Preview: Magic the Gathering Tactics

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Preview: Magic the Gathering Tactics

Mashing up a CCG with tactical combat is a brilliant idea.

Read Full Article

I was sold on the idea until I heard that it's exactly as expensive as buying REAL cards and you're stuck buying booster packs until you can get the cards you want. I'd much rather pay for a game that lets you earn cards inside the game itself rather than a "free" game that is unplayable unless you start funneling your money into it.

Senaro:
I was sold on the idea until I heard that it's exactly as expensive as buying REAL cards...

Ugh, really? This is exactly why I never got into MTG Online back in the day. I'm not going to blow $4 on a "virtual" booster pack.

Lame...

I'll just be honest... this sounds freakin' great to me. A tactics-style game with all the fun of Magic, and NO MANA SCREW? Sign me the hell up.

I hope it can set itself apart from other tactics games, though, otherwise it'll only bounce around the Magic fanbase.

EDIT: Yeah, the $4 thing sounds lame. Hopefully, there'll be other ways to pick up boosters.

If there's a way around spending just as much on virtual boosters as I would on real ones? DO WANT.

Otherwise, no computer-generated crinkly sound can replace the real crinkly sound of opening a fresh booster. Especially when you see that mythic rare...

I wasn't sure about this, until I found out how much it would cost. Now I'm definitely not interested.

They should just do this like every other card video game. Pay 30-40 bucks for the game itself, then earn in-game money from beating missions and multiplayer matches and whatnot, then let us spend the in-game money on cards.

I love playing Magic, that is I loved playing Magic up until my friends all decided they had better things to do than our weekly games. I'm going to give this a look regardless, but I'm really hoping that you can earn cards in game rather than be forced to buy boosters, even if it is at a slower rate. It'd be a slightly less appealing, but cheaper method of gather powerful spells, I mean I already have thousands of MtG cards that I've spent too much money on, I'd hate for this to be in a similar vein.

Senaro:
I was sold on the idea until I heard that it's exactly as expensive as buying REAL cards and you're stuck buying booster packs until you can get the cards you want. I'd much rather pay for a game that lets you earn cards inside the game itself rather than a "free" game that is unplayable unless you start funneling your money into it.

I agree with you in a way, but since you don't have to pay for the actual game you've got a spare $60 to chuck money into it if you think it's worth it, it's basically a demo, though I'm sure the campaign will end up being worth some cards (though perhaps only basic ones). Personally I despise MMOs because they have you buying the game for $50+ just so you've earned the 'privilege' of paying the $15 monthly subscription, but that's just me going off topic.

Truth be told this looks a lot like heroes to me, takeaway the annoying building up an army bit. (Don't get me wrong, heroes is a freakin' awesome series, and the building is nice at first, but it doesn't take much tact and just means that you're generally spending half the game waiting so you've got all your units ready to go and the real game can begin, though maybe that's just me)

I like playing Magic: the Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers exactly because everyone is on an even playing field. Sure, you can't customize the decks as much as I'd like to, but there's still plenty of room to play around with the unlockable cards. Just because you can add 20+ cards to your deck doesn't mean it's a good idea...

Now with the addition of these virtual booster packs (I'm positively certain other Developers have done this before with similar games) it looks like I'm going to stick with MtG Duels of the Planeswalkers. I got something like 3000 - 4000 MtG cards in my basement dating all the way back to the 6th expansion set titled "Ice Age" released in 1995. I'm not going to waste my money on virtual cards. No thanks, I'll take a pass.

I can already see servers with starter deck only admin rules for people who just like free fun

The idea sounds great. From what i read it can totally work. . . . it could be a rly big thing.
The buying of cards is a bit scary tho. . . . if you quit thea real Magic at least you get to keep the cards....but if done right. . .who knows.

What i dont understand is, . the game is MtG franchise. . .but in the article it was mentioned that there were few tips of the hat towards Magic fans...shouldnt all cards from the TCG be put into the online version...kinda makes sense :O

Cards are now called spells? SERIOUSLY?!

On the other hand, spellbooks kinda makes more sense than libraries, at least size wise.

So this is basically Heroes of Might and Magic and/or Disciples minus the world map, economics and travelling plus MTG universe, spells and what not. May be nice, may be not. Time will show.

Maybe they could do a thing where when you buy a booster in real life, you could scan some sort of code into the online database and have it show up in your "game" spellbook... And land could show up as some other card, determined randomly from some set list?

Tonimata:

Weren't they all originally spells anyway? Like creature cards were actually "summon this creature" as opposed to the creature itself.

OT: I'm following the bandwagon here. Sounds like a great idea, but 4 bucks for 10 cards? Heck no. 2 dollars, maybe.

Meh, Id rather have subscription based system, then buy two sets of cards, virtual and real.

MTG + Tactics? GIMMEE!

The only way this could generate more gamelust in me would be if it included karoke and foosball as game play elements and had tits and weed for prizes.

A boy can dream.

MisterShine:

Tonimata:

Weren't they all originally spells anyway? Like creature cards were actually "summon this creature" as opposed to the creature itself.

OT: I'm following the bandwagon here. Sounds like a great idea, but 4 bucks for 10 cards? Heck no. 2 dollars, maybe.

