Mr. Omega:
...ok, I can't resist.

You're doomed! DOOMED!

I call your meme and raise you my demotivational poster! :D

Noelveiga:
snip

Okay. Sure.

May i pick some lines out:

...Lisa Foiles is such a refreshing personality and her character for this show is so amusing and liberating at the same time.

Agreed. never said otherwise.

The jeans and gaming t-shirt getup is not an uniform of nerdchicks, you get to be a girl and be a legit gamer

I won't say it's a uniform. I'll say it's norm. like casual, but nice stuff.
and "you get to be a girl and be a legit gamer" implying that she has to wear a corset to prove she's a girl? I disagree.

And that is funny, and sarcastic and groundbreaking because it goes against expectations.

Yeah....going against expectation doens't automatically make something "good". This is a common misunderstanding in our monotonous world. but again, it is down to opinion.
Thank you for posting yours.

As a dire arachnophobic, I will have to respectfully boycott this particular video.

RanD00M:
He didn't disrespect the show. He gave an honest opinion on it. Sure, he could have smoothed it out a little bit, but suspending him for the much needed criticism is just harsh.

Read the new rules please, especially point number 3: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct

I haven't really been following the exchange ITT in exact detail, but in general, I believe in constructive criticism. Even though I personally enjoy the show, I respect the opinions of those that do not follow. Modding is important, but so is free speech. Escapist has always generally been pretty good at keeping the happy medium, which is why I love the site so much. I'm not complaining/whatever, just throwing this out there FWIW.

As for spiders, well, this is the only spider I approve of.

Kimarous:

Mr. Omega:
-snip-

Nice poster. I think I got the same response to this once. What game is that from, anyway? And where did you get the template/tool for a demotivational poster?

To quote MST3K "I think her dough has risen."

She mentioned Shelob, strange enough, that made my day

great intro device. i'm amazed i made it through that video.
i can't imagine editing this, and looking through all that stock footage to boot.

GrizzlerBorno:
Look, can i address the issue a bit? i don't think anyone here is trying to insult Lisa Foiles in any way. I've seen some of her other work; on Youtube, Nickelodeon.etc. and personally think that she is really cool chick (i say chick ONLY because she IS rather pretty)

It's the WAY she's presenting that bothers us, namely Being too archetypically blonde. WHY is she doing that? Is she assuming that no-ones gonna watch her show if she does it in a pair of Jeans as opposed to a mini-skirt.....

What's worse than a feminist? A male feminist. *babum**dish* (That's a drumroll, thank you...)
That body was made for staring. At. Hence go forth and stareth.

@Topic: Me likeh'. Yay! The sound's better, too. Yay˛!

Oh, and I'd hit on her as well. Get it?

I actually just got Castlevania yesterday and i'm playing it at the moment. I haven't got to the big creepy spider yet so now at least i have a heads up.

What about the giant spider boss Bogbereth in lotro? relative to the size of your character she is the size of castle. also to defeat here you have to fight through the obligatory spider nest with tiny baby spiders and other spiders a big as you, then while your fighting here she spawns even bigger spiders. seriously look at this thing: http://kobold94.free.fr/lotro/bogbereth.jpg

How could you forget The Spider Queen from Okami!?

How do you post a youtube video in the forums?! Rage!
Edit: Fixed it.

Big black cockroaches are way scarier than any spider.

LaughingAtlas:

EDIT: Idea for those frightened of spiders; watch this breif documentary.
Effects Of Drugs And Alcohol On Spider Webs
Much to learn here, there is.

Thank you for giving me my daily dose of falling out of my chair laughing.

"Nice web, mister Crackspider..."

The spiders in Dark Messiah of might and magic... they make these spiders look like teddybears...

GrizzlerBorno:

Noelveiga:
snip

Okay. Sure.

May i pick some lines out:

Actually, no, you may not.

I mean, no offense, but there is a difference between quoting a person to break down a statement into debatable chunks and citing out of context ignoring elements that flesh out the argument or outright address the objection you are making. The distinction often gets lost on internet discussion.

Case in point:

And that is funny, and sarcastic and groundbreaking because it goes against expectations.

Yeah....going against expectation doens't automatically make something "good". This is a common misunderstanding in our monotonous world. but again, it is down to opinion.
Thank you for posting yours.

See, I didn't say that expectation made the show automatically good. I said breaking the expectation was a good thing in context. I also said that Lisa Foiles' writing, delivery and timing are great, which is what makes the show entertaining. The clash against convention is just an element of the comedy. I pointed out others, too.

We could debate the merits of going against expectation on itself, but that would sidetrack us a lot, as it would require a long, casual stroll down theories of comedy and narrative and whatnot. It is not needed, though, because that was not the point I was making.

Your other argument is also deliberately misunderstanding mine:

The jeans and gaming t-shirt getup is not an uniform of nerdchicks, you get to be a girl and be a legit gamer

I won't say it's a uniform. I'll say it's norm. like casual, but nice stuff.
and "you get to be a girl and be a legit gamer" implying that she has to wear a corset to prove she's a girl? I disagree.

