Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Creepiest Giant Spiders

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Damn I hate Phantom from DMC

Felt for sure the spider from Bayonetta would have gotten a mention.

I happen to like spiders and even had a pet scorpion at one time...however I must say that camel spiders (which are not actually spiders) creep the shit out of me. Anyone who has been overseas to Afghanistan or Iraq know what I am talking about...bleh.

See, this is what we need. A talented, funny, and incredibly sexy woman spokesperson/video maker. Rebecca Maze GTFO, please (though, I guess I'm a little late).

yes.... i completaly agree with your number 1...

Considering the number of probations given out on every single one of her videos, I think Lisa Foiles is one of the Mod's girlfriend......

OT: Good show! Pretty funny, so keep it up.

Onyx Oblivion:
I hate the Dragon Age spiders. Startle the shit out of me when they drop from the ceiling with that terrible, grating sound effect.

Exactly my thoughts.

Very funny as always. Love the comedic timing, Lisa.

Interesting choices. I would have had Demon's Souls Armor Spider and the DAO spiders, hell, even the spiders in Resi 3 were creepier than several on the list. Oh, and when she compared spiders to Spetnaz made me spit soda across the room.

This one creeped me out and made me laugh a whole lot.

I would have thought a list about spiders wouldn't be that good, but it really was.

Good stuff, Lisa. Keep it up.

therandombear:
Isn't it the other way around? The smaller the spiders are the more venomous it is then a giant spider?

Deadliest spider is tiny Black Widow, while the Tarantula spider stings abit?

Also fun fact. People eat roughly 8 spiders a year while sleeping.

The Fun fact is BS. Simply not true. And the Black Widow isn't the worst. The worst is the Brazilian Wandering, with the Red-back and the Funnel-web being pretty nasty as well.

Want a really freaky fun fact? The Funnel-web can be IN your pool in places like Sydney.

I have a crazy dilemma. Lisa Foiles said I should play Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, but I don't want to play Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

And I can't believe I didn't see the Limbo spider coming. That game is utterly brilliant. Best use of sound in a game, ever. I wish she would've told everyone to play THAT game :-)

I hold this show in the part of my heart that also holds game dogs. I'll leave that open ended.

I've definitely been spoiled by cracked lists, which come every day and to me is the definition and standard to which all lists on the internet should be held. I'm not sure, but the delivery on some of them here doesn't really send me into spiraling laughter. I would offer constructive but I really don't know what sets off the funny in a list, it is some ungraspable magic essence that I myself can't even figure out. Maybe it's just hit and miss and I haven't seen enough yet.

That limbo one muxed my brain. o.o

Oh no giant spiders!

Well can't be as worse as giant spider-scorpions.

RanD00M:

Spinwhiz:

Mackheath:
I kept my silence throughout this listing thing, but I am pretty darn tired of it. It's not funny, its not interesting, its not even remotely worth watching. It's the kind of MySpace garbage I came to this site to get away from. And now the Escapist fawns on it. -_-

Also...

What he said. And getting suspended for his blunt honesty-quite frankly- is quite sickening.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct

The rules are the rules.

He didn't disrespect the show. He gave an honest opinion on it. Sure, he could have smoothed it out a little bit, but suspending him for the much needed criticism is just harsh.
I personally like the show, even if the subject matter is kinda strange at times. But I do feel that he was just stating his emotion on a website that used to embrace and build from such criticism.

Look at it from this perspective. Your friend puts on a show about the history of apples for the Apple Society & you have been invited to watch. You don't care about apples, nor the manner it is done in but nevertheless the show does what it says on the tin & out of courtesy you go.
Apple Soc enjoy the show and it's content - you however did not. Would you then consider to harshly criticise your friend just because the content & the way the show was done in isn't to your liking? Of course not.
If you see something which you dislike & yet it is not offensive, just move on. No one here (other than the critics & people who run the site) is in a position to give some bombastic rant about why such a show deserves to be written off just because it doesn't cater to their personal preference. Too many people believe that just because they personally didn't find any enjoyment in something it means it's the worst game/show/music/person ever.
If it's not offensive and is simply just not to your liking, let's be mature and just move on; the world doesn't revolve around a single person & their tastes.

If she thinks those spiders are badass, she should try taking on some of the spiders in Australia!

Edit:

JRiseley:

therandombear:
Isn't it the other way around? The smaller the spiders are the more venomous it is then a giant spider?

