The Big Picture: Nerd Gods

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Tdc2182:
Guidelines of basically being a good person was what most comic book heroes preach. In a large metaphorical way.

Well, ok, this is where things get complicated. If you happen to share values with a cult then there is nothing wrong with joining it. Things get nasty if you are lured into a cult by something you agree with and then find that this cult sets up rules you never had time to think about (or you even disagree with).

Now that I think about it, I am ok with nerds bringing a bit of spirituality to their nerd stuff, but if they did so with extreme devotion, I would consider this bad.

I love the finale. ASll this leads up to: Scientology. I love how you mentioned science fiction writers then... BAM! scientology.

And this might be your most commented topoic ever, bob. YOu know, with religion and a bunch of assholes online getting together.

I consider myself a atheist. That does not mean that I don't believe in anything however as alot of Christians make it sound, I that I believe that we don't know how earth was created etc. It could have been big bang, it could have been god for all I know but it's very unlikely that someone would have "guessed right". So in short, I believe that we how no clue and can only guess... until we got time travel.

Oh, yeah I would also join those nerd churches.

There is an entire religion based on the Jedi order? Where the fuck is the conversion papers! I wanna use the force!

maddawg IAJI:
There is an entire religion based on the Jedi order? Where the fuck is the conversion papers! I wanna use the force!

It was only a creative way of saying FU to the national census.

Woodsey:
Wordy

Ah. You are indeed correct then. Apologies. I usually do research on things that interest me before talking out my ass about them, but he wrote that article when I was at home... and had to use a cruddy old Mac instead of my awesome new PC. Hell, a new Mac would have been fine, not this thing from 2001. I wasn't doing any non-vital thing (like research Santa) on that piece of crap.

SensibleCrout:

maddawg IAJI:

N'awwww. Fuck it, I'm starting my own Jedi Religion. The meeting of the Jedi masters will be on Saturday if anyone is willing to come =P

Captain Pooptits:
Haarooohee, Bob? Haarooheee?

You just lost all nerd credibility with me. Stop your preaching now. Right now goddam.

It's pronounced Haruhi ffs visit a speech therapist.

That's like saying "Soliloquy, it's pronounced (soliloquy)".
Did not help at all.

Woodsey:
Coca-Cola didn't invent Santa Clause (or even the red and white suit I believe, they just put him in it since it went with the branding).

They did however make Rudolf, unless I'm mistaken.

The Church or Tali?

Hmmm... that could work out, right?

Praying to Spiderman? Oh please, I could find someone less whiny in a child daycare!

maddawg IAJI:

SensibleCrout:

maddawg IAJI:

N'awwww. Fuck it, I'm starting my own Jedi Religion. The meeting of the Jedi masters will be on Saturday if anyone is willing to come =P

Waaaaait a minute. You can't just come in here and declare yourself Jedi Master! You have to receive training. And face trials. And especially build your own lightsaber.
I'd really like to join Jediism, but I suggest we start small first.

Quaxar:
Praying to Spiderman? Oh please, I could find someone less whiny in a child daycare!

maddawg IAJI:

SensibleCrout:

Waaaaait a minute. You can't just come in here and declare yourself Jedi Master! You have to receive training. And face trials. And especially build your own lightsaber.

But there was a council of Jedi Masters! And its only right that the ones who find the religion be the leaders of it. And besides, I'm already done building my lightsaber and I'm halfway through with the Jedi bible (And I've used the word 'force' in it 502 times so far.)

*Goes back to etching the Jedi Bible into scrolls with his lightsaber.* Oh god damnit! This one caught fire.

Firstly, Im a Sun worshiper.

Secondly, isnt Gundam already a religion in Japan? and a few pockets in America?

Finally, Battlefield Earth, Has to be Travolta's career low point.

maddawg IAJI:

Quaxar:

maddawg IAJI:

But there was a council of Jedi Masters! And its only right that the ones who find the religion be the leaders of it. And besides, I'm already done building my lightsaber and I'm halfway through with the Jedi bible (And I've used the word 'force' in it 502 times so far.)

*Goes back to etching the Jedi Bible into scrolls with his lightsaber.* Oh god damnit! This one caught fire.

See, that's why you're not ready to be a Master yet. It's the Force!

Quaxar:

maddawg IAJI:

Quaxar:

Oh excuse me Mr.Widu, but have you survived a month in the harsh winters of Hoth yet!? I haven't either, but I already brought my ticket dammit D=<

My nerd god is Vegeta, it's devil is Freiza.

imnotparanoid:

Danial:
I already worship Stephen Fry, that counts right?

Yeah. Stephen Fry is awsome is'nt he.

He's Britain's national treasure for everyone!

--------

Back to the thing you said with the bible...

It is a good guide to follow... considering... you ignore everything that is not the 10 commandments or what Jesus said... And even then there is a lot of crap to cut out.

Deuteronomy 7:16: "Destroy every nation that your Lord God places in your power and do not show them any mercy." Yeah... Jesus didn't say that. Ignore it.

I am trying to not step on anyone's toes but... wake the fuck up, don't follow an ancient text to the letter. I managed to get a Jehovah's whiteness to leave my house after challenging him to justify the above line from the bible (the wager was if he could I'd let him in).

The Qur'an(said koran) is a medieval text... Not ancient but still outdated by almost 1000 years.

