Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Creepiest Giant Spiders

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

A lot of the forum posts in the previous one were a) Complaining the show was too based on fashion etc, and b) complimenting the ah, "feminine" touch added by Lisa.
So she came up with a topic that worked with both. Nice to know she reads this stuff. Your work is not my cup of tea, Ms Foiles, but you are excellent at working with the crowd. :P

Pyromania192:

A very, VERY easy comparison can be made to EM's political structure (Mods) and fascism (To be fair, this is typically the same in every forum "This is not a democracy" rings loudly).

Only if you take the term politics and change its definition mid-argument. There's politics, as in inter-personal interactions, which obviously exist here. Then there's politics, as in a form of government. There is no government here, therefore, it can't be fascist. (And that's not bringing up the tenuous connection between fascism and censorship to begin with. Or the fact that the rules do in fact allow dissent.)

You could make comparisons, but they are not the same. I can compare movies and video games, but they are not the same. "The Expendables" is not an FPS. You could say they have a lot of similarities, but they are not the same.

Not trying to start a flame war? You are openly telling people to shut up.

I'm not telling people to shut up, I'm telling them that if they want to mindlessly complain, they they should shut up instead. And that's what the rules tell people to do. I'm being blunt about it, because apparently being subtle isn't working.

Seriously, how many times must the rules be explained before you conclude the other person is unwilling, or incapable, of understanding them?

The rules say that if constructive criticism is allowed, but saying, "This is garbage" is not. If you want to offer ways to make the show better, great. If you just want to complain, you can get banned.

It's not that hard to understand.

If they keep breaking the rules, they can get banned, which will shut them up permanently. (At least on this site.)

You are simply baiting people into taking side against the ruling class so they can stop being reasonable in the portrayal of their opinions and be put on probation/banned/whatever for being legitimately abusive in counter to your trolling.

So explaining the rules is baiting? If I explain the rules, others will be FORCED to attack the rules?

How does that work? I would love to know, so I can use my magical powers of mind control for good, or at least personal gain.

The rules say you are not allowed to give me you bank information. Mwa ha ha!

By the way, that was a serious question. How is explaining the rules baiting?

That's basically what you're doing. You also seem very high and mighty for someone particularly new around here, and while I'm no subscriber to the idea that "Post-count is directly proportionate to the weight behind the statement made by the user"

Really? So why did you bring up my post count?

ironically you have a definitive sense of elitism emanating from you.

I don't think that's ironic. Although ever since than Alanis Morissette song came out, I've been confused about the exact definition of that word and where it truly applies.

Once again, more bait to elicit response.

So, I suppose I have to give it to you, you made me respond.

I didn't make you do a thing.

But I figure before everyone not adoring Top Five not already struck down by the Mods is put on probation/suspended/banned, I may as well throw in my opinion of the Hive-mind that the Escapist is becoming in terms of forums.

Good way to end your post.

You attacked the mods, you lied about the rules, and you insulted The Escapist.

Again, you can dissent. You just have to offer constructive criticism.

seriously? only number four was the least bit creepy as far as the spiders on the list go. hell, the pics of real spiders were creepier. the spiders in Dragon Age, now THOSE are creepy. my stomache actually churns when i see them, so you can imagine doing the side-quest for the Mage origin story was a bit unsettling for me. it only gets worse with the poisonous and queen variants...

now that i think about it, i'm probably only afraid of DA spiders because they actually ressemble real spiders right down to the fur.

On a non-rule related, more on-topicy note...

Am I the only one here that loves spiders? Especially jumping spiders. They look awesome.

Granted, where I live there are no actually dangerous spiders. So there's nothing rational to fear about them. On the other hand, if you live somewhere warm, it would be rational to be at least a little cautious of them.

Best video yet! Quite an interesting topic and a hilarious execution of it. :)Keep up the good work Miss Foiles.

Jandau:
This was the first episode of Lisa Foiles I've seen. Is it just me, or is it a bit... fanservice-y? Not that I mind, just asking...

... How to be delicate here?

Hmmm... I wouldn't call it fanservice-y, because there's little Miss Foiles can do about her "physical attributes" and she's not wearing clothing that's particularly revealing, or using lurid camera angles.

Jandau:
This was the first episode of Lisa Foiles I've seen. Is it just me, or is it a bit... fanservice-y? Not that I mind, just asking...

What kind of fan service are you referring to? The fleshy kind?

SOOO happy the spider from 27bslash6 made an appearance.

