287: Can't Catch 'em All

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

well I have not really tried to catch em all in recent years but I now just focus on catch as many as you can before the next game comes out

I tried to Catch 'em all back in Gen 1 when I was still in school, got pretty much all of them except Mew (my friend had Red, I had Blue, we traded). I didn't play pokemon again until this Xmas when I got my hands on HG/SS and there seems to be no point even bothering (especially as no one else my age still plays pokemon), but then again I play pokemon games for the actual gameplay.

Pokemon seriously needs a recap game, with all six-hundred-and-something pokemon in it (maybe split it between two games again to keep trading usefull) without the need to trade from previous versions. There's no real enjoyment in trying to catch them all with the current games, because you know you never will.

Fortunately, it was back when the third generation had come out when I realized how ridiculous this was getting and was like, 'fuck this shit'.

The most important part of being a completionist is knowing what's worth completing.

Now someone meet me online so I can finish getting my Saints' Row 2 achievements.

Eh. Yes. It is something of an impossible challenge.

The closest I ever got was, I think, 134? I'm not entirely sure. (It may have been as high as 148 at some point)

It was pokemon Yellow, which helps enormously out of the first-gen games, because you get all 3 starters by default.

I did abuse the fact that I had both a gameboy colour, game boy advance, pokemon crystal, AND pokemon Stadium for the N64.

Basically, I've played through all of pokemon yellow 3 times, while keeping all the pokemon along the way by transferring them to another game and then back again.
(Yay for disposable magicarps.)

It's funny having two pikachus in yellow, and evolving one, even though that shouldn't be possible...

In any event, I think where I left it, I'll never get mew, but I do have 2 mewtwos and 3 evees, and all of the pokemon except I think I'm missing an omanyte for some reason that I can't quite explain.
In any event, Pokemon yellow and crystal overlap perfectly for the first 150 pokemon, which is oddly convenient...

But the omanyte aside, I basically have all the pokemon I would need to get to 150, but haven't evolved them yet.

Still, I gave up ages ago...

Optimystic:
Funk, thank you for so succinctly summarizing my biggest problem with the series.

According to Wikipedia, B&W will bring the total to a freaking ridiculous 649 'mons. Can someone please explain the point of this to me? I know Nintendo is no stranger to milking their franchises down to the last grain of flavorless sand, but this goes beyond a cash grab; they genuinely don't want people to complete their damn game. And when they force you to either cheat or be Japanese to succeed at this insurmountable goal, what are they teaching their players? "Skill doesn't matter as much as luck of birth or ability to beat the system?" That's one hell of an aesop.

Take into consideration the use of the WiFi system for the Nintendo DS and DSi. I know for a fact that there was a system imposed in Diamond and Pearl which allowed you to trade globablly, through the powers of the internet. Granted, most of the legendary "Japanese" event monsters are likely duplicated (like the 5 Arceuses inside of my brother's Diamond), but still it provides a legitimate way to "Catch 'em All".

Time to piss off every one in this thread.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
-Nintendo DS
-WiFi connection that works with said DS
-Diamond, Platinum, Pearl, heartGold or SoulSilver cartridge
-in-game access to the GTS (Goldenrod in HGSS, don't remember for the others), and make sure you don't have anything up for trade at the GTS or it may disappear

1) Turn on the game normally and get to the point at which you have menu options (New Game, Continue, etc.)
2) Go down to Nintendo WFC settings.
3) Enter the settings for the wifi network you will be using and turn off the "Automatically find DNS) option.
4) Enter one of the following two codes under the "Primary DNS" category:

5) Exit the WFC options and start your game normally, then enter the GTS. Once you have done this, you will either blue-screen (relax, just turn the DS off and try again once or twice) or more likely receive an incoming Pokemon that you most definitely did not put up for trade. Congratulations, you have just received at random a fully legit Pokemon from a past event. Use the 65. code to access recent American event Pokemon and the 70. code to access Japanese event Pokemon. In particular, there's an American Aerodactyl and a Japanese shiny Entei worth checking out. Additionally, you don't have to power off or reenter the code to snag another one, just exit and reenter the GTS and you'll get another (probably different) one at random.
6) Make a crapload of money by doing what post #13 did. And you'll get moar 'dex data.

I have just successfully broken your gaming childhood. Bring on the flaming.

