287: Can't Catch 'em All

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Can't Catch 'em All

Pokemon pulls a cruel trick on its fans by encouraging them to "Catch 'em all!", but makes it nearly impossible for them to actually do it.

Read Full Article

had the same exact problem when i cheated the weapons for Borderland. Once you have the best of the best, its just became pointless to go on. as the whole reason for playing it was to find that mythical rare, be it Pokemon, or Pearlescent weapon.

Living in Australia and having no access to a Pokemon Centre was even more painful, before the wifi connection came along. There's a good reason why they ditched the "Gotta catch em' all" catchphrase a few years ago...

Not intending to be a pain in the ass here, but in Red and Blue it was actually possible to catch all 151 with "cheating" as such, but without attending the event.

Apart from that, yeah it's irritating how hard it is now. Brilliant games and all that, but it gets slightly annoying when you get to the "let's fill the 'dex stage".

i try to catch them all once as well, but eventualy lost hart after seeing that unless i did parcticly everything that article just said, it was imposible.
so instead i have a lvl 100 mudkip. it's awsome.

I don't mean to sound like a curmudgeon here but I watch my students at lunch feverishly trying to proverbially "catch 'em all" with their pokewalkers and whatnot and as far as I'm concerned, the games have just gotten completely out of hand. I remember having enough trouble staying focused on Red/Blue/Yellow and I can't figure out how the games hold their attention now with so many more pokemon to grab...

287: Can't Catch 'em All:
I heard John Funk likes Mudkips.

Oh you are just the worst kind of person. ;-;

I personally catch 6 pokemon, pre-decided, and use them throughout
To spite the designers
muwahahaha

I didn't have many close friends I could trade with, so never bothered trying to catch them all. I think making Gen II was a good idea, but III was too far

Samwise137:
I don't mean to sound like a curmudgeon here but I watch my students at lunch feverishly trying to proverbially "catch 'em all" with their pokewalkers and whatnot and as far as I'm concerned, the games have just gotten completely out of hand. I remember having enough trouble staying focused on Red/Blue/Yellow and I can't figure out how the games hold their attention now with so many more pokemon to grab...

Kids still play Pokémon? I thought the game went out of style ages ago.

Rawle Lucas:

Samwise137:

I thought so as well until I started working here. My students play it ALL THE TIME. It's moderately freaky.

I've never even tried to "catch 'em all".

A fruitless and thankless task.

I just try and "catch most of 'em".

I play Pokemon for it's timeless battle system.

*goes back to the Battle Factory*

Fucking random pokemon rentals...

Samwise137:

Rawle Lucas:

Samwise137:

I thought so as well until I started working here. My students play it ALL THE TIME. It's moderately freaky.

The only fun i had with pokemon was selling CCG Cards to kids at the shop. They blew such amounts of money for 3-5 pieces of cardboard we just couldnt do but laugh, laugh and laugh all day. :) sweet times.

I made money selling GameShark'd Mews at a Pokémon tournament.

Oh yeah.

I get what you mean, i remember how giddy i got when i caught Groundon after 2 hours of persistently being smacked down, and having blown all my money on sweet rave parties and the company of fine women so on i had to caputre the damn thing with great balls.

I have managed to catch almost all of Generation I's Pokemon. The only one I didn't catch was Mew...

And I now know a way to catch him, except now I will never be able to catch 'em all, as in all of the first generation...

Wish I had known about it back then...

I decided to try and catch as many as I can on my Soul Silver. I know I can't get them all, but I'll see what I can do.

Never really tried to "catch 'em all" until then though. I used to just pick ones I thought were cool and use them. :D

This is why I stopped cheating in games a long time ago. It just kills the fun in the game. I'd rather leave a game uncompleted that cheat to get through it. I'll ask friends for advice, try the forums, read guides, but I won't manipulate the game, at least for the most part.

There are some "gray" areas in this regard. Situations like the one discribed in the article are such. Some people don't live in countries with Nintendo events and such and can pretty much go fuck themselves or cheat if they want to catch them all. In such situations, I approve of people finding ways around these hurdles.

Also, some mods tend to make games arguably easier. It's a fine line between fixing what's broken and improving the game versus just giving yourself free shit and such...

Samwise137:

Rawle Lucas:

Samwise137:

I'm pretty sure that Pokémon Black and White aren't helping matters any.

Also, I had caught them all once on my Gold and Silver versions, though I did use a GameShark to get Mew, Celebi, and the starters.

Who here has actually caught all of them in one of the games?

I have finished Blue, Gold, Emerald, and 3/4 of the way done with Pearl.

Can I say "victory" yet? Please?

I actually recently got most of the Pokemons (488) in Diamond which the game said I completed the Pokedex (I know I haven't since I haven't got Darkrai or that god pokemon). Likewise I did cheated since my mate had Deoxys and other impossible pokemon to catch at that time.

I was however was able to get all three of the Johto starters (before heart gold and soul silver was release) thought a long but clever scheme involving Pokemon colosseum. I breed tons of those starters and trade them over the GTS for any pokemon I didn't have to fill up my Pokedex.

Still I a bit dreading over for the new requirement to capture certain pokemon in Black and White (e.g. that bug/silver pokemon can only evolve when traded over from a specific pokemon.

I had caught them all Bar Mew in my blue version by spring 99, then I went to a track and field meet at another school and while I was doing an event someone went in my bag and stole my GBC, PKMN Blue and Zelda Links Awakening. I spent the rest of the day sobbing and did not compete in any other events.

