Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Creepiest Giant Spiders

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Spinwhiz:

Mackheath:
I kept my silence throughout this listing thing, but I am pretty darn tired of it. It's not funny, its not interesting, its not even remotely worth watching. It's the kind of MySpace garbage I came to this site to get away from. And now the Escapist fawns on it. -_-

Also...

FargoDog:
snip

What he said. And getting suspended for his blunt honesty-quite frankly- is quite sickening.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct

The rules are the rules.

I dunno... I mean, I got put on probation once for saying I didn't like the show. Nothing more, nothing less. That's hardly fair, now is it?

Babitz:
Basically, you're saying we should reply with kind words or gtfo?

Did you even read the rules? Saying, "I don't like this." will get you banned. Giving constructive criticism, like suggesting a spider she may have missed will not get you banned.

Yeah, constructive criticism is alright, but just saying you don't like something isn't?

Apparently you did read the rules. So why did you feel the need to lie about them? Why lie about the rules to complain about them?

Yet if someone praised it without saying anything worthwhile (like most people on these comments do), then it's just fine, right?

It's a double standard and an annoying one.

Yes. If two people do two different things, they will be treated differently.

Why is this confusing?

Lol people are getting suspended like crazy for not liking this. Who cares if the comments are negative it's just another thread no?

MelasZepheos:

Why comment just to say you don't like something? I'm going to ask this until I get a satisfactory result.

where's the point in just writing that you like something?

To show gratitude to the people who took the time out of their day to make something you enjoyed.

isn't it sort of the same, only with exchanged algebraic signs?

That's like saying a paycheck and a bill are the same thing.

GoldenShadow:
Don't forget the Minecraft Spider!

Exactly what I thought.

antigodoflife:
I like the part where she hit herself -unimpressed look on my face-

GoldenShadow:
Don't forget the Minecraft Spider!

It reminds me more of a bat... a jumping / gliding bat

They're some weird spiders you're thinking of man. I think you might be looking at these things called bats.

Mazty:

RanD00M:

Spinwhiz:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct

The rules are the rules.

He didn't disrespect the show. He gave an honest opinion on it. Sure, he could have smoothed it out a little bit, but suspending him for the much needed criticism is just harsh.
I personally like the show, even if the subject matter is kinda strange at times. But I do feel that he was just stating his emotion on a website that used to embrace and build from such criticism.

Look at it from this perspective. Your friend puts on a show about the history of apples for the Apple Society & you have been invited to watch. You don't care about apples, nor the manner it is done in but nevertheless the show does what it says on the tin & out of courtesy you go.
Apple Soc enjoy the show and it's content - you however did not. Would you then consider to harshly criticise your friend just because the content & the way the show was done in isn't to your liking? Of course not.
If you see something which you dislike & yet it is not offensive, just move on. No one here (other than the critics & people who run the site) is in a position to give some bombastic rant about why such a show deserves to be written off just because it doesn't cater to their personal preference. Too many people believe that just because they personally didn't find any enjoyment in something it means it's the worst game/show/music/person ever.
If it's not offensive and is simply just not to your liking, let's be mature and just move on; the world doesn't revolve around a single person & their tastes.

This isn't the apple society this is a website about video games, and people watch these video to see content about video games. If it's garbage then it should be said so no?

this is the first video I've actually watched from her...hmmm que es este

LOL hey it's the David Thorne spider! (at 00:44)

Does Queen Gohma from The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time count as a spider? Because, I always thought she was pretty terrifying. You only have three hearts, very little in the way of weapons, and you are still a little kid.

Also, I thought all these videos were going to be about fashion. Now anything could be the subject of the next video.

The Escapist can be annoying with its overzealous mods and "don't hurt our feelings" rule policies. I can understand punishing people for blatant trolling, but too often I see people being struck down just for being negative. It's the internet; you can make up all the special rules you want, but if you think they're eventually going to stop people from being harsh, you're wrong. All you're doing is feeding the trolls and losing the respect of people who know how ridiculous and futile it is to police comments so strictly.

On the plus side, at least the content usually makes up for the forum shenanigans. I went into this series with pretty low expectations, but I've watched and enjoyed every episode now, and it's actually become one of my favourite video series here. The comedic timing is spot-on; the jokes are all more amusing than funny, but you never spend more time on one than it's worth, so it works anyway.

The people who think the series should be about more serious topics are missing the point entirely; it's supposed to be goofy and easygoing, and it's supposed to have dumb topics. There's no conceivable reason for this series to try to be like Extra Credits. But if you really think that, then dammit, you should be able to say it anyway.

I'm not really interested in this show but this one was a little better than the others.

Excellent choice for #1, that thing creeped me the the hell out! And I have spiders around IRL every day. Seriously, there's a big one somewhere in my bedroom right now...it's made it it's hunting ground.

