Zero Punctuation: Top 5 of 2010

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . . . 19 NEXT

I would agree with some of the List, but he is openly and admittly bias toward JRPGs. I am sorry once FFXIII was on the list he lost me. I agree with DR2, but i think FFXIII was the best.

Bioshock 2 wasn't all that great IMO, but putting it on a top 5 -worst- list is kind of a stretch?

I suppose he might be incorporating a comparison between it and its predecessor. That, and how 'anticipated' a title is. But then that makes the Kane and Lynch one moot.

I think I'm going to stop overanalyzing this now.

Nomanslander:
Honestly, I think you're putting a little too much faith into the average gamer.

Most average gamers wouldn't even go so far as do what I said up there, they would simply hate BS2 because it was popular to do so at release (most not even having played the game I bet).

I don't disagree with you, which is why I said previously that the "(anti-)fanboys have moved on" was a reason why the hate for the game seemed to have disappeared, with the other being that people in general realising that the game wasn't actually bad.

My only point of contention was that I don't believe the announcement of Bioshock Infinite had any major influence on this. Especially since this trend started before the announcement of that.

I was surprised by Just Cause 2 being best, yah it was really fun but I didn't expect it as #1. I thought when he completed the story and the good secondary missions he would get bored and forget about the game since that's what happened to me for the most part.

The list was pretty good for your favorites, honestly can't agree with Final Fantasy XIII being bad, but that's just my opinion.

I remember Ben tearing JC2 a new asshole, at least taking a mickey out of the damn name -runs to rewatch review-

I mostly agree with the list, especially bioshock 2 and ff13 -vomits-

Very good list Yahtzee loved the change of pace from the normal award ceremony.

Did a piano player invade Yahtzee's tasteful mansion?

I found myself largely agreeing with the list (though I would have switched Other M and Force FF13 on the list), but honestly your awards show was better done. The inventive names and setting were preferable to a simple list. But at the same time, I appreciate experimentation, and look forward to next week's show

I have a friend who also loves Just Cause 2.

Personally, the only thing I liked about it was driving really fast, and driving really fast off large mountains.

josh797:

YAHTZEE, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD, PLAY MASS EFFECT 2!!!!!!

He did ME2 months ago. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1461-Mass-Effect-2

Was totally not expecting Just Cause 2. Nice one.

I hate to do it, but I'm going to have to defend Team Ninja. Other M was directed and written by Y. Sakamoto, the co-creator of the entire series. He needs a share of the blame too.

Haha that was an awesome top 5, i had gotten a PS3 as a gift from my wife this past holiday season, she also got me some games...FF13, and.....Bioshock 2....she thought i was shedding tears of joy, well up until i grabbed a noose and almost hung myself (j/k)....

Ah well you can't have everything in a woman you married, obviously she doesn't know shit about video games lol.

michiehoward:
I remember Ben tearing JC2 a new asshole, at least taking a mickey out of the damn name -runs to rewatch review-

I mostly agree with the list, especially bioshock 2 and ff13 -vomits-

Bioshock 2 was awful, and especially dull when compared to the original game. I mean, the gameplay is competent, but everything else is several steps back. The plot in particular is stupid-something I never thought I could say with confidence about a game with the "Bioshock" name. Not that Bioshock was ever scary exactly, but the atmosphere has taking many, many hits with the sequel.

But more than that, the worst thing about Bioshock 2 is the legions of fans who will leap to its defense, proclaiming that yes, Sophia Lamb is just smart enough to have persuaded hundreds of varied and largely insane Splicers to follow her cause, but not intelligent or sane enough (and neither is anyone else around her, apparently) to have realized her ultimate plan is FREAKING MORONIC, and all previous attempts along those lines have been complete failures.

Ugh, Bioshock 2 is just one of "those" games I could rant for an hour on. Yeah, technically it probably isn't one of the worst games of the year, but it's not good.

Anyway, watch Just Cause 2's sales go way up now. I'm still not going to buy it because it looks freaking boring. I'm sick of sandbox crime games.

I liked his list of bottom 5 than his list of top 5. lol.

And it wasn't like Bioshock 2 was bad...but wasn't good. I think he might have said this in his original review, but it was more like an expansion pack with extras. It was missing the original story and plot twist of the first one. Hence Bioshock needing to transform into Bioshock Infinite.

And if he (and anyone, for that matter) didn't find video games this year to be too impressive, he's going to be more disappointed next year. I predict 2011 will be all about sequels to shooter game franchises (no matter how many sequels they've already produced) and a total focus on motion sensor games, whether it be Kinect, Move or Wii Motion Plus.

