Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Creepiest Giant Spiders

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

uhh...to be fair lisa, and idk if this has been stated prior...but spiders and scorpions are both part of the same family...arachnids

Good list but i would like if you did a top 5 list of things that are more important not so random

Babitz:

C.S.Strowbridge:

Babitz:

How did I lie about the rules? No one else thought I was lying, so what's wrong with your comprehension? Srsly.

"Basically, you're saying we should reply with kind words or gtfo?"

That's a lie.

I was stating my dissatisfaction with the rules and pointing out the double standard.

Treating a simple "thank you" and a mindless complaint differently isn't a double standard. This part is apparently still confusing you.

I see.
Since your (faulty) logic stems from another world, I'll just have my giggles at your expense and be on my way.

Ta-ta.

Your admission of defeat is graciously accepted.

D Moness:

Also what people seem to forget (not an attack towards you btw) is that a top 5 is always an opinion and hardly anyone shares the complete same opinion.

In fact, missing a couple might be a good thing, as it will encourage debate.

Pyromania192:

Mazty:

Though why do some people air their opinion as if it is worth more than what is really is: A faceless comment usually with no substance & is purely subjective?
Saying "Omgosh dis show is like well lames" is utterly pointless if people enjoy the show, and yet week after week keyboard critics keep making the same inane comments as if their opinion is of some value.
A lot of the people making criticism do not appreciate that people enjoy this show. I certainly came across one who told me I was "wrong" for enjoying a nostalgic aspect of the show. Those kind of people should not just be kicked out of the Apple Society, but given a muzzle when they step out into public, as they think their opinion is fact.
The critics have to appreciate that the show may not need to change for it to be popular. Hell, I think the Saw film series is utterly dire in every conceivable way, yet does it need to change? No. Why? It is popular. Just because something may not cater to personal preference doesn't mean something is necessarily wrong with it.

In short: It's the internet - without opinions, we have nothing to discuss. Unfortunatly, we can't all be profesional critics: but even their work is only a matter of opinion, not fact. We cannot argue fact because it is proven and tested. Hence, opinion is one of the largest means of discussion on a forumn. Think if every topic on the escapist had 0 unprofesional opinions - There wouldn't be any threads discussing ideas with opposing points of view would there?

You are still acting like expressing your opinion will get you banned. It won't. You can complain about the quality of the show, as long as you do so in a constructive fashion.

Until you can point out people who have given constructive criticism and have still been banned, your argument is baseless. You are talking about hypothetical. You are complaining about possible abuses that haven't happened yet.

emeraldrafael:
Too bad only a few amount of spiders are poisonous.

Too bad? Are you insane man!?

Pyromania192:

What constitutes as constructive criticism compared to pure criticism is, in many cases Subjective.

Give me a real world example. Something that has happened on this site where someone posted constructive criticism and was punished for it. Hell, give me an example where it was close and not an obvious call. If you can't point out something, then you are deflecting.

We all understand the rules are there, you don't need to constantly use them as justification like claiming you have whatever deity you subscribe to on your side in a holy war.

This seems to me to be projection.

Regardless, knowing the rules exist and knowing what they say are two different things. If someone says, 'Posting your opinion can get you banned.' it show that that person doesn't know what the rules are.

While you brush this off as irrelevant, it makes perfect sense when you look back at the last few pages. How many people have you had a discussion with regarding their dislike of the show that hasn't involved the rules. There are other avenues, and looming punishment over their heads by sprouting the rules isn't going to make anyone see eye to eye with you.

How is explaining the rules holding punishment over their heads?

How is explaining the rules 'using vinegar instead of honey'?

How is explaining the rules going to stop someone from providing constructive criticism?

Decent list. I can't say that I know of all the giant spiders within the gaming world so I can't criticize that.

What I can say is sadface to the mac love, and at least it was recognized that the purchase suggestion would catch hell. So ... hell.

All in all keep it up, I suppose.

anonymity88:

emeraldrafael:

its more to her over reaction of spiders.

And possibly. I'm not sane by psychiatric standards, but I'm not insane. Disturbed but function was the phrase that they used alot. Besides, wouldnt hurt to have a few more poisonous species of animals around. Grow some kids up fast. XD I'm joking of course. About the spiders.

