Zero Punctuation: Epic Mickey

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Epic Mickey

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Epic Mickey.

Watch Video

Okay, so child abuse jokes are actually a bad sign.
Bloody working class cameras!

"The air of compromise" indeed. A shame all that potential went to waste. I thought they were going to go for a truly dark Disney story, something worthy of The Black Hole. But no. Had to play it safe.

Cowards.

As for the review, I didn't keep track of the child molestation jokes, but there had to be at least half a dozen in there.

Well I'm never going to look at a mascot the same way again....

Funny stuff, as always ZP delivers "epic stuff". I kill me, just like Mickey tried to do.

Strange I thought that Yahtzee would praise the story (but he didn't talk much about it either). Oh well maybe we will get more info on Extra Punctuation

and I still dont see how this game isn't dark and edgy

im going to have nightmares from that dancing imp for the iphone, thanks escapist

Wow, he tore this a new asshole. (Like most other reviewers.)
Actually, drop the "wow," I knew he would.

Yahtzee, your fear of amusement park mascots mirrors my own.

BlueInkAlchemist:
"The air of compromise" indeed. A shame all that potential went to waste. I thought they were going to go for a truly dark Disney story, something worthy of The Black Hole. But no. Had to play it safe.

Cowards.

Pretty much this is how I feel about it, I loved those dark and twisted art designs they had for it all but no.... they had to play it safe. Though I will say he actually tried to review it, I thought that when he heard Mickey he would just smash it with all the grace of a sledgehammer against a glass wall.

Wow. You know, given what's already been said about epic mickey...

This Zero Punctuation actually also feels a bit flat and a waste of potential.

I dunno. Somehow this review felt particularly forced and flat. But, what can you really say anyway about a game that's such an obvious disappointment.

I loved the little dancing imp video afterwards.

A game with mickey mouse in it. Who else knew beforehand that this was going to be a shit game?

wow the ad at hte end was actually pretty freakin' cool.

Loved the Dark Noir Mickey made up. Thats something i would enjoy

Such a shame; if only Disney had been willing to try something creative and different. Alas, you can't have everything.

LOL at "Kingdom hearts was more edgy than this"

That is so true

I'm still going to try this one out, but it sounds more like he was disappointed, rather than making fun of it for just being bad

wow. I learned so much here.

Who knew that mickey mouse handles serious social issues with such sensitivity.
I feel like this should be a game.

I liked the part where he disliked the game and didn't believe it to be 'edgy'

Saw the gameplay, it's bland and uninteresting. I see the rest of the game is just as well.

Losing a lot of respect for Warren Spector right now.

This game is boring and dull design.

I'm a tad disappointed with this review, mostly cause I can't help but feel that Yahtzee sort of missed the point of the game and missed out a good deal of the game's core aspects. While I can see the game definitely isn't for everyone, I was hoping for some more in depth talk about the moral-choice stuff which I feel Warren Spector got down pretty damn well and interpreted them greatly into the game's concept, design and story.

Oh well, looking forward for the Extra Punctuation article.

ace_of_something:
wow. I learned so much here.

Who knew that mickey mouse handles serious social issues with such sensitivity.
I feel like this should be a game.

That's pretty creepy.

I wasn't expecting a video this week, because last year he had a holiday round this time. I though there would be another "Fuck you I'm going on vacation" video.

I'm so glad that I grew up in a land without theme park mascots...and we still don't have a Disney Land here, yay!

Didn't see that one coming. That was surprisingly brutal. Yes, I do believe "Epic" was not the right word to describe it but this is probably the best game that disney was ever going to make besides kingdom hearts (and the only reason that game was halfway decent was because of square enix). At least they get a "b" for effort, but a game does not need to consist entirely of fetch quest alone. The platforming was fun about the first 15 times then it started getting dull beyond reason.

Figures this would never be as good as the original artwork, shame really.

I don't care what Yahtzee says; I'm still looking forward to getting this game.

I enjoyed the review, never do I plan to buy that game.

Had to say I laughed pretty heartily at the Canterbury Tales reference - the Miller's Tale is the source of that one.

Of course the game is going to feel strange. Like stated in the video, Disney wouldn't let anyone change their beloved franchises at all for any reason.

Totally loved the working class camera joke. :D

I'd like to see more of the mickey suicide strip and it should be unlockable as a level ingame.

I was greatly hoping he wouldn't review this because I knew he would hate it and everyone on the planet would agree with his smug ass. Considering what happened when Yahtzee reviewed Other M and I erupted into rage and looked like a fanboy in the process (although I can point you in the direction of several people who are far worse) I'm going to take a few minutes screaming in a closet before I erupt over Yahtzee's anti Wii propaganda that he calls an opinion this time.

But for now I'll say this: He's greatly exaggerating the "fetch-quest" parts.

Of course the game is going to feel strange. Like stated in the video, Disney wouldn't let anyone change their beloved franchises at all for any reason.

See that's another thing I hate about everyone bitching about this game: they base it soley on year old alpha build concept art. Let me ask you something, when has a game's first leaked initial concept art ever stay completely with the game in question from the beginning of development to the end? I knew damn well that the game wasn't going to look exactly like that (even though I at least hoped for the narwhal with the broken Epcot to still make the cut) but I kept an open mind on the game anyway.

Also, half of this game's changes are the result of Warren Spector more than Disney. Just go back and check a few of those old interviews he did. Surprised Yahtzee didn't mention that this was by Spector in this review at all. You'd think after trashing Brutal Legend and Tim Schaeffer, he'd be all over insulting another game designer unfairly.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here