I Thought this spider may have made the cut

C.S.Strowbridge:

Pyromania192:

A very, VERY easy comparison can be made to EM's political structure (Mods) and fascism (To be fair, this is typically the same in every forum "This is not a democracy" rings loudly).

Only if you take the term politics and change its definition mid-argument. There's politics, as in inter-personal interactions, which obviously exist here. Then there's politics, as in a form of government. There is no government here, therefore, it can't be fascist. (And that's not bringing up the tenuous connection between fascism and censorship to begin with. Or the fact that the rules do in fact allow dissent.)

You could make comparisons, but they are not the same. I can compare movies and video games, but they are not the same. "The Expendables" is not an FPS. You could say they have a lot of similarities, but they are not the same.

Not trying to start a flame war? You are openly telling people to shut up.

I'm not telling people to shut up, I'm telling them that if they want to mindlessly complain, they they should shut up instead. And that's what the rules tell people to do. I'm being blunt about it, because apparently being subtle isn't working.

Seriously, how many times must the rules be explained before you conclude the other person is unwilling, or incapable, of understanding them?

The rules say that if constructive criticism is allowed, but saying, "This is garbage" is not. If you want to offer ways to make the show better, great. If you just want to complain, you can get banned.

It's not that hard to understand.

If they keep breaking the rules, they can get banned, which will shut them up permanently. (At least on this site.)

You are simply baiting people into taking side against the ruling class so they can stop being reasonable in the portrayal of their opinions and be put on probation/banned/whatever for being legitimately abusive in counter to your trolling.

So explaining the rules is baiting? If I explain the rules, others will be FORCED to attack the rules?

How does that work? I would love to know, so I can use my magical powers of mind control for good, or at least personal gain.

The rules say you are not allowed to give me you bank information. Mwa ha ha!

By the way, that was a serious question. How is explaining the rules baiting?

That's basically what you're doing. You also seem very high and mighty for someone particularly new around here, and while I'm no subscriber to the idea that "Post-count is directly proportionate to the weight behind the statement made by the user"

Really? So why did you bring up my post count?

ironically you have a definitive sense of elitism emanating from you.

I don't think that's ironic. Although ever since than Alanis Morissette song came out, I've been confused about the exact definition of that word and where it truly applies.

Once again, more bait to elicit response.

So, I suppose I have to give it to you, you made me respond.

I didn't make you do a thing.

But I figure before everyone not adoring Top Five not already struck down by the Mods is put on probation/suspended/banned, I may as well throw in my opinion of the Hive-mind that the Escapist is becoming in terms of forums.

Ok this may be long..

I refer to politics in a sense that I believe Wikipedia best surmises:

[Quote]a process by which groups of people make collective decisions. The term is generally applied to the art or science of running governmental or state affairs. It also refers to behavior within civil governments, but politics has been observed in other group interactions, including corporate, academic, and religious institutions.[/quote]

That is, politics exist outside of a government - and I'm using it as a term used to refer to the struggle over power (Can be used in a phrase such as: 'I'm so sick of this political crap!' when the instance in particular has nothing to do with Government. Its more a bastardisation/manipulation of the initial meaning of the phrase but its not uncommon in a modern vernacular.)

In this instance, the struggle for power is between the 'ruling class' the Mods who interpret the rules (and in my opinion, apply the banhammer somewhat liberally.) and those who dislike the topic at hand for whatever reason, valid or not. I'l admit that Fascist was probably a bit over the top for me to endorse, we're hardly being dragged off to work camps in the dead of night for being different. (I didn't read deeply enough into the post deletion thing of arguably constructively critical comments to say weather here nor there so I wont go into that.)

No one's saying the Mods have an easy job, but from the perspective of someone who isn't mad for Top 5 with Lisa Foiles seems like the rule being applied is: If its not praise, its probation-worthy. The whole 'If you don't like it don't comment' idea is fundamentally flawed - Typically, people like to try and offer their opinions into how things can be made better if they see potential for bigger things from them. Those who go 'Its bad IMO, but I'm not going to waste my typing time because they wont change' are being either passive or cynical.

Of course this brings in the issue with personal boundary lines set by everyone as to what constitutes constructive criticism as opposed to just tearing the series down. Replies that offer no advice as to how to improve such as the "Its shit" one (Or something like it, it got deleted, I didn't see it, so its a paraphrase) are obviously not constructive, and unless we're being asinine we can all agree those can be ignored.