Pokemon still sells me on every iteration of the gameboy but i've never caught them all again. I'd rather just get an incredibly efficient team for PVP.

Funk, thank you for so succinctly summarizing my biggest problem with the series.

According to Wikipedia, B&W will bring the total to a freaking ridiculous 649 'mons. Can someone please explain the point of this to me? I know Nintendo is no stranger to milking their franchises down to the last grain of flavorless sand, but this goes beyond a cash grab; they genuinely don't want people to complete their damn game. And when they force you to either cheat or be Japanese to succeed at this insurmountable goal, what are they teaching their players? "Skill doesn't matter as much as luck of birth or ability to beat the system?" That's one hell of an aesop.

I didn't exactly "catch" 'em all, per se, but I did manage to fully complete my Silver pokedex back in the day by trading rare pokemon back and forth between friends, including Celebi. Sure, I didn't actually own them, but that was one of the most satisfying games I ever completed, and I do consider it completed. Good times.

Aaaaah, Pokemon, my eternal favourite. I've never caught them all, but I don't play the game with that goal in mind anymore. The fact that some pokemon are limited to events always struck me as cruel (you know in the original Japanese versions you got Mew after catching all the regular ones? No event required). These days they hand out pokemon over the Wi-Fi system so if you can get your game to talk to the internet, it's much easier.

Though if you have a security-minded setup, you're pretty much screwed. :( I can't get online with my game anymore without turning the security off. My DSi can... just the Pokemon game cartridges can't. And my Wi-Fi USB connector isn't compatible with Windows 7. I'm hoping Black and White are updated.

oh dear lord... how many hours, no, DAYS did i waste trying to find someone that happened to actually be as far as i was in Red. i was a pokemon fanatic and i had beaten it before everyone else. i was actually lucky to find a class mate that was kind enough (and didn't care enough) to actually give me the other two starters. and that was a big help, but by the time i actually caught them all Mew was introduced and i BEGGED my parents to take me to the events. they did but the next games already came out...

..slow downward spiral

287: Can't Catch 'em All:
I heard John Funk likes Mudkips.

really....REALLY

OT: I caught everything in the Sapphire and Ruby bar the event ones...I couldn't take it to myself to do something like that to get everything in game, just takes the fun away.

I caught mew, due to a glitch instead of hacking.
It was a bit of a YAY-buster since Mew was lvl 26. (or lower)
It wasn't a challenge, I put it to sleep, threw a great ball and I got it.

I was still happy, but I wanted it to be harder.

Kanghaskhan was my true bane, goddamn you safaRi zone GODDAMN HYOUUUU!

One time I dropped my GBA and for some reason when turning on my Emerald I had all the pokemon. It was weird...

A very good read, Funk. Thanks for that. You make a good point in the fact that a lot of the collecting relied upon the promotions which rarely showed up in America. I still don't think I've seen a legitimate Shaymin. Hard to catch something when you don't even release it in the first place.

I'd given up playing Pokemon after Ruby/Emerald because I noticed a trend... A tedious maze-like system to get anywhere while fighting every step of the way until you find the magical means of skipping over. The next annoying fact was, as this thread is about, how the only way to actually get each and every 'mon was to trade for it and I had no friends who cared about the game enough when there was a more exciting TV show about it. It was a major buzzkill when I was told every single time that my Pokedex was barely started and how I must not be a real trainer if I haven't been able to get more recorded. After a while I just stopped caring and didn't even try to level up the stored 'mons to evolve them when I'm likely to find their evolved forms anyways later on. Unless they needed some special item or trading to evolve. Then I was just screwed.

I never tried to catch them all. My sister did once, on Red, except for Mew, and I always just went for the ones I liked. It is a bit insane now with some where you have to trade them multiple times while having them hold items, especially when you don't have friends. :(

Optimystic:
Funk, thank you for so succinctly summarizing my biggest problem with the series.

According to Wikipedia, B&W will bring the total to a freaking ridiculous 649 'mons. Can someone please explain the point of this to me? I know Nintendo is no stranger to milking their franchises down to the last grain of flavorless sand, but this goes beyond a cash grab; they genuinely don't want people to complete their damn game. And when they force you to either cheat or be Japanese to succeed at this insurmountable goal, what are they teaching their players? "Skill doesn't matter as much as luck of birth or ability to beat the system?" That's one hell of an aesop.

Well, I don't think it's actually that much of a problem because it's not supposed to be the point any more. Nintendo hasn't used "Gotta Catch 'em All" in official marketing for at least two generations.

But as I touched on in the article, I'm also not sure it's inherently a bad thing. The fun isn't in *having* them, it's in trying to collect them.

Aside from Mew, I managed to "catch 'em all" in Gen I, due to trading around with my brother and some friends at school.
It got harder with Gen II, but it was still doable.

Then Gen III came along, and with the loss of backwards compatibility and the resulting hoops you had to jump through to fill the Pokédex came a sense of futility and sadness, and a quiet, impotent ire at the convoluted piece of shit my earlier childhood enjoyment had transformed into.

I've long since moved on, but the way you wrote this article brought the sadness back to the surface. I want the old days back. :(

i have 357 Pokemon in soul silver, no cheating, although some Pokemon i got from the Wifi thing in Goldenrod maybe hacked =\

358 once i trade this Carnivine from Platinum over to SS =D

It's not impossible, just get Platinum (pearl or diamond) and HG or SS, then it becomes easier.

Personally i find it an achievement when that number goes up =D

EDIT: hello where did this post come from? weird

Anyway ignore this post, new one on page 4 XD

And people wonder why I used a gameshark to get Mew.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here