Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Creepiest Giant Spiders

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

myah:
I wouldīve traded the spider in DMC for the Armor Spider from Demonīs souls. THAT SHIT IS CREEPY.

I literally watched this and came to the forum to mention the Demon's Souls Armor Spider. Your my new best friend.

sgwee:
after doing a search for ungoliant I REALLY want to see a game/movie that shows off the balrogs fightin this thing, holy crap EPIC!

yeah i searched it too, & that would be very sweet indeed.

Me and spiders have a love hate relationship. I do love them and even pet a tarantula i found in the woods but as soon as they extend their legs upwards ready to attack i run (also running into a spider web is terrifying since you just know it's now in your hair). Although in truth a tarantula bite doesn't hurt too bad and most spider venom doesn't affect us too much beyond a rash. And I've been praying that if zombies aren't going to attack, giant spiders will. They'd make interesting enemies and so I researched them for years in elementary school JUST so I'd be prepared.

I dislike this show because of the obvious fanservicing and the fact it brings nothing to the table that really makes you think or has any discussion value ._.

The lists are uninteresting too. You could choose something with some real integrity, for example; Top 5 Underrated Indie games or Top 5 User Made Levels in 'insert game here'.

Mazty:

But who are you to deem what is garbage and what is not? Are you a renown critic or industry publisher?

A viewer with the ability to analyze what he saw? How does being a renown critic make the slightest difference? They start out as nobodies, and their opinions gain more weight as their notoriety goes up, nothing more to it.

cybrid81:
The invisible spiders in System Shock 2 were way worse than any of these.

Ooooh yeah, the annelid arachnids. You could just hear the CHATTERING. What the hell was supposed to be making that noise anyway...?

Hehe, I thought of "Painkiller" as well. But they ain't creepy, just annoying.

alex8039:

Mazty:

But who are you to deem what is garbage and what is not? Are you a renown critic or industry publisher?

A viewer with the ability to analyze what he saw? How does being a renown critic make the slightest difference? They start out as nobodies, and their opinions gain more weight as their notoriety goes up, nothing more to it.

A dog can analyse what it saw. The question is why should your opinion be worth anything? Being a renown critic usually implies (less on the internet, more in magazines such as Empire etc) that the critic has a lot of knowledge and experience, as well as being unbiased, when making comments. E.g. can say a film is good without having actually liked it due to personal preference.

GrizzlerBorno:

Mazty:

Look at it from this perspective. Your friend puts on a show about the history of apples for the Apple Society & you have been invited to watch. You don't care about apples, nor the manner it is done in but nevertheless the show does what it says on the tin & out of courtesy you go.
Apple Soc enjoy the show and it's content - you however did not. Would you then consider to harshly criticise your friend just because the content & the way the show was done in isn't to your liking? Of course not.
If you see something which you dislike & yet it is not offensive, just move on. No one here (other than the critics & people who run the site) is in a position to give some bombastic rant about why such a show deserves to be written off just because it doesn't cater to their personal preference. Too many people believe that just because they personally didn't find any enjoyment in something it means it's the worst game/show/music/person ever.
If it's not offensive and is simply just not to your liking, let's be mature and just move on; the world doesn't revolve around a single person & their tastes.

Good analogy, but the problem lies in the fact that Apple Society presentation (incidentally, do you mean computers or fruits?) does not ask for the audience's opinion on the presentation.
Videos on the escapist do. That's what forums ARE.
If someone asked me what I thought of the apple show....I'd tell them in, personally, a polite way (which some people have not been doing, granted) what i thought was wrong with the show, and how to fix the problems, or at least strike a balance so more people like me can get interested in apples, thus making the show more of a success by drawing in more people.
I wouldn't however appreciate it if my "negative" comment resulted in me being thrown out of the building by bouncers of the Apple Society.
And if i wasn't thrown out: if my opinion was heard, then I'd come back to the next Apple show. and if i find that my opinion was ignored, i would state it again. and again. until on the (what number of video is this, 5th) 5th show, i might lose patience and say "okay I'm done"......it's natural. At which point if said bouncers threw me out for saying that....well I'd still not appreciate that.