If they keep breaking the rules, they can get banned, which will shut them up permanently.

No-one questions this, the rules are the rules. And they are there to be enforced by the Mods and Admins. There are enough of them that others dont need to worry about what basically amounts to vigilantism. If you think there's an issue, then the report button is right there under every post. This seems to be the root of a few of your points: the rules. You do not need to keep reminding everyone. We all get it. If you have an issue with a post, hit report and it will be looked into.

This is why you come across to me as being elitist - the sticking to your guns about the rules and how they must be upheld here actively puts you in the same basket as those who actually have power - It just comes across as sucking up to the mods. You might not be, but you sure as hell give off the vibe. Consider it what I'l coin from hereon the 'Teachers pet' effect.

Insulting the Escapist maybe, but I believe constructive none-the-less. The core basis of my point is that if you look across this thread all you see is praise for Top 5, people on probation/suspension/banned and rules arguments stemming from this. When one side of the discussion is incurring the wrath of the mods, then selective breeding is placed into effect until universal praise is all can be spoken of anything on the Escapist (I'm reminded of an old Star Trek episode - 'Peace and Tranquility friend').

Of course, this is an exaggeration. The fact that this argument over the rules has been allowed to go on by the mods can mean one of two things to me (at first though, there may be many more if someone would like to offer their opinion) 1: The mods are just quite strict on what is considered constructive criticism and are not out to create a single praising view on all work done. 2: They are asleep and I am impending, along with others, some form of punishment for discussion.

spiders and scorpions are closly related

I'm surprised that the Giant spider from Dark Messiah isn't in this list. It would have to be near the top in my books.

Dexiro:
No Armor Spider from Demon Souls? That's a ton scarier than half that list.

At the same time the easiest boss in DS and the only one I have yet not to cheese. Every time I walk up to him he effectively convinces me to go back to my sticky long bow.

Still, nice episode. And I will play Castlevania LoS when I get to it. I promise.

You know......Lisa should do "Top 5 tentacles monsters"

I think it's funny how people are getting punished for disliking this show after pretty much the entirety of Game Dogs comment threads were filled with hate messages.
Coughdoublestandardcough.
But I must admit I find the show somewhat entertaining.
However, spiders are scary? You just squish them... and they're gone... that simple.

alex8039:

Mazty:

RanD00M:

He didn't disrespect the show. He gave an honest opinion on it. Sure, he could have smoothed it out a little bit, but suspending him for the much needed criticism is just harsh.
I personally like the show, even if the subject matter is kinda strange at times. But I do feel that he was just stating his emotion on a website that used to embrace and build from such criticism.

Look at it from this perspective. Your friend puts on a show about the history of apples for the Apple Society & you have been invited to watch. You don't care about apples, nor the manner it is done in but nevertheless the show does what it says on the tin & out of courtesy you go.
Apple Soc enjoy the show and it's content - you however did not. Would you then consider to harshly criticise your friend just because the content & the way the show was done in isn't to your liking? Of course not.
If you see something which you dislike & yet it is not offensive, just move on. No one here (other than the critics & people who run the site) is in a position to give some bombastic rant about why such a show deserves to be written off just because it doesn't cater to their personal preference. Too many people believe that just because they personally didn't find any enjoyment in something it means it's the worst game/show/music/person ever.
If it's not offensive and is simply just not to your liking, let's be mature and just move on; the world doesn't revolve around a single person & their tastes.

This isn't the apple society this is a website about video games, and people watch these video to see content about video games. If it's garbage then it should be said so no?

But who are you to deem what is garbage and what is not? Are you a renown critic or industry publisher?

Well, safe to say it now feels like my whole skin is cralling...

MelasZepheos:
Why comment just to say you don't like something? I'm going to ask this until I get a satisfactory result.

The Escapist is, obviously, catering to the needs of an audience. If an audience don't like it, I think it's best for people to express it so that the staff here can try to improve the website if enough complains about a certain series are listed to warrant change.

I myself am on this 'bandwagon'. I simply do not believe that this series would have kicked-off, or at least need anywhere near as popular, if they did not have an attractive girl presenting it. I think the series needs to find something of it's own besides the lists, every little series running on the Escapist has something of it's own style that keeps people interested. Even things I didn't particularly like had aspects of them that differed from the rest of the videos on the 'site.