Also, don't slap spiders that are on you. That makes them bite. This is your one warning!

Im sad the creepy malice spider boss from Shadow Hearts Covenant didnt get in the top 5.

Citrus Insanity:
The Escapist can be annoying with its overzealous mods and "don't hurt our feelings" rule policies. I can understand punishing people for blatant trolling, but too often I see people being struck down just for being negative. It's the internet; you can make up all the special rules you want, but if you think they're eventually going to stop people from being harsh, you're wrong. All you're doing is feeding the trolls and losing the respect of people who know how ridiculous and futile it is to police comments so strictly.

On the plus side, at least the content usually makes up for the forum shenanigans. I went into this series with pretty low expectations, but I've watched and enjoyed every episode now, and it's actually become one of my favourite video series here. The comedic timing is spot-on; the jokes are all more amusing than funny, but you never spend more time on one than it's worth, so it works anyway.

The people who think the series should be about more serious topics are missing the point entirely; it's supposed to be goofy and easygoing, and it's supposed to have dumb topics. There's no conceivable reason for this series to try to be like Extra Credits. But if you really think that, then dammit, you should be able to say it anyway.

I think the problem is as follows:

"I think you should address more relevant topics, and you come across as the blonde girl in high school I never liked, maybe a little less happiness and crushes?"

is NOT equal to:

"Gah! I've stalked this series up to now, and you're CLEARLY never going to change! You keep addressing vapid topics that only reflect you as a human being! I've HAD IT with this damn show!"

See, I hate to use sweeping generalizations, but this thread is good proof that NO ONE on this site understands what tact is.

(By the way, I love this show as is, and if the higher minded Escapists can't stand this show's existence and want it gone, then this site deserves the branding it has as "Most Elitist Forum".)

alex8039:
This isn't the apple society this is a website about video games, and people watch these video to see content about video games. If it's garbage then it should be said so no?

If all you are going to say is, "It's garbage." then no, you can keep that to yourself.

If you are going to give constructive criticism, then go for it.

But considering how hard this is for some people to grasp, they should avoid trying to figure out what constructive criticism is. They will be banned too many times in the process of trial and error.

C.S.Strowbridge:

alex8039:

If all you are going to say is, "It's garbage." then no, you can keep that to yourself.

But considering how hard this is for some people to grasp, they should avoid trying to figure out what constructive criticism is. They will be banned too many times in the process of trial and error.

There's no constructive criticism to give, the whole idea is genuinely terrible, everything about it. I had no idea EM was a fascist website :/

alex8039:

C.S.Strowbridge:

alex8039:

There's no constructive criticism to give, the whole idea is genuinely terrible, everything about it. I had no idea EM was a fascist website :/

Godwin's Law: You have completed it.

If the idea is so awful you can't see any redeemable qualities in it, then stop watching and don't comment. Those who enjoy it will, those who have ideas of what to do with it will give them, and you won't get suspended. Everyone wins.

lacktheknack:

alex8039:

C.S.Strowbridge:

If the idea is so awful you can't see any redeemable qualities in it, then stop watching and don't comment. Those who enjoy it will, those who have ideas of what to do with it will give them, and you won't get suspended. Everyone wins.

Fascism is not specifically to do with Godwin's Law, nice try tho. It is fascist to censor people for having an opinion, one that is not harmful. Don't read the comments how about that?

I for one happen to despise Extra Credits (is it like an intellectual statement to keep referring to that show as the friggin gospel of em?) since it is no different then some chats I have with friends, except I get to interact a bit with said debate rather then being preached to.

Top 5 is a good slice of entertainment and i've warmed to it, it does what it says on the tin. I was actually looking forward to it this week and think i'm now officially sold on the show.

I'd say the spider from Ocarina of Time was way scarier than the one in Twilight Princess. Mainly because of the dark lighting and music.

alex8039:

lacktheknack:

alex8039:

Fascism is not specifically to do with Godwin's Law, nice try tho. It is fascist to censor people for having an opinion, one that is not harmful. Don't read the comments how about that?

No more than anyone reads my comments. As in, they do, and think it's utter trash.

alex8039:

C.S.Strowbridge:

There's no constructive criticism to give...

If you have no constructive criticism to give, then shut up. That's the rules.

Got it?

I had no idea EM was a fascist website :/

Perhaps you should look up the definition of fascism. (I'll give you a hint, it's a form of government and doesn't apply to EM.)

On second thought, just take my first bit of advice and shut up. It's the only way you get out of this conversation without being banned.

By the way, I'm trying to be polite here, honestly. I'm not trying to start a flame war. And yes, telling Alex to shut up is friendly advice. It's blunt, but I figure I needed to be so he wouldn't continue attacking the site, which also against the rules.