I am no longer in love with Lisa Foiles after her horribly ignoring the existance of the Minecraft spider. I mean, the sound they make alone is enough to put them on the list.

Nothing too scary, really. But that's me, thoroughly jaded and cynical. At least Lisa gets prettier every time she does a video. :)

C.S.Strowbridge:

Babitz:

C.S.Strowbridge:

"Basically, you're saying we should reply with kind words or gtfo?"

That's a lie.

Treating a simple "thank you" and a mindless complaint differently isn't a double standard. This part is apparently still confusing you.

I see.
Since your (faulty) logic stems from another world, I'll just have my giggles at your expense and be on my way.

Ta-ta.

Your admission of defeat is graciously accepted.

Cool story bro.

Honestly, I'm really surprised you didn't include Silithia from Darksiders. She EASILY deserved a spot in the top 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF9PYJzDUTA&feature=related

Drakmeire:
I was thinking the metal spider queen from Brutal Legend.
because IT'S A SPIDER MADE OF METAL!!!
combining two of humankind's greatest fears. giant bugs and robot uprisings.

That thing made me say both "OH SHIT!" and "THAT IS AWESOME!"

What, you're not going to pick on the giant hair magma spiders from Bayonetta? Well, I guess they're *your* spiders, so I guess that doesn't count.

Oh and Lisa? Iron your muslin backdrop, please.

Pyromania192:

Mazty:

Though why do some people air their opinion as if it is worth more than what is really is: A faceless comment usually with no substance & is purely subjective?
Saying "Omgosh dis show is like well lames" is utterly pointless if people enjoy the show, and yet week after week keyboard critics keep making the same inane comments as if their opinion is of some value.
A lot of the people making criticism do not appreciate that people enjoy this show. I certainly came across one who told me I was "wrong" for enjoying a nostalgic aspect of the show. Those kind of people should not just be kicked out of the Apple Society, but given a muzzle when they step out into public, as they think their opinion is fact.
The critics have to appreciate that the show may not need to change for it to be popular. Hell, I think the Saw film series is utterly dire in every conceivable way, yet does it need to change? No. Why? It is popular. Just because something may not cater to personal preference doesn't mean something is necessarily wrong with it.

In short: It's the internet - without opinions, we have nothing to discuss. Unfortunatly, we can't all be profesional critics: but even their work is only a matter of opinion, not fact. We cannot argue fact because it is proven and tested. Hence, opinion is one of the largest means of discussion on a forumn. Think if every topic on the escapist had 0 unprofesional opinions - There wouldn't be any threads discussing ideas with opposing points of view would there?

Opinions need substance otherwise they are worthless. As I said, most the criticism made have no substance & are therefore worthless.

getting a serious fetish for hot girls swearing now

Ok, after having watched a few episodes and reading some of the comments I can honestly say I don't like this show. Now here's what I'm going to do about it: I'm not going to watch it anymore. Rather than voice complaints based on opinion on the forum and continue a flame war, I'm going to spend my time watching and viewing content on the Escapist that I find entertaining and edifying and let those of you who enjoy this show continue to do so. Kthxbye.

sir.rutthed:
Ok, after having watched a few episodes and reading some of the comments I can honestly say I don't like this show. Now here's what I'm going to do about it: I'm not going to watch it anymore. Rather than voice complaints based on opinion on the forum and continue a flame war, I'm going to spend my time watching and viewing content on the Escapist that I find entertaining and edifying and let those of you who enjoy this show continue to do so. Kthxbye.

*applause* Finally, someone gets it.

I both fear and like spiders. I almost drank a spider yesterday when it crawled into my cup of Soy milk. *shudder* The creepiest thing about killing virtual spiders as how they shrivel their legs up onto their back. The creepiest thing about running away from virtual spiders is getting tangled in webs.

Aureliano:
Quick comment: Lisa's diction has gotten a lot better since the first few vids, likely due to improved editing/doing more takes.

And now that those hiccups are gone it's just a great show. It combines some of my favorite activities: watching funny things, engaging with video game culture
, and ogling hot ladies.

Here's hoping this show has a long run.

^ This.

Also, I'd watch this over "The Daily Drop" any day of the week.

Mazty:
Thing is looking at the number of comments made, I'd have said the videos are popular. So there really is no need to change to cater for a minority.
It's not the fact that the comments are negative, it's that they are done in an almost malicious fashion, and certainly not a mature or constructive one.

