Trailers: XCOM Trailer

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

XCOM Trailer

Taking the role of an FBI agent, your task in XCOM is to identify and eliminate extraterrestrial threats.

Watch Video

This game uses the Kinect?

So, instead of getting a turn-based strategy game with the neat R&D metagame to upgrade capabilities of squads and bases, we get a shooter that pits us against Nickelodeon Slime.

/facepalm

That's like chucking a tortoise shell at someone's head and calling it Super Mario Brothers.

Oh, I thought there was a new trailer.

Nope, still is shit.

Looks like there could at least be some interesting set pieces...

I'll have to keep an eye on previews.

Kenjitsuka:
Lame.

Agreed. Alien blobs that eat people = WTF.

This just looks like a badly-reskinned Bioshock.

So... was there ANYTHING new at all in that trailer?. Why is this news?.

Still doesn't deserve to carry the name XCOM, but that's not new.

Wow - I was originally uninterested in this because they were ripping off a game I like to make a different game entirely, and now I am less interested because ignoring that, the game looks terrible in every way.

Fight = shoot with pistol
Study = shoot with gun

I'm willing to give this game a chance, it looks like a bit of thought might've been put into it

Wait... did he just get out the back door at 38sec? Back seat driving is amazing...

RAUL! Today you will add Snakemen... I command it!

(Also, -50 points because I've just realized how much these new Aliens resemble some of the Aliens in one the Altar UFO games)

People have been asking for new X-Com for years and years and years. But what a slap to the face this is! A generic monster shooter with blob monsters running around killing people.

No one asked for -this- game. This game is not reinventing X-Com it's throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Thanks 2K. But seriously, no thanks. You can bury this game and never do anything with X-Com again if this is the crap you plan to give us.

Not every IP needs to be a 1st person shooter now!

Probably not the best title for this game, but it looks like it's worth a look in the future. That said, this doesn't look like it is anything more than a preview build (similar to a demo). I'll keep an eye on it and not keep my hopes up.

Insulting, although the 'STUDY THEM: WITH A SHOTGUN' part is funny in an MST3K kinda way.

Epic Mickey has CROSSED OVER into the land OF THE LIVING!

IamSofaKingRaw:
This game uses the Kinect?

Nope.

And just to set the record straight, the new XCOM will have almost all of the base upgrading/squad training/researching aspects of the old XCOM, slightly scaled down for the reduced scope (the game only takes place in America as opposed to the whole world.) The devs have said so in previews.

Kenjitsuka:
Lame.

Seconded and nice avatar, Teresa I see.

I was hoping this trailer would be a new one, perhaps showing off some of these purported "strategy elements" I've been hearing about. No such luck I see. I'll never know why they went FPS style. It wouldn't kill a developer to produce something that was less like a shooter in a shooter heavy market. That said, I'm hoping for some mitigation.

Team Hollywood:
XCOM Trailer

Taking the role of an FBI agent, your task in XCOM is to identify and eliminate extraterrestrial threats.

Watch Video

I love how it is this trailer of a fairly forgettable looking indie FPS game, and then for some reason they slap on 'XCOM' at the end. I'm not sure why they put that there, and I'm really curious what the name of the game is.

Still offensive.

Fawful:
And just to set the record straight, the new XCOM will have almost all of the base upgrading/squad training/researching aspects of the old XCOM, slightly scaled down for the reduced scope (the game only takes place in America as opposed to the whole world.) The devs have said so in previews.

Considering that it's an FPS, that isn't even possible. Every trailer I watch just makes me more sure that this game will be nothing special. They talk about all this research, and squad mechanics, but all they ever show us is one guy fighting with revolvers, shotguns and fancy-looking grenades, and taking pictures. Great. More pictures. Sure, that counts as a research system.

Of course, even if I'm wrong about those mechanics, the game still bears almost no resemblance to the old games. The switch to FPS is upsetting, and the complete change to the setting / enemies / etc. is even more so simply because there was no reason for it. Unless, that is, they just slapped the name on a pre-existing project, like an "As seen on TV!" sticker.

Doesn't seem like X-Com.

Doesn't seem bad, either.

At the risk of sounding like a traitor, I am curious about this and wouldn't mind giving it a go.
I've tried the three main games of UFO, TFTD and Apocalypse, enjoying each one immensely. But would we really be happy with a HD upgrade of our old classics or dare we try something new?if it flops, at least they could say they tried it at least.

