286: Hey, Listen, I Like Navi

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hey, Listen, I Like Navi

Nobody likes to be told what to do, especially while playing a videogame. But Brendan Main argues that is precisely why Navi from Ocarina of Time is the best sidekick ever.

Read Full Article

I don't really hate Navi. Hell, as far as help characters go she's probably the best. It's just it does get annoying hearing her shouting "Hey! Hey! Listen! Hey!" a billion flippin' times. Yes, I'll go to Death Mountain, Navi, just let me finish my sidequests!

I like Navi too. She's the first person you meet in Hyrule in OoT and she's extremely useful and a faithful companion. Also, I like the fact that instead of have a gossary of terms for enemies etc you can ask her when you Z-target, nice intergration of gameplay I think. In Majora's mask with Tatl it's the same (only a bit more bulshy but that's who Tatl is!).
Oh, and Navi's cute. That alone is a reason to like her. :-)

I never found Navi annoying.

Navi is annoying. She's also an invaluable companion. But still annoying.

If only it were an occasional text bubble instead of the aloud "Hey Listen!" It's the audible part that gets so annoying. Only the first should be audible and thereafter she should remain silent until the next clue.

The thing is though, Tatl, your fairy sidekick in Majora's Mask, is everything Navi is... but immensly less annoying. The reason for that is whilst Navi prompts you with 'hey, listen!' in that irritating voice, Tatl just rings a little bell. It achieves the same effect, but with a lot less annoyance.

So yeah, I appreciate all that Navi did for me, but Tatl showed us that it could have been done in a less annoying way.

HEY *repeat 1000 times*
LISTEN *repeat 1000 times*
WATCH OUT *repeat 1000 times*

no wonder links a mute he was driven mad by her years before the game starts.
ok she's not so bad but I wish she had more to say.

Oh wow, someone who actually shares my same opinion about Navi.

ryo02:

Actually he didn't have a fairy until the game started, because he's not a Kokiri.

Ravek:

ryo02:

Actually he didn't have a fairy until the game started, because he's not a Kokiri.

And besides, wouldn't it be more logical if he'd be a loud-mouted obscene-spouting guy, due to having to try to muffle out Navi's bullshit (I don't know, I sometimes do that in a conversation when it's warranted)?

I actually find Navi's voice enjoyable. Her "Hey" is my notification ringtone.

a

The Great JT:
I don't really hate Navi. Hell, as far as help characters go she's probably the best. It's just it does get annoying hearing her shouting "Hey! Hey! Listen! Hey!" a billion flippin' times. Yes, I'll go to Death Mountain, Navi, just let me finish my sidequests!

Navi always repeatedly bugged me about the damned Death Mountain like some child on vacation asking "Are we there, yet?" If not for that, I might not have minded the shouts of "Hey!" and "Listen!" so much.

Love the line in the article "Bad turns to worse. Worse turns to Water Temple."

Amazing article. It's things like this that make me step back and look at the games I've enjoyed and see all the things that the creators did so amazingly right. Thanks for this insight!

Amazing article. It's things like this that make me step back and look at the games I've enjoyed and see all the things that the creators did so amazingly right. Thanks for this insight!

Is this a repost?

I remember reading an identical article a long time ago, probably a year or more ago...

I didn't mind navi since my copy of the game didn't have the infamous glitch where she didn't shut up so she only talked when needed.

PureIrony:
I actually find Navi's voice enjoyable. Her "Hey" is my notification ringtone.

I've been needing a new message tone for a while now. A Zelda-themed one, that is a brilliant idea. Now I just have to choose between "Hey! Listen!" and the "got item" tune, haha.

I adored Navi. I found her adorable, extremely helpful (I have distinct memories of her teaching me how to beat the water temple boss) and her little voices chimed in just frequently enough to be comfortingly reliable without being terribly annoying. Watch out!

Tatl was less annoying because of her bell replacing the voice, but significantly more annoying just because she was, well, a bit of a stupid bitch. (To the extent that fairies can be.) While Navi felt like she was encouraging you to go in the right direction, Tatl felt like she was punishing you for going in the wrong one. I felt they hit the perfect balance with Midna in Twilight Princess, though, and it was also nice in that game to find out that this little imp thing was actually relevant to the greater plot.

Ravek:

just because she wasnt "his" doesnt mean she didnt bug him even if she didnt everyone else had them MILLIONS of HEY LISTENS.

Fraught:
And besides, wouldn't it be more logical if he'd be a loud-mouted obscene-spouting guy, due to having to try to muffle out Navi's bullshit (I don't know, I sometimes do that in a conversation when it's warranted)?

it was a joke but becoming a mute is a viable outcome or maybe he's just her brainwashed slave at this point.

I liked Tatl a little more, pissy though she was.

"Water Temple" gets my vote for the modern equivalent of FUBAR (not an impassible obstacle, merely one that will make you want to bang your head against a wall, if only to potentially divert the proscribed path from the horrors that await).