Twilight has a lot of fans but that doesn't make it a searing piece of artistic genius that cannot be improved. Everything can be improved but without listening to criticism that improvement will never occur. Quoting Yahtzee here "the cruellest thing you can do to an artist is tell them their work is flawless when it isn't". What I'm saying is in the right context a negative opinion is a vital part of any shows improvement curve, so saying that any negative comment can be ignored because it is in the minority is blatantly false.

Repeating myself here slightly but still, what is deemed "constructive criticism" is subjective. For example, although it was blunt I deemed the initial comment to contain suitable levels of constructive criticism that I felt a ban was harsh especially after witnessing comments about other series (Game Dogs and Rebeccas Mayes, I'm looking at you). The mods however felt differently which will happen with a system based on opinion and interpretation. Without a clear definition on what is "constructive criticism" events like this will be repeated.

Mazty:
Opinions need substance otherwise they are worthless. As I said, most the criticism made have no substance & are therefore worthless.

How do you add "substance" to an opinion? To go back to Yahtzee here, the guy started out making videos on youtube, as far as I'm aware he wasn't paid and nor did he have any particular "critic" experience to pull from. He just decided that making videos would be entertaining. Then he got hired and is now professional. Is his opinion suddenly more "right" than it was before he was paid? Does it have more "substance"? I'm not sure his style has really changed that much, but I will let others be the judge of that.

Pretty much all critics start off in obscurity simply voicing their opinion. The internet has now given a wider slice of the population that chance with forums and blogs etc now being widespread. However, the fact remains that most famous critics had to form their reputation somewhere. Big hitters in the critic world like Ebert didn't just spring fully formed, reputation in hand. Plus, on a situation like this which is entirely subjective and based on personal taste, every opinion carries substance. I know people who dislike steaks, are their opinions void, or in some way flawed simply because they go against the majority of people? Does their opinion carry less weight than mine because I am part of the majority?

Meh, to me it's not a very good show at the moment, but that's how most of these kinds of shows start out, I'm sure it will get better with time.

Also about all the people getting suspended and put on probation in these comments, I have to say the mods are doing a rather bad job. I always loved the Escpaist as somewhere you could have open conversation about pretty much any topic you want. Negative or positive, you could state your opinion, and if someone disagreed you didn't start a flame war, you had intelligent conversation over it. At the moment, stating a negative opinion just gets you unreasonably harsh mod wrath. No conversation, no debate, just mod wrath (although yes, there are some exceptions). Users now-a-days are being treated more like subjects than people, and it's just because an extremely vague set of rules is being enforced in a manner that's way too strict. You don't punish someone for disagreeing with you or criticizing you, you reason with them.

And this... this, exactly, is why people had their concerns with the new rules?

Seriously, mod staff? Now, you can't be telling me that every single one of those four (or five) people put on probation/suspended/banned have shown disrespect to your content.

Fargo called the show "stupid, pandering nonsense". I don't agree with him, however, I don's see people getting suspended over calling some game "stupid" or "garbage" - which might very well offend the people who created it.

Alright, okay, you could kind of see that as an insult - however, many people did not and for simply quoting it they gain a probation?

And the icing on the okay is that Spinwhiz has to come along and say "the rules are the rules". Well, I don't see it. I don't see how giving your honest opinion on something constitues as disrespect, even if that opinion sounds harsh.

Spinwhiz:

I return to the old adage: "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all." The internet may give people the right to be rude, but this site does not.

So, by saying this you basically state you don't accept critisism? Come on, you've been really reasonable before and accepted when the community deemed your actions as too harsh.

Saying that you don't appreciate critisism is fairly misguided, but what do I know.

OT: Before you deem me a person who also attacks the show without any reasons given, the truth is, I don't. I find it pretty good. I have been familiar with some of Lisa's work before and this is probably the best thing I've seen her do.

It does get a little "pandering" at times, but it's cute and funny. I'm alright with that.

JourneyThroughHell:
Snip

Most people are giving criticism instead of constructive criticism and there is a huge difference. Criticism is/are negative opinions that tear something down. Constructive criticism offers possible additions or changes that would make something better.

