Review: Costume Quest: Grubbins on Ice

Review: Costume Quest: Grubbins on Ice

An RPG that lets you have french fries, a pirate, and a yeti in your party. Do you need another reason to play it?

Read Full Article

is this supposed to have a video review with it or is that just an annoying ad that plays with no real point?

Edit: ahh ok after loading the page a few times the vid finaly played right

I enjoyed the demo and Ive been meaning to get the full game, just wish it would be out for the pc since my 360 only has the crappy 20gig hd and new ones cost 3 arms and a leg

I unfortunately started a new game of Costume Quest before downloading Grubbins On Ice, so I've got to complete it again before I can access the new stuff. Not that I mind; it's a really fun game.

Technical burp. Should be fixed.

Screw waiting for a game+DLC bundle deal on PSN, I'll buy CQ and this DLC on Christmas.

Who need to "spend time with the family" anyway?

I played the trial but yet to purchase the full game, even though I had a blast playing it. I'll get it sooner or later though.

"Do you need another reason to play it?"

Yes. Stop taking the easy way out.

Yay, I'm not the only one to notice the music!

I actually already bought the game and I may buy the DLC come Christmas, but...uncertain.

Great game though, I recommend it to all.

Yay! double fine released a new game.

Good game, but the game + DLC is going to run you $20 total, which is a bit much because both are a bit short. $10 for the game would have been better than $15. Still fun, but maybe wait for a price drop first if you get annoyed with short games.

I bought it with Limbo when MS was doing that "spend $30, get $10 back" deal over Xbox Live, so I basically did get it for $10 which is happy times for me. :)

YAY PSYCHONAUTS MUSIC!!!!

Dectilon:

Then perhaps you should read the review, where I provide several reasons to play it.

Lighten the hell up.

mjc0961:
Good game, but the game + DLC is going to run you $20 total, which is a bit much because both are a bit short. $10 for the game would have been better than $15. Still fun, but maybe wait for a price drop first if you get annoyed with short games.

I bought it with Limbo when MS was doing that "spend $30, get $10 back" deal over Xbox Live, so I basically did get it for $10 which is happy times for me. :)

Well some AAA games cost close to 70$ for 15 hours of play time (if you're slow), just because they got kewl graffyx!!1!... At least this one doesn't pretend to make up for your money. I say it's cute, honest and looks damn fun!

Sidenote : yay for turn-by-turn RPGs!

this game looks brilliant!!!! i love the costume giving u powers thing FRICKEN LOVE IT

As games get darker and more self-serious, it's really great to see one that is genuinely adorable and even a little heartwarming.

Susan Arendt:

Dectilon:

Then perhaps you should read the review, where I provide several reasons to play it.

Lighten the hell up.

Someones Maaaaaaaaaaaaaad, but I can understand the point of instead of saying pointless things like "You don't need another reason" actually putting as manly points from the article in the video/description as possible.

TrogzTheTroll:

Susan Arendt:

Dectilon:

Lighten the hell up.

Someones Maaaaaaaaaaaaaad, but I can understand the point of instead of saying pointless things like "You don't need another reason" actually putting as manly points from the article in the video/description as possible.

How many points can you fit into a teaser? It's meant to be maybe ten or fifteen words long - and usually gets cut to shorter than that when it's inserted into our grid. A teaser isn't a summary, just an indication in a particular direction.

Susan Arendt:

TrogzTheTroll:

Susan Arendt:

Lighten the hell up.

How many points can you fit into a teaser? It's meant to be maybe ten or fifteen words long - and usually gets cut to shorter than that when it's inserted into our grid. A teaser isn't a summary, just an indication in a particular direction.

Key word was Possible, since I don't expect you to fit every fact in to a video teaser. But if you have enough time to say something useless like "How much more do you need herpdaderp" then you can take it out and quick throw in a another fact.

Edit: Especially because the term "What more do you need" would almost put readers off from reading the actual review. Apparantly you MUST have covered everything if the only other thing you can say is "Well what more do you need?"

TrogzTheTroll:

Susan Arendt:

TrogzTheTroll:

Key word was Possible, since I don't expect you to fit every fact in to a video teaser. But if you have enough time to say something useless like "How much more do you need herpdaderp" then you can take it out and quick throw in a another fact.

I could take many approaches, and went for an emphasis on the game's silly humor, exemplified by the characters I cite. The "do you need anything more?" shows my approval of said silliness, in that it alone is enough to make the game worth playing. If you don't like the approach, that's fine, but it's a perfectly valid approach.

Susan Arendt:

TrogzTheTroll:

Susan Arendt:

I could take many approaches, and went for an emphasis on the game's silly humor, exemplified by the characters I cite. The "do you need anything more?" shows my approval of said silliness, in that it alone is enough to make the game worth playing. If you don't like the approach, that's fine, but it's a perfectly valid approach.

That's fine, you can use that perfectly valid approach. But the point of me and that one other guy's point was that we would prefer if you used an approach that gave more detail upfront. Telling him in an almost ironic way to lighten the hell up doesn't seem like a way for you to voice an understanding of our opinion on the statement, but then you want me to see that your approach is just fine. If you didn't tell him to basically screw off and instead said something like, "Ok, I did it for X reason but I understand bleh" then I wouldn't have had to counter argue, since you're showing you understand our point as well.

TrogzTheTroll:

Susan Arendt:

TrogzTheTroll:

That's fine, you can use that perfectly valid approach. But the point of me and that one other guy's point was that we would prefer if you used an approach that gave more detail upfront. Telling him in an almost ironic way to lighten the hell up doesn't seem like a way for you to voice an understanding of our opinion on the statement, but then you want me to see that your approach is just fine. If you didn't tell him to basically screw off and instead said something like, "Ok, I did it for X reason but I understand bleh" then I wouldn't have had to counter argue, since you're showing you understand our point as well.

There is a vast difference between implying I'm lazy ("Stop taking the easy way out") and taking the time to explain your point of view. You took the time to show me respect and voice your opinion. He did not.

Is this the first time you have seen a review by Susan? She often says things like that in a humorous way. If you don't like her humor thats fine but implying she is lazy when she writes both a detailed review and makes a video version as well is silly.

The original poster who made that comment was just being rude.

Trogz you were more polite but many of us like Susan's sense of humor and have commented on that in the past. She didn't do anything here she hasn't done tons of times before and usually leaves off her video reviews with a similar humorous comment. There was certainly a more polite way to make a suggestion and honestly I don't think that suggestion would over all be very popular. I know I at least enjoy Susan's humor and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one:)

The dock theme from Psychonauts? seriously? why on earth would someone rip that and put it in this game? O.o I half expect a chibi Admiral crowler pop up and talk creepily about canoes.

YukoValis:
The dock theme from Psychonauts? seriously? why on earth would someone rip that and put it in this game? O.o I half expect a chibi Admiral crowler pop up and talk creepily about canoes.

I assume the answer you're looking for here is not "because the games are by the same developer"?

wulfy42:
Is this the first time you have seen a review by Susan? She often says things like that in a humorous way. If you don't like her humor thats fine but implying she is lazy when she writes both a detailed review and makes a video version as well is silly.

The original poster who made that comment was just being rude.

Trogz you were more polite but many of us like Susan's sense of humor and have commented on that in the past. She didn't do anything here she hasn't done tons of times before and usually leaves off her video reviews with a similar humorous comment. There was certainly a more polite way to make a suggestion and honestly I don't think that suggestion would over all be very popular. I know I at least enjoy Susan's humor and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one:)

Hear hear. At first I thought Dectilon's post was sarcastic, and maybe it was, but we won't find out now unless they post again.

However, at least Trogz explained their line of argument eventually. This could've been a far nastier scuffle.

OT: I still haven't played the main game, but it definitely looks like one to sink some time into. Maybe my few days off over Christmas are the perfect excuse.

Xelanath:

YukoValis:

I assume the answer you're looking for here is not "because the games are by the same developer"?

Doesn't matter, doesn't mean one should rip previous things for new games.

As awesome as Psychonauts was I have only played it through once.

I think I need to remedy that. Thanks:)

YukoValis:

Xelanath:

YukoValis:

So, then, one should *NEVER* use in-jokes or throwbacks?

Someone had better run tell every single game developer then.

Valve would lose there whole piece

RvLeshrac:

YukoValis:

Xelanath:

So, then, one should *NEVER* use in-jokes or throwbacks?

Someone had better run tell every single game developer then.

I love CQ! it's so cute and accesible

Just finished Costume Quest and Grubbins on Ice the other day. The costume selection was amazing for starters. Decent story, good writing. Really fun and interesting game, I just wish it weren't so easy. The best part of the game was at the beginning when I was struggling to win battles. Also once you got Lucy and TP + Egg on Face you were pretty much unstoppable since you could just stun everyone then focus on taking one guy out, I stopped using that combination because it felt so incredibly cheap.

Basically a good game but they really needed to make the combat a bit harder. Also they could have switched it up a bit by having some costume items purchased or trade through cards and have battle stamps in chests as well.

Hope the second one will be better, if nothing else add in a "Hard" difficulty.

Adorable Game! It was Cute, Fun and it still managed to keep a little bit of peril throughout the gameplay! I absolutly loved it! =)

Melancholy_Ocelot:
YAY PSYCHONAUTS MUSIC!!!!

*Weeps with joy* I'm so proud of those of you who recognized the music, including you too Susan.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here