Escape to the Movies: The Fighter

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Fighter

This week, Bob gets into the ring with The Fighter.

Watch Video

I was actually gonna pass on this one, now I want to see it but my cinema doesn't have it...

Dis film is some good Chowda
Mass FTW!

Yeah, not a huge fan of Wahlburg or Bale, so i'm probably going to be sticking to True Grit. Otherwise, entertaining review. Loved the analysis of Oscar voting politics. It's curious to see how small things like age can affect an entire media. Happy Holidays Bob, and i'll see you next year.

That's right, screw Gulliver's Travels. Jack Black has sold his satire abilities since he was co-staring with John Cusack in High Fidelity. The books were so funny, and now it's just slapstick.

Another Massachusetts area film?
I feel I have to see this out of obligation, though I wonder why Hollywood is big on Mass lately?
Ah, well, it's not like we don't deserve it.

So I'm not the only one who hates that "Run this Town" is in almost every freaking movie commercial.

Yes its a good song, but I'm sick of hearing it all the time. Not to mention its kind of old now.

Honestly, I was kinda expecting True Grit (I know Bob has had his eye on it), but this was nice.
Nice crack with the whole old Oscar guys. ALthough I have to acknowledge that I kinda forgot aout Shutter Island, which came out way back in February and turns out it was one of my favorites of this last year.

Merry Christmas, Bob.

I guess this also explains why True Grit came out on December 23rd... I mean, I'm not really getting the Christmas vibe from that one either, but apparently it's really good and it has a plethora (yes, a plethora!) of good actors as well.

A bit disappointed that you didn't review True Grit to be honest... yet another underdog boxing movie vs an actual western (When is the last time one of those came out?) and you picked the Rocky clone :P.

pleistocene didn't have mammoths millyens of years before that.

Inspiration for what to see when I get bored. =]

Awesome, I really wanted to see this. Even moreso now.

benbenthegamerman:
Yeah, not a huge fan of Wahlburg or Bale, so i'm probably going to be sticking to True Grit. Otherwise, entertaining review. Loved the analysis of Oscar voting politics. It's curious to see how small things like age can affect an entire media. Happy Holidays Bob, and i'll see you next year.

Not a bale fan?...

Wow... How can you not be a fan?

Wahlburg, Bale and Adams in a movie together. Really, you can't lose.

I would see this film but the nearest cinema is an hours drive away,the snow and ice doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon and this film isn't out in the UK until february. Bloody snow is stopping me seeing harry potter and tron as well.

Jaranja:

benbenthegamerman:

Not a bale fan?...

Well, it's one of those things where no matter how talented the person is, there are some things you do in real life that follow you around. Christian Bale has a reputation for freaking out on people, and even assaulting them. There was that whole thing on the set of "Terminator Salvation", the whole thing with him apparently assaulting his mother and/or sister, and other incidents.

If it was just one thing, it wouldn't be a big deal. It's pretty consistant though, and it hasn't been long enough where I really believe he's turned over a new leaf or anything.

It's sort of like Michael Jackson, this is a guy who pretty much admitted to multiple counts of child molestation by settling cases any reasonable person in his position would have fought on principle if they were innocent, bankrupting his estate in the process. The situation reinforced by the guy having secret pervo-throne rooms hidden behind secret doors in his personal video arcade, suerveillance cameras outside his bedroom, and numerous other things which were uncovered during investigations. Then there was the whole baby dangling incident.

I was a Michael Jackson fan early on, like nearly everyone I *REALLY* liked videos like "Thriller". The man was a great singer, dancer, and writer. On the other hand he was also a total freak, and I just can't stand him now. I actually think the way he's being treated after his death is flat out wrong.

Christian Bale has not stepped over the same lines as Michael Jackson, I'll still watch his movies, but I'm never going to be a fan. It's gotten to the point where I'll watch a movie in spite of him starring in it, rather than going "OMG, It's Christian Bale".

I didn't write the message your responding to, but I'm guessing the thoughts behind it are similar.

I'm one of those guys who snidely wonders out loud if maybe Christian Bale is doing so well in this movie because he's not acting. :P

Good review as always. Didn't think you would put a review up on Christmas Eve.

Have a good one Moviebob. :)

Nice review, shame you had to talk about something entirely different part way through though. Bit of a dissapointment...

its practially the same as with games, where every dipshit thiks they gonna buy it because it's christmass or WTF time they have myths about. But guess what? No pricks, it's not the best thing out there, they ain't!

RatRace123:
Another Massachusetts area film?
I feel I have to see this out of obligation, though I wonder why Hollywood is big on Mass lately?
Ah, well, it's not like we don't deserve it.

