Dear Santa

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Having done the DC Universe Online Beta, I can't wait for Lil Shamus to get his lump of coal when he discoveres what a turd in his stocking this game is. I hope he does a Shamus plays for DCUO. The game is the worst MMO since the orriginal design for Star Wars Galaxies and its going to be hilarious.

Merry Christmas, Li'l Shamus. May you get everything you wish for, since it would make all of our worlds better :)

Pugiron:
Having done the DC Universe Online Beta, I can't wait for Lil Shamus to get his lump of coal when he discoveres what a turd in his stocking this game is. I hope he does a Shamus plays for DCUO. The game is the worst MMO since the orriginal design for Star Wars Galaxies and its going to be hilarious.

I actually thought it was brilliant. Just need to replace my damn PS3. I must be the only person in the world who's had no problem with my 360 but got the YLOD on my PS3.

Meatstorm:

Woodsey:

OT: The Steam one would be nice, but it is really hard to care when I've just bought Bad Company 2 for 6, New Vegas for 15, Torchlight for 3 and the SoT sequels for 2 each.

I have only one gripe with steam. Steam prices are same in dollars and euros which means that every game i buy there is cheaper for British and American users :(

Not that this would be a big difference but i still dislike getting the short end of the stick.

I also bought BC2 and paid 13,99e for it.

Don't mention New Vegas. Even on daily sale it was more expensive here in Australia than the American normal RRP. $53.51 or something like that.

Meatstorm:

Woodsey:

OT: The Steam one would be nice, but it is really hard to care when I've just bought Bad Company 2 for 6, New Vegas for 15, Torchlight for 3 and the SoT sequels for 2 each.

I have only one gripe with steam. Steam prices are same in dollars and euros which means that every game i buy there is cheaper for British and American users :(

Not that this would be a big difference but i still dislike getting the short end of the stick.

Actually it's us British users who get the short end of the stick as the pound is worth more than both the Euro and the Dollar :-(

Spot1990:

Pugiron:

I actually thought it was brilliant. Just need to replace my damn PS3. I must be the only person in the world who's had no problem with my 360 but got the YLOD on my PS3.

Considering you think a game is brilliant when Batman would have to go punch a bunch of guys before he could use stealth, you're probably using your PS3 wrong, or else you are an Escapist staff member in your "I'm in disguise to praise a game that has paid for good press" account.

Pugiron:

Spot1990:

Pugiron:

Considering you think a game is brilliant when Batman would have to go punch a bunch of guys before he could use stealth, you're probably using your PS3 wrong, or else you are an Escapist staff member in your "I'm in disguise to praise a game that has paid for good press" account.

I wish I was staff here.

What do you mean have to punch a bunch of guys before using stealth? I never played a stealth character but I did play a shapeshifter and none of my abilities, plant or transformation required me to punch a bunch of guys unless I used them all up. You only have to build up to special abilities within a fight. Just running around or going into a fight you can use all your abilities.

I'm not using my PS3 at all... YLOD remember? Maybe it's just, you know, not everyone thinks the exact same way you do. But no I disagree with you, so I must be an Escapist spy or something.

Irridium:
For christmas, I want a fast internet connection. That would make me very, very happy. Since I just came from TF2 after 3 straight games with a ping of 996.

... Hooow?
How did you managed to play 3 straight games with a ping of 996?
Also I'm not sure a fast internet will help, maby try servers from your country?

fanklok:
Are you insinuating that asteroids can't be wrapped in paper?

I dare you to prove me wrong by finding it and sending it to me all wrapped up with ribbons and bows. In fact, I double dare you.

NooNameLeft:

Irridium:
For christmas, I want a fast internet connection. That would make me very, very happy. Since I just came from TF2 after 3 straight games with a ping of 996.

... Hooow?
How did you managed to play 3 straight games with a ping of 996?
Also I'm not sure a fast internet will help, maby try servers from your country?

Engie. I set up a sentry in a smart place, and let it do the work. Spies were an issue though, but thankfully it was just one.

And servers in my country weren't much better. About a ping of 800.

Completely agree about DC Universe. I can't bring myself to choose between it and WoW, especially with Cataclysm being all kinds of amazing. Yet at the same time I want to fight alongside Batman and the Joker. I wish that DC would offer a neutral-mercenary type of character.

This reminds me, I'm going to shut down my computer and go play some videogames.

laryri:
Bobby Kotick would just sue Santa for giving him a coalasteroid.

Well, Santa is probably one man even Kotick cannot outsue. He has infinite wealth, after all.

DancePuppets:

Meatstorm:

Woodsey:

Actually it's us British users who get the short end of the stick as the pound is worth more than both the Euro and the Dollar :-(

True that pounds are more valuable, but the point is when you're charged 6 pounds i am supposed to pay 13,99 ;)

edit: Ah nvm. According to steam pricing history the prices seem to match. Well i guess then you do get the short end of the stick.

