287: Can't Catch 'em All

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

287: Can't Catch 'em All:
I heard John Funk likes Mudkips.

Well if that's the case.

http://zeurel.deviantart.com/gallery/26603476#/d2z3h8j

With that aside, it's really unfortunate that Pokemon has become such a monopoly. Sure I can understand coming out with a new game for the newest platform but instead of rewriting your own history in order to include more Pokemon you could just have expanded the story with the introduction of new gimmicks instead of just constantly battling.

It will be my goal to - by the end of the year - get all 500+ pokemon on Pokemon Black. I guarantee that I will! I WILL!

Or maybe I will just contently play with my lvl l00 Mew that I had obtained all those years ago. I think I have like 4 of them now :(

Anyways, Gen II games were the best- the rest just got worse and worse :'(

I never actually went out of my way to catch them all.

I just caught as many as I could and completed the game, ran around post-game-grinding to challenge my friends.

Am I the only one?

This and the fact that they haven't released a new (true) Pokemon game is why I am not excited for Black and White. Unlike some people, I thought the series only got (and continued to get) better the more pokemon they add. Diversity is good. Don't like one bird type? Get another generation's. It tweaks the RPer/Vanity player in me to be able to get the types of Pokemon I like the concept of or the aesthetics of, even if they are the exact same as another Pokemon.

But starting with...Ruby I think, they made it impossible to get ALL of the generations of Pokemon in one title. That's when I lost interest. Oh, it's fine that they have some unique to certain types so you have to trade, but making us go to an older (or newer in some cases) title just to get the previous generation of Pokemon is a dirty trick. And at the time, there WAS no way to get the older pokemon without cheating. Which is ridiculous since they're all apparently programmed into the game (you can cheat to get them...they're all in the coding). So why not have a...I dunno, a vending machine type of mechanic where you can, once a day, spend special trainer points to get a random older generation pokemon? See, that's the kind of time sink this not-an-MMO needs to keep it fresh ad nauseum.

But as I said before, they're all the exact same game with minor tweaks in some small negligible areas. Played one, played them all. ...huh, maybe that should be the new slogan.

lets face who doesn't like mudkips...?

I have 370 so far (probably seen about 400), i have to say, I'm quite proud and can't wait to send them into Pokemon Black.

Their's a reason that the Trade Centre in Goldenrod and Jubilife was made(i'm guessing at least 40 of Pokemon were obtained there) it's not impossible, just hard. I don't see why some people say it's impossible, unless they talk about Ruby and Sapphire...in which case fair enough XD

If i had one thing to change, it would be that you saw at least every Pokemon in the game (even if you can't catch it) because when you see it, you can ask for it on the trade centre, otherwise you can't, and i really want Shaymin and Jirachi :(

m@:
lets face who doesn't like mudkips...?

Me, he's cute, but his evolutions are blergh

damn double posts!

masterjiji:
Time to piss off every one in this thread.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
-Nintendo DS
-WiFi connection that works with said DS
-Diamond, Platinum, Pearl, heartGold or SoulSilver cartridge
-in-game access to the GTS (Goldenrod in HGSS, don't remember for the others), and make sure you don't have anything up for trade at the GTS or it may disappear

1) Turn on the game normally and get to the point at which you have menu options (New Game, Continue, etc.)
2) Go down to Nintendo WFC settings.
3) Enter the settings for the wifi network you will be using and turn off the "Automatically find DNS) option.
4) Enter one of the following two codes under the "Primary DNS" category:

5) Exit the WFC options and start your game normally, then enter the GTS. Once you have done this, you will either blue-screen (relax, just turn the DS off and try again once or twice) or more likely receive an incoming Pokemon that you most definitely did not put up for trade. Congratulations, you have just received at random a fully legit Pokemon from a past event. Use the 65. code to access recent American event Pokemon and the 70. code to access Japanese event Pokemon. In particular, there's an American Aerodactyl and a Japanese shiny Entei worth checking out. Additionally, you don't have to power off or reenter the code to snag another one, just exit and reenter the GTS and you'll get another (probably different) one at random.
6) Make a crapload of money by doing what post #13 did. And you'll get moar 'dex data.

