Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Creepiest Giant Spiders

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

The first thing I thought of was the Minecraft spider, very creepy indeed :)

Also, what is with people complaining it is just a funny video for people to watch, if people don't like it then just don't watch further episodes.

Spinwhiz:

Mackheath:
I kept my silence throughout this listing thing, but I am pretty darn tired of it. It's not funny, its not interesting, its not even remotely worth watching. It's the kind of MySpace garbage I came to this site to get away from. And now the Escapist fawns on it. -_-

Also...

FargoDog:
snip

What he said. And getting suspended for his blunt honesty-quite frankly- is quite sickening.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct

The rules are the rules.

Basically, you're saying we should reply with kind words or gtfo?

Yeah, constructive criticism is alright, but just saying you don't like something isn't?
Yet if someone praised it without saying anything worthwhile (like most people on these comments do), then it's just fine, right?

It's a double standard and an annoying one.

No, I don't dislike Lisa's work, but I hate this kind of censorship and "smiles only" regime.
I'll probably get suspended or put on probation now for merely expressing my opinion.

Babitz:
Basically, you're saying we should reply with kind words or gtfo?

Yeah, constructive criticism is alright, but just saying you don't like something isn't?
Yet if someone praised it without saying anything worthwhile (like most people on these comments do), then it's just fine, right?

Our site, our rules. We will not allow ranting and negativity for the sake of allowing someone to just complain. Very few people stop at "meh, not for me". There are plenty of sites where rants and flaming of content and people are allowed, this isn't one of them.

I return to the old adage: "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all." The internet may give people the right to be rude, but this site does not.

BlueInkAlchemist:
Unrelated to the creepiness of spiders, I adore Glasses!Lisa. Very hot.

...I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

My sentiments exactly. Are you a mind reader?

OT: Fun list. Oh, and Lisa, we can't fault you for number 3 because if you want to get technical, both spiders and scorpions are arachnids.

Kegluneq:

Ohdake:
Hey, list is missing The Spider queen from Okami. She was mix of spider and the girl from grudge. Buuuut she was killed with flowers and painting so Im not sure.

Alternatively, it took the power of a sun god to kill her. The Spider Queen was scary as hell when you accidentally wandered into her hidden boss alternative forms as well. Generally that lead to INSTANT DEATH.

Didn't she also have multiple eyeballs?

No eyes on her face, but eight in her abdomen/flower/shell.

It's hard to put a hot chick in anything and not have people assume that they only accepted the idea just because she's hot. Poor Lisa, it's not her fault she's better looking than most.

This is the first of this series that I've watched, and some of it was annoying, but some of it made me laugh. Not bad, might just need to mature a bit, hit its stride.

Anyway, I don't think that giant spiders are scary, and I am definitely scared of spiders. What makes spiders creepy is the fact that they can crawl under something and you don't know where they are, or they could be sitting in your shoe, or they could drop from above and get in your hair AHHH AHH AHHHHHHH you get the idea. Giant spiders are easy to keep track of, and therefore no scarier than any other monster.

Beliyal:
Anyway, I literally laughed out loud when she started hitting herself with various objects. Probably because that's what I do when I think there's a spider on me.

Agreed. I actually broke a pair of glasses smacking my self repeatedly after walking into a giant spider web. At night. In the Florida Everglades. The web was strung between 2 trees about 8 feet apart. The web was maybe 10 feet tall. No joke - look up 'Banana Spider Web' on Google Images. You'll see...

I don't need this! My arachnophobia is bad enough!

Let me know if it's any good. I could always watch it with my monitor turned off or something....

Oh, jeez, now I'm going to be paranoid about spiders all day. ><

WHY DO I HAVE TO LIVE IN AUSTRALIA?! This country is not arachnophobe friendly!

Actually, I think I am starting to get Lisa's top 5. It is growing on me. She approaches these top 5's with the little parts in these games that you may or may not have thought about in that way and makes it interesting. I have found myself already interested in wanting to play certain games for that reason. This week, I am wanting play limbo for it's creepiness. And I hate spiders that don't leave me alone.

...ok, I can't resist.

You're doomed! DOOMED!

are scorpions and spiders not somehow the same family or so...
i dont know how to explain it right, i'm no biologist.
but they both have 8 leggs, and that is not a coincidence, i'm shure.