Though why do some people air their opinion as if it is worth more than what is really is: A faceless comment usually with no substance & is purely subjective?
Saying "Omgosh dis show is like well lames" is utterly pointless if people enjoy the show, and yet week after week keyboard critics keep making the same inane comments as if their opinion is of some value.
A lot of the people making criticism do not appreciate that people enjoy this show. I certainly came across one who told me I was "wrong" for enjoying a nostalgic aspect of the show. Those kind of people should not just be kicked out of the Apple Society, but given a muzzle when they step out into public, as they think their opinion is fact.
The critics have to appreciate that the show may not need to change for it to be popular. Hell, I think the Saw film series is utterly dire in every conceivable way, yet does it need to change? No. Why? It is popular. Just because something may not cater to personal preference doesn't mean something is necessarily wrong with it.

Mazty:

A dog can analyse what it saw.

No, a dog can not analyze an Escapist Magazine video. Please stop making nonsensical analogies.

The question is why should your opinion be worth anything?

Why should anyone's?

Being a renown critic usually implies (less on the internet, more in magazines such as Empire etc) that the critic has a lot of knowledge and experience, as well as being unbiased, when making comments. E.g. can say a film is good without having actually liked it due to personal preference.

No a critic is anyone who criticizes works of 'art', a renown critic is someone who has an opinion that many people subscribe to. The quality of the opinion lies in the knowledge and experience the critic has. Therefore me criticizing something like fine wine would still be in its way valid, but could also be insignificant given my lack of experience with wine.

Either way, I've seen thousands of videos of this sort, so that makes me an expert no? You don't need to be an expert to realize that a top 5 list consisting entirely of insignificant video game gimmicks presented in a pandering and obnoxious way riddled with cheesy failed attempts at humor is 'garbage'.

Saying "Omgosh dis show is like well lames" is utterly pointless if people enjoy the show, and yet week after week keyboard critics keep making the same inane comments as if their opinion is of some value.

It's obvious why people watch this show. The fairly cute presenter. Nothing more to it. It's entirely valid to criticize shallow work that sells because of a sexual aspect to it. I.e the new American Pie movies which are total garbage (by unanimous decision *rolls eyes*) but continue to sell due to naked women.

Sgt. Sykes:
Lisa is in trouble for using that spider picture! Each use is worth $233.95!

I love you. This is the single greatest sight I have seen.

I went through three pages don't feel like going through the rest.

Vindictus has a nice spider boss that should've gone on the list (for that matter it opens with a "friendly" giant spider).

For some reason the youtube video isn't loading in the little window so heres the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fier36ZxySU&feature=fvst

Mazty:

Though why do some people air their opinion as if it is worth more than what is really is: A faceless comment usually with no substance & is purely subjective?

Just thought I'd throw out that, like pretty much every website of this variety, The Escapist probably makes its money from the paid subscriptions and advertising (I'm not 100% on that but it seems pretty damn likely). Advertising is only as lucrative as the potential consumer base it reaches, which is us, the viewers. If said viewers dislike a show they are less likely to watch it and numbers will drop and therefore revenue will drop. This makes every viewers contribution valuable because of its subjectivity. One persons opinion doesn't negate anothers but each opinion should be viewed upon its own merits and be given the same consideration.

This is where censorship of negative comments becomes an issue. Think of a bell curve, you will have a minority that hate the show, a minority that are adoring fans and the majority in the middle with some that like it a bit and some that dislike it a bit. By completely removing any negative comment you skew your data set. Plus, expressing personal opinions is generally what open forums are for.

Yes, there will be other ways of deeming a shows success (number of unique views etc), and yes, you will have to deal with a vocal minority at times but that is par for the course really. Implying that peoples opinions are pointless if they're negative is spurious.