But looking at the trailer, the reasons I'm intrigued is that it looks to focus towards a good horror element (I'll admit I found Terror from the Deep somewhat unsettling due to the organic alien bases and music to accompany it) which is usually welcomed into a sci-fi themed game if it isn't too blaring and loud...the underlying fear of "can we actually win against these things?" is more effective sometimes than outright gore.

So I care to try it at least before I form any opinion. It is just a trailer after all

OMFG a new X-COM game?! And it's an fps no less. Looks pretty wicked too, totally gonna play this. I remember as a kid I used to play X-COM Apocalypse, oh man those were the days...

they should have called it bioshock or something since its got much more to do with that game then xcom, really all it does by calling itself xcom is piss off long time xcom fans

Rallion:
Still offensive.

Fawful:

Considering that it's an FPS, that isn't even possible. Every trailer I watch just makes me more sure that this game will be nothing special. They talk about all this research, and squad mechanics, but all they ever show us is one guy fighting with revolvers, shotguns and fancy-looking grenades, and taking pictures. Great. More pictures. Sure, that counts as a research system.

Of course, even if I'm wrong about those mechanics, the game still bears almost no resemblance to the old games. The switch to FPS is upsetting, and the complete change to the setting / enemies / etc. is even more so simply because there was no reason for it. Unless, that is, they just slapped the name on a pre-existing project, like an "As seen on TV!" sticker.

2K have said that the management side of things at home base will be done in 1st person so that is happening. Aisde from that, yeah, I mostly agree with you, but this is just the tralier, and I think most of your reservations about the mechanics should drop away when more proper gameplay footage is realeased. 2K should really release a 10-20 min target gameplay tralier like they did with the new Bioshock 'cause they haven't marketed this game well at all.

Since I never played the original X-comx I'll just base the rest of my ranting on the trailer I just saw.

Plainly, it looks horrible and childish. Your an FBI agent who seems to have access the same weapon library as Neo did in the Matrix, I mean really where in the world does an FBI agent get a lighting gun and flame grenades, it just seems like they're trying to hard to make it seem intense.

and black alien blobs that eat people? doesn't seem very scary, I mean for a game, if I saw a black alien blob walsting into my room sure I throw a flame grenade at it, but the horror aspect they're trying to conceive in this game just does not work, I mean medium paced blobs coming for you from the other side of a brightly lit room when you are armed with a shotgun and a flame grenade, not very scary.

And just another thing, what genere does this actually come under besides fps? sci-fi? horror? mystery? it just like 2K is trying to mash too many things into a game and making the gameplay as smooth as the Himalayan mountains.

Onyx Oblivion:
Doesn't seem like X-Com.

Doesn't seem bad, either.

I agree with half of your statements.

Also what's with the old trailers? I'm genuinely confused.

Blasphemous

not looking forward to this.

archabaddon:
So, instead of getting a turn-based strategy game with the neat R&D metagame to upgrade capabilities of squads and bases, we get a shooter that pits us against Nickelodeon Slime.

/facepalm

That's like chucking a tortoise shell at someone's head and calling it Super Mario Brothers.

You know in all honesty, the game actually looks really decent. Our main gripe is that it's been named x-com and they got rid of alll the turn base strategy roots of the series in favoure of an fps.
I will still probably buy it as the game standalone looks quite interesting, but I'm not happy that it's called X-Com.
-Tabs<3-

This is the same trailer that's been floating around for ages. Nothing new?

Why are we posting old Trailers today?

Daedalus1942:

You know in all honesty, the game actually looks really decent. Our main gripe is that it's been named x-com and they got rid of alll the turn base strategy roots of the series in favoure of an fps.

And the enemies... and the story... and the stuff that made X-COM... X-COM

As someone who actually grew up playing the originals (UFO: Enemy Unknown, Terror from the Deep, and Apocalypse) I stand somewhat bemused at the point of this title. Remember that the X-Com franchise is very old, very influential, but has not had any major releases in ten years.
Now a new game is going to be coming out, and gameplay wise bares next to no similarity to the originals. Compare that if you will to the recent Monkey Island games. Now if they had been released as FPS's, then the guild of highly disgruntled Puzzle/Adventure Gamers would have torched the studio.
Yes, it has 'X-Com' infront of it, but I really don't know that that is going to accomplish. Fans of the classic series like me are going to get turned off because if we wanted an FBS back then, we would have bought Doom or Quake. As for younger gamers, the name X-Com will mean nothing to them.
So you have a new FPS out where you fight an alien threat. You have a thousand names to call it, just pick a good one this time...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here