Deadliest spider is tiny Black Widow, while the Tarantula spider stings abit?

Also fun fact. People eat roughly 8 spiders a year while sleeping.

The Fun fact is BS. Simply not true. And the Black Widow isn't the worst. The worst is the Brazilian Wandering, with the Red-back and the Funnel-web being pretty nasty as well.

Want a really freaky fun fact? The Funnel-web can be IN your pool in places like Sydney.

Stolen from Cracked.com about the Brazilian Wandering Spider:

And the Sydney Funnel Web Spider looks like a pissed off version of Hell.

Optimystic:
@ the Lisa haters: Why are you comparing this show to Extra Credits? They are nothing alike and were never intended to be.

diebane:
Lisa Foiles, I am disappoint! I've expected these half bionic deamon spiders from Painkiller. At the same time, I have to say they're not that giant.

Nothing in Painkiller is scary. You have a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning!

I don't know, the asylum level with the zombie mental patients that crawl on walls are pretty freaky. Also there are those ghosts in that very strange eerie depiction of hell.

Spiders < Scorpions

Lisa Foiles I watched a five minute show about the one thing in the world that creeps me the eff out. Congrats. Also, in an unrelated note, I won't be falling asleep very easily tonight.

I hate catching those spiders on Lords of Shadows and riding them. It makes them even more creepy with the way they walk..

OT: When did the Escapist mods turn into the happy police? I can understand why some people got put on probation or suspended for saying they didn't like Lisa Foiles. I mean the first couple of people were just flat out mean. However the third guy was just commenting on the fact people were getting banned. That just seems...wrong. I am sure I'll get suspended/put on probation/banned for saying this but that just seems kinda wrong. Surely there is a better way to handle this issue, if you want to call it an issue.

EDIT:

GrizzlerBorno:
Wow, this thread is just a bit creepy.

I didn't watch the videos about fashion or whatever, because they were du;I mean "not specifically catering to my area of interests" >_>

But this one was okay...... has room for impr...*AHEM*..hmm, yes, what was that? never mind, i didn't say anything, I'll be going now. Is it chilly in here? I feel chilly. I'll just....show myself out.....of this thread...about a video....which is AWESOME!! Great!

Yeah...the internet is such a cold place. Get it...get it?

Eh..that joke probably only makes sense if you live in the American Midwest...

Spetnaz spiders... Now I'm afraid.

Spinwhiz:

Babitz:
Basically, you're saying we should reply with kind words or gtfo?

Yeah, constructive criticism is alright, but just saying you don't like something isn't?
Yet if someone praised it without saying anything worthwhile (like most people on these comments do), then it's just fine, right?

Our site, our rules. We will not allow ranting and negativity for the sake of allowing someone to just complain. Very few people stop at "meh, not for me". There are plenty of sites where rants and flaming of content and people are allowed, this isn't one of them.

I return to the old adage: "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all." The internet may give people the right to be rude, but this site does not.

The issue there is that by simply leaving it at a few words you're contravening a different rule and likely to get in some way punished for that.

Also, rule 3 states that constructive criticism is allowed, but what constitutes constructive criticism is generally subjective. What does the escapist actually define as "constructive criticism"? This isn't specifically about the earlier poster (although the reasons for disliking the show are explained which is somewhat constructive), it's more that the vague grey areas in the rules seem to be being exploited to enable censorship of all negative comments.

The message I'm getting from comments is that you can say you dislike a show as long as you're not too negative and keep it brief... but not too brief. Again, this isn't in direct reference to the earlier post, I'm simply stating that it seems like people are concerned about making any kind of negative comment about a series for fear of reprisal which fails to provide any kind of discussion value to a thread.

I know, I know, your site, your rules...

As for my opinion on the show, It's OK I guess. Some of the jokes fall a bit flat at times and occasionally Lisa seems to revert to being a parody of herself, but it has its moments and the production values are excellent as a general rule.

I didn't expect much from this show when it started but it seems like it's getting better with each episode. Keep up the good work!

No Silitha?, that Darksiders' boss is just awesome and creepy.

I'm glad you included Phantom, great list.

Captain-Giggles:
Although not true spiders, I always felt the Paramites from the Oddworld series were arachnoid enough to seem like one, and freak me out with their hissing.

Paramites definitely count. The thing that made them scariest to me is that they fake you out and run away at first. Then when they get caught in a corner or get a buddy they tear your ass apart. Scariest creature in oddworld and they should've made the list.