I don't have anything wrong with Lisa wearing little skirts and curve-hugging tops because she's attractive: if I find something that compliments my body-type I'll wear the shit out of it too. What the issue for me is that this show is considered good by a lot of people simply because it 'goes against a stereotype' of including an attractive, blonde girl. This isn't enough to carry a miniature series week after week in my opinion. This is why they need to find something else to rely on, rather than just "Aren't I edgy because I'm attractive and play with nerd-toys?"

We've had women on the Escapist before, if I'm not mistaken? Why do we need to be constantly reminded of the 'girliness' of this particular woman? I just don't see the stereotype-blonde act to be anything but an act, so the only way this show differs from the other one's that include a woman is that it's suddenly considered a big deal that there's a woman in it. I consider this counter-productive to the whole idea of 'women are Gamers too, yo.'

Just my thoughts on the show, with constructive criticism, and - I personally believe - a fairly balanced opinion.
While I understand why people have been suspended for there posts against this show it terms of the 'forum rules', I'm sure I saw comments several times worse than this for GameDogs and there wasn't quite the probation-spree.

Ashsaver:
You know......Lisa should do "Top 5 tentacles monsters"

LMAO If she ever does that i think it is a better idea to turn of the comment section for that one(or probably ban most of the posters(since i think even more people will spew their vile on it when that happens).

C.S.Strowbridge:

Jandau:

... How to be delicate here?

Hmmm... I wouldn't call it fanservice-y, because there's little Miss Foiles can do about her "physical attributes" and she's not wearing clothing that's particularly revealing, or using lurid camera angles.

I think the shes episode came a bit close to NSFW with some of the poses in that one.

Kind of funny and sad to see first people complain about it being to vogue and now because it has spiders. I agree if you do not like it why watch it(and then just rant about it on the comment section). I mean i do not like all the vid's they make here but i won't go on the comment section there to say they should just remove those video's just because i do not like them.

The world needs more cute & nerdy women like Lisa!....or less nerdy men like uhm....wait what?
To stay on topic however I love spider, but I seriously hate spiderwebs. Always when I get my bike out of the shed my head plunges into a few of them and with long hair its just damn nasty getting them out.....maybe I should stop whining and be less vain, ghehe

Spiders are creepy?
But they're so cute...

Noelveiga:
snip

Okay you're right. I'm sorry, we have differing points of views and opinions and I should've left it at that. I don't think i pulled stuff out of context, but yeah, sorry if that offended you.

I completely fail to see why Mackheath and FargoDog got suspended. I honestly can't see where they cross the line.

Mechsoap:

Jandau:

The flirty kind.

Jandau:

Mechsoap:

Jandau:

The flirty kind.

perhaps she is always like that?

Mazty:

Look at it from this perspective. Your friend puts on a show about the history of apples for the Apple Society & you have been invited to watch. You don't care about apples, nor the manner it is done in but nevertheless the show does what it says on the tin & out of courtesy you go.
Apple Soc enjoy the show and it's content - you however did not. Would you then consider to harshly criticise your friend just because the content & the way the show was done in isn't to your liking? Of course not.
If you see something which you dislike & yet it is not offensive, just move on. No one here (other than the critics & people who run the site) is in a position to give some bombastic rant about why such a show deserves to be written off just because it doesn't cater to their personal preference. Too many people believe that just because they personally didn't find any enjoyment in something it means it's the worst game/show/music/person ever.
If it's not offensive and is simply just not to your liking, let's be mature and just move on; the world doesn't revolve around a single person & their tastes.

Good analogy, but the problem lies in the fact that Apple Society presentation (incidentally, do you mean computers or fruits?) does not ask for the audience's opinion on the presentation.
Videos on the escapist do. That's what forums ARE.
If someone asked me what I thought of the apple show....I'd tell them in, personally, a polite way (which some people have not been doing, granted) what i thought was wrong with the show, and how to fix the problems, or at least strike a balance so more people like me can get interested in apples, thus making the show more of a success by drawing in more people.
I wouldn't however appreciate it if my "negative" comment resulted in me being thrown out of the building by bouncers of the Apple Society.
And if i wasn't thrown out: if my opinion was heard, then I'd come back to the next Apple show. and if i find that my opinion was ignored, i would state it again. and again. until on the (what number of video is this, 5th) 5th show, i might lose patience and say "okay I'm done"......it's natural. At which point if said bouncers threw me out for saying that....well I'd still not appreciate that.

Mechsoap:

Jandau:

Mechsoap:

The flirty kind.

perhaps she is always like that?

