The Big Picture: Continanity

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Continanity

This week, Bob examines the insanities of continuity.

Watch Video

I have only three words:

Bat pirate. AWESOME.

As a casual comic book fan, even I've gotten used to the alternate reality concept. It's allot of fun to wonder "What if..."
and I second the post above

My brain hurt trying to understand all of this.

Then again I not really into DC comic or their backstories. Still a interesting topic overall.

Umm... Shouldn't the title be 'Continuity' and not 'Continanity'?

Thanks for explaining... as a casual fan I've always been curious about the multi-verse and how it came to be and why... consider that curiosity stomped dead. As big as I am on multi-dimensional concepts this sounds like wayyyyy to deep of a rabbit hole to throw myself down.

Nexus4:

Continuity + Insanity = Continanity. It's listed in the Earth 3 version of Webster's Dictionary. :D

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:
I have only three words:

Bat pirate. AWESOME.

No, it is ASEWOME‹BERPWNAGEARGASMCHUCKNORRISCAKEISALIE.

And holy toodles, thanks Bob for at least trying to give us more insight to the deeper DC universe. You could actually make a Marvel episode next.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:
I have only three words:

Bat pirate. AWESOME.

Dammit, ninja'd. Could we have space pirate-batman too, DC? Pleeease?

Could'nt agree more Bob. Comic continuities have become such a complete mess for outsiders such as myself, that TV and films interpretations of these characters have actually become the ONLY way I've been able to enjoy either DC or MARVEL comic characters.

And Marvel would never have done...

Oh...

DCs in-continuity was always a joke though. As much as Aunt May's immortality.

It's somewhat fitting that Spidergirl is far more of a badass than Batgirl ever was. In fact they had to cripple her to make her popular.

I don't know, comics really need to understand their audience a little better, or at least understand themselves.

300lb. Samoan:

Continuity + Insanity = Continanity. It's listed in the Earth 3 version of Webster's Dictionary. :D

Heheheheheh

it'll take a while for me to get into comics

bartholen:

No, it is ASEWOME‹BERPWNAGEARGASMCHUCKNORRISCAKEISALIE.

Ugh, I think reading that word just gave me some kind of Internet Meme Diabetes.

Nexus4:

Insane continuity.

Also, best episode of the series so far, by far.

Pirate Batman made my day!

I'm pretty damn sure I'm a geek now, because while I don't obsess over comic book continuity, I do obsess over (some) game continuity. I remember having a huge hissy fit when Nintendo didn't properly follow up Super Mario Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy 2, acting as though none of it ever happened. Which, if you've seen the ending of Super Mario Galaxy, you could probably make a guess about why or how that happened, but it's not like Nintendo's actually acknowledging it.

But I digress, neat video!

Hasen't Batman had just about the most alternate reality/universe settings of all the DC heros?

I've always wanted to get into comics but due to things like this I never know where to start.

I actual find it strange sometimes that casual readers of comics don't like the multi-verse concept, its what they are getting everytime they watch a cartoon of the series.

Just read each comic or series of comics as its own little story, comics are written to accommodate these days, I've read in articles and interviews that "every comic is someone's first comic" is a writing credo, and that aside from crossover events most first pages of character thought bubbles are devoted to recapping the story-so-far.

Then I remember how I am a geek, and keeping track of this stuff for me is like 'remembering where the salt shaker is' is to normal people. It is just part of my own anti-life equation, destroying my life.

my god 52 sucked ! and I am a casual reader

Is there anything comics can't do?

Yes, the whole deal with Batman was very strange, indeed. Like with any Grant Morrison book (that I've read) you have to read it all in one, convenient package. It may not make as much sense, but you don't have to wait months for the damn thing to finish.

Having read through "52" in trade paperbacks, I have to say that it underlines certain problems with scale when world-spanning threats and the heroes capable of dealing with them run hand-in-hand with everything else.

A creature capable of eating entire universes is headed this way!

An alien race that has enslaved entire civilizations is coming towards earth!

Meanwhile, Steel is having family issues, and Lex Luthor is scheming to control Metropolis... Wow, who gives a flying f#@$.

i thought flash was marvel, and did batman ever have another backstory? one that didn't evolve watching his parents die in a dark alley and travelling the world (this one, or at least so i though before this episode, maybe he was on some of the others) seeking out masters of martial art and meditation to become the best human ever!, or did they just do a spin on the old one, like maybe he saw his parents die in a bright street.