I'm pretty sure the original term was "spell card", but you've got the general idea: all the non-land cards represnt spells cast by a planeswalker to produce an effect.

I get my magic fix with Magic Online(Having 11k+ cards available pretty much anywhere I can get internet, plus the ability to join games whenever, plus if I really feel like getting a new set to trade in for real cards), and I get my tactics fix with Heroclix(Which is also a stupid expensive collectible game). I don't really need another collectible game anytime soon.

Damn, I got excited until I heard about the booster "spells." Makes sense, though, if they aren't going to charge for subscription. Oh well. I'm interested to see how well this does.

I'm new to playing Magic myself, picked it up after a gaming convention a few months back,& I've been enjoying it ever since // I can see why there has been such a boom in people playing the game // I also love eBay for been able to to buy loads of cards cheap

-M

I like the concept and it looks like the delivery may be as good as it appears. Still, I don't care much for online games since I rarely have the time to dedicate without interruption to play online and some of them don't have enough content if you don't. The $4 price tag on the virtual cards is a definite turn off. I might as well go buy some nice physical cards if I'm going to spend that much.

Senaro:

Pretty much this. I like Duels of the Planeswalker because I can play a game or two whenever I want without paying to be competitive. DotP has its flaws but it is what I think most people want in a MTG video game, an inexpensive alternative to actual MTG card games. Something you can play when you have ten or fifteen minutes and want a MTG fix but don't have someone nearby to play against.

Jodah:

Senaro:

Pretty much this. I like Duels of the Planeswalker because I can play a game or two whenever I want without paying to be competitive. DotP has its flaws but it is what I think most people want in a MTG video game, an inexpensive alternative to actual MTG card games. Something you can play when you have ten or fifteen minutes and want a MTG fix but don't have someone nearby to play against.

+1

I understand the business concept, but in reality that 50 - 60 bucks you are "saving" is just the tip of the ice berg. People shell out incredible amounts of money into these games. If you are guaranteed to get at least one rare card per' booster then for a lowly 400 bucks you are pretty much guaranteed to get a deck that's going to beat every newb senseless. It may sound like the height of madness, but offline card buying / trading has tons of money moving in it. O' and they better have a card trading service built into the game.

Telperion:

Jodah:

Senaro:

+1

I understand the business concept, but in reality that 50 - 60 bucks you are "saving" is just the tip of the ice berg. People shell out incredible amounts of money into these games. If you are guaranteed to get at least one rare card per' booster then for a lowly 400 bucks you are pretty much guaranteed to get a deck that's going to beat every newb senseless. It may sound like the height of madness, but offline card buying / trading has tons of money moving in it. O' and they better have a card trading service built into the game.

Magic Online already exists in addition to the paper game. What, another way to spend tons of money on cards? Do not need.

I would rather pay full price (like 60$) for the game and get all the cards, and then have 10-15$ DLC for full expansion sets than the randomness that comes with boosters. I know that's how they plan on making there money but if that's how it's gonna be then it's a no buy for me.

Sounds pretty cool. Been waiting for a FTP-MTG game for some time.
Pyroclasm is a bitch.

Can you tell us if there is any other way to get new cards other than buying?

MrPatience:

Pyroclasm is a bitch.

Assuming the spell is included in the game, and assuming it works anything like the original card. The video makes it obvious that we are talking about a pretty heavy remix of the original rules here, after all.

Looks like a cross between M:TG and Eye of Judgment. Wish they put as much effort into making EoJ work as this, because that was a good core game (which in some ways I liked better than Magic) with fun unit designs and a funky general art style which didn't get the full chance it deserved. Well maybe this explains why the servers were shut down last September.

Speaking of which, $4 sounds very pricey for virtual cards, since what if Sony decides to pull the plug on this one too.

Still it looks hot and I'm looking forward to it, and Sony will probably wiggle at least a few booster pack sales from me.

Since when has Prodigal Pyromancer been a classic?

Senaro:
They should just do this like every other card video game. Pay 30-40 bucks for the game itself, then earn in-game money from beating missions and multiplayer matches and whatnot, then let us spend the in-game money on cards.

That's the only way I play TCGs.

Seriously, when all my friends were blowing hundreds of dollars on Yu-Gi-Oh cards, I was sitting there with my GBA game.

Chomping at the bit, eh?

Allow me to refer you to this little piece of advice Mr Tito...

OT: I'm not into the whole card game thing, not since I stopped collecting Pokemon cards when I was at school like 10 years ago! However this sort of card game/video game crossover might encourage me to take a look all the same.

Onyx Oblivion:

Senaro:

That's the only way I play TCGs.

Seriously, when all my friends were blowing hundreds of dollars on Yu-Gi-Oh cards, I was sitting there with my GBA game.

That's exactly it. Now instead of introducing a cheaper alternative to buying cards, you're stuck spending just as much money as you were on real cards on digital ones that you can only use in one place.

They might as well go ahead and make a tabletop version of this or something. I'll have to check out the starter decks to see how the gameplay goes, though. It looks good, I'm just sad that it's going to be too expensive to actually seriously.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here