286: The 12-Year-Old English Kid Who Carried Us to Victory

Pages PREV 1 2

Know what's more annoying and pointless than listening to someone talk shit on an FPS multiplayer game?

People who use phrases like "The N Word" or "A word that starts with N and rhymes with chigger" as if that somehow isn't actually saying Nigger. Why do we fear a word like that? It's one thing if you're gonna call someone a Nigger, that IS offensive, but saying "someone called me that" or "This is what that word means" or what have you, that's not. Words are just words, and to quote a late comedian:

"There are 400,000 words in the English language, and 7 you can't say on television. 400,000 to 7, that's a pretty fucked up ratio isn't it?"

I seriously couldn't get through this article at all because Fuck and Shit were words that could be used but Nigger and Faggot had to be so condescendingly stated and yet because of how language works, still actually states the word. It's political facesaving, it's not actually avoiding the use of the word, can't stand that crap.

Haha. Love it.

About 4 lines down I could tell I was reading a novelists work. And I mean that as a compliment.

Mythrignoc:
Know what's more annoying and pointless than listening to someone talk shit on an FPS multiplayer game?

People who use phrases like "The N Word" or "A word that starts with N and rhymes with chigger" as if that somehow isn't actually saying Nigger. Why do we fear a word like that? It's one thing if you're gonna call someone a Nigger, that IS offensive, but saying "someone called me that" or "This is what that word means" or what have you, that's not. Words are just words, and to quote a late comedian:

"There are 400,000 words in the English language, and 7 you can't say on television. 400,000 to 7, that's a pretty fucked up ratio isn't it?"

I seriously couldn't get through this article at all because Fuck and Shit were words that could be used but Nigger and Faggot had to be so condescendingly stated and yet because of how language works, still actually states the word. It's political facesaving, it's not actually avoiding the use of the word, can't stand that crap.

That's the most retarded reason for ignoring a article that I've ever heard.

If it irks you so be it. But don't judge an entire article based on someone's use of manners.

Whether you agree with it or not the 'N' word. And I will be calling it that, is not a socially acceptable word. unless you're trying to evoke a reaction, it probably doesn't need to be said. If you want to say it, more power to you. But don't judge others because they choose not to use it.

Fuck is an expression, as is shit. It's not necessarily derogatory. You can use the word without malice. The 'N' word on the other hand. That cannot be said without malice, (unless used ironically, which is just as redundant.) if someone chooses to avoid using it for chance of offending someone, then it's their choice. Judging what is essentially a piece of prose based on that is, in my opinion, fucking annoying.

dathwampeer:

Mythrignoc:

If it irks you so be it. But don't judge an entire article based on someone's use of manners.

Whether you agree with it or not the 'N' word. And I will be calling it that, is not a socially acceptable word. unless you're trying to evoke a reaction, it probably doesn't need to be said. If you want to say it, more power to you. But don't judge others because they choose not to use it.

Fuck is an expression, as is shit. It's not necessarily derogatory. You can use the word without malice. The 'N' word on the other hand. That cannot be said without malice, (unless used ironically, which is just as redundant.) if someone chooses to avoid using it for chance of offending someone, then it's their choice. Judging what is essentially a piece of prose based on that is, in my opinion, fucking annoying.

"Nigger is a word used to insult black people"

There, I just used your oh so taboo "N word" without malice defeating most of your argument.

However, you mostly MISSED my point by a mile so I'm going to explain it again. I am not disturbed that he avoided saying the word, I am disturbed that he chose to use a method that deludes people into thinking they avoided the word, when it didn't at all.

Saying "The N Word" doesn't change anything, everyone's mind immediately goes to Nigger, making the phrase synonymous with the word itself. Neither has any less meaning, both point to one definition, the disparaging of black people, and thus saying "The N Word" is no different and no less or more insulting than saying Nigger.

Furthermore, he chose to go beyond that and basically go for a childish route by rhyming. I may have overlooked the whole "The N word" and "The F word for gay people" but "A word that starts with N that rhymes with chigger." That's infantile, and not to be respected in my opinion.

That is why I chose not to read his argument. Not because he didn't say it, but because he did while thinking he didn't.

Mythrignoc:

dathwampeer:

Mythrignoc:

There, I just used your oh so taboo "N word" without malice defeating most of your argument.

However, you mostly MISSED my point by a mile so I'm going to explain it again. I am not disturbed that he avoided saying the word, I am disturbed that he chose to use a method that deludes people into thinking they avoided the word, when it didn't at all.

Saying "The N Word" doesn't change anything, everyone's mind immediately goes to Nigger, making the phrase synonymous with the word itself. Neither has any less meaning, both point to one definition, the disparaging of black people, and thus saying "The N Word" is no different and no less or more insulting than saying Nigger.

