Susan Arendt's Five Favorites of 2010

Pages 1 2 NEXT

These are Susan's five favorite games from 2010. Can you guess what they are?

Read Full Article

Sadly, I have not played any of those games. Happy 4000th post!

Don't worry I'll be getting ME2 for Chrismass

That's the second time ME2 has appeared on an editor's list, and to be honest I'm not surprised. It is pretty damn awesome.

Can't wait for the remaining editors' choices.

I'm Commander Shepard, and Susan is the second of my favourite editors on the escapist...

And this is why I like Susan as an editor, picking games based on fun and what she would suggest to her friends.

Is anyone surprised that a game with a rainbow unicorn made her list? No? Good.

I should really get Costume Quest already, huh?

But I was hoping that PSN would have put it on sale for Christmas. And they didn't...

ME2 was the only game ont hat list ive played and i have to agre eon its spot in number 1 <3

Hey, babey... I'll teach you some dance moves :D... Hey what's that shiny read dot doing on the top of my hea- boom!-

Okay in all seriousness... Good list... Sadly the only game I've played on that list was ME2 which is my Game of the Year so far.

I really, really want to play Enslaved. It's next on my Gamefly list, but I keep having this surging notion to go and buy it right now without ever having played more than the demo. As for Mass Effect, since I just got a new computer that's a bit more up to snuff than my old one, I'll be checking them out soon enough.

Well, that was definitely a girly list. Not that it's a bad thing, but besides Mass Effect 2, I had little interest in any of those games. And I doubt I enjoyed Mass Effect for the same reasons she did.

I guess that just goes to show you how different girls are from guys, even in the modern age of no-chivalry and equality.

FunkyBlubberBuddy:
Well, that was definitely a girly list. Not that it's a bad thing, but besides Mass Effect 2, I had little interest in any of those games. And I doubt I enjoyed Mass Effect for the same reasons she did.

I guess that just goes to show you how different girls are from guys, even in the modern age of no-chivalry and equality.

Charming.

Well, go read my review of ME2 and tell me if I liked it for the same reasons as you or not.

Show tunes?
Was I playing the same Mass Effect 2?

I didn't really like the probes a lot either, but between the marginal improvement from the last game and probing Uranus, I'll forgive Bioware.

I was actually kind of expecting to see Fable III on this list. Color me surprised.

Though, I doubt I'll be going out and getting Dance Central any time soon. I feel bad for not playing Costume Quest yet, but I'm still kind of mad and Schaffer and co. for Brutal Legend... such a disappointment.

I also liked Enslaved, Susan. I'm glad I'm not the only one. And speaking as a guy, I can safely say that any game that features clobbering robots with a bo staff is decidedly non-girly.

Susan Arendt:

FunkyBlubberBuddy:

Charming.

Well, go read my review of ME2 and tell me if I liked it for the same reasons as you or not.

The Eye of Sauron[1] spotted him banjumping, so you might have to wait a bit for his answer.

[1] Yes, the IT team has "a great Eye, lidless, wreathed in flame" that we use

Burck:
Show tunes?

I didn't really like the probes a lot either, but between the marginal improvement from the last game and probing Uranus, I'll forgive Bioware.

Mordin Solus sings Gilbert and Sullivan. And it's awesome.

Susan: No Alan Wake??? For shame!

Before I read the article or any of the posts, I scrolling down here and doing what it suggested: Guessing. Well, I'm guessing one game, anyway. Alan Wake. First spot perhaps? Or Mass Effect 2? Now to go read!

EDIT: Nuts. I lost. Well, I least I got Mass Effect 2 right.

Wait, I thought I saw this a few days ago, except there were completely different games (most I hadn't heard of). Am I crazy?

Edit: Nevermind. It was last years that I saw. Oops.

Well I didn't play any of the games besides Mass Effect 2, which is on my list for favorite game of all time, so very good choice on the number 1.

JEBWrench:

Burck:
Show tunes?

Mordin Solus sings Gilbert and Sullivan. And it's awesome.

Susan: No Alan Wake??? For shame!

It actually was on the original version of this list, but I axed it at the last second. I do adore that game; it just barely missed making the cut.