What we see a lot of is just criticism. What is constructive about "stupid, pandering nonsense"? Would you like someone to come up to you and tell you that about content that you worked hard on? I highly doubt it.

Listen folks, we understand everyone has their opinion but if it is just plain negative, we don't want to hear it or see it, it's really that simple. It doesn't add to conversation and just promoted more negativity and potential hostile debates. However, if you do have something to say that you think can make our content better, please do post it. We like feedback we can use.

Spinwhiz:

JourneyThroughHell:
Snip

Most people are giving criticism instead of constructive criticism and there is a huge difference. Criticism is negative opinions that tear something down. Constructive criticism offers possible additions or changes that would make something better.

What we see a lot of is just criticism. What is constructive about "stupid, pandering nonsense"? Would you like someone to come up to you and tell you that about content that you worked hard on? I highly doubt it.

Listen folks, we understand everyone had their opinion but if it is just plain negative, we don't want to hear it or see it, it's really that simple. It doesn't add to conversation and just promoted more negativity and potential hostile debates. However, if you do have something to say that you think can make our content better, please do post it. We like feedback we can use.

How very dissapointing. In other words, you don't take constructive critisim either, you only accept timid and polite suggestions.

Specula:

Spinwhiz:

JourneyThroughHell:
Snip

Most people are giving criticism instead of constructive criticism and there is a huge difference. Criticism is negative opinions that tear something down. Constructive criticism offers possible additions or changes that would make something better.

Listen folks, we understand everyone had their opinion but if it is just plain negative, we don't want to hear it or see it, it's really that simple. It doesn't add to conversation and just promoted more negativity and potential hostile debates. However, if you do have something to say that you think can make our content better, please do post it. We like feedback we can use.

How very dissapointing. In other words, you don't take constructive critisim either, you only accept timid and polite suggestions.

If that is the only way you or anyone else knows how to be constructive, then yes.

drew8800:

Beliyal:
Anyway, I literally laughed out loud when she started hitting herself with various objects. Probably because that's what I do when I think there's a spider on me.

Agreed. I actually broke a pair of glasses smacking my self repeatedly after walking into a giant spider web. At night. In the Florida Everglades. The web was strung between 2 trees about 8 feet apart. The web was maybe 10 feet tall. No joke - look up 'Banana Spider Web' on Google Images. You'll see...

Great, another country to add to the list.

PLACES TO NEVER VISIT DUE TO SPIDER INFESTATION:

* Australia
* The Entire South American Continent
* The Entire African Continent
* Florida

I don't think I'll be leaving the UK anytime soon.

OT: Watched an episode of Top 5 for the sake of giving it a chance and I didn't care for it. Maybe it's objectively bad (is that an oxymoron?) or maybe it's just not my sort of thing, but I won't be watching anymore either way.

webby:
Twilight has a lot of fans but that doesn't make it a searing piece of artistic genius that cannot be improved. Everything can be improved but without listening to criticism that improvement will never occur. Quoting Yahtzee here "the cruellest thing you can do to an artist is tell them their work is flawless when it isn't". What I'm saying is in the right context a negative opinion is a vital part of any shows improvement curve, so saying that any negative comment can be ignored because it is in the minority is blatantly false.

Repeating myself here slightly but still, what is deemed "constructive criticism" is subjective. For example, although it was blunt I deemed the initial comment to contain suitable levels of constructive criticism that I felt a ban was harsh especially after witnessing comments about other series (Game Dogs and Rebeccas Mayes, I'm looking at you). The mods however felt differently which will happen with a system based on opinion and interpretation. Without a clear definition on what is "constructive criticism" events like this will be repeated.

How do you add "substance" to an opinion? To go back to Yahtzee here, the guy started out making videos on youtube, as far as I'm aware he wasn't paid and nor did he have any particular "critic" experience to pull from. He just decided that making videos would be entertaining. Then he got hired and is now professional. Is his opinion suddenly more "right" than it was before he was paid? Does it have more "substance"? I'm not sure his style has really changed that much, but I will let others be the judge of that.

Pretty much all critics start off in obscurity simply voicing their opinion. The internet has now given a wider slice of the population that chance with forums and blogs etc now being widespread. However, the fact remains that most famous critics had to form their reputation somewhere. Big hitters in the critic world like Ebert didn't just spring fully formed, reputation in hand. Plus, on a situation like this which is entirely subjective and based on personal taste, every opinion carries substance. I know people who dislike steaks, are their opinions void, or in some way flawed simply because they go against the majority of people? Does their opinion carry less weight than mine because I am part of the majority?

