Escape to the Movies: True Grit

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

MattKirby:
I wonder if he was contacted by Michael Bay or his producers/managers, it just seems peculiar that he just now issues an apology >.>

Oh, I doubt it. I think the apology is yet another dig at Expendables. He got a lot of flack for his comments about Transformers and then he got a lot of flack for his comments about The Expendables. By making a big, showy apology about Transformers, it's a passive-aggressive way of highlighting what he said about people who made/saw/enjoyed the Expendables instead of his pet movie, Scott Pilgrim.

Yet at what end of the Coen-spectrum does True Grit lie?

Does it lean more towards Fargo and No Country For Old Men, or towards The Big Lebowski and Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

OFF: OMG, that's my hometown at 0:44! Yay~!

MattKirby:
I wonder if he was contacted by Michael Bay or his producers/managers, it just seems peculiar that he just now issues an apology >.>

I bet Michael Bay was swimming in his pool of money and thought to himself, "You know what? I don't like what that chubby guy from Massachusetts said about me on the internet. I think I'll waste lots of money paying someone to get in touch with him so that he can give me an apology."

No, I think Bob is finally just seeing that we enjoy his reviewing much better than we like him going off on opinionated rants.

I think it is very cool for Bob to apologize. It makes me respect him much more as a critic :-)

Nothing wrong with it especially because it originated as a novel. He may have been a fantastic actor but personally I see that as all the more reason for people wanting to do revamps of movies he has done. It should be seen as a challenge attempting to one up that and I give credit to anyone willing to take on that challenge.

Saw it... Loved it!
I suggest everyone else does too.

ScottLillie:
Fuck Michael Bay.

QFT

His attitude is how you know he's a douche bag, not just his movies... I still remember when he was talking about Optimus having flames. "Why are there flames on Optimus Prime? Because I wanted flames. Why do you but a green house or a yellow house. I wanted flames on Optimus Prime."

xD Bob, I love you. Who cares if you insulted a man who is swimming in a pool of cash? Does it really matter? Because of your comment do you really think he is going to think back upon his movie career and see how much he sucked, thus canceling any future projects?

Nice mature apology though my friend. It's your show, don't worry about all these people who keep watching it yet complain about the content. They don't enjoy it well they don't have to click that little "play" button now do they?

Can't wait till the next show!

Wow, I never thought Bob would apologize about Michael Bay. That's kind of surreal.

How about SkyLine?
That was one of the absolute worst films I have ever seen.

I thought it was an amazing movie. The Coen Brothers don't make a habit of turning out bad work.

it took you a year to say that? *watches credits* oh thats why

My sister's boyfriend saw it and didn't like it. So I might pass on this, or at least rent it when it's on DVD.

I never thought I'd see the day where you would actually take back calling Michael Bay a douchebag.

EBHughsThe1st:
How about SkyLine?
That was one of the absolute worst films I have ever seen.

Wow... you're right... How weird. Oo

bojac6:

MattKirby:

Oh, I doubt it. I think the apology is yet another dig at Expendables. He got a lot of flack for his comments about Transformers and then he got a lot of flack for his comments about The Expendables. By making a big, showy apology about Transformers, it's a passive-aggressive way of highlighting what he said about people who made/saw/enjoyed the Expendables instead of his pet movie, Scott Pilgrim.

You mean "the better movie, Scott Pilgrim"? *ho-ho-ho*

I saw this movie last week and I loved it! The girl was a very good actress, the whole cast was good too.

AwesomeExpress:

MovieBob:
True Grit

This week, Bob saddles up for True Grit.

Watch Video

I'm definitely going to see True Grit, I have always enjoyed the Coen brothers' movies! BUT, are you saying that everyone who enjoys a Mike Bay film is a douchebag? That anyone who is not a douchebag could not possibly enjoy a Michael Bay film and that only douchebags enjoy Michael Bay films?

Yeah, that doesn't really sit with me well either.

