The 2010 List of Awesome

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The 2010 List of Awesome

The title says it all, really.

Read Full Article

The two MMO's you mention, Old Republic and DCUO, are both coming from Sony, which has not has a genuine hit since the orriginal EverQuest. I have played DCUO's beta and hated it. All the combo button mashing of the old fighting games, less customization than CoH or CO, unskippable tutorials, I did not like any aspect of this game. Old Republic would look promising, but like many Star Wars fans, tthe chance of piloting a space ship was always a big draw. Now they have reduced it to a rail shooter in space as their only touch of space content. A huge dissapointment for many of us. I hope they both get Star Wars Galaxies style complete overhauls, but I won't be playign either until they do.

DC universe? Old Republic? I feel you may have left out a certain Areanet venture. I know it isn't confirmed for 2011 but it sure as hell looks interesting enough to merit a mention. Its one of the only games where I have checked up the dev blog every now and then to learn how the progress is going. The only other game I have done that with is at the top of your list.

Pugiron:
The two MMO's you mention, Old Republic and DCUO, are both coming from Sony,

The Old Republic is by Bioware, and therefore EA, surely?

Pugiron:
The two MMO's you mention, Old Republic and DCUO, are both coming from Sony, which has not has a genuine hit since the orriginal EverQuest. I have played DCUO's beta and hated it. All the combo button mashing of the old fighting games, less customization than CoH or CO, unskippable tutorials, I did not like any aspect of this game. Old Republic would look promising, but like many Star Wars fans, tthe chance of piloting a space ship was always a big draw. Now they have reduced it to a rail shooter in space as their only touch of space content. A huge dissapointment for many of us. I hope they both get Star Wars Galaxies style complete overhauls, but I won't be playign either until they do.

Sony isn't even touching The Old Republic. The Old Republic is between Bioware&EA and LucasArts. SOE isn't coming close to The Old Republic and let's hope that it stays that way, to be honest. I cannot speak for DCUO, though.

OT: Very good list. I should've picked up Minecraft and Civ5, but really... I don't hate myself. What I mean by that is that they're great games, and that's the problem. I'd lose so much time!

The horizon looks to be good, though, eh?

Hmm sorry there was mentionof it on Sony's Station website so I assumed they were associated.

Pugiron:
Hmm sorry there was mentionof it on Sony's Station website so I assumed they were associated.

That's quite alright. It happens.

It feels like this was an in-between year, and that the really big titles are still on the way: Duke Nukem Forever, Portal 2, Half Life 2 Episode 3

I like your optimism.

I'm surprised it took 6 posts for someone to make a comment about the Half-Life 2 EP 3 thing.

Good list, overall, though. If I had any money at all I would own most all of the things on your top 5.

I'm most excited about Duke Nukem Forever :D

I really hope it recaptures the over the top macho absurdity of Duke Nukem games.

2010 was average, aye - except for PC, where it was one of the best years on record (Largely because of the strategy genre and Minecraft).

2011, meanwhile, is looking stellar. A new console that actually has a reason for existing (and having a separate game base from the other consoles); a plethora of new, exciting entries in existing franchises (Skyrim! Uncharted 3 (not on PC, but still...)! Guild Wars 2! Portal 2! Mass Effect 3! Dragon Age 2! No currently-announced Call of Duty game!); the ever-burgeoning Indie games army; and Minecraft. Plus, with any luck Rockstar will finally port Red Dead Redemption to PC, and we can join in on the fun without shelling out $300.

Silly person, HLEp3 won't come out next year. I'm still suspicious about Portal 2.

Ne1butme:
Silly person, HLEp3 won't come out next year. I'm still suspicious about Portal 2.

AS PART OF A REQUIRED DEVELOPMENT PROTOCOL, VALVE WILL STOP DELAYING THE GAME IN THREE, TWO, ON-$##%@$&^%%^#@%&&*@%#&^&$^&#.

I almost feel as if putting Portal 2, Half Life Ep. 3, and Duke Nukem together as next year's hopefuls is kind of tempting fate little bit too much. Well, we'll see. But yeah, this year has been pretty amazing, mostly for me because it was the year in which I discoverred WoW. Well, started playing it anyways...
We should also commemorate a year of amazing posting and blogging by Mr. Young here. F***ing fantastic job, good sir. Cheers!

It's been an awesome year for Mac users due to expanded support from Valve. In addition, the OnLive service has brought several high-end titles that otherwise would have only been for Windows or XBox.

Personally, I would add the Planetside sequel announcement and AssCreedBroHood to that list.

I would have put Starcraft II on the list.

Personally, I'd have put Mount & Blade: Warband on the list, but I can get why you didn't, not a lot of people have heard of this awesome game.

Shamus you say HL ep. 3 but all I hear is HAHAHA I'M TAUNTING YOU WITH IMAGINARY AWESOME GAMES.

Jerk.

Happy new years! Yay!

Amnesia is a very good game indeed. It focuses on immersion like no other. As for Fallout NV gamebreaking bugs can't be forgiven. It's like monkey shit. It once was bananas, and there's something left of them in it, but would you eat monkey shit? Would you, Shamus?