Spinwhiz:
I thought the spiders in Dragon Age: Origins were creepy.

I agree, especially when they overpower you and start chomping on your face, creeped me the hell out.

Mazty:

A lot of the people making criticism do not appreciate that people enjoy this show. I certainly came across one who told me I was "wrong" for enjoying a nostalgic aspect of the show. Those kind of people should not just be kicked out of the Apple Society, but given a muzzle when they step out into public, as they think their opinion is fact.
The critics have to appreciate that the show may not need to change for it to be popular. Hell, I think the Saw film series is utterly dire in every conceivable way, yet does it need to change? No. Why? It is popular. Just because something may not cater to personal preference doesn't mean something is necessarily wrong with it.

Yes, a few people did things that they shouldn't have, or atleast should've done it better. I don't think they should have been banhammered like that, though. I don't think anyone was really insulting The Escapist staff (Ms. Foiles), which is the alleged rule that is at the heart of this shitstorm.
I'd like to watch this show. i would. but the only thing stopping me are the REALLY silly topics (i don't care to know who are the best dressed guys) and the overtly flowery presentation. My constructive critics was presented in order to tell the creators that i want those aspects changed. If they hear it and balance out the show, then i'll become a fan and keep watching. If they keep it as it is, I'll just skip it. No biggie.

Creepiest arachnids in real life: solifugae:

http://yosuaonesimus.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/giant-camel-spider-arachnid-solifugae.jpg

also: DO WANT more of Lisa! :D

alex8039:

Mazty:

A dog can analyse what it saw.

No, a dog can not analyze an Escapist Magazine video. Please stop making nonsensical analogies.

The question is why should your opinion be worth anything?

Why should anyone's?

Being a renown critic usually implies (less on the internet, more in magazines such as Empire etc) that the critic has a lot of knowledge and experience, as well as being unbiased, when making comments. E.g. can say a film is good without having actually liked it due to personal preference.

No a critic is anyone who criticizes works of 'art', a renown critic is someone who has an opinion that many people subscribe to. The quality of the opinion lies in the knowledge and experience the critic has. Therefore me criticizing something like fine wine would still be in its way valid, but could also be insignificant given my lack of experience with wine.

Either way, I've seen thousands of videos of this sort, so that makes me an expert no? You don't need to be an expert to realize that a top 5 list consisting entirely of insignificant video game gimmicks presented in a pandering and obnoxious way riddled with cheesy failed attempts at humor is 'garbage'.

It's obvious why people watch this show. The fairly cute presenter. Nothing more to it. It's entirely valid to criticize shallow work that sells because of a sexual aspect to it. I.e the new American Pie movies which are total garbage (by unanimous decision *rolls eyes*) but continue to sell due to naked women.

The dog analogy was to point out that analysis on it's own is not worth anything. What matters is the quality of the analysis. As an example would you say that a toddlers analysis of the Iliad was worth the same as a Professor in Ancient History? Of course not.
What makes an opinion of value is what substance you give it. Most of the people here just say "omgosh don't wantz". That is an opinion they can keep to themselves. Your criticism of wine would be, to chose a number of words, pretentious/hollow/conceited. This applies to anyone who criticises something they know little of. To quote wiki:

"Formally, [critic] is applied to persons who are publicly accepted in a recognised capacity, such as professional employment, graduation from a course of study, etc., to give critical commentaries in one or any of a number of specific fields of public or private achievement or endeavour"

These people are not recognised to have the analytical capacity to criticise, and the lack of substance they give their posts does not help them in any way. It's as simple as that really.
Just because you have seen many videos doesn't make you an expert. An alcoholic isn't instantly a wine expert etc. As I said you need to give your opinion substance as you are not a professional critic. Plus saying games like DMC and Morrowind are insignificant really shows you have zero idea about the content you are trying to criticise.

webby:

Just thought I'd throw out that, like pretty much every website of this variety, The Escapist probably makes its money from the paid subscriptions and advertising (I'm not 100% on that but it seems pretty damn likely). Advertising is only as lucrative as the potential consumer base it reaches, which is us, the viewers. If said viewers dislike a show they are less likely to watch it and numbers will drop and therefore revenue will drop. This makes every viewers contribution valuable because of its subjectivity. One persons opinion doesn't negate anothers but each opinion should be viewed upon its own merits and be given the same consideration.

