Escape to the Movies: The Fighter

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Jaranja:

benbenthegamerman:
Yeah, not a huge fan of Wahlburg or Bale, so i'm probably going to be sticking to True Grit. Otherwise, entertaining review. Loved the analysis of Oscar voting politics. It's curious to see how small things like age can affect an entire media. Happy Holidays Bob, and i'll see you next year.

Not a bale fan?...

Wow... How can you not be a fan?

Didn't like Terminator Salvation, didn't like him specifically in Public Enemies, his voice was grating in the Dark Knight, a movie i otherwise like, i didn't like Equilibrium, and i hated The Prestige. But, to be fair, i do like some movies that he was in. Mainly the Dark Knight and American Psycho. Really just personal preference, but eh.

The worst part is so many films come out this time I want to see, but do so on limited releases that often miss them and have to wait until DVD release.

benbenthegamerman:

Jaranja:

benbenthegamerman:
Yeah, not a huge fan of Wahlburg or Bale, so i'm probably going to be sticking to True Grit. Otherwise, entertaining review. Loved the analysis of Oscar voting politics. It's curious to see how small things like age can affect an entire media. Happy Holidays Bob, and i'll see you next year.

Not a bale fan?...

Wow... How can you not be a fan?

Didn't like Terminator Salvation, didn't like him specifically in Public Enemies, his voice was grating in the Dark Knight, a movie i otherwise like, i didn't like Equilibrium, and i hated The Prestige. But, to be fair, i do like some movies that he was in. Mainly the Dark Knight and American Psycho. Really just personal preference, but eh.

You hated The Prestige?!

Wow.

I was very much on the fence about this one, but as always, you've swung my opinion Bob :p

"Run This Town" is a good rap song you say?

I thought it was just another paint by numbers generic easily forgettable rap song that only demands attention because it's:

A) Jay-Z and not Kanye, and Kanye is still a running joke right now.

B) The industry begs to claim Rap is still relevant just like Hair Metal was relevant in 91' just before Teen Spirit.

C) The music vid kinda reminds me of California Love and a lot of 90s music vids mixed in.

D) Rihanna's vocals occupies most of the song so we don't have to listen to how boring and flat rapping sounds like these days especially from Jay-Z.

I don't blame you for not wanting to do "Gulliver's Travels". Good review, Bob.

Awww, I was hoping for The King's Speech.

I'm gonna see this one in a double nighter. Tron Legacy, then this. And maybe true grit, if my manager doesnt mind me leaving a projector running. If not, meh, i'll see true grit tomorrow.

thats the problem with this season for movies. you get these great movies that all come out to bid for an oscar, and there's just not enough time in the day.

Though I'm glad he didnt review Yogi Bear or Guilliver's Travels. In my opinion, Ted Danson's version of that is the king and this jack black... thing, is just pretending.

I'm not a boxing fan at all, and yet I want to see this movie.

Oh, and Amy Adams is hot.. even in a very dressed down role like this one.

Claiming this is Christian Bale's best role is a hell of a claim. Being sure that you've seen the Machinist, that comment alone makes me intrigued enough to see the movie.

I'm soooooo glad that Bob didn't waste him time with Gulliver's Travels!

A classic novel had to die so Jack Black could get a paycheck.

Burn in HELL Jack!

Good I wanted to see this movie anyway, I'm glad you gave it the thumbs up. I'm also glad you took time to explain the whole Oscar deal.

I was expecting True Grit. Anyway, The Fighter looks good and luckily Russell got a good film out before he makes the inevitable bomb of the Uncharted movie.

It does look good
P.s. : about JB: I don't blame you :(

Fun fact. Conan O'Brien's sister is in this movie.

Tarkand:
I guess this also explains why True Grit came out on December 23rd... I mean, I'm not really getting the Christmas vibe from that one either, but apparently it's really good and it has a plethora (yes, a plethora!) of good actors as well.

Jefe, what is a plethora?

KEM10:
That's right, screw Gulliver's Travels. Jack Black has sold his satire abilities since he was co-staring with John Cusack in High Fidelity. The books were so funny, and now it's just slapstick.

It also kinda violates the original work which much deeper more interesting

Armored Prayer:
So I'm not the only one who hates that "Run this Town" is in almost every freaking movie commercial.

It's actually usually crime dramas that use it but any movie set in a city on the east coast seems likely to throw it in there now.

Nomanslander:

I thought it was just another paint by numbers generic easily forgettable rap song that only demands attention because it's:

B) The industry begs to claim Rap is still relevant just like Hair Metal was relevant in 91' just before Teen Spirit.

C) The music vid kinda reminds me of California Love and a lot of 90s music vids mixed in.

D) Rihanna's vocals occupies most of the song so we don't have to listen to how boring and flat rapping sounds like these days especially from Jay-Z.

But what was the "song of moment" for adverts a few months ago?

"Hey Soul Sister" by Train....there were even internet petitions to get it so you couldn't use that horrid song in adverts anymore...but this just proves that ad execs have as much taste as the rest of the general public, or at the very least, know exactly what the lowest common denominator likes.

Thank you. The less we see or hear about Jack Black the better the world is.

I feel like I should watch Raging Bull and Rocky before I see this...

But you're got a point about "forgetting it came out" this year. I almost forgot Daybreakers came out this year because it felt so long ago.

I have a dark and terrible secret: the only sport I love to watch is boxing. The not so secret reason for this is Mickey Ward, or rather, his three famous fights against Arturo Gatti. As such, I will almost certainly watch this movie, especially if someone with a reasonably respectable opinion says it is also good.

MovieBob:
The Fighter

This week, Bob gets into the ring with The Fighter.

Watch Video

On your final point, I'd say "Cobrastyle" is in far more movie trailers these days... or maybe thats just the UK/EU. Mostly comedy/family movies though.

I was kind of hoping for gullier's travels, just to hear some kind of comment in the vein of "this movie is making Johnathon Swift spin in his grave so fast his corpse could be used to shapen metal tools" but I can't say I blame you. Movie crap season is just around the corner with 3 - 4 months of neither blockbuster nor oscar bait.

Down with the Oscar system!! This further proves how it's really about small-minded d*cks enforcing their power, rather than honoring filmmakers or the medium!

The fact it has Wahlberg is one of the 2 reasons I wont see this. That and living in mass I hear enough of the Boston inability to pronounce A and R together without it coming out AH. In fact thinking about it is making me angry so that's all I have to say now.

Good review, as I wasn't sure if this would be another boxing movie, so this is a welcomed movie if it stands up on its own. Certainly looks more fasincating than the likes of that Jack Black movie that is having the promotional stuffing beaten out of its decrepit corpse (but it's still better than Yogi-Freaking-Bear...).

The Oscar nomination piece was also very insightful; I've always been rather annoyed at how sporadic films are sometimes released and how the Oscars can be such a bloody mess of a game.

Nomanslander:

I never really paid much attention to the song, what with my mind subconsciously creating a defense-mechanism by blocking it out, but a quick Youtube revealed that you are dead on. That was quite a miserable song and I'm going to throw a door if I have to hear Rihanna screeching and moaning like she's buying up time trying to remember the trite lyrics to her asinine songs/accompaniments.

In Harvard Sq, they had to move this movie into the main house because it was outselling the other movies by a long shot and it's only (at least it was earlier) Christmas Eve. I haven't had the opportunity to sit and watch the whole thing but I just LOVE the big North Shore hair on his sisters and the actress playing the mother is spot-on 'Lowell'

hey BOB,
i just bought Scott Pilgrim on DvD and I love it, it has so much to offer.
that being said i understand why it didnt do better in theaters, it's very odd and unto it's self. it has a Kubrick vibe in that only a select few will get it, i'm not saying that those who dont are stupid, just not from that time zone. if given the chance though, i think that time will make it a classic that is shown in film school.

Quite frankly, I'd rather have a fighter movie for the holidays than yet another horrid Christmas special:

Unless he's playing an asshole, Marky Mark isn't a very convincing actor IMO. Everyone knew Bale would steal every scene from him in this movie, that's what happens when you have a shitty actor against a good one.

And couldn't they TRY to get Marky Mark to at least look like Mickey Ward? Ginger him up a lil bit?

At first I was going to pass on this film but I think I will give it a chance. I'm quite busy with the holidays and grad school so I'll put it on my Netflix queue and watch it when it gets here.

I knew this game was going to be good just like "gone baby gone" I wanna see this movie but i also wanna see "the town" as well.

Best performance of Christian Bale?

Better than The Machinist? Srsly?

Am I the only one who sat up a little straighter and said "Aw, cool!" when Bob mentioned he was from here? From Mass, I mean?

Massachusetts breeds good funny.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or