As soon as I saw the title I thought, "Phantom! Ugh!", because that was the first console game I ever played through and beat, and I had to play it only during the day or when some one else was around because that mofo gave me nightmares for a week. (I have an irrational fear of lava, scorpions and aracnophobia. So, yeah, I freaked out.)

Hell of a good list, though I'm admittedly surprised that you didn't include the Black Tiger Tarantula from the Resident Evil Remake. Ah well.

That said, you REALLY looked great when the background faded to black for Limbo; it accented your shadows that gave you a rich contrast. Just saying C:

Drakmeire:
I was thinking the metal spider queen from Brutal Legend.
because IT'S A SPIDER MADE OF METAL!!!
combining two of humankind's greatest fears. giant bugs and robot uprisings.

I think Wild, Wild West killed everyone's fears of giant, mechanical spiders. Which is a shame, 'cause Brutal Legend has one awesome giant, mechanical spider. I'd run from that thing, and I'm not even afraid of spiders.

Look, can i address the issue a bit? i don't think anyone here is trying to insult Lisa Foiles in any way. I've seen some of her other work; on Youtube, Nickelodeon.etc. and personally think that she is really cool chick (i say chick ONLY because she IS rather pretty)

It's the WAY she's presenting that bothers us, namely Being too archetypically blonde. WHY is she doing that? Is she assuming that no-ones gonna watch her show if she does it in a pair of Jeans as opposed to a mini-skirt....because then she's almost insulting us by inadvertently calling us horny 13 year olds. We're not.

And yeah, please don't Suspend me. I'm just giving my 2 cents, for what its worth.

Too bad only a few amount of spiders are poisonous. And besides, what you have to worry about most is the Spider laying an egg in your mouth while you sleep.

But also Phantom is bad ass. And possibly my favorite spider thing in video games.

the videos are getting better and better each time... just imagine, one year from now, we'll be suffocating form laughing too hard ^^

no, seriously, i like how this show isn't serious - about anything ^^

but! 2 times in a row the same clothes? omg noooooo!! you cannot educate us gamers to? about? (proper preposition here??) dressing and then.. do this!
and wear a giant spider necklace *gg*

MelasZepheos:
Why comment just to say you don't like something? I'm going to ask this until I get a satisfactory result.

where's the point in just writing that you like something? isn't it sort of the same, only with exchanged algebraic signs?

please don't get me wrong on this, i don't see a point in simply saying that something sucks neither, but that got me thinking about what point there might be in saying something rocks; still i do latter and (try to) avoid the first.
damn, i hate when i don't have answers to stuff like this, makes me feel stupid -.-"

GrizzlerBorno:
Look, can i address the issue a bit? i don't think anyone here is trying to insult Lisa Foiles in any way. I've seen some of her other work; on Youtube, Nickelodeon.etc. and personally think that she is really cool chick (i say chick ONLY because she IS rather pretty)

It's the WAY she's presenting that bothers us, namely Being too archetypically blonde. WHY is she doing that? Is she assuming that no-ones gonna watch her show if she does it in a pair of Jeans as opposed to a mini-skirt....because then she's almost insulting us by inadvertently calling us horny 13 year olds. We're not.

And yeah, please don't Suspend me. I'm just giving my 2 cents, for what its worth.

what he said, especially paragraphs 2 & 3

I get bit by spiders all the time. The only power I've gain is a tolerance against hallucinogens.

GrizzlerBorno:

So since this has kind of become a referendum on Lisa Foiles and the show, here's my two cents.

I like it.

A lot.

I've said this in the comments of a couple of the previous ones but it's clearly worth repeating. I love the girly take on nerddom here. If this was a car show or a cooking show, then maybe having a hot blonde dressed like... well, a hot blonde would be somewhat sexist or demeaning or just not interesting to watch. But this is about gaming. And the stereotype here isn't that nerds like hot bubbly blondes, it's that hot bubbly blondes are not nerds in the first place.

Which is why Lisa Foiles is such a refreshing personality and her character for this show is so amusing and liberating at the same time. Everybody gets to be nerdy. The jeans and gaming t-shirt getup is not an uniform of nerdchicks, you get to be a girl and be a legit gamer (hey, I know gaming journalists that are not even aware of what EDF is, the lady has plenty of nerd cred in my book) and yeah, host a nerdy show in a corset top and low cut pants playing a bubbly blonde. And that is funny, and sarcastic and groundbreaking because it goes against expectations. If anything, the nerds frothing at the mouth with divide by zero errors flickering in their eyes are just proof that the metajoke is delivered with accuracy and effectiveness.