Woodsey:

LoganN:
Another shit article by Shamus.

Evidently you're far more interesting and articulate.

ISN'T THE STEAM SALE SO EXCITING!?!??!!?

Sorry, I gotta calm it down

OT: Great Poem at the end

A Christmas disaster, caused by a Blizzard

Oooh, someone who knows what irony actually means. I'm a happy boy this Christmas.
Thank you Mr. Young!

That poem made my Christmas day!

Spot1990:

Pugiron:

Spot1990:

I wish I was staff here.

What do you mean have to punch a bunch of guys before using stealth? I never played a stealth character but I did play a shapeshifter and none of my abilities, plant or transformation required me to punch a bunch of guys unless I used them all up. You only have to build up to special abilities within a fight. Just running around or going into a fight you can use all your abilities.

I'm not using my PS3 at all... YLOD remember? Maybe it's just, you know, not everyone thinks the exact same way you do. But no I disagree with you, so I must be an Escapist spy or something.

Like many of the stupid, broken aspects of the retarded DCUO MMO, Stealth is a power. Powers that must be charged up in combat. That means to use stealth you have to punch, shoot, stab, or whatever your form of combat skill is enough guys to charge it up BEFORE you can use stealth. Just liek all those scened from DC Comics where Batman had to beat up a gang of thugs efore he could sneak up on another group of thugs, remember? No? Oh, thats because IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY IN THE COMICS. By trying to combine an MMO with DC vs Capcom, they made an inbred retard baby that will please no one.

Pugiron:

Spot1990:

Pugiron:

I wish I was staff here.

Like many of the stupid, broken aspects of the retarded DCUO MMO, Stealth is a power. Powers that must be charged up in combat. That means to use stealth you have to punch, shoot, stab, or whatever your form of combat skill is enough guys to charge it up BEFORE you can use stealth. Just liek all those scened from DC Comics where Batman had to beat up a gang of thugs efore he could sneak up on another group of thugs, remember? No? Oh, thats because IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY IN THE COMICS. By trying to combine an MMO with DC vs Capcom, they made an inbred retard baby that will please no one.

Lots of people are playing the Beta and enjoying it. And as I've said, I never used stealth but if activating stealth is anything like activating Gorilla form or wolf form then you can activate it freely outside of fights.

Why are you getting so pissed off about a game you don't like? Just don't play it, but don't act like just because you don't like it no one else will. Just because other people do like it doesn't mean they're wrong or being dishonest.

Spot1990:

Pugiron:

Spot1990:
I wish I was staff here.

Lots of people are playing the Beta and enjoying it. And as I've said, I never used stealth but if activating stealth is anything like activating Gorilla form or wolf form then you can activate it freely outside of fights.

Why are you getting so pissed off about a game you don't like? Just don't play it, but don't act like just because you don't like it no one else will. Just because other people do like it doesn't mean they're wrong or being dishonest.

Why are you cheering so hard for a game you claim to have not played, yet you claim to know much about? I could not use stealth without charging it up nor could my friend that played beta. We both hated it, as did every person I discussed it with in game. You sound more and more like someone with a vested intrest in the game cheerleading it, not like a casual user interested in discussing it openly.

RejjeN:

Woodsey:

LoganN:
Another shit article by Shamus.

Evidently you're far more interesting and articulate.

If only we (edit:Non-UK) Europeans wasn't shafted by the the store... "Hurr, 40 US dollars is 40 Euro right? DURRRR"

Steam pays VAT over every transaction to the EU. Tax on products is around 20% in northwestern Europe.
That's only a little less than the conversion rate.

Pugiron:

Spot1990:

Pugiron:

Why are you cheering so hard for a game you claim to have not played, yet you claim to know much about? I could not use stealth without charging it up nor could my friend that played beta. We both hated it, as did every person I discussed it with in game. You sound more and more like someone with a vested intrest in the game cheerleading it, not like a casual user interested in discussing it openly.

What do you mean have to punch a bunch of guys before using stealth? I never played a stealth character but I did play a shapeshifter and none of my abilities, plant or transformation required me to punch a bunch of guys unless I used them all up.

Are you actually even reading my posts? I said I never played a stealth character and that my character's transformations didn't require punching a bunch of guys.

http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuops3/forums/show.m?forum_id=9

http://www.facebook.com/DCUniverseOnline

Some people are enjoying this game and looking forward to it's full release. Stop being ridiculous, I'm not some plant, the 75,000 people following it on Facebook aren't plants, all the people discussing it in the beta forums aren't plants. How am I the one who doesn't want to discuss this openly? I'm the one saying some people will like it, some people won't. You're the one saying no one will like it ever. If anything I could say you're a Cryptic studios employee just here to slander the competition. But I won't, because I want to discuss this openly rather than just accuse you of being dishonest.