Furthermore, he chose to go beyond that and basically go for a childish route by rhyming. I may have overlooked the whole "The N word" and "The F word for gay people" but "A word that starts with N that rhymes with chigger." That's infantile, and not to be respected in my opinion.

That is why I chose not to read his argument. Not because he didn't say it, but because he did while thinking he didn't.

You missed what I meant too.

You didn't use the word. At-least not in the way I was getting at. You referred to an instance of the word being used. I was saying that you cannot use the word genuinely without malice. You can say 'That's fucking fantastic' or 'That's shit hot'. You can't actually use the 'N' word without some sort of hostility (disregarding irony). Referring to an instance of the word being used doesn't really count.

The reason people don't tend to use the actual word, even when referring to it, is to avoid hostility. Nothing more. If you choose not to, that's fine. I have no issue with that. But I don't see how you can have an issue with someone abbreviating it because they dislike the word.

Although the rhyming was a bit far, I'll grant you that.

dathwampeer:

Mythrignoc:

dathwampeer:

You didn't use the word. At-least not in the way I was getting at. You referred to an instance of the word being used. I was saying that you cannot use the word genuinely without malice. You can say 'That's fucking fantastic' or 'That's shit hot'. You can't actually use the 'N' word without some sort of hostility (disregarding irony). Referring to an instance of the word being used doesn't really count.

The reason people don't tend to use the actual word, even when referring to it, is to avoid hostility. Nothing more. If you choose not to, that's fine. I have no issue with that. But I don't see how you can have an issue with someone abbreviating it because they dislike the word.

Not in the way you were getting at? You said point blank "The N word can't be said without malice" and I proved you wrong. There was NO 'exceptions' or 'buts' or 'unless's' in that statement.

But as for your "That's fucking fantastic" argument, yes, you CAN use Nigger without hostility. Black people do it every day, they call each other "My nigga" as a slang for "My brother." And before you get all uppity about the spelling of Nigga versus Nigger, keep in mind that Nigger is -already- slang for Negro, and while it's officially a word now, Nigga is just another slang word for Nigger.

And the whole "Only black people can use Nigga" argument? Fuck that, if they wanna take the word back and make it into something positive instead of negative more power to them but limiting it to one race of people that are allowed to say it utterly destroys any hope of positivity from the word and keeps it just as racist as ever.

Most editors and writers who want to say "People on Xbox live will call you a faggot" without actually saying faggot, or nigger without saying nigger, would simply write something like "People on Xbox live have no issues throwing a few racial or bigoted slurs your way on a multiplayer game." There, THAT'S how to refer to something racist without actually saying it. Just say "it's something racist."

Mythrignoc:

dathwampeer:

Mythrignoc:

Not in the way you were getting at? You said point blank "The N word can't be said without malice" and I proved you wrong. There was NO 'exceptions' or 'buts' or 'unless's' in that statement.

But as for your "That's fucking fantastic" argument, yes, you CAN use Nigger without hostility. Black people do it every day, they call each other "My nigga" as a slang for "My brother." And before you get all uppity about the spelling of Nigga versus Nigger, keep in mind that Nigger is -already- slang for Negro, and while it's officially a word now, Nigga is just another slang word for Nigger.

And the whole "Only black people can use Nigga" argument? Fuck that, if they wanna take the word back and make it into something positive instead of negative more power to them but limiting it to one race of people that are allowed to say it utterly destroys any hope of positivity from the word and keeps it just as racist as ever.

Most editors and writers who want to say "People on Xbox live will call you a faggot" without actually saying faggot, or nigger without saying nigger, would simply write something like "People on Xbox live have no issues throwing a few racial or bigoted slurs your way on a multiplayer game." There, THAT'S how to refer to something racist without actually saying it. Just say "it's something racist."

I'm on my phone so I'm gonna keep this short and sweet.

What you did was refer to an instance of the word being used. You did not use the word. And what you said about black people using it to each other. That's ironically. I've already covered that. And I agree that shouldn't be race specific. If some people are allowed to use it ironically, we all should be.

And again. When referring to a venomous word. If people want to dance around. They're entitled to. Just as you're entitled not to.

dathwampeer:

Mythrignoc:

dathwampeer:

What you did was refer to an instance of the word being used. You did not use the word. And what you said about black people using it to each other. That's ironically. I've already covered that. And I agree that shouldn't be race specific. If some people are allowed to use it ironically, we all should be.

And again. When referring to a venomous word. If people want to dance around. They're entitled to. Just as you're entitled not to.

No, it's not Ironic and if you think it is, you don't know what 'Ironic' means.

In any case, yet again you missed my point. I have no issue with people 'dancing around the word' as you put it. I don't care if people don't want to use it, I'm totally fine with that.

My only issue, for the bazillionth time, is the author of this article who DID use it in a way that deludes him into thinking he didn't and in a childish manner to boot. He didn't dance around, he didn't avoid the word, he didn't find a loophole or somehow not use it, he did in fact use the word by describing it in that level of unnecessary detail.