Plus, her delivery is great, the script is honestly funny, her timing is gorgeous and the presentation is a cut above other web shows, so there's that.

What, no love for the World of WarCraft spiders? Terokkarantula's head is as big as your character's entire body! Maexxna in Naxxramas, in addition to being HUGE, has an entire quarter of the instance dedicated to her and her brood and it will take the concerted effort of you and at least 9 of your friends to kill her.

The rocket launcher was the only useful gun in EDF 2017? Please, it was one of the lamest. That game was all about autoturrets and the cluster grenade launcher that leveled city blocks at a time.

Thanks for reminding me of a great game.

Noelveiga:
see orignal post above

hey, i didn't see it that way

thanks for letting me die a little bit less stupid ^^

No love for Demon's Souls? Neeh I understand. Demon's Souls is too hardcore for this list!

I'm sad inside ;(

Great vid.

emeraldrafael:
Too bad only a few amount of spiders are poisonous. And besides, what you have to worry about most is the Spider laying an egg in your mouth while you sleep.

But also Phantom is bad ass. And possibly my favorite spider thing in video games.

This isn't aimed at you directly, but just wanted people to realise that there's a difference between poison and venom. A poisonous animal is something that will harm you when you eat it. Venom is what an animal injects when it bites you. Sorry, but it just bugs the hell out of me...

Daystar Clarion:

emeraldrafael:

This isn't aimed at you directly, but just wanted people to realise that there's a difference between poison and venom. A poisonous animal is something that will harm you when you eat it. Venom is what an animal injects when it bites you. Sorry, but it just bugs the hell out of me...

No, no, I guet what your saying. And thank you, for the clarification, its just hte way she makes it out, if you didnt know much about spiders you should walk around and fear everyone one you see the way you'd fear a rattlesnake. BUt I suppose i shoud say toxic to humans (whether through venom or poison), and still, thats only a small fraction of spiders.

"And I qoute the internet here..."

Lol!

Great list. Would have loved to see a top five list on creepy giant spiders from movies as well.

JIst00:
Not really sure why the hate on the Top 5's. What did you really expect them to be, they're lists! Based on personal opinion.

Lisa may seem like just another piece of ditzy eye-candy talking about games, but the girl is actually quite intelligent, knows her games and has a sense of humour.

Because the people here tend to take themselves too seriously.

Spinwhiz:

Mackheath:
I kept my silence throughout this listing thing, but I am pretty darn tired of it. It's not funny, its not interesting, its not even remotely worth watching. It's the kind of MySpace garbage I came to this site to get away from. And now the Escapist fawns on it. -_-

Also...

FargoDog:
snip

What he said. And getting suspended for his blunt honesty-quite frankly- is quite sickening.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct

The rules are the rules.

He didn't disrespect the show. He gave an honest opinion on it. Sure, he could have smoothed it out a little bit, but suspending him for the much needed criticism is just harsh.
I personally like the show, even if the subject matter is kinda strange at times. But I do feel that he was just stating his emotion on a website that used to embrace and build from such criticism.

Quick comment: Lisa's diction has gotten a lot better since the first few vids, likely due to improved editing/doing more takes.

And now that those hiccups are gone it's just a great show. It combines some of my favorite activities: watching funny things, engaging with video game culture, and ogling hot ladies.

Here's hoping this show has a long run.

emeraldrafael:

Daystar Clarion:

emeraldrafael:

No, no, I guet what your saying. And thank you, for the clarification, its just hte way she makes it out, if you didnt know much about spiders you should walk around and fear everyone one you see the way you'd fear a rattlesnake. BUt I suppose i shoud say toxic to humans (whether through venom or poison), and still, thats only a small fraction of spiders.

Oh yeah, totally. In fact, the bigger the spider, the less likely it is to be poisonous, same with scorpions. It's the tiny buggers you have to watch out for.

therandombear:
Also fun fact. People eat roughly 8 spiders a year while sleeping.

Myth Busted: http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.asp

Daystar Clarion:
Snip

Yeah. Dont i know it. XD

But again,t hanks for the clarification.

Well, David Thorne definitely made this one better.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here