The best thing about Cataclysm is that they made the game hard again. Personally, I think their new ideas on the leveling process can go die in a fire. Way, WAY too many gimicky vehicle quests and unskippable cutscenes. I play the game to play my characters, not to watch Blizzard play my characters.

There are many great games (hopefuly) coming in 2011.

I'm pretty excited for Brink as it's being developed by Splash Damage, the developers of my favorite 100% free FPS multiplayer goodness, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and yes, I know they made Quake Wars, but it wasn't that bad... at least the PC version wasn't.

Also, I'm pretty excited about Guild Wars 2 and everyone knows why (see the infamous manifesto).

And let's not forget the wave of amazing rpg's coming next year, like Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2, The Witcher 2, Skyrim(!) and Deus Ex Human Revolution (I refuse to call it a fps).

Also, let's hope Minecraft reaches gold status and make it on every single list of Best Game of 2011.

Also... finally... Duke Nukem Forever will grace my hdd. I can't wait to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of gum.

Good list and I'm certaintly looking forward to the awesome games coming out next year. If anything 2011 could be Biowares year. Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, The Old republic all in the same year? Geez that's insane.

HL2e3, Duke Nukem Forever, and Portal 2 all coming out next year. Wow, that was definitely one of the best laughs I've had in 2010.

Lord_Gremlin:
Amnesia is a very good game indeed. It focuses on immersion like no other. As for Fallout NV gamebreaking bugs can't be forgiven. It's like monkey shit. It once was bananas, and there's something left of them in it, but would you eat monkey shit? Would you, Shamus?

Depends. Were they good banannas, and was I starving for that particular flavor of shit?
...That's a surprisingly good analogy you've got going there.

Lots of stuff to look forward to in '11, but Arkham City is at the top of my list.

... uh. Sim City 2000 to Civilization?

Shamus Young:
4. Duke Nukem Forever

Last year I celebrated the fact that Duke Nukem Forever had finally been canceled and we could stop talking about it. Then they un-canceled it. But it's still not out. I'm not really happy that we're still waiting, but I have to give points to the developers for extending a joke that had already gone too far five years ago.

I'm putting it on my list this year. I hope to have it on my list next year after having played and enjoyed it. And then I hope we can stop talking about it.

Ah, but then the wait for the inevitable sequel begins doesn't it? Hehehe...

6. Fallout: New Vegas

It was a mess of bugs, but if you can forgive those then it's a rare jewel of sandbox gaming. It's superior to Fallout 3 in just about every way possible. Interesting world. Good characters. Fun quests. They managed to get some color into the game, despite the desert setting.

I've been saying this for a while now, It's nice to see professionals say it. All in all a pretty good list, a lot like my own, with the exception of Mass Effect 2.

Heraklitus:
I would have put Starcraft II on the list.

This.

This game spent well over half a decade in development and was highly anticipated by just about anyone who played the first Starcraft. It may not have lived up to every expectation but it met most of them with gusto. Definitely deserves a spot.

well besides fallout new vegas (which i HIGHLY agree with it improving on everything that 3 did) i didn't have any of those games on my list to buy/play this year, however i have seen them and can say they are all great games in there own ways. so to each their own.

this next year though..my goodness. i am truly excited to see how this is going to pan out, i'm easily going to be dropping a good 400-500 on games alone this next year on titles i know off the top of my head, let alone ones that i might pick up randomly off of steams crack deals..

Amnesia was great, it deserved its spot on that list.

i have to agree. 2010 was a bit of a weak year as far as games go. or at least in recent memory. yeah we had halo reach, which in my account flawlessly ended bungies 10 year fragfest, and also black ops (while having a suck ass singleplayer campaign, and not having much new in multiplayer). but im looking at next year and i have a feeling that the VGA's for next year are going to be some EXTREMELY tough choices. we've already got dead space 2, duke nukem, mass effect 3, portal 2, dragon age 2, bulletstorm, marvel vs capcom 3, and (despite many cries of ruining the franchise) Devil May Cry 5, which no matter what anyone says im still looking forward to and will more than likely enjoy as long as dante doesn't lose his trademark fighting style (bring on the hate, fanboys)

Edit: I'm also hoping really hard that Hideo Kojima gets off his ass and actually gets Metal Gear Solid: Rising out before the end of 2011. i freaking love the MGS series and Raiden as a character, and i think its about time that he got his own game

so here's hoping to a great year. ^.^

Half Life 2 Episode 3?
wait wut did I miss something

well at least DNF was actually confirmed (ish...we'll see) and is coming haha...maybe

I disagree on New Vegas being better than Fallout 3. Fallout 3 had more of a wasteland like feel without landmarks every 3 feet. Marauder's Cabin. Fishing Shack. Broken down tent. The landmarks in 3 were further apart and more memorable, and the unmarked places were also more interesting. With Vegas if you get all the landmarks you've seen just about everything. The characters - up to interpretation. Quests -- I don't recall any groundbreaking ones but then Fallout 3 was the same.

Still need to play Minecraft though. Looks great.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here