DelphiSantano:
Not intending to be a pain in the ass here, but in Red and Blue it was actually possible to catch all 151 with "cheating" as such, but without attending the event.

Apart from that, yeah it's irritating how hard it is now. Brilliant games and all that, but it gets slightly annoying when you get to the "let's fill the 'dex stage".

Not so much cheating, just a rather very, very specific (not sure if it really is a) glitch you had to do.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-7-pop-fiction/706469

Finally, someone who understands why hacking Pokemon is wrong. Don't get me wrong, I understand why you did it, some of us can't get to Nintendo's US only events. I do not, however, condone it.
The game's objective is to catch them all, but that's not where the enjoyment comes from. It's the journey on the way to catching them all that makes the game fun. That moment of relief after whipping various balls (sometimes for days) at a legendary that just won't give it up is why people play in the first place.

DelphiSantano:
Not intending to be a pain in the ass here, but in Red and Blue it was actually possible to catch all 151 with "cheating" as such, but without attending the event.

That was a glitch though. I wouldn't call abusing a glitch legitimate..

Gamesharking for Event Pokemon isn't cheating.

I'm from Australia.
We hardly ever have Nintendo events.

Do you know how bummed I am that American Gamestops are offereing Shiny Enteis, Suicunes and Raikous? Which will unlock Zorora if transfered to Black/White? And a Celebi? All this month!

I only have a Jirachi and Mew (Which, don't get me wrong, is awesome. I just miss out on ALL the others which is a bummer)

Lemme bring up another point. When I "completed" Painkiller - that is to say, found every secret, obtained every tarot card, and killed every single enemy - I felt "empty". (As I described it on this forum.) I think part of the reason for it was that, because I had to use the Internet to do it, it didn't feel like a "proper" victory.

And yet some of those secrets are literally impossible to find without the Internet - "City on the Water", for example, requires you to jump out over a deadly drop, AROUND a wall that meets the edge of that drop, and double back into an alcove on the other side of the wall. Unless you actually try it, there is absolutely no clue to tell you that the alcove's there; and you can't look for it without, yes, jumping out over the deadly drop. If the alcove wasn't there, you'd die, instantly and unavoidably. And there is no way to know that the alcove is there without making a leap of faith.

It strikes me that that kind of game design is something of a flaw in Painkiller itself - why put in a "secret" that is impossible to find without using the Internet? But then this kind of thing has been happening since Doom and before that. (Anybody else remember how to get the rocket launcher on level 1 of "Doom 2"?) Why do you put something like that in your game? Just to make the people who actually know about it feel more "elite"?

That's one of the few grievances I have with the Pokemon series:

1. Having japan get the games a full year or so before the US. Why? don't the Japanese versions have an English language setting anyways? Translating does not take that long, even if it does not.

2. Having event Pokemon be only in X country or location, self explanatory.

3. Not letting us import our save from the previous game all the damn time.

We beat the elite four and became the champion, again.

I'm tired of it, at least give us the excuse that you can't have Pokemon go between regions, and have use be the SAME guy as the last game!

You know what would solve these in one fell swoop? an MMO.

It'd solve every damned problem, the series already has MMO like gameplay and world setup, so why not?

It'd be PERFECT!

You know, Mew was catchable. Among all the ridiculous "omg get the Gold and Silver Pokemon out of a Red and Blue cartridge by doing this massive list of stupid things" fake cheats found online was one gem. Next to the weird runaround you could do to find Missingno was another complicated cheat that would actually get you Mew. It involved something to do with a Gambler on a certain path and dodging the battle system by using Fly, I think.

You just had to stumble on the right combination of moves, and you could get Mew without an event or a GameShark.

Also, the "why can't I complete the stupid game" answer is this: because Nintendo wanted you to be social. They wanted people to trade with each other. They wanted friends to play Pokemon together and swap critters. It's not that Nintendo hates you; it's that they were doing everything they could to make Pokemon a social phenomenon.

It's a great strategy if you ask me, and it gives a big finger to the completionists who want to finish the game All Alone.

They should make real pokemon so we could catch em all by running around and jumping on them!

The only acheivement of pokemon games for me was that I had the only level 100 in the class on red
It was a Charizard named "Charmy" and I loved him to peices

That's all well and good, John, but at least you didn't have to pass through Herculean obstacle courses in order to get all the stars in Mario or all the Jiggies in Banjo.