Mythrignoc:

dathwampeer:

Mythrignoc:

No, it's not Ironic and if you think it is, you don't know what 'Ironic' means.

In any case, yet again you missed my point. I have no issue with people 'dancing around the word' as you put it. I don't care if people don't want to use it, I'm totally fine with that.

My only issue, for the bazillionth time, is the author of this article who DID use it in a way that deludes him into thinking he didn't and in a childish manner to boot. He didn't dance around, he didn't avoid the word, he didn't find a loophole or somehow not use it, he did in fact use the word by describing it in that level of unnecessary detail.

Actually. It depends entirely on which meaning of the word you're using. I'm using it as the use of a word to convey meaning of something other than it's intention. That is a valid form of irony.

1. the humorous or mildly sarcastic use of words to imply the opposite of what they normally mean

Seeing as the word is essentially a derogatory put down, used to remove the humanity of the recipient. Black people using is as a blasť greeting is indeed irony.

And again. For the bazillionth time to you. The author didn't use the word. He referred to the word and abbreviated it.

How exactly could he have referred to the word being used without somehow indicating which word he means? The rhyming was a bit much I grant you. But saying the 'N' word is a perfectly acceptable way of letting the reader know what he's talking about without actually writing the word.

This isn't that complicated.

Actually. It depends entirely on which meaning of the word you're using. I'm using it as the use of a word to convey meaning of something other than it's intention. That is a valid form of irony.

Sorry but according to both you and your definition, Nigger, a racial slur against black people, and Nigga, a term black people use in place of brother, have absolutely no relation, are not opposites, and therefore not ironic in any way. Learn to read.

And again. For the bazillionth time to you. The author didn't use the word. He referred to the word and abbreviated it.

Yes, he did.

Saying "The N Word" is synonymous with saying Nigger. The act of speaking or typing either word/phrase, invokes the same meaning and the same original word. "A word that starts with N that rhymes with chigger" is no different. Our minds go immediately to the thought of the word Nigger, effectively meaning he did say it.

I gave you an example of how he could actually not say it, by referring to racial slurs in general, but putting that specific thought in your head when you read the phrase he typed, it's the same damn thing as saying the word to begin with.

If I tell you "I like the fruit that begins with A and can be made into sauce, juices, cobblers and something called a brown betty," you immediately know I'm talking about apples and therefore I might have well have just the word apple as there's no difference.

But saying the 'N' word is a perfectly acceptable way of letting the reader know what he's talking about without actually writing the word.

You keep arguing with me like your view is fact. It is not fact, it is your opinion as well so yes while you have yours I am entitled to mine. It is my OPINION that it is NOT acceptable. I do not think it is appropriate to use "The N Word" in place of Nigger as a political face saving tactic used to keep a job while getting away with saying the word.

It's the same logic behind the phrase "That's so gay." Somehow it's not okay to say that phrase even though we're not referring to gay people, we're changing the meaning of the word gay (which used to simply mean happy or glee filled before Americans bastardized the words in the 1950's) into stupid through slang euphemism's.

He either needs to grow a pair and say the word Nigger, or not refer to that specific word at all. Writing in his article "A few racial slurs would be tossed my way" is equally effective and is not referring to any specific word. Semantically, "The N Word" is referring to one and only one specific word, and in my opinion is therefore saying the word to begin with. Just as Nigga is a modification to the word Nigger, "The N Word" is the same, nothing but a modification to the word itself.

PIP for President!!! Should of took down his gamer tag or username or whatever though :(

Just saw this article. Fantastic piece. I wish I encountered players like that in the game.

Greatest.
Article.
EVER!

I like it.About time someone gets the credibility they deserve.

I did this dozens of times when I played wow. A surprising amount of people will listen to you when youre the raid leader and your team is losing.

I love this story. Under the right cicumstances those natural leaders can work wonders in an online game. It takes 80% balls and 20% skill to make it work. Thats the great thing about kids, that don't yet have the experience of failure.

I generally don't have problem with the high pitched pre-pub crowd. They are usually nice kids. Kids who are still pretty much under their parents thumb with regards to their behaviour and language. They still have those little kid reflexes and energy so a lot of them can play. These kids actually like playing with older players because it makes them feel a bit cool and they are mostly harmless and sometimes funny. The only problem you might get is them arguing with their parents in the background about how long they can continue to play. The nasty ones are the older ones. The ones who have hit puberty, gotten to their mid to late teens and have gotten a little freedom in life and don't know how to act with it. Then there are the adults who seem to have had there development arrested to that age period.

Ffs, great this boy was amazing, but the way you keep refering to him by nationality and identifying him solely on nationality makes you look like a typical american imbecile. (Imbecile is implied, really).

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here