Massachusetts is one of the oldest parts of the US, so there's many stories to tell, but only recently did the state lower taxes to the point where filming on location is financially doable. So, people like Affleck (The Town) and Wahlberg who have been coming up with ideas for movies set back home can finally get them made. The Fighter has been in the works for about 5-6 years, if not longer, for example.

Therumancer:

Jaranja:

benbenthegamerman:

Not a bale fan?...

Well, it's one of those things where no matter how talented the person is, there are some things you do in real life that follow you around. Christian Bale has a reputation for freaking out on people, and even assaulting them. There was that whole thing on the set of "Terminator Salvation", the whole thing with him apparently assaulting his mother and/or sister, and other incidents.

If it was just one thing, it wouldn't be a big deal. It's pretty consistant though, and it hasn't been long enough where I really believe he's turned over a new leaf or anything.

It's sort of like Michael Jackson, this is a guy who pretty much admitted to multiple counts of child molestation by settling cases any reasonable person in his position would have fought on principle if they were innocent, bankrupting his estate in the process. The situation reinforced by the guy having secret pervo-throne rooms hidden behind secret doors in his personal video arcade, suerveillance cameras outside his bedroom, and numerous other things which were uncovered during investigations. Then there was the whole baby dangling incident.

I was a Michael Jackson fan early on, like nearly everyone I *REALLY* liked videos like "Thriller". The man was a great singer, dancer, and writer. On the other hand he was also a total freak, and I just can't stand him now. I actually think the way he's being treated after his death is flat out wrong.

Christian Bale has not stepped over the same lines as Michael Jackson, I'll still watch his movies, but I'm never going to be a fan. It's gotten to the point where I'll watch a movie in spite of him starring in it, rather than going "OMG, It's Christian Bale".

I didn't write the message your responding to, but I'm guessing the thoughts behind it are similar.

I'm one of those guys who snidely wonders out loud if maybe Christian Bale is doing so well in this movie because he's not acting. :P

Well, I think he's got metric tonnes of acting talent and I like a lot of the films he's in. It doesn't really matter what he's like in real life if he's good at his job.

It only gets to be a problem when you start seeing the actor, instead of the character, in a movie. This is the case for a lot of people with Tom Cruise.

Well, Mark Wahlberg nearly stole The Departed from Matt Damon and Leo Di Caprio, so fair's fair.

I typically avoid "Oscar buzz" movies, but since it has Bob's recommendation I might give it a shot.

I have always been Christian Bale fan so this movie has definitely piqued my interest.

On a separate note, I was hoping for a review of True Grit. It's probably just me, but I'm a sucker for a good western.

Bale looks like he's right at home playing an arrogant druggy with a short fuse.

Nice to see Amy Adams in a serious role again though.

I go to school in Lowell, now I feel out of the loop for not realizing this movie is set and was shoot there, huh. Guess I'll have to try and see it for that reason.

I'm definitely surprised the review wasn't for True Grit (saw it Wednesday night, short story: it's aweseome), but this and Black Swan are on my "To See" list, if only because I like seeing Bale play more unhinged characters, like in American Psycho.

very nice review of a great-looking movie i totally planned to see.

now go watch true grit.

Jaranja:

benbenthegamerman:

Not a bale fan?...

Because his Batman voice sounds like he spent a day deepthroating the Thing and gargling lighter fluid?... Just a thought anyway.

That being said The Machinist, Equilibrium, and American Psycho all mean you have to love Bale by law.

The line "Lets go see the movie where the crack head teaches his brother how to knock people out!" cracks me up.
Shame I'm not going to see this movie though... im too busy with work and all. Not to mention im not a big "sports movie" fan.

Is Gulliver even out this week? I didn't see any reviews. I agree though, it looks terrible. Basically, a massive dump on Swift's grave.

MASSACHUSETTS!!! WOOOOOOOO

As always, nice review, short, sweet and to the point. Will definetely have to check this out.

PS: Agreed about "Run This Town," Bob. I've been thinking the same thing to myself for a while now.

:D

I was an extra in this movie!

:D

I have always wondered why movies come out at when they do. Not the summer action flicks that makes sense but a lot of other movie scheduling is confusing.

I was hoping for a True Grit review, but I heard the fighter was good and I want to see Christian Bale's return to good performances.

Falseprophet:
Well, Mark Wahlberg nearly stole The Departed from Matt Damon and Leo Di Caprio, so fair's fair.

I typically avoid "Oscar buzz" movies, but since it has Bob's recommendation I might give it a shot.

Mark Wahlberg was in The Deprated...? I guess I did spend the entire movie trying to figure out who was Matt Damon and who was Leonardo Di Cario in every scene.

Jaranja:

benbenthegamerman:

Not a bale fan?...

Maybe because he is bad in some movies and good in others?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here