The amount of effort one would have to put into the game in order to catch them all now (Especially with Black and White here, and their own new event Pokémon, Victini, which non-Japanese gamers probably won't have the best chances of getting.), I hardly think it'd be worth it just for a few completion points in a game that will undoubtedly become outdated in due time.

Andy of Comix Inc:

287: Can't Catch 'em All:
I heard John Funk likes Mudkips.

Oh you are just the worst kind of person. ;-;

There are no bad people. Only bad memes.

I was offered the chance at a shiny magmar via Cheating the other day. and now, im glad I didn't take it. Thanks John Funk!

I caught all of them on every version I had. Since where I lived there was very few children let alone children with Game Boys I very rarely had a chance to trade.

There was none of these special Pokémon events in my country either.

Mew actually CAN be found in the Red and Blue games, without hacking, without cheating, and without going to a tournament. It's convoluted, and doesn't sound like it would even work, but I've tested it. I couldn't believe it worked.

www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-7-pop-fiction/706469

EDIT When Red and Blue came out, me and my older brother had opposite copies, (I had Blue and he had Red.) so we helped propel each other to being Pokemon masters. At the time, we had no idea about the way to get Mew back then, so we chalked him up to Pokemon we CAN'T get. We were little kids back then, and our parents wouldn't take us to the only tournament in the city that ever happened. So, when you can't go to a tournament, I think you can still be considered a Pokemon master, because it's unfair. There was only ever ONE tournament that was anywhere near my home back then.

I once caught them all on Red version, but back when I was young I seemed to care more about getting them all to their max level. Now a days I like having a well structured team, and I've taken to favoring ghost type pokemon over others. The thought of obtaining everything doesn't really cross my mind.

ahh this brings back the memories,

as a kid i never actually own a proper pokemon game, but i did have one of the multigame cartridges with pokemon on it. i was so obsessed with pokemon i would buy large packs of batteries and play pokemon, earning as many badges as i could before the batteries ran out (because you couldn't save on the multigame cartridges) and repeat untill i was out of batteries

pokemon's pulling power is amazing, and in retrospect very creepy

maybe, its that awesome theme song?

I had all 150 of the original within a year of Red+Blue coming out. I was rather into Pokemon, if you didn't figure that out. Started collecting the cards and so forth. Somewhere near the end of that year though, the schoolyard rumours of the 151st pokemon started. Some sort of small cat is what that weird nerdy kid told me. I played a few more Pokemon games before finally moving on. Yet, I never did get myself a Mew. Legit or cheated.

Until recently. I bought HeartGold to try to get my yearly dose of nostalgia in. Then Kotaku reported that the anniversary was coming up and to celebrate...you could get your very own legit Mew. I finally got one. I finished my collection. You can keep your ancient bio-cybernetic lifeforms with lasers. I have all 151 Pokemon.

Finally.

I know exactly what you mean.
I've given up on catchining 'em all quite a while ago.

The pokédex that becomes incomplete with every new generation just goes against my perfectionist nature.

Apathetic Flamingo:
Mew actually CAN be found in the Red and Blue games, without hacking, without cheating, and without going to a tournament. It's convoluted, and doesn't sound like it would even work, but I've tested it. I couldn't believe it worked.

www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-7-pop-fiction/706469

The trick that's mentioned at the end of the video is possible, I did it. That's the way I got Mew.
Although the instructions I followed said it has to be very specific trainers you do the trick with.

masterjiji:
Technobabblestuff

If the shiny entie your talking about is the one that actually gives entei a viable moveset..

In response to the thread, yeah, I did complete my pokedex in emerald and diamond I believe. at least in the D/P/P series, they had the courtesy that you merely had to encounter the pokemon, and it was a certian number benchmark you had to achive, which excluded some of the event ones like arceus.

Unfortunately, I dislike the events where you have to be there physically... And the complete lack of them in most countries. I can say I support said hacking if its the only way you can get the pokemon... (Lack of physical event and wifi both fall under this rule).

Then again, you could just use smogons shoddy battle system or whatever its called. Complete customization at your fingertips!

There's actually a way to catch Mew without using a module or anything of the sort. You need to start a new game and follow very specific instructions and you'll encounter it and can catch it. I don't really consider that cheating. I did it. After that though, I cloned it so I could give Mews to my friends...

Ophi:
Catching them all is absolutely not impossible.

I have all 493 in my SoulSilver version. Not a single one is hacked or gamesharked.