Also, I would have replaced one of these spiders with the spiders from Drakan. When you first fight them they're the size of small dogs. When you see them again they go from small dog to bus sized in one huge swarm. *shudder* I almost gave up on that game when I got in that cave.

I would've added the creepy ass acid spitting spiders from Resident Evil and the giant spiders from Thief to the list. I still have nightmares about playing the game at night in the dark, roaming around a decaying city full of zombies at night, stealthily sneaking down into a dark cellar, and as my eyes slowly adjusted I realized the dark brown shape in front of me started moving. When you realize you've just dropped in on a spider with a good eight foot leg span, it gives you a good jump.

Dr.Sean:
Spiders < Scorpions

Spiders < Scorpions < Rad Scorpions

I personally love spiders. I've found them fascinating ever since I was bit several times on the leg by a brown recluse, so I always try to let the spiders I find in my house out, and feel bad about killing them in games.

Also, people are getting suspended like crazy over these videos. To be honest, I find the lists themselves interesting, but I think the jokes fall a little flat because she seems too aware of the fact that she's trying to be funny. I mean, how many jokes did she explain in that episode alone in an attempt to make them funnier?

I hope that counts as constructive.

firey f@#k you laser killed me. That at WTF Stabby spider. I have to agree with the list. Except the Lords of Shadow Spider was too high. Phantom was scarier IMHO. Another great episode Lisa.

I expected the spider from zelda but I didn't think it would be the one from twilight's princess. I was banking on the one from Ocarina of time, which I find way more scary (probably because you don't get such a good look at it, so you have to use your imagination.)
Also, a whole lot of people are getting suspended for posting that they find this show lacking. That's kindof scary. I mean, they stated their reasons as to their dislike of the specific show, just as posters who enjoyed the show stated why. I don't know the forum rules, so I'm probably missing something. Please don't suspend me.

I know one of the best ways of getting a point across is to provide examples and I can think of plenty of things that need examples, but all the lists provided cover incredibly minor issues. I mean, Creepiest giant spiders? Seriously? Why not Top 5 Greatest Non-Violent Games, or Top 5 Emotional Games, or Top 5 Most Heartstring-pulling Moments in Videogames? You know, get a message across. To be honest, I'm just not sure what this Top 5 thing is for or what you're trying to accomplish. At best, it's a good 5-minute distraction if nothing else. I'm just trying to be polite.

@TheModWhoKeepsDeletingPosts:

Here it the post of the gentleman who posted before me.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.254721.9530449

And the stuff from my deleted post:
Check out the reason Frozen Donkey is on probation-oh wait you can't.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.254980.9530101

You won't convince people to watch the show by deleting their posts.
Some of the users (Obviously not counting the one who said that Lisa Foiles should die) made valid constructive criticisms but their posts were deleted. Why? What rule are they breaking now? Is this a common practice by moderators?

I willing to discuss this in a PM if you choose to do so.

OT: My personal favorite was the Top 5 Craziest Footwear tbh.

Armored Prayer:

And like hell I would trade my precious Black Ops for some boring looking generic hack and slash.

Well you'd really just be trading a boring generic looking fps for a boring looking generic hack n slash so it doesn't matter really.

Honestly I don't like this show. I think limiting the show to just top 5 count downs is too restricting. honestly feel more research could be put into it because every time I watch I feel there are major contenders that are left unlisted. Last negative thing I have to say is that many comments the actress makes feels like pandering (For example, the black ops comment) and I found it insulting to viewers intelligence.

On the other hand I do feel the actress and the show has allot of potential and with a few changes could be great.

Spinwhiz:

Mackheath:
I kept my silence throughout this listing thing, but I am pretty darn tired of it. It's not funny, its not interesting, its not even remotely worth watching. It's the kind of MySpace garbage I came to this site to get away from. And now the Escapist fawns on it. -_-

Also...

FargoDog:
snip

What he said. And getting suspended for his blunt honesty-quite frankly- is quite sickening.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct

The rules are the rules.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but no one is entitled to attack others for sharing, or not sharing, that opinion.

Yes, the rules are rules. These gentlemen have done little than put forward their opinion that does not shower the video in praise. They have not verbally abused anyone and are being mature about it.

It seems to me that the mods who suspended the posters who arent all smiles and happiness are in violation of the very rules they are trying to uphold. Clamping down on free speach so that the community rings out with only one voice is attacking those who dont share it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here