Things to Come

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Did he say "Breaking Dawn: Part One"?

you mean theres gonna be another two twilight pieces of crap!
GOD NO!!!!!

MovieBob:
But all that looks very small next to the real event of November: Jason Segel brings Jim Henson's Muppets back to theaters - and back to Muppet Show continuity -- in The Muppets. Hell yeah, Muppets.

Wow. When I was a kid, I watched the Muppet Show religiously. Fuck jesus. So I was disappointed when for the longest time the Muppet Show was only available on single disks with two episodes or so on them instead of full seasons. They had since release them in season boxed sets like everything else, so I got season one and i didn't bother getting any of the other seasons.

My god, it was horrible. What the hell happened? Was I stoned?

I'm excited to see things in the coming year! Firstly because there are some truly badass looking things coming out! Secondly because I will actually have a job and will likely be able to afford seeing things in the theater!!!

Yea as much crap as good. Though the high point has to be The Muppets coming back. Wish this was done sooner. I just hope they keep Fozzie the bear's puns. Knowing Disney they might screw up the things I like to make it more marketable to the new audience. Still good to see there is more then one movie to look forward to.

MovieBob:
Jim Carrey jumps back into the family-comedy pool as the (human) star of Mr. Popper's Penguins. It'll ... wait. I remember this book. It was cute. Hm. How did I not know they were making this into a movie? And Angela Lansbury and Carla Gugino are in it, too? Huh. Y'know what? I have nothing snarky to say about this. (Yet.) I'm looking forward to this. So there.

What a dork I am. I literally gasped when I read Angela Lansbury. We just don't see her enough. Somehow I don't think anything with her in it can be bad. That's just where I stand. Thanks for the forecast btw, very informative for a layman who doesn't keep up on release schedules.

Also your job at it's worst doesn't sound all that bad. Need a sidekick? Eh... probably not. But it was worth trying. You could just unload all the worst movies on me and I'll do my part by paying off my doctor bills.

Oww... this year is going to hurt my wallet.

I am definitely going to watch Thor and Captain America, even PoTC. Unsure about the rest though, I'll wait for the reviews for those.

Yup, I'm gonna have a good time this year.

Dayme! so many awesome movies out this year, and this is the first I have seen of your highness, thanks for the heads up!!

Sucker Punch looks like it's going to make me happy, very very happy.

I honestly don't see why people are complaining about Bird doing Mission Impossible. His live action debut is an action film starring Cruise and Renner. Come on people.

Hey MovieBob! Don't forget about "Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance" coming to select US theaters http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-12-15/evangelion-2.0-u.s-screenings-listed It's the big thing I'M looking forward to ^_^

I am definitely going to see Season of the Witch. A movie with Nicholas Cage AND Ron Perlman in it? That's fucking awesomeness squared right there.

This is the most depressing article I have ever read in my life. There is not a single title on this entire list (aside from Harry Potter to find out the ending and Twilight for the lulz) that I actually have any definite interest in seeing. The rest is all either superhero movies, remakes of better films, and sequels to movies I didn't want to see anyway. Like Happy Feet 2? Final Destination 5??

Sucker Punch looks like the only truly interesting spot in a massive sea of mediocrity.

How the hell did you miss out the Dark Crystal 2. I've been waiting for this movie for a decade and if it's even half as good as the original it's going to blow a lot of people's minds!

It looks like this is going to shape up to be a bad year where movies are concerned

MelasZepheos:
And here's some more pattern recognition. When Movie Bob does review 'Your Highness', which he will, he will say that while it may not be very good, it features Natalie Portman in a metal thong, and therefore is worth seeing only for that. He will then go into a short segue about how much he is turned on by Natalie Portman.

Man, I should become a psychic. And I think I will hold onto this comment, just so I can post it in the thread of the 'Your Highness' review and say "Look, look, I was right!"

Yeah, I'm getting kinda sick of that. He sometimes goes as far as to take up half a review talking about what actresses he finds attractive.

Being a fan of John Carpenter's The Thing, I can only ponder as to why it would need a prequel. I feel its a complete movie as it is. I mean, it quintessentially included the original 1951 film into the plot. If anything, a sequel would make more sense (not much more, mind you). Then again, there was that one bad game that continued the story into an sub-par X-Files plotline.

Wasn't there a movie produced by Speilberg and the guy who did "Cloverfield" coming out in the summer called "Super 8"? the trailer show a train being derailed by a truck and something trying to break out of one of the cars. I dunno, maybe thats next summer. I'd figure MoiveBob say something bout that.

BlueHighwind:

Sucker Punch looks like the only truly interesting spot in a massive sea of mediocrity.

What about that looks interesting?

I am just waiting to see what happens when this whole Avengers thing blows up in Marvel's face. Favreau was right in walking away from Iron-Man 3's Spider-Man 3-esque clusterfuck

great, now i have to change my birthday to be a day later so i can avoid celebrating it on the same day the biggest travesty in entertainment gets it's own movie....Fuck you Justin Beiber, Fuck you. -_-

Wedlock49:
How the hell did you miss out the Dark Crystal 2. I've been waiting for this movie for a decade and if it's even half as good as the original it's going to blow a lot of people's minds!

