3 Movies That Changed Christmas

Pages 1 2 NEXT

3 Movies That Changed Christmas

Christmas wouldn't be quite the same without these three classic cinematic works.

Read Full Article

No mention of Gremlins?

Gizmo is disappoint.

Good article, interesting look into the cultural history of the holiday.

Nothing about A Christmas Story? For shame.

Everytime the holiday season rolls around, I think about the music from the Charlie Brown special, particulary the vocalizing (I don't know if that song has a name) at the very end.
I was expecting a Top 10 of 2010, but this was a nice surprise.

Merry Xmas, Bob

skylog:

By that point things had been established. I think that is how Bob would respond.

Sad to see It's a Wonderful Life didn't make the cut. The 51 version of Christmas Carol is my favorite version too. It's even better than the Muppets'!

I was actually expecting the list to be; Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. But a terrific list anyway, already seen Miracle, and Scrooge. Although I still haven't seen that Charlie Brown Special. I guess I'll have to hunt that down, hope its on DVD.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Bob!

no how the grinch stole christmas, Im not really into christmas stuff, being a pessimistic loner, but I love the Dr.

Funny, the first thing that came to my mind when I read this was "It's a Wonderful Life". Truth be told, I don't know of any particular fashion in which it shaped or changed Christmas, but if any movie seemed like it would, it would be that. Also surprised to see the Peanuts special there, although I haven't actually seen it my self.

Sartan0:

skylog:

By that point things had been established. I think that is how Bob would respond.

Yeah, that's fair.

Is the stop motion Rudolph considered a Christmas movie? Because I think that almost every child in north north America has seen that before.

Uhhh what about Jingle all the Way?!?? "Put that cookie down!"

This will always have a special place in my heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR_8kmOmxyk

haha oh those aluminum trees...

what about those ridiculous pink Christmas trees at Borders and Barnes & Noble...lol

Excellent choices! :D

I wish television stations would show these three movies on Christmas Day instead of that horrid, torturous piece of filth called A Christmas Story.

MovieBob:
Charles Dickens wished the modern-day Christmas into existence.

And here I thought I couldn't hate him more then then I did after year 8 English. He better hope I don't run into in the after life.

Thank you for putting a Charlie Brown Christmas on here. Good article.
Merry Christmas, Bob. Big fan.

HankMan:
Sad to see It's a Wonderful Life didn't make the cut. The 51 version of Christmas Carol is my favorite version too. It's even better than the Muppets'!

Complete agreement and complete disagreement in the same post! It's A Wonderful Life is easily my favorite Christmas film, and one of my favorites in general, but nothing beats the Muppets! Nothing I say!

HankMan:

OMG thank you! I was watching that movie earlier today and it brings a tear to my eye everytime.

James Stewart, you touch us all.

It's a Wonderful Life is a neverending classic

Irrelevant and ridiculous.

Maybe for my grandparents, but nothing for the modern era.

I guess this was supposed to be a history lesson.

Watching the 1951 Carol is a family tradition of mine. It is a great movie, and I really enjoyed the exploration of Scrooge's character, even if it did come off as a blame his childhood sort of thing.

Just as an FYI for this bit "For all the foolish wailing that goes on each year about the war on Christmas, or the idea that abbreviations or secular icons like Rudolph and Frosty are stripping the holiday of some greater significance" where it refers to abbreviations.

My school, (being a christian one) went to the trouble of explaining to us that 'X-Mas' was an attempt to remove religion from 'christ'-mas. Thous as maths students may note, x is quite close to the greek letter 'Chi'. I think this was also mentioned on QI (or somewhere), and explained as originatng from early christians using chi instead of christ as a way to be secretive and not be noticed.

Personally I think the Muppet's Christmas carol was better, leave it to the muppets to take a classic and make it even better!

No Christmas Story? I'd say "You'll shoot your eye out" is the most known quote from any Christmas movie I can think of, at least among the people I know.

It's A Wonderful Life has quite possibly the most ripped-off story concept ever as well.

Keep in mind that the points was to pick movies that changed and shaped Christmas... not just good christmas movies or christmas movies you liked or that gave you a catch phrase.

My fav Christmas movie has always been "Spies like us".

I've never been one for Christmas movies. In fact, I only just saw It's A Wonderful Life for the first time two and a half weeks ago, and I'm 23. But I do agree with this list.

matrix3509:
I wish television stations would show these three movies on Christmas Day instead of that horrid, torturous piece of filth called A Christmas Story.

To be fair, the movie is pretty good...

Its just not good in the 48 hr marathon chunks some stations like to show it as...

For those curious, the Palestinian winters would be too cold for shepards to be watching their flocks at night and the Romans would never hold a census in winter. Jesus was likely born in Summer time.

Also, Christmas comes from the combination of pagan holidays and traditions, mainly revolving around the celebration of the return of sunlight as the days began to grow longer after being so short for so long. The main theory behind why Christmas came to be celebrated in winter is combination of Christians hiding from Rome by celebrating around the Winter Solstice, and England using the "return of light to the world" as a holiday symbol.

Great history lesson as always, Bob. You are a well read and intriguing fellow.

My favorite holiday movies are A Christmas Story and Goodfellas :)

Sober Thal:
Irrelevant and ridiculous.

Maybe for my grandparents, but nothing for the modern era.

I guess this was supposed to be a history lesson.

What? The modern era is only so stuck in current traditions of buying as much as possible because of the absolutely unyielding changes that occurred in the past. How is this article at all irrelevant? Also, why snub it for essentially being a history lesson? Just look at the title. It doesn't sound like you were looking for insight at all.

Bob knows nothing of Christmas movies. <- Fact

PS. - A lack of A Christmas Story, Scrooged, or any of the classic stop motion Christmas movies makes my balls hurt...

I really don't see how the advent of Christmas muzak is a good thing...

Tarkand:
Keep in mind that the points was to pick movies that changed and shaped Christmas... not just good christmas movies or christmas movies you liked or that gave you a catch phrase.

Oh fine. Point taken. Merry Christmas.

No love for Die Hard? Yeah...that changed the WORLD.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here