Escape to the Movies: The Fighter

Pages PREV 1 2 3

I hate to be that guy but do we really have to keep this PC crap up? "Have a happy holiday if you are in fact celebrating one"?? Hats off for the diplomacy, I don't think anyone could have said anything less offensive but does anyone actually get offended by being wished a merry Christmas?! It's become so secularised now that I would venture it is celebrated by more non-Christians than Christians, and even if that weren't the case it's not an offensive thing to say! I would be thrilled if somebody wished me a happy Hanukkah, or a delightful Divali!

My 2 cents!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Still lots blah. No interest at all.

RatRace123:
Another Massachusetts area film?
I feel I have to see this out of obligation, though I wonder why Hollywood is big on Mass lately?
Ah, well, it's not like we don't deserve it.

its a mass effect?

seriously though I saw this movie today and about two other people were there. It was way better then I thought it would be, and so after seeing this after seeing the movie I can vouch for it.

That kinda sucks about the Oscars thing. Seems like they could just move the voting/event to another portion of the year when more people would be likely to see the movies that get shoved out because it didn't conflict with the holidays.

Uh you do realize that MJ was acquitted on all counts 5 years ago right? Where do you get your info?

Jaranja:

Therumancer:

Jaranja:

Not a bale fan?...

Wow... How can you not be a fan?

Well, it's one of those things where no matter how talented the person is, there are some things you do in real life that follow you around. Christian Bale has a reputation for freaking out on people, and even assaulting them. There was that whole thing on the set of "Terminator Salvation", the whole thing with him apparently assaulting his mother and/or sister, and other incidents.

If it was just one thing, it wouldn't be a big deal. It's pretty consistant though, and it hasn't been long enough where I really believe he's turned over a new leaf or anything.

It's sort of like Michael Jackson, this is a guy who pretty much admitted to multiple counts of child molestation by settling cases any reasonable person in his position would have fought on principle if they were innocent, bankrupting his estate in the process. The situation reinforced by the guy having secret pervo-throne rooms hidden behind secret doors in his personal video arcade, suerveillance cameras outside his bedroom, and numerous other things which were uncovered during investigations. Then there was the whole baby dangling incident.

I was a Michael Jackson fan early on, like nearly everyone I *REALLY* liked videos like "Thriller". The man was a great singer, dancer, and writer. On the other hand he was also a total freak, and I just can't stand him now. I actually think the way he's being treated after his death is flat out wrong.

Christian Bale has not stepped over the same lines as Michael Jackson, I'll still watch his movies, but I'm never going to be a fan. It's gotten to the point where I'll watch a movie in spite of him starring in it, rather than going "OMG, It's Christian Bale".

I didn't write the message your responding to, but I'm guessing the thoughts behind it are similar.

I'm one of those guys who snidely wonders out loud if maybe Christian Bale is doing so well in this movie because he's not acting. :P

Well, I think he's got metric tonnes of acting talent and I like a lot of the films he's in. It doesn't really matter what he's like in real life if he's good at his job.

It only gets to be a problem when you start seeing the actor, instead of the character, in a movie. This is the case for a lot of people with Tom Cruise.

Uh you do realize that MJ

was acquitted on all counts 5 years ago right? Where do you get your info?

Hannibal942:
I have always been Christian Bale fan so this movie has definitely piqued my interest.

On a separate note, I was hoping for a review of True Grit. It's probably just me, but I'm a sucker for a good western.

Here is my review of True Grit

Go see it now.

I just saw "The Fighter" today and I must say, it was a good movie. I have always enjoyed Marky Mark.

you know it's a good film when all the critics can complain about is WHEN the movie came out :)

RatRace123:
Another Massachusetts area film?
I feel I have to see this out of obligation, though I wonder why Hollywood is big on Mass lately?
Ah, well, it's not like we don't deserve it.

For some reason, I've always thought that you were Canadian. Don't know why...

OT:

Mark Whalberg continues to prove to me that he'll somehow pull Nathan Drake off.

He's such a great actor, it wasn't his fault Max Payne sucked!

atomicmrpelly:
I hate to be that guy but do we really have to keep this PC crap up? "Have a happy holiday if you are in fact celebrating one"?? Hats off for the diplomacy, I don't think anyone could have said anything less offensive but does anyone actually get offended by being wished a merry Christmas?! It's become so secularised now that I would venture it is celebrated by more non-Christians than Christians, and even if that weren't the case it's not an offensive thing to say! I would be thrilled if somebody wished me a happy Hanukkah, or a delightful Divali!

My 2 cents!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Perish the thought that Bob attempt to be inclusive. Bob was wishing his viewers a Happy Holidays, he wasn't telling you you had to wish everyone a Happy Holidays. You are entitled to say whatever you want, just like I am.

I hope you enjoyed your Festival of Saturnalia!

Well, Bob's review was spot-on. Went to see this yesterday, and was thrilled with it. I haven't seen enough Christian Bale to say that this was his best performance ever (American Psycho and The Machinist are still on my "to-watch" list), but it was certainly damn good work. My only quibble is that when Bale sets up his total dominance of the film in Act I, Wahlberg is still catching up when it comes to his performance in acts II and III. I'm not sure his performance could have been stronger, but it would have been nice if it was.

NaramSuen:

Perish the thought that Bob attempt to be inclusive. Bob was wishing his viewers a Happy Holidays, he wasn't telling you you had to wish everyone a Happy Holidays. You are entitled to say whatever you want, just like I am.

I hope you enjoyed your Festival of Saturnalia!

Aha good point! Though people shouldn't be prevented from saying Merry Christmas, neither should they be forced to! You have enlightened me! Happy Thursday!!!

Hey, at least they stopped using the Glory soundtrack for movie ads.

/huge James Horner fan, call off the dogs

Y'know, Bob kind of explained this in his review for "The Expendables," but something i have got to say about The Fighter is that it has got to have some of the best fucking boxing i have ever seen in a Hollywood movie.

Plus, i have no idea why, but there was just something insanely appealing about Dickie. I think they should always hire Bale as a washed up crack head and not bother with the action hero thing, Dickie was easily his best role ever.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here