How about Doom's Spider-Demon Mastermind?
They are Demons adapted cybernetically as Spiders, and have machine-guns that can hit you from a mile away!

alex8039:

Don't like the video, don't watch it. How about that?

Seriously?

If you must complain, then start a blog and complain on your own site.

C.S.Strowbridge:

alex8039:

C.S.Strowbridge:

Got it?

Perhaps you should look up the definition of fascism. (I'll give you a hint, it's a form of government and doesn't apply to EM.)

On second thought, just take my first bit of advice and shut up. It's the only way you get out of this conversation without being banned.

By the way, I'm trying to be polite here, honestly. I'm not trying to start a flame war. And yes, telling Alex to shut up is friendly advice. It's blunt, but I figure I needed to be so he wouldn't continue attacking the site, which also against the rules.

Shut up is not an adult way to argue, just makes you look too stupid to come up with words for what you want to say.
In fact rule one you broke, rule two you broke, rule four you broke.
3 strikes anyone?

*sighs* Such hate on Lisa...

I don't get what the fuss is about. If you ask me, people put too many high expectations on this show. Comparing it to Extra Credits? Really? One is to make you think, one is to entertain. It's that simple.

As for the people who got suspended, they've done constructive criticism but then they screwed up. There's a big difference between constructive criticism and calling something just straight trash. Which is an insult. And part of rule 2.

How about people just not stop at what they dislike about it and explain what could possibly make it better? If you're still not sure that you can suggest anything? Well, sucks to be you, don't it?

OT: I like Lisa. The show is fun and entertaining. I haven't watched this one yet 'cause this computer is being an ass. I'll take a look on a faster compy and then bring a proper comment.

Also, fock spiders! One of my fave authors told a story about how she found a spider in her kitchen that she trapped under a glass to try and take outside. But then after a moment, she suddenly saw all these baby spiders hopping off of mom. Dozens of them. She decided then that all spiders were dead if they entered her home.

I'm with her.

ekkaman:

In fact rule one you broke, rule two you broke, rule four you broke.
3 strikes anyone?

If you think I broke the rules, report me.

alex8039:

C.S.Strowbridge:

Lol ok white knight noobie thanks for pointing that out.

I've been here longer than you have. But that's for going for a personal attack.

Perhaps YOU should look it up first. Only allowing positive comments to be made regarding something you want to glorify is a staple fascistic tactic.

Are you illiterate? How many times must the rules be explained to you.

Constructive criticism = Okay.
"It's garbage" = Banned.

Got it?

You can post negative comments, as long as they are constructive.

Secondly, this is not a political organization. It can no more be fascist than it can be parliamentarian.

This was the first episode of Lisa Foiles I've seen. Is it just me, or is it a bit... fanservice-y? Not that I mind, just asking...

C.S.Strowbridge:

alex8039:

C.S.Strowbridge:

Got it?

A very, VERY easy comparison can be made to EM's political structure (Mods) and fascism (To be fair, this is typically the same in every forum "This is not a democracy" rings loudly).
Not trying to start a flame war? You are openly telling people to shut up. You are simply baiting people into taking side against the ruling class so they can stop being reasonable in the portrayal of their opinions and be put on probation/banned/whatever for being legitimately abusive in counter to your trolling.

That's basically what you're doing. You also seem very high and mighty for someone particularly new around here, and while I'm no subscriber to the idea that "Post-count is directly proportionate to the weight behind the statement made by the user" ironically you have a definitive sense of elitism emanating from you. Once again, more bait to elicit response.

So, I suppose I have to give it to you, you made me respond. But I figure before everyone not adoring Top Five not already struck down by the Mods is put on probation/suspended/banned, I may as well throw in my opinion of the Hive-mind that the Escapist is becoming in terms of forums.

Good job, Lisa, this video was much better than the others. The pacing was much more solid and consistent. The slapstick with you trying to kill the spider was a nice little touch, thats not to say it should become formalistic, but it was good this time around. You seemed much more comfortable and effortless. I see the beginnings of some more subtle comedy.

I did not like the other episodes, but I found this one rather entertaining.

Hey, escapist, maybe Pub Club members can have un-bleeped videos?

Edit: This is the first top five episode that didn't make me feel like I was watching a show made for tweens

Great editing job for Limbo loved the spider killing boy scene. And yes Lisa was awesome like always.

Elesar:
You don't like spiders?

Don't look up Ungoliant on google images. Trust me on that.

I second that. I did precisely that..out of interest of the Tolkien Universe....and...yea..Nightmares. Don't do it.

Best episode yet. I'm not a big fan of this show but this was a genuinely funny episode. Plus, despite my arachnophobia, I'm fascinated by spiders, so this is naturally right up my alley.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here