Trailers: Total War: Shogun 2 Battle Report

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Total War: Shogun 2 Battle Report

A sample battle of a castle siege in Total War: Shogun 2.

Watch Video

these guys are very entertaining

Sincere outlaw:

Agreed. This game is looking very good!

Looking fun but siege battles were always a big "meh" for me. I can't wait for proper land battles, that's where Total War always shined!

Meh. I want to be excited but I really can't.

They still haven't stepped away from their standard formula enough for me to really get invested. Especially the fact units just CLIMB a wall. You do know even the Japanese figured out how to use ladders at this point in time?

I'll wait for how the actual game plays though before I condemn it but it does look more promising than regular siege battles (which are 80% of my regular games).

Kinda annoying how they can scale pretty much any wall with no equipment. Still, Hyrule ftw.

Were they drunk?

Game looks very good nonetheless.

Game looks good to me. And the period and setting is perfect for total war.
I hoped for rome style cities, hope there will be a few. But a proper land battle is the most fun.
I will buy this, have high hopes.

Sorry for double.

Looks awesome, can't wait.

... Faster...

*curls up in a ball*

Interesting. The siege engine glitch is now gone as there are in fact no siege engines. Should mean a preference of fighting land battles rather than simply retreating back into the castle and breaking their charge with light cavalry. I like.

How the hell are they climbing up that wall?

ManiacEskimo:

I assume they are using handholds in between the rocks.

Oh, you cowardly buggers!

I'm adopting that phrase for every time one of my units runs away in my TW games.

I -want- this game. It looks SO good. Did anyone else notice how horribly outnumbered the player was? D: That and pretty poor generalling. Aaaaaaand I'll stop criticising.

Sincere outlaw:

Very much agreed. :D

Cpt Corallis:

ManiacEskimo:

So why bother building walls then?

ManiacEskimo:

Cpt Corallis:

ManiacEskimo:

I would guess to stop both the cavalry from entering the castle and to limit the amount of enemy soldiers that can enter the castle at one time, since even though they can scale walls, it's not as orderly and quick as just walking through an open gate, which also makes me realize how important protecting those gates are going to be, though granted, I can see by how quickly they scale the walls that the walls themselves might be slightly useless against enemy soldiers

ManiacEskimo:

Its not exactly the most steep thing in the world. And your answer to why build walls, those troops climbing the walls look very lightly equipped. I assume its impossible for the heavier soldiers to get up them.

its so much fun to watch these two bickering with British accents :P

First of all EPIC FAIL man but an honorable defeat i believe. I just can't express how much i want this game! and you going off playing it right in front of me like that doesn't help.

Looks like it is still running off the Empire Total War engine. Meaning it is still broken.

Jamous:
I -want- this game. It looks SO good. Did anyone else notice how horribly outnumbered the player was? D: That and pretty poor generalling. Aaaaaaand I'll stop criticising.

Sincere outlaw:

In castles, you don't need to outnumber the enemy. He was just using very poor tactics. Instead of anticipating the enemy, he just bunched up hid dudes in the same spot and said "Have at you!" Plus he should have paused and checked out the rest of the map...

All in all, though, the battle engine seems pretty good. I think I saw two guys attacking one (no more dueling units). However, that's only half the game. If the campaign sucks, I won't buy.

gigastrike:
Kinda annoying how they can scale pretty much any wall with no equipment. Still, Hyrule ftw.

Samurai did climb walls without equipment in squads. It's historically accurate.

Remember, Japanese people at the times didn't have very developed siege warfare and had next to no specialized equipment to destroy walls. We smug, know-it-all bastards had catapults and bombards, they didn't. No tower, no ballist, no cannon. They had rams, which don't destroy walls and are very unwieldly to move in steep, mountainous terrain.

Besides, the problem with ladders is that they funnel the assaulting troops and slow down the assault, surrendering momemtum and giving time to the defender to organize resistance, concentrate on where the ladders laid and slaughter the climbing buggers one by one. So instead of waiting their turn to climb the ladder and be taken one by one, they would elicit to climb over the wall as fast as possible so that as many soldiers as possible would take over the wall.

ManiacEskimo:

Japanese didn't build castles as strongholds to wait it out in defence for years like in the West, they made castles as chokepoint wings to invite attackers in killing zones, ambush them, and murder them from the flanks and the higher ground. They WANTED to attackers to come in, so they could kill as many as possible and repeal them.

