Critical Miss: Lord of the Wrongs

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Lord of the Wrongs

It only matters because you think it matters.

Read Full Article

It was the English guy who really got me. It that a gladstone he's swinging around?

Edit: Or is it a teapot?

Dey' see me minin', dey hatin'.

I'm going to be laughing at that line for days.

I think there already are English orcs. They're called football fans.

sarahvait:
It was the English guy who really got me. It that a gladstone he's swinging around?

Edit: Or is it a teapot?

Same, its tea pot
' I would very muck like to murder you'
XD

I gotta say, as much as I like the idea of "you can play a role even though if you don't exactly fit the physical description of it, but you can do what the character does, no matter of your skin color and shit", I gotta say, sometimes it just goes too far and it straight up changes the original character

still, the last panel was just genious ^-^

Ugh! The Lily Allen lyric! Outta nowhere!

But some of these possibilities are indeed funny. Then again I've never been a die-hard LOTR fan so...what the heck do I know other than to enjoy the drama around it all? *smirks*

I want a "You Shall Not Pass" sign like that.

I know the perfict spot on my front lawn.....

I think the best part was the female nazgul because you could tell XD

"Colored hobbits"

Samwise was originally black... read the book... seriously people...
Furthermore Aladdin was set in China (Seriously, again, read the original).

Complain THEN not now.

Grey Carter:
Cory Rydell and Grey Carter think you're just evil, your just some racist who can't tie our laces, your point of view is medieval

To be fair, the Lord of the Rings IS medieval.
Assuming that the one Black Dwarf in the Hobbit is a gangsta and having him hold the drugs while the white dwarf makes the pitch,
now THAT'S racist
Plus, The wizards were gay in the book, or do you not recall Saruman's "cloak of many colors"?

im totally for an english orc! Everything else boooo! XD

Meh he's got a good point, lets make Gandalf 2 feet tall have bright pink hair and speak only as if he's got a nail through his tongue. Oh wait no that'll make the character look rather silly.

Here's a better idea! lets remake braveheart but instead of William Wallace being a white guy we'll make him a Chinese midget with no legs. Oh wait no that'll be rather historically inaccurate and insulting.

Here's another great idea! lets take a race that lives in a country with a similar climate to England and throw the occasional black person in! Oh wait that makes no sense as that race wouldn't of evolved the skin pigment because the sun isn't that strong in the setting they're in.

Don't give me the bullshit that its a fantasy novel, its in a low fantasy setting so although it has magic and shite it still adheres to some rules, for example if I booted Frodo off a cliff gravity would make him fall.

Not casting black/Asian people for hobbits is not racist its common sense, yes maybe have tanned hobbits because that is possible (hobbits near Bree are more tanned I think). Anyone who thinks this is racist really needs to grow up and stop being so bloody PC.

If a film was being made on Martin Luther King and the actor was white I'd be really pissed off, it doesn't matter if one is real and the other is not the book states that they are white and therefore if you want to stay true to the book (which they do I'm guessing with LOTR) then only white people should be hobbits.

Or if you want Pink haired 2 foot Gandalf would be awesome.

Edit: Have to say love the last panel goes to show how short sighted you really are. Gandalf wasn't gay in the films the actor was. His sexual orientation had no effect on him being a white old man and playing Gandalf just as he is in the books. Legolas's problem is merely a continuity error that was over looked the rest of Bloom was ok in relation to the books (apart from his acting)

As long as they don't do anything too offensive, it's all good

Baalthazaq:
"Colored hobbits"

Furthermore Aladdin was set in China (Seriously, again, read the original).

Complain THEN not now.

Really? I was sure he was just tanned due to being a gardener. Does it describe him as dark skinned? Because I'm dark skinned but very much white

This is probably the first time where I've been able to work out which song the lyrics come from :P

Female Nazgul so pretty.

Hoc mihi placet.

Gingerman:
Meh he's got a good point, lets make Gandalf 2 feet tall have bright pink hair and speak only as if he's got a nail through his tongue. Oh wait no that'll make the character look rather silly.

Here's a better idea! lets remake braveheart but instead of William Wallace being a white guy we'll make him a Chinese midget with no legs. Oh wait no that'll be rather historically inaccurate and insulting.

Here's another great idea! lets take a race that lives in a country with a similar climate to England and throw the occasional black person in! Oh wait that makes no sense as that race wouldn't of evolved the skin pigment because the sun isn't that strong in the setting they're in.

Don't give me the bullshit that its a fantasy novel, its in a low fantasy setting so although it has magic and shite it still adheres to some rules, for example if I booted Frodo off a cliff gravity would make him fall.

Not casting black/Asian people for hobbits is not racist its common sense, yes maybe have tanned hobbits because that is possible (hobbits near Bree are more tanned I think). Anyone who thinks this is racist really needs to grow up and stop being so bloody PC.

If a film was being made on Martin Luther King and the actor was white I'd be really pissed off, it doesn't matter if one is real and the other is not the book states that they are white and therefore if you want to stay true to the book (which they do I'm guessing with LOTR) then only white people should be hobbits.

Or if you want Pink haired 2 foot Gandalf would be awesome.

Pretty much this. As a Tolkien scholar, the notion of black and asian hobbits repulses me. It is not a matter of racism, but a matter of simple logic.

PS: Oh, and actually, there really WAS a female Nazgul among the Nine. Was called Amraphel, if memory serves me well.

hahaha
i loved the female Nazgul
thats so hot!!

hahahaha

There's that freaky bird again! It's more distracting than the unused white space!

