Which Square-Enix PS1 classic re-release are you most excited about?
Threads of Fate
2.6% (15)
2.6% (15)
Legend of Mana
17.2% (99)
17.2% (99)
Xenogears
19.2% (110)
19.2% (110)
Vagrant Story
15.3% (88)
15.3% (88)
I'd rather play FF7/FF8/FF9
44.9% (258)
44.9% (258)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Question of the Day, December 30, 2010

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Question of the Day, December 30, 2010

Square-Enix will be re-releasing four of its classic PS1 RPGs on the PlayStation Network for PSP and PS3. Which of the four are you most excited about?

Legend of Mana.

That's my favorite JRPG of all time!

Also, very fond memories of Threads of Fate. VERY FOND.

I'll gladly wait for an online playable Bushido Blade 2. Then I will get excited.
Please don't point me towards Kengo (ack >< )

I haven't played any of those... Those who have, which do you recommend and why?

While I'd love a re-release of one of the PS1 Final Fantasies, I guess I'd go for Vagrant Story, simply for the fact that I've never played it but heard good things.

*looks at the poll* Ooh. This is going to be one of THOSE threads, isn't it?

Well considering i've got 7/8/9 and Vagrant Story then its going to have to be Legend of Mana

Ok, seriously? Vagrant Story gets kicked to the curb? Vagrant Story?! Vagrant Story was one of the best non-FF RPGs on the PSx! It was horribly underrated at the time. Nobody played it because of Final Fantasy. Though it was quite an amazing game!!

Also; Sorry one guy who voted for Threads of Fate. It was a great game, too!

I voted for "I'd rather play Final Fantasy"... somewhat sarcastically, though. I'm really not a fan of their 'classic' games.

Aku_San:
Ok, seriously? Vagrant Story gets kicked to the curb? Vagrant Story?! Vagrant Story was one of the best non-FF RPGs on the PSx! It was horribly underrated at the time. Nobody played it because of Final Fantasy. Though it was quite an amazing game!!

Fun ironic fact; Vagrant Story takes place in Ivalice, the Final Fantasy Tactics and XII world.

Denamic:

Aku_San:

Fun ironic fact; Vagrant Story takes place in Ivalice, the Final Fantasy Tactics and XII world.

That is a fun, ironic fact!

Never played one of these games so I can't say.

From what I hear though the games listed are very good, but I can't decide which to start with.

I would vote for Vagrent Story, but thats been out on the PSN in the EU for ages.

I have FF7 off PSN and I'm happy with that. Never actually heard of the others.

Aku_San:

Also; Sorry one guy who voted for Threads of Fate. It was a great game, too!

The question is why is Vagrant Story even getting a single vote, anyone that really wanted it could have just made an european account and bought it by now, its been there for over a year, while the other 3 have no english version on PSN at all.

Threads of fate, it's the only one of those that I don't already own, did it even have a release over in Europe?

Bought FFVIII off PSN a few days ago because its one of my fave games of all time so i couldnt really care about any of the others

Xenogears, Rather have SD3 though... oh wait thats snes D:

Ahem... Where's Chrono Cross?

I'd rather play Super Meat Boy. =P

What foul creature creates these votes? I mean, most of the time there's no even simple "No" option. I'm not even talking about "None" or "Not interested".

I agree with Aku San - I would love to see Vagrant Story re-done. It was quite underrated and I look forward to finishing it when it's out. Also, Xenogears would be an awesome remake. My best friend and I played through the original years ago and it was quite epic. Love to see what they'd do with an update.

Since it's winter and classic gaming abounds (it's comforting like hot chocolate on a snowy day) I have been replaying Legend of Dragoon. I don't think it was a Square-Enix but I would love to see it re-done as well. It was another overlooked game like Vagrant Story that had a good story and a unique (for the time) battle system.

Anyone remember it or am I showing my age again?

Square released games that weren't Final Fantasy. Wat ?

Wooooooo Legend of Mana. =D

Xenogears and Vagrant Story are on the same level as FFVI and VII, if not higher. The only other games that match them are Chrono Cross and FF Tactics. I would adore a followup to VS since Matsuno is back (though you couldn't have Ashley be the main character again). But anyway, they're two of the finest games Square ever produced and two of the most compelling narratives I've ever witnessed. Mass Effect and Bioshock think they got stories. Pbbbbt, they look simple compared to the might of Matsuno and Masato Kato

I forgo any of those choices in favor of FFVI.

Vagrant Story has been out in Europe for aeons. That said, I have FFIX. I might try VS though.

Xenogears! I missed my chance to play that when it came out and all my friends said it was great.

Come on, what about Legend of Dragoon? That game was the shit! Rerelease that one and I will go out and buy a PS3 just to play it.

As much as I love Xenogears, where's the "I'd rather play FF6" option?

Because that one was better than 7,8 or 9.

Just saying.

Still waiting for that FF7 remake.

Vagrant Story

just please, PLEASE

give the main character a regular pair of pants, stylize it as much as you want, but make it a regular pair of pants

not an ass-less pair of pants

Trust me on this one kids... You don't want to play Xenogears. It's not that it's a bad game, it's just that the second disc is made of DIGITAL TORTURE.

Honestly, I'm all for all four of them. I've played so many Final Fantasy, or Final Fantasy-related, games, I'm up for something I've never tried before.

Final Fantasy 9.
Sorry other games, I didn't get the chance to play all the non FF ones in their prime and with how dated they are now my opinion likely wouldn't do them justice. I salute them all anyways.

(Also, None of this "Better Than" BS. Personal experience such as an entire fictional world and cast can't be reduced to a right or wrong calculation, they are choices, favorites.
Not superiors.)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or