Knowning that, a player would put units onto the wall to wait for them to climb and kill them as they are vulnerable. For reasons unknown, Kieran didn't. He abandoned several wings of the castle to be taken and let them climb the wall unscathered.

Looks fun.

Double A:

Jamous:

Sincere outlaw:

In castles, you don't need to outnumber the enemy. He was just using very poor tactics. Instead of anticipating the enemy, he just bunched up hid dudes in the same spot and said "Have at you!" Plus he should have paused and checked out the rest of the map...

All in all, though, the battle engine seems pretty good. I think I saw two guys attacking one (no more dueling units). However, that's only half the game. If the campaign sucks, I won't buy.

I see your point, but he was outnumbered MASSIVELY. Which obviously didn't help. The main reason he lost is because he let them breach his first wall really easily, I think. As you said. Piss-poor Generalling. Also, yeah, Pause helps a lot. :P

Did anyone else notice the AI had a triforce on their banners.
Looks good never really played total war game before though.

Athlumney:
Did anyone else notice the AI had a triforce on their banners.
Looks good never really played total war game before though.

It is the Go-Hj clan's historical crest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_H%C5%8Dj%C5%8D_clan

Is it just me, or is this bloke really not that good at planning a decent defence? =P

I get that he's trying to put on a little show for the demo, and show off a bit with the camera and scenery and stuff, but really, a little more effort sonny =P

(Archers on the wall line [the other bloke even MENTIONED this to him =P], melee troops NEARBY [which should have been massively re-organised as soon as he saw where the enemy troops deployed] to provide a buffer for the archers. Units climbing the walls needed to face a block of troops at the wall edge, or better still, wedged between two melee units as soon as they reached the top. Archers needing to retreat to the upper levels, guarded by at least two nearby units of infantry. Basically, too few units, spread too thin, poorly organised, and bad co-ordination on the part of the defender.)

I'm pleased with the development of the AI. Instead of them all just massing at one side of the fort like in previous titles, they spread out and attack from different directions. Still looks very much like every other total war game, which might be a criticism, but I don't think you can have too much of a good thing.

This game looks good, I will say that much. However, it does seems like the developers tried to put too much on their bowl at once.

Jamous:

Double A:

Jamous:
I -want- this game. It looks SO good. Did anyone else notice how horribly outnumbered the player was? D: That and pretty poor generalling. Aaaaaaand I'll stop criticising. Very much agreed. :D

I see your point, but he was outnumbered MASSIVELY. Which obviously didn't help. The main reason he lost is because he let them breach his first wall really easily, I think. As you said. Piss-poor Generalling. Also, yeah, Pause helps a lot. :P

Yeah, and he could have sent his general out and attacked the "back attack" archers. That would have delayed them a bit.

I would have put my archers up next to the wall, but I'm not 100% sure if that's something you should do with archers in S2TW.

Double A:

Jamous:

Double A:

Yeah, and he could have sent his general out and attacked the "back attack" archers. That would have delayed them a bit.

I would have put my archers up next to the wall, but I'm not 100% sure if that's something you should do with archers in S2TW.

Yeah, I'd put my archers there, but replace them with swordsman when the opposing force got to where they could climb the walls. Oh, and definitely agreed on the generals point. He used his general AWFULLY. :P

Jamous:

Double A:

Jamous:

Yeah, I'd put my archers there, but replace them with swordsman when the opposing force got to where they could climb the walls. Oh, and definitely agreed on the generals point. He used his general AWFULLY. :P

DERP! CAVALRY WALK INTO MELEE!

This may sound crazy, but maybe CA should let people who have actually played a melee-focused Total War game do their demos for Shogun II.

Like me, for example!

WingedIncubus:

ManiacEskimo:

Japanese didn't build castles as strongholds to wait it out in defence for years like in the West, they made castles as chokepoint wings to invite attackers in killing zones, ambush them, and murder them from the flanks and the higher ground. They WANTED to attackers to come in, so they could kill as many as possible and repeal them.

Knowning that, a player would put units onto the wall to wait for them to climb and kill them as they are vulnerable. For reasons unknown, Kieran didn't. He abandoned several wings of the castle to be taken and let them climb the wall unscathered.

I see, and yeah Kieran did a HORRIBLE job of playing that battle.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here