I mean, I genuinely think both Bad Boys movie are alright and I believe The Rock (which he didn't mention amidst the "quote-unquote good movies") is a masterpiece.

And I'm pretty sure other, probably more reasonable people can enjoy some Michael Bay flicks.

So, yeah, apologised to one person but stereotyped a whole bunch of other people.

Good to see the movie in question is good, though.

so he apoligized to micheal bay the guy who's personality spawned the transformer movies, the guy he had at least some reason to think was a douche, before he apoligized to the transformers fans who he GENERALIZED as douchebags without context
given the films' success thats millions of people he called douchebags and didnt apoligize for

other than that though it was a pretty fun review

JourneyThroughHell:

AwesomeExpress:

MovieBob:
True Grit

This week, Bob saddles up for True Grit.

Watch Video

I'm definitely going to see True Grit, I have always enjoyed the Coen brothers' movies! BUT, are you saying that everyone who enjoys a Mike Bay film is a douchebag? That anyone who is not a douchebag could not possibly enjoy a Michael Bay film and that only douchebags enjoy Michael Bay films?

I mean, I genuinely think both Bad Boys movie are alright and I believe The Rock (which he didn't mention amidst the "quote-unquote good movies") is a masterpiece.

And I'm pretty sure other, probably more reasonable people can enjoy some Michael Bay flicks.

So, yeah, apologised to one person but stereotyped a whole bunch of other people.

Exactly! He apologises to the person making the movie because of a jump to conclusions, but then makes the same jump with the people who watch the movies! That grinds my gears!

No top ten best films of the year?

By the a remark he made while he reviewed Inception, I thought Toy Story 3 would be the best.

So if Matt Damon's character is named LaBoeuf, does that mean he runs around the whole film just going: "nononononoNONONONONONOnonononono...." ?

And yes, the absence of Inception from your list is appalling.

I just saw True Grit and quite enjoyed it. There are bits of humor but it does fall more towards the 'No Country For Old Men' end of their spectrum. Jeff Bridges was great, and I have to say that I was very impressed with the girl who, for someone that young, took on a very demanding role. I say go see it, but your mileage may vary.

About Michael Bay; I actually heard that he is a fairly cool guy. He actually openly admits that his movies sort of suck. He was quoted as saying, "Even my fans tell me 'We love you Michael Bay, but you still suck.'" and "What? I make movies for 15 year-old boys. Is that a crime?" Basically, if you want to make a stupid movie that revolves mostly around shit blowing up, then Michael Bay is your go-to guy (or Roland Emmerich if you want a slightly less stupid one). So, say what you want about the man, at least he has no pretenses about what he does.

Yeah, and I also think Inception should have made the list.

TheMann:

About Michael Bay; I actually heard that he is a fairly cool guy. He actually openly admits that his movies sort of suck. He was quoted as saying, "Even my fans tell me 'We love you Michael Bay, but you still suck.'" and "What? I make movies for 15 year-old boys. Is that a crime?" Basically, if you want to make a stupid movie that revolves mostly around shit blowing up, then Michael Bay is your go-to guy (or Roland Emmerich if you want a slightly less stupid one). So, say what you want about the man, at least he has no pretenses about what he does.

I would just like to post this very commercial here as an example of Michael Bay admitting the extent of his cinematic meaningfulness.

Pugiron:
Scott Pilgrim still was much less fun than you pretend. It was about Hipsters. hipsters never have fun, ever.

Somewhere in the world, a hipster is Having Fun every 3.2 seconds. And in two-thirds of those instances they are Totally Having More Fun Than You*. Truefax.

(* Also, while I'm certainly not outright saying that a red-blooded male of 35 or under who doesn't like Scott Pilgrim is probably gay**, I did just totally bring that up for reasons that will remain unspecified.)

(** Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Been wanting to check out True Grit, definitely. In the meantime, who is the chick who Bob identifies as "the hottest thing on two legs"?