Great top five, lowest five there. The choices made sense to me. Keep expanding your devices of reviewing.

Giest4life:

dududf:

Giest4life:

Is that in defense of the game? Because that is borderline retarded.

I think he means, in less rude terms that the game's horror comes from the atmosphere in the game. I'm not sure, but maybe the atmosphere didn't have much of an effect on you, either due to you not "getting" it, or not immersing yourself enough. On the contrary what he said, intelligence has nothing to do with the atmosphere, you just need to let it get in your head.

Gotta be a little submissive dare I say for it to have an effect, if you don't let the atmosphere crawl over you, you won't be able to enjoy it properly.

I actually quiet liked the game, I was merely remarking on the behalf of another user.

My apologies, I assumed it was you that was responding to that guys post.

FF14 was actually much much worse than FF13 if you can believe it.

I actually cried with laughter whilst watching this. Yahtzee you old cheek-pincher, you can still make me laugh after all these years.

Woohoo for Red Dead Redemption, I'm a huge Western film and game lover so practically raped Red Dead when it came out. Too few in the Western category for my liking, and only one of which is very good.

In all fairness, it really WASN'T a good year.

Although I have got and will be playing Amnesia :3... and I might just try Just cause XD sounds fun.

*didn't read the whole thread*
So I'm guessing Kane/Lynch lured a completely inexplicable number of fans to give what-passes-for-praise to the game, while Metroid Other M got a sadly explicable number of same?
*goes to check*

Misho-:

Steve5513:

Misho-:
Hehehe Nice Lists Ben, had me for a second there when you said it "murdered a classic" I thought you meant Castlevania, but nop... I have to agree with that List. At least the Worst of 2010 since the Top was more like YOUR top while the worst was more like THE worst lol.

Castlevania was already murdered way before this latest piece of crap. It was murdered by all the other shitty 3D Castlevania games.

Haven't played any of the games on the list because I'm poor. Someone give me money. Please? Have a heart people, it's Christmas in a year! I've got kids and stuff.

Lol well I would like to ask if you are poor then how did you get to play the "lastest piece of crap" from Konami? But knowing that is one of those Love it or Leave it games I won't try to sway you one way or another...

My top 5 aren't quite the same as anyone here... But if I had to include a bad game there in the worst 5 I would say Front Mission... Good controls, bad story, bad customization, no music in the background and poorly Balanced multi...

"Morgan Bernard was behind anything. Who is Morgan Bernard? I haven't a clue and neither do you."
The story of the Front Mission series in a nutshell. By comparison, Metal Gear Solid retconned in an overarching storyline rather well.

He didn't play Vanquish this year :(

He better review it sooner or later, although the gameplay was amazing, the story/characters/dialog are just oozing with opportunities for puns.

I haven't played Kane and Lynch 2, but I do want to point out you got worst game of the year right. Halo Reach was literally a fucking waste of time. The multiplayer is now so convoluted and inane that it has none of the pick up and play potential all the other Halos had. That's all I gave a fuck about because the storyline from all the Halo games was pure rubbish and anyone who thinks otherwise is a twat. The words wafty cunt come to mind when I think of it; it was just okay, and afterwards it overstayed it's welcome and made me give less of a damn each reoccurring sequel. And when I heard about Halo Reach's storyline I was reminded at why I didn't like ODSTs storyline: characters I never gave a fuck about and never will and have no bearing on the original plot only to be thrown in somewhere they can smash their square pegs in, only this time they are going off to die. At least they had the decency to kill off in the end; we might see an ODST 2 which will completely convince me that Microsoft only likes one trick ponies as exclusives on their consoles. They did it to Rare who is still sitting on enough intellectual property people actually give two fucks about but hasn't come out with a decent game on the console yet and the Conker remake doesn't count, and now they're doing it to Bungie. I'd prefer shit camera angles with a shit storyline and shit gameplay from Kane and Lynch, a game that is only the second in a series and at least shot itself in the foot early, than for Bungie to keep fucking the corpse of Halo for all the money it's worth. It's going the direction of that Star Wars sequel that had the fancy physics technology and AI that no one gave a fuck about because they just force pushed everything out of their way anyway; physics technology and AI I'd rather see in Saints Row 3, or possibly this space game you used to update us on. Speaking of which it better not be some spinoff from 7 Days like Art of Theft was to the games that actually involved Trilby, because if I have to deal with that Somerset dick one more bloody time...

I admire you Yahtzee, I am glad someone else sees that Square-Enix just wants to mainly focus on Video shots/Movies pretty much. About Five hours of gameplay total, I only got to play about forty minutes of it within and I don't even get to control their actions they just do as I say like I am their head coach or something.

