Things to Come

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Chronamut:
The main movie I'm interested in is the english version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, they can work on fixing any of the criticisms the Swedish version got (which I heard it was a great movie) and make it even better.

Be honest. You fully understand that they will take any of the northern charm and originality of the original films (1 and 3 are excellent, 2 is average) and turn it into a typical love story between two actors who don't know why they're involved.

That reminds me I've never seen the US Taxi with Queen Latifah. Oh well, good for me.

Proverbial Jon:

Chronamut:
The main movie I'm interested in is the english version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, they can work on fixing any of the criticisms the Swedish version got (which I heard it was a great movie) and make it even better.

Argh, nooo! This is the last story I ever want to see being made by Americans anyone other than the Swedish!

I'm not just saying this to be a raging fanboy, nor am I a pretentious douche trying to appear cultured simply because he watched a film with subtitles. If you have ever watched anything made by Yellow Bird (The company responsible for the Swedish films), you would never want to watch anything in English again. There's just something so real about Swedish TV/Film that makes Hollywood pale in comparison.

Besides, there is something altogether different about Swedish crime dramas, they're almost a genre of their own. If anyone has ever watched Yellow Bird's Wallander movies (They were made for TV but they call them movies over there) and then compared them to Britain's BBC versions... they just somehow miss the mark... and I LOVE the BBC!

I know, I think they announced the remakes before the second movie was released. I guess they really need the work in California, because there's no way the vibe or actors will be as good as the originals. Cinema fail of the century, and it's just 2011.

david fincher directing an adaptation of the girl with the dragon tatoo, yes please

Well it looks like a few good ones interspersed with shit, like all years.
Also I'm a hella glad Paul comes out in the UK in Feb, Valentines day to be precise.

Pretty sure the Portman/Kutcher movie is called "No Strings Attached".

you do realise that most of us were about 12 or so in the year 2001. And have not really grown up more since thn

I'll admit my curiousity was piqued when you mentioned a Fright Night re-make. But I'm hoping to all things holy that...

1.) Michael Bay and Robert Pattinson will be kept away from the film at all times.
2.) They keep the film's setting firmly in the 80's - because the script doesn't translate well into a post 9/11 setting. (IIRC) Let's learn from the Nightmare on Elm Street debacle.
3.) Do not make it darker and gritter or lighter and fluffier as it was.

I guess what I'm ultimately trying to say is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Sean.Devlin:

Chronamut:

Be honest. You fully understand that they will take any of the northern charm and originality of the original films (1 and 3 are excellent, 2 is average) and turn it into a typical love story between two actors who don't know why they're involved.

That reminds me I've never seen the US Taxi with Queen Latifah. Oh well, good for me.

Charm? The movies are dull and without a bit of emotion. Lisbeth is one feminist caricature and the story is incredibly weak. I really wished Fincher was doing something else than this dreck. BTW when the hell has Fincher done a typical love story? And one involving serial killers? You serious?

The original film turned me off from this movie it was so bad. Zallian is adapting straight from the book though and not the first film.

Thor, Captain america, all the big geek cinema this year. Oh, and that little picture called "The Avengers".

I still don't get what's up with Red Riding Hood

really, I don't

all I've seen is that they made the wolf into a werewolf, and that Red Riding Hood is in love of some guy, who I'm willing to bet $50 that he's the wolf boy

Thanks for the list of movies, I remember hearing about some of them, but others are new to me. I'll check out as much of them as I can.

I'm super pumped about the Cap movie. The leader of the Avengers finally gets on the big screen? Count me in.

Also, Sucker Punch looks good!

I think Beastly may be surprisingly good. It a beauty and the beasty story retold and if done correctly, I think it could be one of the better movies of the year.

I think there's a few more movies that Bob didn't mention that could be good, but my memory's shot right now.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here