Steve Butts' Five Favorites of 2010

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Steve Butts' Five Favorites of 2010

Managing editor Steve Butts picks his five favorite games of 2010.

Read Full Article

Yeah, I was miffed at Mass Effect 2 for the same reasons as you.

Still think it's a great game, though. Just like you.

Don't know if I'll ever bother with a second playthrough, though.

But Dragon Age had everything I want in an RPG. Awakening, well, I didn't get to finish that, actually.

The video is just one repeating 7-second advert. Is it supposed to be that?

Yet again, I am impressed with the variety of choices on these GotY lists so far. More and more, my opinion that this is an excellent year for gaming is being reinforced - even though I've only played 2 games released this year (one of which was on your list - I too loved ME2).

I see a looping advert, and the article talks about 4 games. I agree with the one game on the list that I played. I've no experience with the others, but heard good revues for all of them, at least.

I can has counting for Christmas?

I thought the Dwarven place was called Orzammar or something. 0_o

I liked the game choices, but the video doesn't seem to be working and/or even posted.

there be no video

Yeah, video is down. T_T

I haven't played all of those games, but those that I have I agree with and for the same reasons.

OhJohnNo:

Yeah, I have the same thing. Is it just for the Publisher's Club or something?

Jamous:

OhJohnNo:

Yeah, I have the same thing. Is it just for the Publisher's Club or something?

Nope, we're just getting a screen that says 'play again?'. It are broked.

Video's broken. I'll come look again when it's fixed and comment further. Kthxbai.

EDIT: Nice list, but I'm concerned for you a bit... what did Italians ever do to you?!

Pilkingtube:

Crap. I must have WOW on the brain. I fixed the text.

Finally the video works! Nice list, love the variety between the different ones. Finally ME2!

Video Fixed! :D

Nice list; I like most of them there games. Except Awakening is aggravating me with its bugs and glitches.

Of all the editors choices shown so far, Steve has the best taste by far. ANY 2010 list should include N:TW and AC:B or at LEAST one of the two.

Steve Butts:

Pilkingtube:

Crap. I must have WOW on the brain. I fixed the text.

I thought i'd be generous and not mention the WoW addiction ;)

Oh don'y you worry butt's ill be back you will see you will all see! MOWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

Wait so of all the good things that came out this year he only picked Mass Effect 2 and DAA? This is very troubling especially since John picked nothing good(pokemom? Mario best of the decade? You've GOT to be joking).....then Russ before him only picked Fallout New Vegas correctly with a whole lot of bad, horrible and ugly......Red Dead Redemption is OK but its silly zombie DLC. And don't you think it's time to stop worshiping shooter clones? Black Ops, Halo whatever and so on.....short campaigns with poor stories and repetitive multiplayer. If you play one of these you've played them all and none are worth $60 by a long shot.

Three more editors to go and so far I am amazed at the stunning amount of bad taste.

Darth Trethon:
Wait so of all the good things that came out this year he only picked Mass Effect 2 and DAA? This is very troubling especially since John picked nothing good(pokemom? Mario best of the decade? You've GOT to be joking).....then Russ before him only picked Fallout New Vegas correctly with a whole lot of bad, horrible and ugly......Red Dead Redemption is OK but its silly zombie DLC. And don't you think it's time to stop worshiping shooter clones? Black Ops, Halo whatever and so on.....short campaigns with poor stories and repetitive multiplayer. If you play one of these you've played them all and none are worth $60 by a long shot.

Three more editors to go and so far I am amazed at the stunning amount of bad taste.

I have to agree with most of your points. This is a 'favorites' list though. Not best.

Afterglow-:

Darth Trethon:

I have to agree with most of your points. This is a 'favorites' list though. Not best.

It's supposed to be games that the editors liked, not game popularity, innovation, or shininess. Honestly, my favorite game of this year was a Professor Layton game. And there is nothing wrong with that or any of their choices. We all have different tastes.

I'm very happy to see Napoleon: Total War on there. It is my favorite game of the year for sure, so many hours of fun.