Nice reviews of course, it was creative and well done. I am glad that Red Dead Redemption and Dead Rising 2 made it onto the positive side, those games were fun beyond imaginable of course. That, and I laughed so hard when you were joking about Halo Reach being worst game ever Haha.

teh_Canape:
I must be the only one who actually likes Bioshock 2

No you aren't. I liked Bioshock 2, I didnt give a damn about the plot but the gameplay was fantastic. It was fun enough for me to see it to the end unlike the origional Bioshock. I always lost interest on the bee level, though I did once make it to the point where Atlas betray's you. Also Bioshock 2 didn't rely on a plot twist, but still had a fun story. At least Bioshock 2 didn't equal System Shock 2.

When he almost said that Fable 3 was the worst game of the year, I almost screamed FUCK YOU! Fable 3 was not the perfect game, but it was a good game and he had no right to "almost" call it the worst game of the year. (I love Fable, but only because Fable was the game that made me love games and introduced me to them.)

burn e:
couldn't agree more with you Yatzee!

i've played all of the games ecxept: Amnesia

(but i was kind of hoping for assasin's creed brotherhood to be on the top 5 good side)

amnesia is easily the best survival horror game in the past 4 or 5 years. and its on mac. PWN

if the old republic sucks all star wars fans get a complimentary noose from lucas arts

Yes...
Just Cause 2 got best game of 2010 according to Yhatzee!

Misho-:

Steve5513:

Misho-:
Hehehe Nice Lists Ben, had me for a second there when you said it "murdered a classic" I thought you meant Castlevania, but nop... I have to agree with that List. At least the Worst of 2010 since the Top was more like YOUR top while the worst was more like THE worst lol.

Castlevania was already murdered way before this latest piece of crap. It was murdered by all the other shitty 3D Castlevania games.

Haven't played any of the games on the list because I'm poor. Someone give me money. Please? Have a heart people, it's Christmas in a year! I've got kids and stuff.

Lol well I would like to ask if you are poor then how did you get to play the "lastest piece of crap" from Konami? But knowing that is one of those Love it or Leave it games I won't try to sway you one way or another...

My top 5 aren't quite the same as anyone here... But if I had to include a bad game there in the worst 5 I would say Front Mission... Good controls, bad story, bad customization, no music in the background and poorly Balanced multi...

T'was a Christmas present.

Srdjan Tanaskovic:
Well I didn't except Yahtzee to hate Other M that much

That game pissed me off so royally that when he mentioned it I went into a rant to everyone nearby about how fucking offensive that game was and how much I think Team Ninja should just fucking stay away from game franchises with female protagonists. Other M is one of the very few games that I call outright sexist I hate Team Ninja for Other M.
If I don't control myself I'll make a 3000 word essay right here about my hatred towards this game so I'm gonna stop there.

Bang25:

teh_Canape:
I must be the only one who actually likes Bioshock 2

No you aren't. I liked Bioshock 2, I didnt give a damn about the plot but the gameplay was fantastic. It was fun enough for me to see it to the end unlike the origional Bioshock. I always lost interest on the bee level, though I did once make it to the point where Atlas betray's you. Also Bioshock 2 didn't rely on a plot twist, but still had a fun story. At least Bioshock 2 didn't equal System Shock 2.

When he almost said that Fable 3 was the worst game of the year, I almost screamed FUCK YOU! Fable 3 was not the perfect game, but it was a good game and he had no right to "almost" call it the worst game of the year. (I love Fable, but only because Fable was the game that made me love games and introduced me to them.)

I liked it too, but I did like the plot (I may be the only one who did) personally I was more motivated to rescue Eleanor in the second game then I cared about Jack escaping from Rapture. When I really think about it I liked Bioshock 2 more then Bioshock one (please reframe from flaming me if any of you liked Bioshock better then its sequel).

Lordpils:

Srdjan Tanaskovic:
Well I didn't except Yahtzee to hate Other M that much

That game pissed me off so royally that when he mentioned it I went into a rant to everyone nearby about how fucking offensive that game was and how much I think Team Ninja should just fucking stay away from game franchises with female protagonists. Other M is one of the very few games that I call outright sexist I hate Team Ninja for Other M.
If I don't control myself I'll make a 3000 word essay right here about my hatred towards this game so I'm gonna stop there.

Team Ninja didn't have anything to do with the story. And Just what makes it sexist? that Samus takes order from a man? by that logic the army is full of racist people

I doubt FFXIII was worse than epic mickey, butother than that good list. The halo reach comment made my heart stop, and I don't evven HAVE a 360

Pages PREV 1 . . . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . . . 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here