Twilight however promotes essentially a bad social and moral message, as well as being 2D characters etc. Most criticism that apply to a film can't be applied to a web program such as this one due to simply the difference in content - there is no story, characters and so on.
Though look at Twilight. Saying "it is bad and needs to change" is very different to "it is bad". It makes a hell of a lot of money, and has fans so it doesn't actually need to change.
I don't think anyone here is saying this is flawless, but why do people care so much? I mean really, to get so worked up over a whole 5 minutes which isn't calling for the banning of abortions, priority of religious beliefs or other political and ethical topics is ludicrous. A lot of the critics are acting as if this show is somehow blasphemous and blowing it completely out of proportion.
As for other shows and criticisms made in the past, the difference is the posting rules have been changed, making them more grey essentially, but honestly with the internet being what it is and the average person on it being who they are, it's probably for the best.
Substance is when the person has a logical basis for the opinion. Most the critics are simply criticising it because they don't like it. With a show like this, if you don't like it, it simply isn't for you - you can't logically say "omgosh worst show evar" as it's content really doesn't warrant any sort of in-depth analysis.
Yahtzee's shows do have substance; he isn't simply saying "worst game evar" without then saying why, or vice-versa. Opinions can either be worthless or worthwhile. A lot of the critics by the people who are being banned are worthless as they are simply ranting as to why they don't like the show due to entirely personal preference rather than putting forward any useful criticism.
I've re-written the guys words to something that wouldn't have gotten him suspended/banned:

"I enjoy Top Whatever lists, but personally, I am not a fan of this series as I haven't found the lists to be all the enjoyable. Also the potential fan service potentially undermines the shows integrity and I don't fully understand the humour. "

See the problem - the guy offers no way in which the show could be improved, not to mention how pointlessly offensive the original post was. It's generally because of this why he was rightfully punished.

Once, I walked into a giant spider's web and had to pull the resident out of my hair.
A kid once heard popping in his eardrum. The doctor flushed the ear and two spiders came out.
Spiders rarely eat flesh. For most of them, their venom, once injected, liquefies the innards of the victim, turning them into the spider's personal slushie.

True stories all. Have a nice evening people. ^_^

emeraldrafael:

anonymity88:

emeraldrafael:

its more to her over reaction of spiders.

And possibly. I'm not sane by psychiatric standards, but I'm not insane. Disturbed but function was the phrase that they used alot. Besides, wouldnt hurt to have a few more poisonous species of animals around. Grow some kids up fast. XD I'm joking of course. About the spiders.

I think he was referring to the fact that all Spiders are poisonous. The only problem is that very few of them have enough strength to pierce our skin. How do you think they killed their pray after it got stuck in the web?

maddawg IAJI:
Snip

I know, but thats what I mean. We need more that are deadly to humans.

emeraldrafael:

maddawg IAJI:
Snip

I know, but thats what I mean. We need more that are deadly to humans.

They're deadly to just about everything else. We just have skin that's too tough, I'm sure that Spiders will eventually evolve and be able to pierce our skin later in the future....of course,the few that can already do that are fucking scary as hell O_o Seriously http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_birdeater this thing lives off a diet of birds.

Scary Ass WTF Stabby Spider - the obvious technical term technical term

I have to say, this was one of my favorite Top 5 so far. Really liked some of the jokes and am glad that you aren't using sexuality so bluntly. Spetnaz spiders would be pretty badass though, I think.

I was dissappointed to not see Queen Gohma from Ocarina of Time though. While Armagoma is obviously a spider (with her Firey-like Fuck-you lasers), it was Gohma that freaked me out more. Sure I was much younger when I first faced her, but she's still creepy even now. I mean she gives birth to children just to fight you. Creepy.

Drakmeire:
I was thinking the metal spider queen from Brutal Legend.
because IT'S A SPIDER MADE OF METAL!!!
combining two of humankind's greatest fears. giant bugs and robot uprisings.

The Metal Spider Queen was less creepy, more FUCKING AWESOME! Plus you fight it to the sound of "Cry of the Banshee" which is a damn awesome song.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here