If I recall correctly, that was the only temple in which Navi and Link were equally confused as to how to proceed. (It's been a few years since my last playthrough of OoT, but didn't the Water Temple require more forethought on the player's part than any other area of the game?) It seems to me that the Water Temple functioned as the sole trial in which Navi and Link could be considered of equivalent rank, neither individual truly leading nor following, but both stumbling, almost blindly, through a completely foreign environment. I mean, what would a forest child and a skyfaring shapeshifter know of underwater exploration, except what they discover in tandem?

Loved the article, BTW (and apologies if this bit of rambling belongs in a different thread. I've sporadically lurked before, and am attempting to figure out protocol/etiquette as I go). Hooray for the under-appreciated sidekicks!

Urban Dictionary:
The water temple probably the most misunderstood dungeon in Zelda 64. Easy enough if you pay attention, by brutally freaking impossible if you get lost at any point. Also, easy to skip about 3/4 of it using simple logic and awareness of surroundings.

1: Oh man... I got soo lost in the Water Temple earlier. Took me a couple hours!

2: Really? I skipped to the boss after I got the Longshot.

This is the definition i agree with on urban dictionary

I would like to know which brain virus possesses the rest of the world to honestly believe that Navi says "Hey! Listen!" a million times.

Maybe it's an American OOT version thing (I played the European), but...

NO, SHE DOESN'T!

I admit that she does it often in the first dungeon, and yes, it gets annoying. But after that? You start a game session, she says it three minutes in to remind you in which point of the game you are, and then shuts her mouth for LIKE TWO HOURS. And that only if you don't proceed with the main story, which if you do, she never says it again. EVER.

The rest of the time, either her voice is kinda overlapped by the Z-Targeting buzzing sound effect when you lock on an enemy/object/whatever (and even then she says "Watch out!" in these situations), or you have to play "Saria's Song", meaning it is a willing action from your part.

Maybe it's a first impressions thing. She gets annoying at the beginning of the game, so people form their opinion and stick with it, even though she never gets like that again once you put your eyes on Hyrule Field. Projection makes the rest.

When so much anger and hatedom is based in such a misguided feeling, it's just plain sad.

PS: Water Temple for the win! "Water Temple: If you need to change the water level more than three times, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!"

Where does the hate for Navi come from? I loved her, and her voice was actually kind of erotic for my young self to listen to. She spoke a lot but that just meant she really wanted you to pay attention. She just wanted some love and Navi, I give you my love. <3 Thank you for keeping me alive during my travels in saving Hyrule.

Navi is both the best and most annoying sidekick.

I bring you evidence that Navi is indeed annoying:

seriously though, Navi was useful, I just wish she had a vocabulary of more than six words..............

I still have nightmares where I'm in the water temple and Navi is shouting at me. I try to find the extended hookshot but I keep getting stuck and Navi is shrieking in my ear, "Hey, Listen!" There is no way I will ever see Navi in a positive light.

Ocarina of Time was immersive enough for me to at some point only notice the up C button going crazy. I started to regard her four lines the same as say any gun in any FPS I ever played, you hear that sound a lot and it certainly isn't annoying.

Ahaha, I read this as I like Na'vi - an entirely different discussion, but one that probably also has the same amount of controversy.

Did make for a few lines of really awkward reading.

On Topic: I never played Ocarina of Time, sadly, so I cannot comment on the specific character, but I agree that sometimes it's nice to have some guidance, even in a video game.

As long as you can choose to ignore it.

If it's just feeding you the next part over and over again, it will undoubtedly get really frustrating and boring.

Niagro:
Ahaha, I read this as I like Na'vi - an entirely different discussion, but one that probably also has the same amount of controversy.

Did make for a few lines of really awkward reading.

On Topic: I never played Ocarina of Time, sadly, so I cannot comment on the specific character, but I agree that sometimes it's nice to have some guidance, even in a video game.

As long as you can choose to ignore it.

If it's just feeding you the next part over and over again, it will undoubtedly get really frustrating and boring.

You need to get yourself a 3DS and get yourself that game if you know what good it is ^^
I just enjoy the jokes that are made XD takes alot to annoy me.

NRX:

You need to get yourself a 3DS and get yourself that game if you know what good it is ^^
I just enjoy the jokes that are made XD takes alot to annoy me.

So I have been told many times, but I've somewhat moved on from games like that, though i do still miss The Windwaker.

Remember Otis, from Dead Rising? Hi Frank, it's Otis, I need you to DROP EVERYTHING YOU'RE DOING because I have some super awesome info about some asshole you don't give a fuck about! What's that, you're surrounded by zombies DID YOU JUST HANG UP ON ME NEVER HANG UP ON ME YOU HAVE ONE TRILLION MESSAGES OTIS I'M GOING TO KILL YOU WITH MY BARE HANDS

Navi was always okay in my book.

Is it a mistake that this was reposted? The same article was posted in August.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_268/8026-Hey-Listen-I-Like-Navi

Edit: Never mind, just realised it is a 'best of' issue of the Escapist. My noob.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here