BobDobolina:

Pugiron:
Scott Pilgrim still was much less fun than you pretend. It was about Hipsters. hipsters never have fun, ever.

Somewhere in the world, a hipster is Having Fun every 3.2 seconds. And in two-thirds of those instances they are Totally Having More Fun Than You*. Truefax.

(* Also, while I'm certainly not outright saying that a red-blooded male of 35 or under who doesn't like Scott Pilgrim is probably gay**, I did just totally bring that up for reasons that will remain unspecified.)

(** Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Been wanting to check out True Grit, definitely. In the meantime, who is the chick who Bob identifies as "the hottest thing on two legs"?

Ah a Hipster tries to seem intelligent and clever, and fails, like all hipsters. homophobia and stupidity, always go hand in hand.

Mattteus:
Whoa, wait... does that mean Michael Bey is from Boston too?! *looks it up* oh, relatives by marriage.
It's New Year's Eve! time for all Bostonians to put on The Dismemberment Plan's song The Ice of Boston and get drunk and loud!

We're aware of the post Xmas snow.

Melancholy_Ocelot:
Why back-peddle with the Bay comment? As far as I'm concerned you can say whatever the fuck you want on your own show.

Don't worry about "integrity," you're just fine. Someone needs to speak up for us. 7/10 is a bad review these days and you seem to be the only one who will lay out a 2/10 when it's deserved.

Besides, Bay threw integrity out the window in 98.

Haha, I thought those exact same first three words when I watched this. While I like Movie Bob, he is starting to conform in order to become a bigger/more legit reviewer. This isn't good. I understand why, but he'll eventually lose his edge and that will take away from him being so good. I feel that he's always been a good technical reviewer, but it's his ability to "call a spade a spade" is what differentiates him from the rest and make him great.

BobDobolina:

Scarlett Johansson

Pugiron:
Ah a Hipster tries to seem intelligent and clever, and fails, like all hipsters.

I never claimed to be one, just that they have more fun than you*. Judging by your apparent total absence of a sense of humor, I guess that was a palpable hit.

(* Even when their fathers are molesting them, I suppose. Hipsters also have way better-looking dads than you do, amirite? No need to answer that; of course I am!)

AwesomeExpress:

JourneyThroughHell:

AwesomeExpress:

Exactly! He apologises to the person making the movie because of a jump to conclusions, but then makes the same jump with the people who watch the movies! That grinds my gears!

But its still ok to call the fans and makers of Expendables idiots.

BobDobolina:

Pugiron:
Ah a Hipster tries to seem intelligent and clever, and fails, like all hipsters.

I never claimed to be one, just that they have more fun than you*. Judging by your apparent total absence of a sense of humor, I guess that was a palpable hit.

(* Even when their fathers are molesting them, I suppose. Hipsters also have way better-looking dads than you do, amirite? No need to answer that; of course I am!)

You're someone calling someone else gay for not liking the movie you like. Ah, now I know Movie Bob's "secret" forum name.

PeePantz:
Scarlett Johansson

Thanks. Huh, that shot didn't look like her.

AwesomeExpress:
He apologises to the person making the movie because of a jump to conclusions, but then makes the same jump with the people who watch the movies! That grinds my gears!

You know what really grinds my gears? Lindsay Lohan. "Tell me what you want!"

Pugiron:
You're someone calling someone else gay for not liking the movie you like.

But I was doing it ironically. You wouldn't understand, it's a hipster thing. Rest assured I had way more fun in making the joke than you did in misinterpreting it.

Ah, now I know Movie Bob's "secret" forum name.

Oh, but this is good. Let's get this rumor going, I like it!

Bob, your 2010 review list is spot on.

Jabberwock xeno:
Bob, your 2010 review list is spot on.

Why, thank you.

How was Scott Pilgrim, a fairly decent tongue in cheek coming of age story, considered better than Black Swan? Have you even seen that film? It was incredible.

OT: I really liked True Grit, an all around well acted, well scripted, and well directed western.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here