It just takes time.

A lot of time.

.... And the ability to trade on Wi-Fi. : )

Trading RNG/Pokeradar shinies for legendaries = profit!

im going to call your bluff. Celebi has only been given away one time in america, possibly twice but it was a long time ago either way. the chances of you having one of those are not very likely. It has been given away in japan but its holding a ribbon that makes it un-tradable over wifi. Not only that but you cant trade online for pokemon that arnt in your pokedex and its impossible to see a celebi in any recent pokemon game. You could buy a japanese version and have already downloaded the event celibi and traded it into an american version I suppose but I consider that cheating.

Josdeb:
I'm from Australia.
We hardly ever have Nintendo events.

Do you know how bummed I am that American Gamestops are offereing Shiny Enteis, Suicunes and Raikous? Which will unlock Zorora if transfered to Black/White? And a Celebi? All this month!

I only have a Jirachi and Mew (Which, don't get me wrong, is awesome. I just miss out on ALL the others which is a bummer)

just keep waiting the events will swing your way. they dogs and celebi tie into the new movie. its premiering feb 5th in america. find out when its premiering in australia and you will find out when the pokemon are coming.

kevo.mf.last:

Ophi:
Catching them all is absolutely not impossible.

I have all 493 in my SoulSilver version. Not a single one is hacked or gamesharked.

It just takes time.

A lot of time.

.... And the ability to trade on Wi-Fi. : )

Trading RNG/Pokeradar shinies for legendaries = profit!

im going to call your bluff. Celebi has only been given away one time in america, possibly twice but it was a long time ago either way. the chances of you having one of those are not very likely. It has been given away in japan but its holding a ribbon that makes it un-tradable over wifi. Not only that but you cant trade online for pokemon that arnt in your pokedex and its impossible to see a celebi in any recent pokemon game. You could buy a japanese version and have already downloaded the event celibi and traded it into an american version I suppose but I consider that cheating.

I believe you assume that I used the in-game GTS in Goldenrod city.

I did not.

I used friend codes/the WiFi room.

There, you can be traded Pokemon you have not yet seen, and Ribbon event Pokemon, with people all over the world. All you need is their friend code.

There are numerous websites online that are filled with people seeking to trade legit Pokemon through friend codes.

My Celebi, and Arceus, are Japanese and both from legit events.

"Catch 'em All!" is one of the worst things to happen to pokemon. That, and how some pokemon will always just be so much better than others.
I know they make money 'n such, but pokemon should be about playing with your favorites and discovering all the little mysteries- of course, without the aforementioned problems, its still too big for that.
Most people now know all the pokemon available before the game even hits shelves in Japan...

An excellent and well written article, As usual. Thank you Mr. Funk.

Nah.
I would never have tried twice to get all of those Pokemon. I was never that concerned with fully completing my pokedex -- that stopped after ruby/sapphire when you had to catch that goofy fish that would only spawn in 1 in 98 blocks of water in a very specific area. It seems slightly... dishonest to me. It's breaking the 4th wall in the worst kind of way---come to this specific game convention to get this specific Pokemon, game marketing at it's worst.

Good article though. Don't feel bad. Pretty sure everyone used Missingno. to cheat back in the old school days.

I never cared much about mew myself. Or collecting them all. I wouldn't mind collecting all the glitch pokemon though. Too bad they aren't all as stable as missingno..

this is why I refuse to buy pokemon games.

Um, it is possible to catch the event-only legendaries without just hacking them into your game, you know. There are gameshark/action replay codes available that give you the event item rather than the pokemon. I've caught Darkrai, Manaphy, Shaymin, and Arceus in Pearl all legitimetly by using the codes to get the items needed to reach them, and I don't feel like I've cheated, even though I was a lucky bastard when I caught Arceus on my 2nd Ultra Ball.

well if cheating caused you to realize how pointless it al was then thats a good thing.
Pokemon isn't about socializing its about milking it.

I never used a gameshark to cheat in my games, however when I bought my GBA I had 2 Gameboys sitting around my house and I had a memory pack cartridge that could save files to it. I would save my file on the memory pack, transfer any of the Pokemon I wanted to my other game, and then reload the saved file back on. This allowed me to duplicate Pokemon at will essentially.

I don't do this anymore of course. I don't like to cheat anymore in my games, I feel it ruins the experience (with some exceptions).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here