Darth Trethon:
snip

That's why they are opinions, they cant be right or wrong.

Of the top 5 game lists so far, this is the one which rocks the most. Besides Rock Band, Steve Butts has narrowed down some of the most awesome and compelling games of 2010 - in my humble opinion of course. ME2 would have made it on my no. 1 on my list, since I've been playing at least 30 playthroughs since its release, and still hungers for more.

A RPG fan that doesn't have Fallout in his top 5? What? :(

EDIT: Didn't see that Fallout was already mentioned in the other editor's top 5. I assume you can't use the same games.

Happy to see Rock Band 3 as someones favourite game of the year :) It's certainly mine and is deserving of more respect than it tends to get most of the time. Overall good list, even though I havn't played ANY of the other games yet, though I really want to play Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, but havn't gotten a chance yet since I've been busy.

I was surprised your top game is Rock Band 3, but that's cool because it's something new and I didn't expect it. I was assuming it'd be God of War or Black Ops for it's terrific battle gameplay style but I was wrong. Good choices of course, and makes me more interested in War games because those graphics looked impressive, more then most would put into games like that (my opinion, sorry).

Nabuggeon Total Bug? Seriously?

Onyx Oblivion:
Yeah, I was miffed at Mass Effect 2 for the same reasons as you.

Tbh, I love RPG elements, but I didn't actually miss them in ME2. I felt they were done somewhat poorly in the first ME and the improvements on gameplay more than made up for the lack of the ability to upgrade a pile of things.

OT: I wish I could agree with you on Napoleon and your subsequent wish for the American Civil War but frankly I couldn't be happier that the next installment is Japan, mainly because of one reason - Total War series functions MUCH better imo and is much more interesting when there's a focus on melee rather than ranged. I like being able to utilize both, melee front, ranged back on support fire but you don't really get much of this in periods with guns. I have to say though, the ship combat is pretty much amazing, I thought I'd hate the feature (didn't play the British conquests), but really loved it.

Oh and aside my dislike of the American Civil War (in the sense that it was boring), there's just not enough factions there to make a Total War game, they focus on the conflict between several civilizations, not civil wars between just two factions from the same country. It doesn't really have any room for anything interesting, all the soldiers would be more or less the same with just a slightly different accent and a different leader/ideology, no room for special units and all that.

Oh and Rock Band... well cool if you're into party games with non-gamers, but personally I'm not much for that (and of note, I'm not a console fan and those games lose all point when played on a keyboard really). I can't consider it much of a real game though to be honest because it totally boils down to gameplay with very little background and the players are so focused on watching what they have to press next that the little background that's there might as well be a few paper cutouts of the band :\

Darth Trethon:

I shake my head in wonder at your inability to understand that opinions cannot be incorrect. It's not bad taste, they just like games you don't.

In all honesty you just come across as somebody who's very angry people like what you don't like, and believes people cannot hold an opinion different from your own. You dismissively state all those things as if they're facts.

Now what are your top 5 games of the year?

Darth Trethon:
Blah dee blah

If i told you my favourite game was Custer's Revenge, would i be wrong?

CLEARLY FUCKING NOT

So, Steve Butts. Must've been an awkward childhood, eh?

Woo total war makes a list! <3 total war series :D Fleet Battles are epic! (especially when you manage a critical hit and BOOM!)

poiumty:

My only consolation is that now I can just ban the crap out of anyone who makes fun of it.

Steve Butts:

poiumty:

My only consolation is that now I can just ban the crap out of anyone who makes fun of it.

Steve Butts, let me say that I love you.
No no, that's not right. I wuv you.

DA was awesome, ME2 was awesome, I've been playing Total War since it came out, and the AC series is a blast.
You seem like someone I'd get along great with at LAN parties. Someone I could play through Baldur's Gate with multiplayer, or who would swap great RPG moment stories. That is awesome, and you are awesome.

Great list! I look forward to seeing the rest of the staff picks!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)