Trailers: L.A. Noire "The Technology Behind Performance"

L.A. Noire "The Technology Behind Performance"

A look at the MotionScan performance capture technology used for L.A. Noire.

Watch Video

I hope this game won't shoot itself in the foot be making the faces look too good compared to the rest of the body. From what I've seen so far, the facial animation looks so amazing that it makes the rest of the body look really fake and cartoony.

Looks fairly amazing actually. Scepticism removed for now.

Absolutely amazing animation, it's a pity the technique pretty much renders standards like eyes that arnt matte and skin that isnt paper mache unachieveable.

http://gametestlab.com/images/stories/screens/LANoire/firsttrailer/LA_Noire_4.jpg
^PS2 quality models and textures :(

I'm recognizing a lot of these actors from the late nineties-early 2000's fantasy/sci-fi tv. circuit. I can't wait to be playing it and have my wife say, "Hey, is that Leo? Why is he making a funny face?"

Wow. That looks really nice.

I bet it's a fairly strange experience for the actor to see themselves reanimated like that.

That is pretty damn interesting. Realism as a gameplay mechanic.

What first got me interested in this game is seeing that it has Ken...Cosgrove...Accounts!

Tinq:
I'm recognizing a lot of these actors from the late nineties-early 2000's fantasy/sci-fi tv. circuit. I can't wait to be playing it and have my wife say, "Hey, is that Leo? Why is he making a funny face?"

The lead actor also plays a character in Mad Men. So he's used to period drama type work.

If I may steal a line, "Woah!"

Jesus, that's unbelievably realistic.
Though the graphics and movements of the body itself weren't that realistic.
Kinda made me feel like they recorded someones face with a camera and just pasted it on a computer-generated body.

But yeah, those facial expressions are just...amazing.

Creepy. It's, I dunno, off-putting, I wonder if this'll work without really good textures and body modeling that can keep up. Otherwise, they'll look like scary dolls.

Being a complete animation-nut, I am pretty much sold on this. Those facial animations are just stellar, best I have ever seen. Rockstar have certainly outdone themselves.

seriously.... wow

Casual Shinji:
I hope this game won't shoot itself in the foot be making the faces look too good compared to the rest of the body. From what I've seen so far, the facial animation looks so amazing that it makes the rest of the body look really fake and cartoony.

That's what I was thinking, too.

Awesome face expressions but skin textures aren't very good. Most are too shiny.

Hey, it's cool these videos are coming to the Escapist now as well. Now I don't need to go to Gametrailers for them. Which is great because I usually don't go there.

OT: It's certainly an amazing piece of technology for something an inordinate amount of people will find creepy. Hello uncanny valley!

Holy shit yes, I've been waiting for games to include facial performance capture for ages, this is awesome. With the types of games rockstar makes it'll just go that much further.

I'll be the first to say it though, UNCANNY VALLEY HHHHOOOOOOOOOO!!

Colour me interested. VERY interested. Finally, truly realistic in-game faces. Yes, maybe the faces will totally outshine the rest of the graphic models, but this is a major step forward for gaming.

I love this a lot.
And the fact that it's a detective story (and not another case of crime drama a la GTA or Mafia) has me even more interested.
I'm in awe.

Looking good. Not looking very noire yet but I'll let it slide as long as it delivers a good experience regardless.

Incidentally. The guy in the beginning that says he's glad to help the LAPD. Isn't he the crazy scientist from "Fringe" whose name escapes me??

It really is jaw-dropping. The only problem I have is that the quality of the faces makes the rest of the game look dated.

It looks like a really good game though. And hey, even if it sucks (which it probably won't), it'll still be remembered for its groundbreaking facial animation.

What they didn't mention is that such technology is powered by the actors' souls.

I noticed, when you focus on the face it almost looks real and looks like a real face was pasted on the non real body.

Casual Shinji:

This, this, this.

From what I've seen, I can't stand how hats rest on the head, and how collars connect to the neck. The suit patterns also look flat and drawn compared to the faces. Thankfully, this is a game about detective work and reading people reactions and facial tics. However, just from the videos, I can tell that the exceptional realism in the faces is going to have a negative impact on every other visual asset in the game.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here