[/rant]

Goood video though. You finally hit on a high concept that I think is wwwaaaayyy to big not to get its own video with lots of discussion. RELIGION.

The subject that too many people would kill over (oh the fucking irony).

reminds me of an annoyance of
"So whats your religion"
"gnostism"
"you're agnostic?"
"...no"

partly because they imply I dont even know how to pronounce my own belief system

Nice one, Bob. That's why I like you. I reckon it's much harder to tell you live in Crazyland when you're born and raised there. Hell, plenty of people here on the outside can't.

I'll point out that the reason jedi isn't a religions isn't because some church bigwigs or boring bureaucrats said 'jedi isn't a real religion blar blar blar'. It's because there are some things a set of beliefs need to have for it to become a real religon, most importantly a dogma, which 'jedi' only has partially. Nerds wishing to be religious but not quite have plenty of options though. I'm pretty sure Discordianism qualifies.

Also I can't believe you mentioned nerd gods and didn't mention Neil Gaiman. Between Sandman, American Gods and Good Omens the guy is set to create any religion.

I'm pretty sure this video is kind of breaking the 1st commandment, But oh well it was ummmm........ entertaining I guess, and with a soup box show I can't complain when someone voices there opinion.
I am a Christan-Nihilist and have no problem with people of with differences in religious beliefs. I almost never push my beliefs on others unless pushed first.

Well that was about the best ending you could put on this. :)

This show has gone for bad to worse.

Hell, the MOVIE reviews weren't that great to start with.

Oh, I'm SORRY Bob, am i stealing your rhytm?

Seeys next time!

I already follow the teachings of Mite Gai from Naruto. Hes had ten fold the influence any real person has had on me.

"LET THE POWER OF YOUR YOUTH EXPLODE!!!"

I am more of a mythbuster person so they are gods of blowing stuff up :)

I'm an atheist, being a geologist doesn't mesh well with the 6000 year old earth theory. However, I would proclaim myself a Jedi right now if it meant I could gain control of the Force. And if I could get my hands on a lightsaber. Of course, if this could happen religious wars could end, just by having the Jedi order step in and slaughter anyone who points a gun at someone who they think is an 'infidel'.

Amund:

Woodsey:
Coca-Cola didn't invent Santa Clause (or even the red and white suit I believe, they just put him in it since it went with the branding).

They did however make Rudolf, unless I'm mistaken.

I thought that was Mal Mart or another one of the big corperations, I think I read it on this sight but I cant remember where. I also heard Santa was German or was it abit further north.

maddawg IAJI:

Quaxar:

maddawg IAJI:

Oh excuse me Mr.Widu, but have you survived a month in the harsh winters of Hoth yet!? I haven't either, but I already brought my ticket dammit D=<

Windu... I wish I was. Would've been a whole lot different then.
"I'm sick with this motherfuckin' Siths in this motherfuckin' Republic!" if you catch my drift.

Anyway, I may have not been to Hoth yet (their skiing ressort prices are out of my current price-range) but look at these awesome power converters I got on Tattooine!

Krantos:

mesoforte:
Atheist=/=Hating religion

Probably wasn't intentional, but the subtext was there.

While I've never seen atheists standing on the corner yelling (yet), they do seem eager to share their opinion in personal conversation and don't like being disagreed with, which is pretty much status quo for obnoxious religious people.

I do love bringing it up in conversation (when appropriate). I love being disagreed with. How better to prove an ideal than to have it be challenged, and still have it turn out right?

Religion is like a giant placebo but you can't make yourself believe in something you know is fictional anymore than you can convince yourself that smearing peanut butter on you genitals will cure herpes, and without genuine faith in the placebo it won't have an effect.

As for living by the rules of fictional characters, people are doing that already. I am, at least.

Also, we shouldn't respect other peoples beliefs if we disagree with them, especially where Tom Cruise is concerned.

Quaxar:

maddawg IAJI:

Quaxar:

Windu... I wish I was. Would've been a whole lot different then.
"I'm sick with this motherfuckin' Siths in this motherfuckin' Republic!" if you catch my drift.

Anyway, I may have not been to Hoth yet (their skiing ressort prices are out of my current price-range) but look at these awesome power converters I got on Tattooine!

You went to Toshi Station, you n00b!

What the fuck? I haven't even seen anyone practicing 'Jedi' in NZ >.>

Anyway, 'Nerd Gods' would probably receive public outrage, accusations from people 'degrading' and 'insulting' gods and worst of all, being heckled/teased about worshiping fictional characters.

I think we should let time run it's course until we make an actual religion. Oh wait I dibs on

The Imperium Of Man. Who wants to join xD?

Nice video Bob, love these series.

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1167544241l/24812.jpg

The 3 books in the complete collection of Calvin and Hobbes is my bibel.

Sorry, I'm already a Saganist.
HAIL SAGAN!!!

You know I actually thought about founding my own church once, it was going to be the Church of Mario and eating mushrooms and doing drugs would be part of are practices, therefore making the drugs legal. I think that is how it work i remember Native American tribes get to smoke weed or something because it was apart of their customs. Plus it would give Italian kids good role models instead of the Jersey shore people.

I've always kinda thought comics and popular culture could be considered our moral guides now. Many of the old comics were all about morals and correct behavior, mainly drawing from religion anyhow.

Interesting, Bob, that you would choose this topic now because I've just finished the 2nd book of Marvel's "Earth X" series, and that has a TON to say about religion and mythology.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here