This is where censorship of negative comments becomes an issue. Think of a bell curve, you will have a minority that hate the show, a minority that are adoring fans and the majority in the middle with some that like it a bit and some that dislike it a bit. By completely removing any negative comment you skew your data set. Plus, expressing personal opinions is generally what open forums are for.

Yes, there will be other ways of deeming a shows success (number of unique views etc), and yes, you will have to deal with a vocal minority at times but that is par for the course really. Implying that peoples opinions are pointless if they're negative is spurious.

Thing is looking at the number of comments made, I'd have said the videos are popular. So there really is no need to change to cater for a minority.
It's not the fact that the comments are negative, it's that they are done in an almost malicious fashion, and certainly not a mature or constructive one.

GrizzlerBorno:

Yes, a few people did things that they shouldn't have, or atleast should've done it better. I don't think they should have been banhammered like that, though. I don't think anyone was really insulting The Escapist staff (Ms. Foiles), which is the alleged rule that is at the heart of this shitstorm.
I'd like to watch this show. i would. but the only thing stopping me are the REALLY silly topics (i don't care to know who are the best dressed guys) and the overtly flowery presentation. My constructive critics was presented in order to tell the creators that i want those aspects changed. If they hear it and balance out the show, then i'll become a fan and keep watching. If they keep it as it is, I'll just skip it. No biggie.

A few do not outweigh the many - is just that. A few people's criticisms don't outweigh the fact that, from what I can tell, the show is popular. So why change what isn't actually broken in many peoples eyes? It's not for you, fine, but it looks like many do enjoy it and nothing is going to be perfect and cater for everyone.

so many giant spiders (shivers)

GrizzlerBorno:

Noelveiga:
snip

Okay you're right. I'm sorry, we have differing points of views and opinions and I should've left it at that. I don't think i pulled stuff out of context, but yeah, sorry if that offended you.

No worries, I wasn't offended, you were actually very respectful. I just wanted to make sure my point was taken for what it is :)

Pyromania192:

Ok this may be long..

Don't worry. My response will be short. (Or at least a little shorter.)

Pyromania192:

No one's saying the Mods have an easy job, but from the perspective of someone who isn't mad for Top 5 with Lisa Foiles seems like the rule being applied is: If its not praise, its probation-worthy.

And they are wrong. If they come up with constructive criticism, it is fine. If they just complain, they can be put on probation / suspended / banned.

If you claim the rules say otherwise, you are misrepresenting and I feel compelled to correct.

That's it. That's all that's happened. All other points about vigilantism, sucking up to the mods, white knighting, brown-nosing, or any of the other things I've been accused of are irrelevant.

No-one questions this, the rules are the rules. And they are there to be enforced by the Mods and Admins. There are enough of them that others dont need to worry about what basically amounts to vigilantism. If you think there's an issue, then the report button is right there under every post. This seems to be the root of a few of your points: the rules. You do not need to keep reminding everyone. We all get it. If you have an issue with a post, hit report and it will be looked into.

You all get it? Then how come no one seems to? How come everyone I've discussed this with says, and I'm paraphrasing, 'Complain and get banned!'?

If you got it, I wouldn't have to keep explaining it when you get it wrong.

And getting it wrong isn't a reportable offense, so all I can do is explain where you got the rule wrong.

To sum up...

1.) People think the rule is... "If its not praise = BANHAMMER!" They are wrong.
2.) Saying #1 is not a reportable offense, but it should be corrected, because it is wrong.