Susan Arendt:

It actually was on the original version of this list, but I axed it at the last second. I do adore that game; it just barely missed making the cut.

Understandable; way too many excellent games came out this year.

(My friends and I do our own top lists, and I had to struggle to choose between Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2).

Haven't played those games except for Mass Effect 2, and it was a huge letdown. Poorly written game with a a lot of grinding from a point A to point B and repetitive mini games. I suppose Susan doesn't like RPGs.

...Ohhhh so this is Susan speaking. Nice review... yeah now I can see why you didn't like my e-mail offering that topic of Girl Gamers *sigh* I guess I didn't know everything bout girls plus it lacked any solid proof. Just know i'm sorry and have high respects for women, and along with that I agree with #2 the nature itself is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Woot I was waiting for your list Susan:)

I agreed with most of them (and I'll always be in your dept for recommending PvZ to me!!) and btw I did take your advice and played LC&GL...it was/is fun. I'm not a huge fan of Enslaved though, the combat etc really killed it for me and I just played through it once. I enjoyed Xmen Origins: Wolverine more for instance.

Thanks for so many great reviews and for pointing out some of the games my wife and I can enjoy playing together. You have a take on video games that is a bit different then the other reviewers which seems to work well for those of us that are married or just slightly weird *or both!*.

Happy Holidays!:)

Still don't think Lara Croft, be it a good game or not, epitomizes the best and most memorable aspects of the series.. but a very solid list overall. I must admit it's so nice to see ME2 not getting forgotten this GOTY season seeing as how it came out so early in the year.

We have the same number one! And Enslaved makes me top five as well. I love the combat, though. Up the difficulty and it provides a challenge, and the checkpoints are frequent enough to encourage the desire to be challenged. The chase sequences were well done. The only thing I really didn't like? Pigsy. Talk about bashing you over the head with a character's eccentricities.

Susan Arendt:

Read Full Article

I agreed with Mass Effect 2, and Guardian of Light.
They were both amazing, and it was great to see a good Lara game (FINALLY).

Yeah, this is my favourite top 5 games so far. And probably funniest. Enslaved at number 2, yayz :D

Susan Arendt:

Read Full Article

Really nice list (just finished playing that latest Lara Croft in co-op with my friend. It IS awesome), although I felt a little bit sad. Why? Because after your review, I really hoped, you'll put Heavy Rain somewhere in here. Now, after Greg's list, there will be only one more, and I'm seriously worried, that it will be left out completely :(

Double post. Disregard

Yossarian1507:

Susan Arendt:

Read Full Article

Really nice list (just finished playing that latest Lara Croft in co-op with my friend. It IS awesome), although I felt a little bit sad. Why? Because after your review, I really hoped, you'll put Heavy Rain somewhere in here. Now, after Greg's list, there will be only one more, and I'm seriously worried, that it will be left out completely :(

I thought about Heavy Rain, and while I appreciate it, am glad it exists, and think everyone should play it, it just wasn't as much pure fun as the stuff on my list. Like I said at the beginning of the post, I'm two people: the professional game journalist and the gamer. The game journalist would put Heavy Rain on a year-end list, absolutely, but the gamer...a top 10 list, perhaps, but not top 5.

I must say, that was a pretty girly list. I'm disappointed in you for perpetualising stereotypes, susan! As a female übernerd, I'd think you were above that. Still a good list, and they were all great games that I've enjoyed, I'm not complaining or anything. It just wasn't what I was expecting.

YAY
now I'm convinced that at least one human being works at the escapist

thank you for showing that a casual game or even a game with one or two flaws can kick the ass of any fancy-shmancy triple A sequel or rip-off any day

and I'm glad to see that Mass Effect 2 is finally someone's number one
your top 5 makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside

Enslaved #2
Mass Effect 2 #1
ROCK ON!!!

Now I just have to try #s 3 & 4 (Cause, let's face it, this slightly pale, former goth boy just aint fly enough for it, plain and simple).

Yay Dance Central! Of all the games I've played this year, I was most skeptical of this one. And I was totally wrong to be. It is a heap of party fun, even if you suck at dancing.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here