Wait... WHAT!?!? WHOS MAKING A NUMBER 2!?!? Dear God dont let it be all family friendly, this film scared the crap out of me as a kid and I expect my little sisters to be just as, if not more, scared.

As for the list, I really enjoyed Cars, its in my top 3 Pixar films, so im interested to see what they do with number 2.

I find myself greatly respecting James Franco for the same reasons I respected Brad Pitt 10-15 years ago. Both actors have fought their pretty boy/teen heartthrob images by attempting some really out-there roles. Not always successfully, but they really make the effort.

As for Jason Statham, he always makes the same movie, but he always tackles it with complete sincerity. He never phones it in, even the 198th time. I just can't dislike the guy. He and Jet Li were the only things in The Expendables (besides the all too brief Arnie and Bruce Willis cameos) that made it bearable.

Scream 4??? Are you frickin' kidding me??? Those movies were stupid after the first one. How the fuck are they gonna justify this? Is it gonna turn out to be the boyfriend from the first one's third cousin twice removed this time?? Sidney Prescott, now 80 years old and in a retirement home is still being pestered by her old boyfriend's relatives who like to dress up in the same dorky Halloween costume and go on a killing spree. Whooo! _

Bob Chipman:
Johnny Depp gambles that we're not sick of Jack Sparrow yet in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

That would be a very poor gamble indeed.

Bob Chipman:
another damn Final Destination movie,

Another one??? That premise wasn't good the first time.

Bob Chipman:
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Ugh. Supposedly, this one will see Tom Cruise becoming the "older mentor" in favor of a new, younger lead hero, which couldn't have been good for his ego. Or his Thetan-Levels...

Maybe not, but at least that'll make the movie somewhat bearable. ...sort of.

I can't be the only one who thinks that most of the movies outlined on this schedule can be summarized in nine words: "WHO THE F@$# THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?!"

Sequels, prequels and re-makes out the wazoo. Good actors slumming in things that will make it less likely we'll see them in good movies in the future. CGI shoveled on by the pound. C'mon, Hollywood, you need to make me care that you're destroying your industry.

oh um...a lotta potentially good stuff...but also a lotta most likely crap

=/

but wait Christophe Waltz AND Milla Jovovich? hmm might be seeing that one...

LogicNProportion:
2011 is looking damn good for movies. :)

I can't stop smiling, especially for Simon Pegg & Nick Frost's Paul. I've missed those two...

Sweet! Is it finally the third blood and ice cream, or just another thing they're doing?

Sucker Punch looks amazing. I'm curious to see if it's a success or failure, but I will definitely enjoy it either way. It's like they took everything that was ever awesome and put it all in the same movie. Cannot wait.

Can't wait for Paul, Captain America, and Thor, but everything else leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Another Pirates movie? Nah. Transformers? Pssh. Hopefully some good under-the-radar movies will pop up.

Gunnyboy:

BlueHighwind:

What about that looks interesting?

The B-52s. The Samurai robots. The dragon. The mobsters. The chicks. Its so weird I have to see it.

MelasZepheos:
And here's some more pattern recognition. When Movie Bob does review 'Your Highness', which he will, he will say that while it may not be very good, it features Natalie Portman in a metal thong, and therefore is worth seeing only for that. He will then go into a short segue about how much he is turned on by Natalie Portman.

Man, I should become a psychic. And I think I will hold onto this comment, just so I can post it in the thread of the 'Your Highness' review and say "Look, look, I was right!"

I will hold you to that, good man. I want to see your prophecy come to fruition (although not necessarily Bob's, because if he's right 2011 is going to be a year of mostly SUCK for the movie industry).

It's mostly the goddamn sequels and remakes that piss me off. Cars and Happy Feet were perfectly fine on their own, they do not need sequels. Footloose does not need a remake. And Breaking Dawn does not need more than one part (it would be easier to deal with the suckage in one installment but I suppose Harry Potter's milking strategy was just too good to pass up).

Originality: the enemy of Hollywood.

PunkRex:

Wait... WHAT!?!? WHOS MAKING A NUMBER 2!?!? Dear God dont let it be all family friendly, this film scared the crap out of me as a kid and I expect my little sisters to be just as, if not more, scared.

As for the list, I really enjoyed Cars, its in my top 3 Pixar films, so im interested to see what they do with number 2.

It's coming from Jim Henson's company again, from what I've seen in my research it's going to be live-action this time which I'm unsure about, however the story seems just as grand and on a just as epic scale as the original.