C.S.Strowbridge:

Jandau:
This was the first episode of Lisa Foiles I've seen. Is it just me, or is it a bit... fanservice-y? Not that I mind, just asking...

... How to be delicate here?

Hmmm... I wouldn't call it fanservice-y, because there's little Miss Foiles can do about her "physical attributes" and she's not wearing clothing that's particularly revealing, or using lurid camera angles.

I think the shes episode came a bit close to NSFW with some of the poses in that one.[/quote]

Two points...

1.) I guess I wasn't pay attention, because I didn't see it.
2.) Hanging around The Escapist during work is probably a good way to get fired. I can't see how creepy spiders could possibly be work-related.

Kind of funny and sad to see first people complain about it being to vogue and now because it has spiders. I agree if you do not like it why watch it(and then just rant about it on the comment section). I mean i do not like all the vid's they make here but i won't go on the comment section there to say they should just remove those video's just because i do not like them.

I think the subject matter is very important. I liked the vehicle one more than the sexy guys one, for instance.

GrizzlerBorno:

And this complaint is perfectly allowed within the rules. (At least by my non-Mod understanding of them.)

Although, I think the silliness of the topics is the point, while her presentation works within that context. To borrow someone eles's analogy, this wouldn't work if she were discussing The Iliad, for instance.

To each his own.

Babitz:

How did I lie about the rules? No one else thought I was lying, so what's wrong with your comprehension? Srsly.

"Basically, you're saying we should reply with kind words or gtfo?"

That's a lie.

I was stating my dissatisfaction with the rules and pointing out the double standard.

Treating a simple "thank you" and a mindless complaint differently isn't a double standard. This part is apparently still confusing you.

The Limbo Spider deserved the first place :)

But shame for not mentionig Deadly Creatures where you play as a spider and a scorpion:

C.S.Strowbridge:

Two points...

1.) I guess I wasn't pay attention, because I didn't see it.
2.) Hanging around The Escapist during work is probably a good way to get fired. I can't see how creepy spiders could possibly be work-related.

Kind of funny and sad to see first people complain about it being to vogue and now because it has spiders. I agree if you do not like it why watch it(and then just rant about it on the comment section). I mean i do not like all the vid's they make here but i won't go on the comment section there to say they should just remove those video's just because i do not like them.

I think the subject matter is very important. I liked the vehicle one more than the sexy guys one, for instance.

Looks like you quoted me (think it went wrong somewhere since it doesn't have my name, nor I got a notice i got a reply).

I agree with you that not every top 5 will appeal to everyone due to the wide range of topics they can use. I do think it is getting better. It will not be up to everyone's taste but then if we all liked the same things life would be boring. By the way I do not think the sexy guys topic would be interesting for most straight males.
Also what people seem to forget (not an attack towards you btw) is that a top 5 is always an opinion and hardly anyone shares the complete same opinion.

/edit:changed what i quoted to make a bit of sense about it for others to read(even confused me after i pressed post:/)

C.S.Strowbridge:

Babitz:

How did I lie about the rules? No one else thought I was lying, so what's wrong with your comprehension? Srsly.

"Basically, you're saying we should reply with kind words or gtfo?"

That's a lie.

I was stating my dissatisfaction with the rules and pointing out the double standard.

Treating a simple "thank you" and a mindless complaint differently isn't a double standard. This part is apparently still confusing you.

I see.
Since your (faulty) logic stems from another world, I'll just have my giggles at your expense and be on my way.

Ta-ta.

skylog:

Drakmeire:
I was thinking the metal spider queen from Brutal Legend.
because IT'S A SPIDER MADE OF METAL!!!
combining two of humankind's greatest fears. giant bugs and robot uprisings.

I think Wild, Wild West killed everyone's fears of giant, mechanical spiders. Which is a shame, 'cause Brutal Legend has one awesome giant, mechanical spider. I'd run from that thing, and I'm not even afraid of spiders.

Agreed. Not only is it awesome and metal, it has a huge hotrod Engine for a body!

As a side note, I love the Top 5 lists she has been doing each week. People on here just need to stop watching if they don't like it. There are plenty of shows the escapist does that I dislike, but I don't go onto their threads and start saying how terrible they are ( Unskippable for example ).

Bomb arrows make Armagohma go away. And Smashing one with a giant stone fist? Amazingly cathartic.

Safaia:
This show is harmless I don't know why everyone is getting all dramatic about it. Scroll on by and don't watch if you don't like it. Easy as that.

Because it's the internet, if they can't bitch about what they don't like, they have nothing (or so it would seem).

Anyway, not a bad little show, I've seen better, but I've also seen much worse.

So, are all you folks who inevitably say this is the last time you'll watch Lisa's videos every week going to to say this is the last time you'll watch Lisa's videos? I need to know ahead of time.

Mazty:

In short: It's the internet - without opinions, we have nothing to discuss. Unfortunatly, we can't all be profesional critics: but even their work is only a matter of opinion, not fact. We cannot argue fact because it is proven and tested. Hence, opinion is one of the largest means of discussion on a forumn. Think if every topic on the escapist had 0 unprofesional opinions - There wouldn't be any threads discussing ideas with opposing points of view would there?

C.S.Strowbridge:

snip

Pyromania192:

No one's saying the Mods have an easy job, but from the perspective of someone who isn't mad for Top 5 with Lisa Foiles seems like the rule being applied is: If its not praise, its probation-worthy.

And they are wrong. If they come up with constructive criticism, it is fine. If they just complain, they can be put on probation / suspended / banned.

If you claim the rules say otherwise, you are misrepresenting and I feel compelled to correct.

That's it. That's all that's happened. All other points about vigilantism, sucking up to the mods, white knighting, brown-nosing, or any of the other things I've been accused of are irrelevant.

No-one questions this, the rules are the rules. And they are there to be enforced by the Mods and Admins. There are enough of them that others dont need to worry about what basically amounts to vigilantism. If you think there's an issue, then the report button is right there under every post. This seems to be the root of a few of your points: the rules. You do not need to keep reminding everyone. We all get it. If you have an issue with a post, hit report and it will be looked into.

You all get it? Then how come no one seems to? How come everyone I've discussed this with says, and I'm paraphrasing, 'Complain and get banned!'?

If you got it, I wouldn't have to keep explaining it when you get it wrong.

And getting it wrong isn't a reportable offense, so all I can do is explain where you got the rule wrong.

To sum up...

1.) People think the rule is... "If its not praise = BANHAMMER!" They are wrong.
2.) Saying #1 is not a reportable offense, but it should be corrected, because it is wrong.

What constitutes as constructive criticism compared to pure criticism is, in many cases Subjective.

Which leads me to my next point,

This is for interpretation by the Mods.
You are not a mod.

We all understand the rules are there, you don't need to constantly use them as justification like claiming you have whatever deity you subscribe to on your side in a holy war. While you brush this off as irrelevant, it makes perfect sense when you look back at the last few pages. How many people have you had a discussion with regarding their dislike of the show that hasn't involved the rules. There are other avenues, and looming punishment over their heads by sprouting the rules isn't going to make anyone see eye to eye with you.

And if discussion is had between the two sides (likening the series vs disliking) then maybe some can have their opinions change and grow - those who are accusing it of pandering can perhaps be shown via logical reasoning or proof that it is not, ect ect. You win a lot more bees with honey than vinegar.

Before this point comes up: "Its not about 'winning' its about enforcing the rules". Consider the long run. If people from both sides of the matter converse and have discussions about the material, then due to people being allowed to see the opposite viewpoint, can better understand and provide more constructive criticism. Ticking all the boxes: Good discussion (the heart of any forums), understanding other points of view, and upholding the rules. All without the rules being broken.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here