Dear Santa

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Dear Santa

What does little Shamus want for Christmas?

Read Full Article

Bobby Kotick would just sue Santa for giving him a coalasteroid.

I know the feeling. Between my recently renewed WoW subscription (fuckin' Cataclysm. It's like trying to quit smoking and they release new steak dinner flavour cigarettes), DCUO, (sorta like deciding a crack habit would go great with the smoking) and Star Wars: TOR (if cigarettes gave blowjo... never mind that sounds awful, bad analogy) it's safe to say I'm going to have to pick one, quit my job, or forgo sex for the rest of my life and I'm gonna need a job to pay subs, so sorry ladies.

LoganN:
Another shit article by Shamus.

How... constructive.

I was all happy and fine then the picture of Kotick showed up and now a blind rage has consumed me. This list however might be the greatest wish list ever. I ask that you please censor all Kotick images.

Yup, that was a good article. And the poem at the end was pretty sweet too.

I think I found the problem in your wishes - it seems Santa doesn't deliver on wishes that a lot of people wish for (you might as well add to your list - end cancer, finding world peace etc.). Old Saint Nick just doesn't deliver that often if it's not wrappable in shiny paper.

I guess we can still hope. Happy holidays.

p.s oh, LoganN, I guess your getting coal this year

Well I'm going to continue to enjoy GFWL until Microsoft remembers it exists and makes it work for everyone.

For Christmas I want a pony :D

For christmas, I want a fast internet connection. That would make me very, very happy. Since I just came from TF2 after 3 straight games with a ping of 996.

LoganN:

Evidently you're far more interesting and articulate.

OT: The Steam one would be nice, but it is really hard to care when I've just bought Bad Company 2 for 6, New Vegas for 15, Torchlight for 3 and the SoT sequels for 2 each.

It'll make a hard thing to do, a website to rival steam.
Yes n' screw you activision.
Love this guys articles. Your Fallout Vegas review was better though.

Shamus Young:
They're suing rivals, former employees, former business partners. If lil' Bobby gets in a fight at school, you can say maybe the other kid started it. If Bobby gets in ten fights with ten different kids, and if Bobby is the biggest kid in the class, it's a pretty safe bet he's a bully, not the victim.

I'm not the biggest fan of Mr. Young, but this was really well put.

I don't care how much Santa may ignore me. I will still keep asking him to make DRM go away. It does nothing but harm customers and PC gaming in general.

I don't make it a habit of being cruel, but DRM should go die in a ditch somewhere.

Oh, I'm sure a lump of coal could start a decent enough fire if placed in, say... Bobby Kotick's shoes.

Steam truly is the Telstra of online game distribution.

Spot1990:

LoganN:

How... constructive.

To be fair, Shamus has a fairly bland writing style and often adds little to existing discussion, so I can see why people may not like his writing. That said, you also have a valid point: it's pretty out of line to be that blunt about attacking someone, especially when you don't specify what you think is wrong. Nonetheless, I don't think this thread is the time or place for a discussion of the quality (or lack thereof) of Shamus's writing: the fact is that he is a staff writer and he will continue to put out articles, and to discuss the broader subject, as opposed to the one relevant to the topic, would be a bit weird.

That said, Shamus did bring up in interesting topic in one of his 'requests': Steam. The critique Shamus offers is a bit strange: it seems to congratulate Steam on successes at being a quality project while begging for a contender to take it down a notch. It seems a bit irrational to ask for a rival without qualifying that. Of course, that noted, I have personal critiques that Steam is often bulky and slow, and that a rival could encourage Steam to innovate (as per capitalism), but I honestly don't think a new cloud rival would do that: I'm fairly confident Steam is already competing directly with stores, particularly places like GameStop.

But Merry Christmas to everybody, even Shamus, because I can respect the guy for his commitment to the industry even if I don't like his writing.

The first two sentences really cracked me up. :)

Can we send coal an asteroid to EA too though? In fact, since they're both in the ring right now having a slap-fight over Infinity Ward, just set two douchebag CEOs straight with one (very large) stone.

And yes, DRM bad, making it go away good.

He's an immortal old man that travels the world delivering gifts to people in one night, not a miracle worker.

