Zero Punctuation: Epic Mickey

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

k-ossuburb:

Mortrialus:

k-ossuburb:

That's not even my quote, my original post was changed by someone who wanted to "bash Yahtzee fans" for some reason and he/she changed my post to whatever the hell that is. Go back a few pages to see the original, you're essentially replying to nothing here.

"Some reason?" Your entire post is just one long winded whining session about how its not dark enough.

That's not the point I was making, sorry for not being clear. I was saying that it isn't reaching its full creative potential, that's all. I don't care about the mood, only that it's disappointing that with a brand as big as Disney you'd expect something with a lot more quality, especially considering the amount of time this was in development.

Anyway, let's just pretend I said:

"Herpa derp, this game suckzors becoz I dun leik Disney an i has no opinions of my own, herpa derpa derp."

Thank you.

I'm pretty sure what happened is that Warren Spector was nerdgasming over having complete access to the Disney vaults, and was all like "Wow! We need to put this poster in here! Oh we need to add this lamp post! Oh unused concept art! Thats going in." and then the deadline rolls around.

It doesn't feel creatively compromised in the sense like executives said "No you can't do this." Really feels like Disney set a deadline for the 2010 holiday season release and they missed the deadline, likely because they focused on adding Disney stuff instead of refining the camera and putting more effort into the quest design.

If you look at places like Mickey Junk Mountain, there is SO much reverence to Disney, so many shout outs, there is no way this wasn't a labor of love.

Its an interesting experiment, and one that I enjoyed. It demands a sequel that improves upon it, however.

k-ossuburb:

Mortrialus:

k-ossuburb:

That's not even my quote, my original post was changed by someone who wanted to "bash Yahtzee fans" for some reason and he/she changed my post to whatever the hell that is. Go back a few pages to see the original, you're essentially replying to nothing here.

"Some reason?" Your entire post is just one long winded whining session about how its not dark enough.

That's not the point I was making, sorry for not being clear. I was saying that it isn't reaching its full creative potential, that's all. I don't care about the mood, only that it's disappointing that with a brand as big as Disney you'd expect something with a lot more quality, especially considering the amount of time this was in development.

Anyway, let's just pretend I said:

"Herpa derp, this game suckzors becoz I dun leik Disney an i has no opinions of my own, herpa derpa derp."

Thank you.

You're right about the waste of potential there were so many things that could've been done! =)

I thought it was funny for a while how Yahtzee had that personal challenge to scar us further every episode with terrible analogies, but it's seriously not funny anymore (except for that first bit). Knock it off. If for no other reason, then just so you don't run out someday.

Anyway, Epic Mickey. Talk about a game that seems unfinished; even the title was a tentative project name they just forgot to change, let alone the gameplay. I'm irritated that the company didn't put the appropriate amount of time (not effort, there was plenty of that) into this... don't companies get that longer development time = more polished, better reviewed and accepted game? Deadlines are great for creating that special brand of panic that makes great ideas flow, but what if said deadline is not this many levels or to get past this creative hurdle, but the actual release date of the game? Epic Mickey happens. This is Disney, they have the money to spend to keep this longer in development, what were they thinking?! It's Sonic 2006 all over again.

i was waiting for yahtzee for make this review as soon as i played it i knew he would make the game funny as hell :')

Lordofthesuplex:
I was greatly hoping he wouldn't review this because I knew he would hate it and everyone on the planet would agree with his smug ass. Considering what happened when Yahtzee reviewed Other M and I erupted into rage and looked like a fanboy in the process (although I can point you in the direction of several people who are far worse) I'm going to take a few minutes screaming in a closet before I erupt over Yahtzee's anti Wii propaganda that he calls an opinion this time.

But for now I'll say this: He's greatly exaggerating the "fetch-quest" parts.

Of course the game is going to feel strange. Like stated in the video, Disney wouldn't let anyone change their beloved franchises at all for any reason.

See that's another thing I hate about everyone bitching about this game: they base it soley on year old alpha build concept art. Let me ask you something, when has a game's first leaked initial concept art ever stay completely with the game in question from the beginning of development to the end? I knew damn well that the game wasn't going to look exactly like that (even though I at least hoped for the narwhal with the broken Epcot to still make the cut) but I kept an open mind on the game anyway.

Also, half of this game's changes are the result of Warren Spector more than Disney. Just go back and check a few of those old interviews he did. Surprised Yahtzee didn't mention that this was by Spector in this review at all. You'd think after trashing Brutal Legend and Tim Schaeffer, he'd be all over insulting another game designer unfairly.

Call a turd chocolate it's still a turd!!!!

Maraveno:

That's your opinion jackass.

Lordofthesuplex:

Maraveno:

No it's all you did in your post

now you can go and tell me why YOU loved it

you didn't do any of that you just explained why it's so unpolished hazy and bad in yahtzee's eyes and how you think that is too harsh

Lordofthesuplex:

Maraveno:

No I'm pretty sure if you were to poop, coat it in chocolate and then tell somebody that it's not a turd they'd think you are insane. But they would have to agree with you that it's still a turd.

NoCure:

Lordofthesuplex:

Maraveno:

No I'm pretty sure if you were to poop, coat it in chocolate and then tell somebody that it's not a turd they'd think you are insane. But they would have to agree with you that it's still a turd.

Don't be so literal minded. I meant it's his opinion that the game sucks and that I disagree with him.

No it's all you did in your post

now you can go and tell me why YOU loved it

When I stop seeing 3 pages of "I thought this game was going to be good but now that Yahtzee's reviewed it" types of posts, then maybe I'll shut up about how everyone kisses his ass. It's been getting better in recent times but that's still the problem I have around here.

As for why I liked it: The story, the interesting premise, the multiple choice system, the fact that out of most of the complaints I hear towards this game, the only ones that actually have any merit are the camera issues and how tedious the constant backtracking gets at times.
Really, there are far worse games that have been released this year than this game. I'm not saying it lived up to the hype but it's not complete shit either.

Nothing to do with this game but, anybody watch Charlie Brooker's 2010 Wipe? Think somebody's trying to steal your style Yahtzee.

I would totally marry Yahtzee out of respect.

I've only known his Chzo Mythos games, and now I've realized just how awesome he is.

I hope Yahtzee does something real today and not like what he did LAST YEAR!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1340-Holiday-2009

Hope he does a "best of 2010" and I hope it rocks!

it appears yahtzee has taken a vacation.

Cool app :))

(if you don't know what I'm talking about, whatch the video untill the end)

I liked the Miller's tale reference.

Anyone heard about the Mickey suicide comic Yahtzee is referring to? Never heard about it and did not find anything related. Help is appreciated.

Can't agree with you, Yahtzee. I enjoyed the game and I had less problems while playing it, but since you are not a real reviewer, I give a damn about what you say about anything. Same goes for those brainless apple-shiner aka your fanboys. I bet you would jump from a bridge if he would say so... I really hate those "Angry Reviewers" and wish that James never inveted this dumb idea.

yep this game was a huge disappointment.

Liked the fear of mascots part...reminds of the time when i had a phobia of clowns...

Theif519 Approves!

all this sounds about right

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook