The 2010 List of Awesome

Pages PREV 1 2

Mass Effect 2. Except this pinnacle of gaming, this was a bad year:
-Polish president, his wife and whole military command has been killed in plane crash
-Biggest ever flood has destroyed huge part of Poland
-BP leak
-Haiti earthquake
-Iceland volcano

Thankfully our new 2011 years seems to be much better from gaming perspective:
-Portal 2
-Duke Nukem Forever
-Crysis 2
-Guild Wars 2
-Witcher 2
-Mass Effect 3
-EP3, please, Gabe!

Really Shamus, you should try Dwarf Fortress. It's Minecraft with ASCII graphics and you control a bunch of little dwarves trying to set up a colony. I'm bad at describing it, so here is a link

darthricardo:

We should also commemorate a year of amazing posting and blogging by Mr. Young here. F***ing fantastic job, good sir. Cheers!

Thanks a bunch. Happy New Year.

RobfromtheGulag:
I disagree on New Vegas being better than Fallout 3. Fallout 3 had more of a wasteland like feel without landmarks every 3 feet. Marauder's Cabin. Fishing Shack. Broken down tent. The landmarks in 3 were further apart and more memorable, and the unmarked places were also more interesting. With Vegas if you get all the landmarks you've seen just about everything. The characters - up to interpretation. Quests -- I don't recall any groundbreaking ones but then Fallout 3 was the same.

Still need to play Minecraft though. Looks great.

I agree totally with the Fallout point, I've only reached level 15 and I'm utterly bored but I kept going back to Fallout 3 and bought it for PC and Xbox. It feels very bland and almost chore like to me.

On topic, pretty good list I definitely agree with Minecraft being number one, it really is a beautiful thing. I haven't had a 14 hour binge on a game for along time and that really inspired me to love gaming as much as I always have, which has waned recently.

And 2011 MMO wise I think you missed a trick, GuildWars 2 is looking very promising.

Cataclysm still has many noticeable bugs, it should have had a bit more polish. Still, a sound list.

Same comment as Insanelich made @ 28: We were talking about Civ, and not Sim, right?

Pugiron:
The two MMO's you mention, Old Republic and DCUO, are both coming from Sony, which has not has a genuine hit since the orriginal EverQuest. I have played DCUO's beta and hated it. All the combo button mashing of the old fighting games, less customization than CoH or CO, unskippable tutorials, I did not like any aspect of this game. Old Republic would look promising, but like many Star Wars fans, tthe chance of piloting a space ship was always a big draw. Now they have reduced it to a rail shooter in space as their only touch of space content. A huge dissapointment for many of us. I hope they both get Star Wars Galaxies style complete overhauls, but I won't be playign either until they do.

TOR is EA, LucasArts and BioWare - nothing to do with Sony.

(Is this why everyone brings up the totally unrelated SW: Galaxies and how it failed in TOR threads?)

OT: Still need to try Amnesia.

And by try, I mean stare out on Steam's front page until I get the balls to even buy the damn thing.

After seeing that guy nearly piss himself on Youtube (and the PCG review in which the reviewer said he was practically crying - and that seemed like a half-joke at best!) I can't bring myself to even try.

HL2EP3 contains the word "Help".....

Ghengis John:

6. Fallout: New Vegas

It was a mess of bugs, but if you can forgive those then it's a rare jewel of sandbox gaming. It's superior to Fallout 3 in just about every way possible. Interesting world. Good characters. Fun quests. They managed to get some color into the game, despite the desert setting.

I've been saying this for a while now, It's nice to see professionals say it. All in all a pretty good list, a lot like my own, with the exception of Mass Effect 2.

It's also nice to see the "professional" who lynched New Vegas eating crow.

Woodsey:

Pugiron:
The two MMO's you mention, Old Republic and DCUO, are both coming from Sony, which has not has a genuine hit since the orriginal EverQuest. I have played DCUO's beta and hated it. All the combo button mashing of the old fighting games, less customization than CoH or CO, unskippable tutorials, I did not like any aspect of this game. Old Republic would look promising, but like many Star Wars fans, tthe chance of piloting a space ship was always a big draw. Now they have reduced it to a rail shooter in space as their only touch of space content. A huge dissapointment for many of us. I hope they both get Star Wars Galaxies style complete overhauls, but I won't be playign either until they do.

(Is this why everyone brings up the totally unrelated SW: Galaxies and how it failed in TOR threads?)

And by try, I mean stare out on Steam's front page until I get the balls to even buy the damn thing.

After seeing that guy nearly piss himself on Youtube (and the PCG review in which the reviewer said he was practically crying - and that seemed like a half-joke at best!) I can't bring myself to even try.

Already acknowledged that mistake, but I don't care if it was made by God, making space nothing but a rail shooter ruins half the essence of what Star Wars is about. Would anyone want to play a Star Trek game set only on the ground? Without space piloting, its just WoW with blasters.

Pugiron:

Woodsey:

Pugiron:

Already acknowledged that mistake, but I don't care if it was made by God, making space nothing but a rail shooter ruins half the essence of what Star Wars is about. Would anyone want to play a Star Trek game set only on the ground? Without space piloting, its just WoW with blasters.

Eh?

Almost all of the space-y bits in Star Wars are in battles (or right before or after) - and I'm pretty sure you're allowed to roam a bit during the battles anyway, they don't just point you straight at your targets.

JEBWrench:

Ghengis John:

6. Fallout: New Vegas

It was a mess of bugs, but if you can forgive those then it's a rare jewel of sandbox gaming. It's superior to Fallout 3 in just about every way possible. Interesting world. Good characters. Fun quests. They managed to get some color into the game, despite the desert setting.

I've been saying this for a while now, It's nice to see professionals say it. All in all a pretty good list, a lot like my own, with the exception of Mass Effect 2.

It's also nice to see the "professional" who lynched New Vegas eating crow.

I had forgotten that. But to be fair, I responded negatively to his criticisms at the time and then had to restart the game 4 times. Once I'd realized I screwed up my character build and survival wasn't all I thought it was, once because I'd picked Wild Wasteland and I was going energy weapons which turned out to not be a good combination, and twice because of bugs.

I still have a few feathers stuck between my teeth myself.

vxicepickxv:
HL2e3, Duke Nukem Forever, and Portal 2 all coming out next year. Wow, that was definitely one of the best laughs I've had in 2010.

Seconded

Really enjoy reading this fellas articles. Though I have to fully disagree, all bugs aside, Fallout 3 in my opinion is far better than New Vegas, Screw you Obsidian! Knights of the old republic, now this!

Geminel:

Heraklitus:
I would have put Starcraft II on the list.

This.

This game spent well over half a decade in development and was highly anticipated by just about anyone who played the first Starcraft. It may not have lived up to every expectation but it met most of them with gusto. Definitely deserves a spot.

Never going to happen. It may be good, but no game with that level of DRM is ever going to get a nod from Shamus.

I'd have said 2010 was a dismal year for gaming.
GT5 was a complete let down and seems that they've been wasting at least 3 of the 5 years it's spent being made.
Cataclysm just shows that Skinner box gaming is the way forward if you like $$$.
Fallout NV was bugged & boring as sin. Pumped 40 hours into it without even completing most of the missions which sounds good until you realise the rest of the game will be the same - load up with minigun ammo, wash, rinse, repeat. Level cap was far, far too low. Considering MW was a far better RPG, FO:NV was a step in all the wrong directions.
Black Ops helped to show that label means more than quality. MoH (One of the best games of 2010) was better in every way yet not nearly the same sales.
Starcraft 2, like Black Ops, helped to show that devout fan base is more important than quality as that managed to piss away ten years of innovation. On the RTS note Settlers 7 went to show how you can take a good formula, ignore it and make a crap game.
Minecraft....Really can't see the point. Why not make something in Blender or Garry's Mod? What's the point in a completely stationary structure?
Other than MoH I'd have said the other two best games were Mass Effect 2 (total improvement on the 1st which was already a great game) & Metro 2033 as it showed graphics weren't plateauing meaning immersion will only get better.

RobfromtheGulag:
I disagree on New Vegas being better than Fallout 3. Fallout 3 had more of a wasteland like feel without landmarks every 3 feet. Marauder's Cabin. Fishing Shack. Broken down tent. The landmarks in 3 were further apart and more memorable, and the unmarked places were also more interesting. With Vegas if you get all the landmarks you've seen just about everything. The characters - up to interpretation. Quests -- I don't recall any groundbreaking ones but then Fallout 3 was the same.

I agree. To me New Vegas felt like it took the sandbox out of Fallout 3 - if you went off the beaten path you tended to find, as Yahtzee described them "cosmic anvils from on high". And honestly, once you remove the sandbox from FO3, you're not really left with that much of a game. I felt it was a pretty weak offering.

I heard Blizzard might release Diablo 3 in 2011 (late) as well. If thats true.....well I will die happily once I have played that game. With birds and fishes falling out of the sky, natural disasters happening all over etc......the end might be near.

But if I get to play D3 first.....I won't care.

I just wanted to say that my Neuroanatomy exam yesterday asked what anterograde amnesia was and I got it right thanks to seeing it on this article. So, thank you very much for that, Shamus. Please keep making those kind of references.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here