Baalthazaq:

I did read the book and I don't remember this, but I doubt it came up that often.

I request a quote for proof.

Gingerman:
lets remake braveheart but instead of William Wallace being a white guy we'll make him a Chinese midget with no legs. Oh wait no that'll be rather historically inaccurate and insulting.

Braveheart is already rather historically inaccurate and insulting.

Ah, female Nazgul. Almost as controversial as the Female Space Marine.

Fronzel:

Baalthazaq:

I did read the book and I don't remember this, but I doubt it came up that often.

Gingerman:
lets remake braveheart but instead of William Wallace being a white guy we'll make him a Chinese midget with no legs. Oh wait no that'll be rather historically inaccurate and insulting.

Yep part of the reason why I didn't like it as it wasn't true to the history it was trying to tell which further proves my point on this whole "Staying true" to the source.

Samwise wasn't black in the book but it did state his skin was darker than the average hobbit then again he was a gardener so he probably got a tan.

Sorry if I come off a bit hostile there but this attiude to race is dangerous as it sugar coats the whole damn problem by saying "Oh no see we like you! look we put a black man into the film! we aren't racist honestly!" (not saying you have this attitude but it seems the author of this bland comic does)

Make a character black because it suits the character not just to seem not racist.

I love the red shoes on the horse in panel 2. Also, many funny points, possibly my favorite CM strip yet.

Gingerman:

Fronzel:

Baalthazaq:

Gingerman:

Yep part of the reason why I didn't like it as it wasn't true to the history it was trying to tell which further proves my point on this whole "Staying true" to the source.

Samwise wasn't black in the book but it did state his skin was darker than the average hobbit then again he was a gardener so he probably got a tan.

Sorry if I come off a bit hostile there but this attiude to race is dangerous as it sugar coats the whole damn problem by saying "Oh no see we like you! look we put a black man into the film! we aren't racist honestly!" (not saying you have this attitude but it seems the author of this bland comic does)

Make a character black because it suits the character not just to seem not racist.

You remember that 2% of people that saw the newest Star Trek movie and hated it? A lot of the producers and media just chalked it up to people that wouldn't be happy no mater what they did because they were too worried about all the details (i.e. Trekies).
I believe you are in that 2%. If you don't like it that much based on principle, don't watch it. I, on the other hand, will see it and may or may not enjoy it based on the overall product, just like the majority of the world.

Hahaa. Funny stuff. But i kinda feel bad for the balrog, Can't you just outrun him or just walk up some stairs get away?

I can picture a lot of adventures making fun of that poor balrog. :P

I know there's a joke in there about the female Nazgul, but I just can't figure out what it is. Just the fact they were all men?

Zhalath:
Ah, female Nazgul. Almost as controversial as the Female Space Marine.

The logical compromise then is to make a cosmetically similar but obviously inferior Nazgul for the females. It worked for Warhammer after all.

teh_Canape:
I gotta say, as much as I like the idea of "you can play a role even though if you don't exactly fit the physical description of it, but you can do what the character does, no matter of your skin color and shit", I gotta say, sometimes it just goes too far and it straight up changes the original character

still, the last panel was just genious ^-^

Well if i wanna see "you can play a role even though if you don't exactly fit the physical description of it, but you can do what the character does, no matter of your skin color and shit" i dont pay for a million dollar movie, i just watch a cheap LARP ....

Dammit im sick of these British sterotypes! Im going to go kill a motherfucker.. now.. wheres my teapot?!

Laughed at almost every panel, though i thought they were gonna make jokes about elves being gay.

That english guy is hilarious.

In all honesty, being tanned myself I have no problem having white/slighly white hobbits in a movie. It's just how the universe was made, if people think it's discrimination/racist, they should seriously start doing something about their life and accept a universe created by a single writer won't contain all of their values/morales/sense of judgement.

Gingerman:

I'm not very familiar with LotR mythology, so perhaps you could explain a few things to me. First, is the Shire the only place where Hobbits are found? If so, is the Shire located on an isolated island or otherwise completely different from the rest of Middle Earth? If the answer to either of those questions is "no", and evolution as we understand it truly takes place on middle earth as you seem to be saying, then I don't see why there wouldn't be non-white Hobbits. If Hobbits aren't exclusive to the Shire, then you likely would see the occasional non-white, just as you saw the occasional Moorish merchant/travelling scholar/physician in Medieval England. If they are supposedly exclusive to the Shire, and the Shire isn't geographically isolated and/or unique in some way, then it's likely that other Hobbit-like peoples would have evolved to fill the same evolutionary niche that Hobbits filled in the Shire, similar to Neanderthals in our world. That is, of course, assuming that evolution in LotR works in the same way as on our world, if at all, but if it doesn't, then it somewhat damages your "evolved the skin pigment" argument.

Is anyone else reminded of that one Dave Chappelle episode where Paul Mooney commented on movies?

Ernil Menegil:

PS: Oh, and actually, there really WAS a female Nazgul among the Nine. Was called Amraphel, if memory serves me well.

Adunaphel. Invented by Iron Crown Enterprises. Tolkien, by contrast, maintained that the Nazgul were all "kings, sorcerers and warriors old". "King" and "sorceror" are both masculine (the female terms would be, respectively, "queen" and "sorceress"), and the witch-king wouldn't have been so skeptical at the idea of a female warrior if he had been working with one since the Second Age. That would be like Aragorn suddenly forgetting that hobbits existed and asking Arwen what those four midgets were doing at his big celebration.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here