And this is why I don't read comics...

Nobody's found "The huntress" attractive since the Rob Liefeld appeal of 1992. They didn't keep her around for the sex appeal.

Thrust:

and you have horrible taste.

That was a fantastic video, Bob! My much more hardcore comic fan friend and mentor has been trying to help me get my head around the multiverse stuff for a while now and this pretty much cleared everything up.

And as regards 52, you're not wrong- it's one of the best things I've ever read to be honest.
So. Damn. Good.

I've heard Final Crisis itself is kind of.. self indulgent, but that's because Grant Morrison was involved.. that said, I plan on giving that a shot soon as I get my head around the bizarre happenings of The Return of Bruce Wayne. Finally picked up the last two issues and actually really enjoyed them. Bat-pirate sadly deosn't look as cool as his cover, Bat-cowboy was very badly executed but Bat-detective and Bat-

A good read, though!

You really know your stuff, Bob, I have to commend you on the way you waded through what's arguably the trickiest thing to discuss in with DC comics.

And now, to go and start reading Blackest Night....

This is why my comic book reading avoids DC and Marvel alike.... with the exception of Deadpool... Deadpool is just too hilariously awesome to pass up.

This is what galls me. Whenever I've tried to fill in friends about Batman's history in the past, I could keep it pretty simple. Joker killed the second Robin, shot Batgirl so she became Oracle, Robin grew up and became Nightwing, etc.

Suddenly I'm having to tell people that Dick is Batman because Bruce went time traveling because a god shot him, and that the second Robin is alive again because an alternate reality's Superman punched time. Whenever I try to update my friends these days I just get dirty looks and the occasional "that's retarded".

llagrok:
Nobody's found "The huntress" attractive since the Rob Liefeld appeal of 1992. They didn't keep her around for the sex appeal.

Thrust:

and you have horrible taste.

*High fives LLagrok* Damn right! I loved 52- its scope was... cosmic, never mind galactic. A wonderful journey through the DC Universes and histories.

And check out Huntress' new costume in Hush.... all I'll say is daaaaaamn.

Bat....pirate? W. T. F....

Thrust:

Total agreement. Just further solidified why I usually stay away from Big Two superhero books. There are titles I've followed religiously in the past, but the only one that comes close to a DC/Marvel superhero book was Joe Kelly's run on Deadpool.

I see these comics multiverses more as a mythology than a literary continuity. If you really pore over the old Greco-Roman myths, you'll find multiple character and story interpretations from writers living around the same time. Compare how Aeschylus handled the gods in his plays compared to Sophocles or Euripedes, for example. There's a lot of material to be mined for stories, so I'm perfectly cool with alternate interpretations of characters and stories. Some of the best stories have been "Elseworlds" or "What Ifs?".

But all those options and complexities make "gateway drugs" that introduce new readers to the universe without overwhelming them all the more essential. Like the Ultimate universe was supposed to do, and what Marvel Adventures actually could do. I watched the old crappy Hercules cartoon long before I read the Iliad, after all.

Rocketboy13:
I actual find it strange sometimes that casual readers of comics don't like the multi-verse concept, its what they are getting everytime they watch a cartoon of the series.

You have a good point. Devoted sports fans have no trouble tracking the statistics of dozens of players and teams over multiple seasons, dedicated soap opera fans follow multiple plotlines and characters, and Lost fans...do whatever it is Lost fans do. Are comics really exceptional in their complexity?

so where do Blackest Night and Brightest Day fit in?

OMFG! Batman as a pirate?! That is so fucking awesome on so many levels...

Evilsanta:
OMFG! Batman as a pirate?! That is so fucking awesome on so many levels...

It's good but like I said... he doesn't look like he does on the cover. Sadly :(

300lb. Samoan:
Thanks for explaining... as a casual fan I've always been curious about the multi-verse and how it came to be and why... consider that curiosity stomped dead. As big as I am on multi-dimensional concepts this sounds like wayyyyy to deep of a rabbit hole to throw myself down.

Nexus4:

Actually, I thought it was Continuity + Inanity. It isn't so much insane as it is inane, silly, and completely unnecessary. You want the universe where the JLA is the bad guys? Then write books in that universe and never cross over to the main universe. It's easy.

Sigh, continuity, the reason why DC has become such joke.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here