@Irridium

You poor poor man, I was always pissed with my very unstable ping(that spiked up to 350 every so often) but now I am saddened that such connections exist...tonight I shed a tear for you(its morning what ever)

I haven't even allowed myself to look at DCUO. I looked a bit, got excited, then said "Wait, I'm gonna have to play Cata, I still need to play more DDO, SW:TOR is coming out, there are like 4 F2P games I keep meaning to try, oh yeah, LOTRO is free now, and I've got this whole Xbox 360 thing I've discovered has tons of games I like, not least among them Halo: Reach and Assbro, both of which encourage tons of playing. Also, there are these stupid web based pseudo CCGs I keep getting addicted to.

Bugger.

I'll tell yah what I want for Christmas..

Stolen Pixels >.<

But seriously, nice article..

That might be THE MOST depressing poem I have ever read.

Re Steam, don't overestimate the attractiveness of the whole integration thing. I don't personally need social networking or anything to play games, so long as I can choose servers and use in-game voice.

And I'd like to point out that these features are not always all positive. For example, social networking n'stuff is another way for griefers to find targets. I have stood up against total @sshat jerkoffs being total @sshat jerkoffs in games exactly twice. For some time after, both of those losers and all of their friends routinely tried to "friend" me so they could track the games I play, invade them and fire off kickvotes. And they all still insta-kickvote me when I join games they're in (and I use quickmatch/regular join so I'm joining blindly). I could hear the last one saying "because, because, just because, do it, because" when someone on his team questioned the last insta kickvote, so you know it's total bullcrap.

However, I regard that as them putting in the effort to operate my bozo filter for me, so I'm not too concerned for myself. But it points out that any information you give out about people can be used in a bad way.

Tom Phoenix:
I don't care how much Santa may ignore me. I will still keep asking him to make DRM go away. It does nothing but harm customers and PC gaming in general.

I don't make it a habit of being cruel, but DRM should go die in a ditch somewhere.

Shamus' wish is certainly reasonable, though. Transparency towards DRM. Ideally, I'd like to see the whole shebang die in a fire, but since it won't, I'd like to see them stop BSing us. DRM makes me unlikely to buy PC games. My desktop is already getting old, and it's bad enough being unsure of whether or not a game will run with my specs. It's worse when I have to wonder whether the DRM will cripple it, or if I can still run the game when the internet is out, or if I need to rebuy the game if the data gets corrupted and I need to reinstall.

Steam won't even let me run in offline mode, FFS.

Ah, you want Steam to be kicked down a notch, and Stardock up a notch. A fine gesture, but there's just one thing I've got to say.

Currently, the Digital Distribution Market is an Oligopoly with one major contender and many minor contenders (Stardock, GFWL Marketplace, and D2D, I'm looking at you). People seem to flock to Steam because VALVe has pumped so much into the quality. I'm not saying a reduction of its share is bad, but just remember: Sometimes if it isn't broke, it shouldn't be fixed. If it works, it works, and people go for longtime quality.

How about "little Shamus" continues his stolen Pixel series already? That would be way more appreciated then columns.

And naughty boys don't get anything for Christmas too.

A great point made by Shamus. Impluse often has games that they only release in Canada and the US. Yet I can get the same thing from Steam so I'm a little disappointed that I can't benefit from the deals and "impulse buys".

I don't see the point in wanting a contender against Steam. Why would I ever want to have to make an entirely new account for an entirely different service because they offer a game for the same platform that I can't get on Steam due to it having a decent market similar to Valve's service? If anything, I pray that Steam remains dominant and destroys other digital distributors not only because the service is outright superior to every other one out there but because it is extremely simple and easy to just have one place to go to and once place to set up an account with one big integrated community led by a company that I know isn't going away any time soon.

The only part I had a small issue with was the "Bring up a contender to Steam" part. I understand that competition is healthy and constructive, but it's certainly not like steam isn't doing a good job with their client.

I really enjoyed your article Shamus. I found your wishlist to be quite reasonable, and I'll admit I've found myself wanting it on the behlaf of others, mostly because I don't find DRM fair in concept or it's application. (Not to mention because it causes much misery and irritation for many people.)

I also share your sense of irritation about fad controllers, too. Just give me a joypad and I'm happy as pig in.. well - I'm sure you know the rest. :) But if people want to play their Guitar Hero games with guitar mock-ups, then I say leave 'em to it. It brings the publishers and sevelopers money to work on bigger and better things. (Or so the theory goes...)

I should end this post because I'm starting to ramble. But before I go, have a happy new year.

Shamus Young:
Experienced Points: Dear Santa

What does little Shamus want for Christmas?

Read Full Article

Great article Shamus, one of your better. I really agree about Steam needing a competitor. As much as I love the service Steam provides, it is worrying that they are seeming the only dog on the street. That metaphor made no sense, and neither does having a single online distributor without competition!

Pugiron:

Were we playing the same beta? I found it a bit glitchy but a lot of potential. Oh well to each his own and i do hope the problems i had with the beta will be cleared up by launch. But come on the worst? Even compared to ff14?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here