If Santa can't deliver, why not send a letter to the Krampus or Black Peter? Punishment is right up their street and I'm sure they'd be glad of the correspondence

RE: A rival to Steam

Yeah I have been using Impulse whenever possible for this reason. Steam still gets some of my money for exclusive content but I will even pay a bit more to support Stardock. Yeah I am that guy.

Woodsey:

OT: The Steam one would be nice, but it is really hard to care when I've just bought Bad Company 2 for 6, New Vegas for 15, Torchlight for 3 and the SoT sequels for 2 each.

I have only one gripe with steam. Steam prices are same in dollars and euros which means that every game i buy there is cheaper for British and American users :(

Not that this would be a big difference but i still dislike getting the short end of the stick.

I also bought BC2 and paid 13,99e for it.

Meatstorm:

Woodsey:

I have only one gripe with steam. Steam prices are same in dollars and euros which means that every game i buy there is cheaper for British and American users :(

Not that this would be a big difference but i still dislike getting the short end of the stick.

I also bought BC2 and paid 13,99e for it.

Well it was on extra extra sale when I bought it, so you probably didn't get short-changed on that one (since it's now 15 again).

I'd love a rival for Steam. Would force Valve to innovate and improve faster. Why don't we have a little update notification that tells us an update is ready when we tell a game to not update?

Man that felt weird to say.

Anyone else first read "fad controllers" as " fat controllers"?

Woodsey:

LoganN:

Evidently you're far more interesting and articulate.

If only we (edit:Non-UK) Europeans wasn't shafted by the the store... "Hurr, 40 US dollars is 40 Euro right? DURRRR"

Nice little poem there at the end. Amusing. You lousy gnome.

And I love Steam, I don't see any need for competition, unless it's the sort of competition that causes Steam's already incredibly low sales to go even lower. In that case, bring it on!

Ah, yet again, Shamus, I love it. Though, currently I'd rather Ubisoft go get asteroided than Activision, cause I'm still ticked at them for screwing up AC2 and The Settlers 7 with DRM, and Activision's BlackOps is actually quite fun.
Oh, and while I love Steam (as far as DRM goes), and don't have any outstanding issues with it that aren't mollified by their awesome sales, I can't argue that some stiff competition wouldn't make it even better.

Great list. But I would've restricted the Activision part only to Kotick. Also, we here do not have this Christmas. We have Zodmas.

Happy Zodmas to all, and to all KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!

anian:
I think I found the problem in your wishes - it seems Santa doesn't deliver on wishes that a lot of people wish for (you might as well add to your list - end cancer, finding world peace etc.). Old Saint Nick just doesn't deliver that often if it's not wrappable in shiny paper.

I guess we can still hope. Happy holidays.

p.s oh, LoganN, I guess your getting coal this year

Are you insinuating that asteroids can't be wrapped in paper?

You sly, sly dog, Shamus. Killing two birds with one stone with that image.

Fad controllers? Check. Kotick? Check. The two things on Page 2 and you find an image that suits both of them.

I found that to be pretty neat.

Wilson Driesens:
And I love Steam, I don't see any need for competition, unless it's the sort of competition that causes Steam's already incredibly low sales to go even lower. In that case, bring it on!

For you maybe, at least here in Sweden we pay almost the same (or sometimes more) than the RETAIL price because of the non-existant conversion rate, WITHOUT the physical copy we get through retail -_- You would think they would do something about that but I guess enough idiots buy anyway to make it worthwhile.

Okay article but I don't get the problem with STEAM though. Not enough explained.

laryri:
Bobby Kotick would just sue Santa for giving him a coalasteroid.

Wouldn't a Coalasteroid just burn up in the atmosphere?

On a more serious note, I tried Impulse. Avencast was on the daily sale at 75% off. I tried to buy it, but when I was on the order screen, and I tried to click "Continue" nothing happened. I waited several minutes. Still nothing happened. Impulse wasn't just being slow, the continue button wasn't working. And of course, Impulse forgot to add a second method of moving to the next step in the checkout process. Sigh.

I was wondering where all the uproar was about sc2s drm, it seemed pretty damn restrictive but everyone was too busy wetting them selfs over a mediocre game to notice I guess

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)