285: The Greatest Game Never Played

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Hi, I'm SpaceJunk from freeAllegiance.

Some of our grandpas take newbie training a bit too seriously. They used to carry the missiles by hand in their time, upslope both ways. I'd say just pop in the main server and ask if someone could give you a quick flying and situational awareness lesson in a side server. The guides are like learning to drive without a car.

Also, if you find your escape pod killed very often when your rank is still below 5, that's probably a nice veteran saving you the ride back to base.

noles82:

Falseprophet:
I'm still curious why space-combat games took a nose-dive in the late 90s. I know the reason they were prevalent in the first place was because you could make a good one even with the technological limitations of the time. ... Why isn't this being done anymore?

I've been scratching my head over this same question for the past 10 years. Freespace 2 was the last space-combat simulator I played, and it was fantastic. I looked forward with fervor at the increasingly monstrous capabilities of powerhouse systems, and could only anticipate how amazing the next generation of space simulators would be. But that game never came.

Hey you guys know that the X series has been running strong this whole time right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_(game_series)

I'm playing X3 TC at the moment

SJ:
Hi, I'm SpaceJunk from freeAllegiance.

Some of our grandpas take newbie training a bit too seriously. They used to carry the missiles by hand in their time, upslope both ways. I'd say just pop in the main server and ask if someone could give you a quick flying and situational awareness lesson in a side server. The guides are like learning to drive without a car.

Also, if you find your escape pod killed very often when your rank is still below 5, that's probably a nice veteran saving you the ride back to base.

Cool, nice of you to pop in. I will check it out but just not for a few weeks, got college work to do over the holidays :(

Falseprophet:
I'm still curious why space-combat games took a nose-dive in the late 90s.

If you check Google Ngrams, the whole science fiction genre plunged in the 90s. Maybe the effects on the game industry lagged a few years.

http://ngrams.googlelabs.com/graph?content=science+fiction&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=0&smoothing=3

Grampy_bone:
The thing about Allegiance is it has a ridiculously steep learning curve. That, combined with the rather insular community means that new players are more likely to be shunned and kicked than welcomed and tolerated.

Some games deserve to die.

Lying trolls deserve to... live under a bridge far from here.

C-45:

Grampy_bone:
The thing about Allegiance is it has a ridiculously steep learning curve. That, combined with the rather insular community means that new players are more likely to be shunned and kicked than welcomed and tolerated.

Have you tried playing it at all? The community is really nice and while the learning curve is like running into a brick wall they have the flight school and newbie games to help.

I played it when it came out, like ten years ago. The fact that it may be good *now* is pretty irrelevant. Ten years and hundreds of hours of personal work and money from fans to make the game good? Yeah I'm going to go ahead and call that a Fail right there.

This article is full of whining and passing the buck. Oh boo hoo we didn't get enough marketing wah wah wah! The audience is never wrong; if your game was good then it would have been successful, end of story. There's something to be said about a game which doesn't require "cadet flight school training" in order to play.

God I had no idea this game was still alive; it must be fucking ancient...

Well, there is a bunch of texture and model updates in the artwork forum and external sites. Plenty of people still runs vanilla or turns eye candy off to get slightly better visibility, so the newer stuff doesn't get featured in gameplay videos very often. The good thing is that even a netbook can cope with very crowded brawls.

Grampy_bone:

C-45:

Grampy_bone:

Have you tried playing it at all? The community is really nice and while the learning curve is like running into a brick wall they have the flight school and newbie games to help.

I played it when it came out, like ten years ago. The fact that it may be good *now* is pretty irrelevant. Ten years and hundreds of hours of personal work and money from fans to make the game good? Yeah I'm going to go ahead and call that a Fail right there.

This article is full of whining and passing the buck. Oh boo hoo we didn't get enough marketing wah wah wah! The audience is never wrong; if your game was good then it would have been successful, end of story. There's something to be said about a game which doesn't require "cadet flight school training" in order to play.

Troll on, while we play the most awesome game ever.

PS
Don't stop trolling!

Wow, just wow. What on earth happened? I am downloading it now. I have a date in five hours, but I've got a few hours to kill.

I read the first paragraph and immediately thought "Ender's Game"

It's a damn shame how games like these aren't made anymore.
Too had this was never released on PSN/XBL, I think it might have done well in this 'modern age' of MP only.

Played this game. It was terrible. Great idea, but the execution was poor, possibly due to the time it was created, I'm sure if it were created now it would be much better but that could be said of anything. When I played it (The free version) It was buggy, laggy, tiny player base (Expected) and anything but user friendly.

In regards to the whole commander thing, kinda like Battlefield 2142, in the respect that, while yes, one person is in charge and gives orders, not even half the people listen to those orders, and nothing is more frustrating than being in charge with no one doing what you tell them to and losing because of it.

I bought and played the game back in the day. Too bad I was too young to really appreciate it...

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here