Perhaps. I didn't say I mind, I like the show. It just seemed a bit excessive at times.

Spiders are nowhere near scary.
We should fear mosquitoes they transmit malaria and kill more people every year than lions and other " ferocious scarry man eaters".
Spiders are usefull! They kill mosquitoes and other insects.

Err... Am I the only remembering the Human/Tarantula motherfucking hybrid at the end of Tomb Raider 3?! A spider with a fucking human face!? Thats fucked up!!

C.S.Strowbridge:

Babitz:
Basically, you're saying we should reply with kind words or gtfo?

Did you even read the rules? Saying, "I don't like this." will get you banned. Giving constructive criticism, like suggesting a spider she may have missed will not get you banned.

Yeah, constructive criticism is alright, but just saying you don't like something isn't?

Apparently you did read the rules. So why did you feel the need to lie about them? Why lie about the rules to complain about them?

Yet if someone praised it without saying anything worthwhile (like most people on these comments do), then it's just fine, right?

It's a double standard and an annoying one.

Yes. If two people do two different things, they will be treated differently.

Why is this confusing?

Taking this post seriously was a real challenge since I laughed hard in disbelief.

How did I lie about the rules? No one else thought I was lying, so what's wrong with your comprehension? Srsly.

I'm also surprised you saw me confused as I have never stated such a thing.

I was stating my dissatisfaction with the rules and pointing out the double standard.

I don't understand your need to reply this way nor the point you're trying to make since you're basically playing Captain Obvious.

Noelveiga:

So since this has kind of become a referendum on Lisa Foiles and the show, here's my two cents.

I like it.

A lot.

I've said this in the comments of a couple of the previous ones but it's clearly worth repeating. I love the girly take on nerddom here. If this was a car show or a cooking show, then maybe having a hot blonde dressed like... well, a hot blonde would be somewhat sexist or demeaning or just not interesting to watch. But this is about gaming. And the stereotype here isn't that nerds like hot bubbly blondes, it's that hot bubbly blondes are not nerds in the first place.

Which is why Lisa Foiles is such a refreshing personality and her character for this show is so amusing and liberating at the same time. Everybody gets to be nerdy. The jeans and gaming t-shirt getup is not an uniform of nerdchicks, you get to be a girl and be a legit gamer (hey, I know gaming journalists that are not even aware of what EDF is, the lady has plenty of nerd cred in my book) and yeah, host a nerdy show in a corset top and low cut pants playing a bubbly blonde. And that is funny, and sarcastic and groundbreaking because it goes against expectations. If anything, the nerds frothing at the mouth with divide by zero errors flickering in their eyes are just proof that the metajoke is delivered with accuracy and effectiveness.

Plus, her delivery is great, the script is honestly funny, her timing is gorgeous and the presentation is a cut above other web shows, so there's that.

I agree with this. I've defended the Lisa Foiles show before, but you seem to have summed it really well.
Everyone is acting as though the idea of an attractive girl presenter is offending and that people only watch because of the way she acts.
I'm a gay guy and I watch because I enjoy the content of the show. I would understand people not enjoying the humor/content, and I would be okay with it - heck, I don't like Unskipabble for that reason - but not liking Lisa Foiles because she acts like a girl is just weird.

Noelveiga is right: there are girl nerds who ARE actually girly. I recently spent a whole night with one of my "girlfriends" doing a speed-run of Resident Evil 5. May I add that she is VERY girly and VERY feminine.
Not to mention the other 2 girls I've spent hours with playing LBP and Fairytale Fights (We're big on multiplayer co-op) who are also into fashion, clothes, etc. They're even blondes!

I just don't see why there is so much hate on her. No, get over yourself, she isn't trying to "seduce" you into watching through the magic internet box. She's just up there, having fun for our sakes. Why be a buzz-kill on that?

On the topic of giant VG spiders: No Brutal Legend Metal Queen Spider? She was quite bad-ass

I like spiders and never really minded them and just let'em out if they bother me but you're damn right about black ops, my personal opinion it sucked and I'm glad I didin't buy it.

But if you like BO cookies for you I couldn't take it anymore after 4-5 hours.

I actually thought this one was really funny, but that pose she holds throughout this and almost every episode looks really stiff and artificial. Still, I like her. I'm kind of curious why the swearing here is censored and, say, Yahtzee's isn't. Is it a personal choice of the show's creators? Or is it to make us think she's swearing when she's actually saying "fiddlesticks and puppy tails!"?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here