New Transformer movie...maybe it will be on par with the first? I thought the first was okay, and it's hard to mess up Shockwave...(turns back to Shockwave spotlight comic...that was epic)hmmm...(sends Michael Bay a copy of said comic for guidance). He's still supposed to be a major villain right?
Your Highness looks like a rental. Not sure I want to pay theater prices, but I'll definetly try to rent it.
Green Hornet might be the same way, but I'll probably still see it in theaters if the reviews are decent.
Does anyone have the faintest idea of what Sanctum is? Besides having divers?
And then Captain America, Thor, and Green Lantern. Two of those will most likely be awesome. The third is a solid maybe...
Looks at third page...
Oh dear god. Yet another movie that will lead gullible people to say "Oh noes...Everyone in the south is a backwards redneck who can't form logical sentences and loves the confederacy *GASP* (not sarcastically, for air) and wants all democrats to die and forms lynch mobs and everyone is a racist and everyone is evil! OH NO!
Seriously, the only time this has worked was that family guy episode. They go to the south, made a bunch of jokes based off of stereotypes, but gave the people redeeming qualities at the end. It's extremely bad when the best case of stereotyping the south (from my experience) is Family Guy.
Yeah, that film isn't looking to push any buttons. Ugh..won't be able to say the region I live in/political stance for another year after this comes out.
Hmm? You said there's a Bieber movie, a new Twilight film, Big Momma, and a Smurfs movie? I don't recall reading that. You must be delusional.

January: I will see The Mechanic, and I will probably hate it.
February: I highly doubt that I'll enjoy this Unknown more than I did the 2005 movie with the same title.
March: I can't decide which movie I'm more excited for, Sucker Punch or Paul.
April: I still cannot get over that title. I'll see it, I'll hate it, I'll forget it, in that order.
May: This is the first I've heard of Priest. I doubt I'll like it unless they go full camp and ramp up the goofiness.
June: I have been looking forward to First Class since I first read about it on IMDB not long after I saw X-Men 3.
July: Why did it take so long before someone thought to mag a big budget showdown between aliens and cowboys?
August: Fright Night is getting a remake? Good. That'll give me incentive to watch the original, a movie I've owned for about 9 months.
September: The original Straw Dogs is a movie I really want to see. Now I suddenly have a deadline to see it...
October: Well, I do love Paul W.S. Anderson more than the average bloke, so I'll give this a shot.
November: I hated Happy Feet. There's a decent chance I won't see it's sequel.
December: So far the odd-numbered Mission Impossible movies have been the good ones. Will this even-numbered M:I buck the trend?

Coincidentally, I was 12 years old for two days in 2001[1]. At the time I didn't know who Vin Diesel was and I was more a fan of the 'Taker and The Big Show in the WWF.

[1] for those of you who aren't good at math and don't know the Gregorian calendar, this means my 23rd birthday is tomorrow.

Hadn't heard Favreau walked from Iron-Man 3 yet. Good for him. You could see the Marvel vs Director struggle in IM2, what with all the shoe horning. They kept that one afloat in the end, I don't see it holding up in another installment though. Stark should do his thing in the Avengers and then let Iron-Man rest for a while. Yeah, right, fat chance... Marvel is taking the same approach with its movies as it did with its comics. It'll all come crashing down soon and then they'll have to reboot the lot.

Please prove me wrong.

Your Highness = Zooey and Natalie in a Tenth Kingdom-esque thing? What the? Why haven't I heard of this yet? Why isn't Kiera Knightley in this as well so they can complete my fave actress trifecta? Ditch the guys while you're at it. Who needs them? Then add Kate Beckinsale while you're at it. I can also see this movie failing horribly. Like Rutger Hauer's sad appearance in the above mentioned film.

Fast Five is hilarity on wheels. Its irony hopped up on dope with a hula hoop. And a load of guys who'll make this a profitable movie will entirely miss this aspect and create an entirely surreal mini-universe at each showing.

August's line-up made me laugh out loud. Dear me, does that month always get saddled with the stuff they've got left over after the real blockbusters opened in July? It reads like the list of worst stuff of the year all balled up into one month so you can just skip visiting the cinema then entirely and be done with it.

The Three Musketiers with Orlando Bloom? That's basically a remake of the Disney version then. And they'll never beat that one. "Rochefort? Isn't that a smelly kind of cheese?" "All for one and more for me!"

Might see:
Pirates of the Carribean 4 (hey Kiera!)
Your highness
Sucker Punch
Men Who Hate Women (I really don't like the title Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Blomkvist is your main character and Salander is his Kato to Green Hornet style uber-sidekick, it's only in the second movie/book that Salander takes the main stage, not in the first, it changes your perspective on the movie even if you know nothing about it... Blah. Whatever.)

Definately will see:
All the super-hero stuff and Harry Potter.

I dont know who pointed it out before
but there was a question posted in the escapist about the most used tropes that you were tired of, and one guy said "Orange and Tan"

and that... well... after seing all the preview clips Bob posted, i am fairly certain that he is right...

damn...

anyway, back on topic, i loved the stuff going on the super hero scene, and Muppets can never be bad, looking forward for this year hits.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here