Nope, that line does not imply that she has to wear a corset to prove she is a girl. It is pretty evident that she's a girl. Or that her parents have a cruel way of naming male offspring. The point is that she gets to wear a corset and be a *nerd*. Sure, there is a whiff of semantic implication in assuming her outfit is "girly" and, again, we could debate ad nauseam whether I'm making the implication, the implication is in society or even whether the implication is in itself sexist or undesirable. Thankfully, since my argument was about the clash between her looks and her taste in videogames (as presented in character) we don't have to.

She's a good comedian. She has good material. She plays around with audience expectations, reality and perception pretty well for a web show that lasts five minutes a week. I like all of those things and I think beyond taste there is a lot of objective value in doing those things in a gaming site, unhinging the gamer culture from the basement dwelling, cheeto dust-stained dork stereotype. Your mileage may vary.

So I appreciate the calm tone and the respectful attitude, but I'm still not giving a pass to distorting my arguments for the sake of discussion or to engage in incidental discussion by nitpicking out of content sentences when the entirety of my post is making a claim the nitpicking is not addressing or defusing.

The whiny voice and silly-seriousness is alright I guess. My only bone to pick is to try and be a better 'actor?' The first that comes to mind are those Youtube Teen Video Bloggers >.>

Just my 2 cents... but this video was quite enlightening, I love fighting out of proportion insectoid/arachnids!

Dexiro:
No Armor Spider from Demon Souls? That's a ton scarier than half that list.

Yeah, definitely should have been on here.

Quoting/paraphrasing myself after first fighting Armor Spider: "AH WHY DOES A GIANT SPIDER NEED TO HAVE ARMOR AND SHOOT FIRE!? A GIANT SPIDER IS TERRIFYING ENOUGH!"

I used to be arachnophobic when I was a kid.
I freaked out at the sight of them.
But at some point, that just disappeared.
Now I kinda like them because they eat insects.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

therandombear:
Isn't it the other way around? The smaller the spiders are the more venomous it is then a giant spider?

Deadliest spider is tiny Black Widow, while the Tarantula spider stings abit?

Also fun fact. People eat roughly 8 spiders a year while sleeping.

Muahahaha! lol you should probably look up how that statistic got started.

About number #3 on your list the half spider half scorpion monstrosity that you were unsure if it qualified for the list. technically both spiders and scorpions are members of the arachnida class. So there for it dose qualify for your list.

cybrid81:
The invisible spiders in System Shock 2 were way worse than any of these.

I agree.

This show is harmless I don't know why everyone is getting all dramatic about it. Scroll on by and don't watch if you don't like it. Easy as that.

This may just be my lack of sleep, but I don't think Lisa deserves half the crap she's getting for these videos. So she doesn't delve to the depths of Extra Credits, but most of the points they raise are a little too sophisticated for me to find interesting anyway. That's why I remembered I could stop watching it, which is a perfectly valid option for these videos too.*
I'd rather be watching a show that comes up with "Scary Ass WTF Stabby Spider". Seriously, if the rest of my house wasn't asleep, I'd have probably genuinely lol'd at that.

*EDIT:
Might as well ignore this first bit, the sneaky little ninja above me summarised it far better.

Hell yes to the Number 1, never have I been scared by a spider in a videogame until LIMBO where you're going through the worst nightmare journey a child could go through.

It's not just the spider impalement, it's also when it captures you and cocoons you. I was like, GAME OVER RIGHT? But no, you have to shake and move as a cocoon. Damn, Limbo had many awesome gameplay moments!

i was hoping to see the spider from limbo. even thoug its only an arcade type game its still amazing and efinetley worth the recognition.

I can't believe you didn't include the spider queen from Okami.

Oh, and just for the record - spiders are slow for their size/weight/legspan/whatever.

Star Wars Galaxies has some freaky ass spiders too!
Infact, the main questline at the end takes you to a spider lab and its filled with nothing but giant spiders that make your character look like an ant.
Then you go to Dathomir and the spiders there are, well, DAMN!!!!!!

My absolute #1 would be the spiders from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic... they have way to much detail, jump at you, can climb walls, travel in groups and can poison you D:

lol... Godwin'd at 3:12.

GoldenShadow:
Don't forget the Minecraft Spider!

Damn those things.
Damn those things eternally.

PS:
A spider with a giant eye on its back is way creepier than the others on the list, except for the Limbo one. That thing knows what you when you're alone... it watches and judges.

Awesome vid Lisa!

The worst spiders imo are the big spiders in the Thief series. Not technically "giant" but they're still extremely creepy.

Mr. Omega:

Kimarous:

Mr. Omega:
-snip-

Nice poster. I think I got the same response to this once. What game is that from, anyway? And where did you get the template/tool for a demotivational poster?

The game is Battle For Middle Earth 2 (the actual spiders being from the Goblin faction). As for the template/tool, just look in the upper-right corner. I don't want to say anything more, lest it be construed as advertisement or something.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here