I have just successfully broken your gaming childhood. Bring on the flaming.

Best. Post. Ever, mad me giggle XD

Although i like my games how they are, so am i hell starting again!

Optimystic:
B&W will bring the total to a freaking ridiculous 649 'mons.

I have admitted to playing Pokemon Pearl to people who would not expect me to, but there some something about the battle system and the collecting I liked. 649 is too excessive and for what purpose but to say "I have them all"? At least in a collecting game like Suikoden, most characters serve a purpose even if it's very minor. At least 150(1) is a reasonable number to chase but this is stupid. They've started a sliding scale by which they will keep going and going until people start realising how stupid it is to catch 1000 pokemon.

haha i liked how it use to make you put a bit more effort in the game to go out of the way to get all the pokemon by trading with people and stuff i use to just buy both games so i could accomplish this but at about the ruby sapphire stage there was just so many i just sat with swampert and stampeded everything which was about when my dreams of getting all the pokemon vanished and i ended up not playing this game anymore

So as far as I can tell, this article says nothing that wasn't already said. More than half the article was a quote. Why was this made originally? I'm actually curious, and not trying to be a dick.

I have about 430 pokemon obtained on my copy of Platinum, and I know how you feel, the fact that some are impossible to get is grade A bullshit, it's like Nintendo is teabagging all of its fans repeatedly every time they add an unobtainable pokemon to the pokedex, it's the ultimate "fuck you fans!"

I still don't have Arceus, but at least I have my legitimate golden magikarp!

EDIT: It's even more annoying that the Global Trade Center is such a piece of shit, as it could potentially solve these problems.

blippity:

Optimystic:
B&W will bring the total to a freaking ridiculous 649 'mons.

I have admitted to playing Pokemon Pearl to people who would not expect me to, but there some something about the battle system and the collecting I liked. 649 is too excessive and for what purpose but to say "I have them all"? At least in a collecting game like Suikoden, most characters serve a purpose even if it's very minor. At least 150(1) is a reasonable number to chase but this is stupid. They've started a sliding scale by which they will keep going and going until people start realising how stupid it is to catch 1000 pokemon.

Yea, that is why I am going to cheat to get all the pokemon on my SoulSilver (The absolutely impossible ones anyway) and then trade them all over to my Black Version once I get it. It will save my sanity - even if it goes against what I originally believed. Hell I did at one point catch them all... it was just when I was 8 and on a gameboy game :(

Admittedly, I wish that the 'unobtainables' were obtainable, just through some special scenario or hoop that you have to jump through.

I remember once when there was a supposed "secret" to catching Mew. Where you would, if I remember right, have to talk to the guy who teaches you how to catch a Pokemon, let him show you how, then fly immediately down to Palet Town and use Surf until you arrived at the little truck that was to the South. Walk around it three times counter-clockwise, then look inside of it's hood, and you'd find a Mew that would then attack you (level 70).

Now see, to get Mew? I'd do that. I actually did it, but there was no Mew inside...so I tried about three times before giving up and breaking out the Gameshark. Then again, I was never inclined to "Catch 'em All". I was more than happy to make up the biggest, baddest team I could at the time of Pokemon I enjoyed using, and do my best to beat the socks off of all of my classmates. I still am doing so, minus the classmates, and more of going to Gamestop at events in order to get some wins under my belt.

John Funk:
Can't Catch 'em All

Pokemon pulls a cruel trick on its fans by encouraging them to "Catch 'em all!", but makes it nearly impossible for them to actually do it.

Read Full Article

In case you weren't aware (though I'm sure you are), Celebi will actually be available in America (for the first time) later this year in February. \

Admittedly, I cheated in the new games to get some of the old legendaries like Mew or Celebi as well as get legendaries from games I had no intention of buying (Manaphy and Phione). But the former was because of the lack of backwards-compatibility and the latter was because I had no interest in Pokemon Ranger.

As for Mew in Red/Blue... Mew Glitch? Not really cheating and it's still a Mew. Coulda done that.

Andy of Comix Inc:

287: Can't Catch 'em All:
I heard John Funk likes Mudkips.

Oh you are just the worst kind of person. ;-;

If you badmouth mudkips I swear to god I will reenact that avatar of yours...

but like...with you. Not me. Cause doing it to myself would be bad.

Best Page on Internet: http://projectpokemon.org/events

You can get the 1:1 downloads of the event pokemon :). It's great for those of us with jobs.

kevo.mf.last:

Josdeb:
I'm from Australia.
We hardly ever have Nintendo events.

Do you know how bummed I am that American Gamestops are offereing Shiny Enteis, Suicunes and Raikous? Which will unlock Zorora if transfered to Black/White? And a Celebi? All this month!

I only have a Jirachi and Mew (Which, don't get me wrong, is awesome. I just miss out on ALL the others which is a bummer)

just keep waiting the events will swing your way. they dogs and celebi tie into the new movie. its premiering feb 5th in america. find out when its premiering in australia and you will find out when the pokemon are coming.

We haven't had a Pokemon movie released in cinemas in Australia since 2000.

Exactly why I stopped playing Pokémon after Silver. It was fun but I wasn't content with just collecting most. When I found out that collecting Mew was more or less imposable for me, I stopped. Though I did buy Diamond not that long back after I heard about the Wi-Fi events.

I had both Red and Blue. My Brother had Red. I did catch them all, and I was incredibly disappointed with the bullshit certificate the game director hands you in Cerulean City.

Back in the days of Red and Blue, I owned Pokemon Red and my sister Blue. I had had the game for a while and had the 8 badges etc. My sister had about 4 badges but because she had chosen Charmander as her first Pokemon, she had a hell of a time beating Brock and Misty. I didn't know this at the time. One day, a thought hit me. If I start a new game on her Blue and get different starters, I can transfer them to my game so I have all three. Perfect! So I pinched her Gameboy one day when she was at school and for some reason I wasn't (can't remember why, it was about 6 years ago now). I started a new game on her system and went to transfer the starters to my game when the box popped up saying "We will have to save the game." And I thought.... oh.... this is going wipe her progress so I can get the 3 starters. My thumb hovered over the 'A' button for a few seconds before I pressed it and wiped out her progress.

I got what I wanted but at what cost? I knew my sister wouldn't know I had done it, she was 12 and ignorant and would believe what I told her. That her game was corrupted.
I put her Gameboy back and sat down with my 3 starters. After 10 minutes I stopped, put my Gameboy down. Said the words "fuck sake", went and got her Gameboy, and spent the rest of the day getting her game back to the point (more or less) that I had wiped it from.

I wish I had never wiped her game to start with as it made me feel like a tool for ruining her game just so I could be a little closer to "Catching them all".
Luckily, she never found out.

Never really caught on to pokemon or digimon.
But another game had me pulling my hair and shorten my sleeping hours daily, Dia-mutherfukken-blo 2.

The endless hunt for good equipment has consumed a large part of my younger days and nights. Many fell to the dark side of dups and item generators, but I soldiered on because 1 simple fact: I got no Internet access back then.
I would be being on single player runs with /players 8. Things got really bad later due to too much awesome junk, like picking up Homunculus by a paladin or Magewrath by a barb.
I resort to using ATMA to transfer item between characters.

Hi Diablo Anonymous.
I am xengk, and I am a Diablo Addict who use 3rd party program.

I think that many of you are over-reacting. It's not "Nearly Impossible" to catch them all, it's actually quite easy, but it just takes a really long time (Waiting for the Events to happen). If you live in the United States near a Toys R Us and GameStop, You just need to be paying attention to A Pokemon News Website for when the Pokemon Events happen. I learned my lesson in Generation 3 when I missed the Celebi and Deoxys Event (not that I could go to them anyways, since they are out of state).

If you really want to catch them all, don't give up. And don't cheat.

Check this out! =D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4gNLE-hpwU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgzWgPC_lV0

Too bad it's all said and done. They're already running out of ideas, and a restart seems impossible. B/W delays the inevitable, and MAYBE if they keep the same formula of gating off the old pkmn until you beat the game, they MIGHT save the franchise.

And their definition of save doesn't include the people who play it.

well i agree you cant catch them all realy easily without wifi or other games to trade to i myself have 363 and iv been working on my ss for about a year and you cannot get them all without cheating, having other games to trade with, wifi connection , events, ultra saving, and dns codes.

i gave up on this goal a long time ago.
i just pick my main team, hm users, and some alternative to use when needed. i will catch any one i don't have if i encounter them. as for legendary's as long there not event or wonder around randomly why not catch them.

Haha this was an awesome read! And my cousin too is in a college where everyone worships Pokemon!

Can tell you that Pokemon Wi-fi battles are where it's at and I always have fun when I play. You don't have to beat any Pokemon game by catching all of them so you can't complain about it. Really better to see all those monsters as having more options. You like Ground Types, well now you have 60 to choose from. Sucks about the older games is that they had really no strategy other than just use the Pokemon that they are weak against, that crap won't work in Black and White online.

PlasmaSnake13:
Too bad it's all said and done. They're already running out of ideas, and a restart seems impossible. B/W delays the inevitable, and MAYBE if they keep the same formula of gating off the old pkmn until you beat the game, they MIGHT save the franchise.

And their definition of save doesn't include the people who play it.

Kind of think the games have gotten better to be honest with you. Yeah just because a game has the same battle style, doesn't mean they haven't added anything. Really funny is that most people who say this have only played the older games and know nothing of the newer ones. You simply get more Pokemon as the new games come out which means more options. So lets run down everything that they have added.

1. Weather effects. Sandstorm, Sunny Day, Hail, Rain Dance.

2. Held Items. Pokemon can hold an item to help them have an edge.

3. Abilities. Weezing has levitate, making him immune to Ground types and entry hazards.

4. Entry Hazards. Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock, Spikes. Things you throw on the battlefield to weaken the opponent when they switch in.

5. Double and Triple Battles. Adds a whole new level of strategy.

They have added quite a bit.

Ironically, there is a glitch to catch a Mew in Yellow, but it wasn't discovered until years after it mattered.

Of course, if somebody had a time machine, they could fix this easily.

Only the event Pokémon bullshit ever really annoyed me. Living in Europe, I never seem to be aware of any of those 'mons being available to me.

Not that it matters in the end. I always thought getting the (run-of-the-mill, found in tall grass) ones that I like the most, training them, going through the adventure and leading them to victory was what the game was all about. Fuck a Celebi.

But you can catch Mew on Red and Blue! I've done it loads of times.

Hee Hee. I was so lucky. Someone in primary school had a Mew, but I can't remember where he got it. He traded it to my friend's Pokémon Gold where we cloned it over and over so everyone could have a copy. I still have Mew on my Pokémon Blue. :D
Still can't catch them all though. My link cable broke, I lost Pokémon Red and my friend's don't have gameboys. :(

I think we're all taking this too seriously. However, I also think Gamefreak needs to stop making more 'mons and start working on what they already have. They need to have something more than just the same story and a few gimmicky features every new release. I know they can do better than that. Gold is perfect proof of it.

Same thing happened to me. I baught Pok'e'Ranger just to get Manaphy. Completed that long ass game to unlock the extra mission only to be told,

Nintendo: "OH YOU BAUGHT THE GAME SECOND HAND, ONLY ONE PER GAME IM AFRAID, EVEN IF YOU RESTART DURHURHUR!!!"

Me: "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU YOOOOOOOOUUUU NINTENDOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

I hacked it and got my Manaphy egg... and all I felt was cheated. Instead of my awesome Manaphy I had crusaded through a rather difficult game for I had a... shadow of a pokemon... a lye in Water type form... a Missingo if ever I saw one... it felt wrong.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here