Zero Punctuation: Top 5 of 2010

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 . . . 19 NEXT

Lordpils:

Srdjan Tanaskovic:

Lordpils:

That game pissed me off so royally that when he mentioned it I went into a rant to everyone nearby about how fucking offensive that game was and how much I think Team Ninja should just fucking stay away from game franchises with female protagonists. Other M is one of the very few games that I call outright sexist I hate Team Ninja for Other M.
If I don't control myself I'll make a 3000 word essay right here about my hatred towards this game so I'm gonna stop there.

Team Ninja didn't have anything to do with the story. And Just what makes it sexist? that Samus takes order from a man? by that logic the army is full of racist people

Fair enough Team ninja had nothing to do with the story, but you wanna know what makes it sexist? How about Samus going from silent protagonist who is effectively just an asskicker to a whining emotional wreck who won't do a fucking thing until she's told it's okay. A submissive character who won't shut the fuck up and who cracks under pressure at the first sign of conflict they not only retconned Samus they retconned her into something she is the exact opposite of. Other M's story was melodramatic bullshit Metroid prime 3: Corruption had an emotional moment at the end that put every line of dialog in Other M to shame. God dammit I want to stop talking about that piece of shit!

I could go on and say tha tyou are wrong. But I will not

I'm surprised Yahtzee didn't mention that Amnesia has a level creator and that people have made "custom stories" that you can play. I can thank Yahtzee for getting me into Penumbra and Amnesia. Even if it hasn't really scared me yet the atmosphere is just great!

Great list, I enjoyed seeing what you liked and what you didn't. Just Cause 2 is indeed so much fun, I want to fix my PS3 and play it some more.

Loved it!

Especially how he faked us out (twice) at the end!

I'm really glad someone recognizes the genius that was Just Cause 2! Everyone keeps complaining about how repetitive it was and how the story sucked but I had way to much fun with the grappling hook to care and the environments were absolutely stunning.

Apparently, Yatzee only likes indie platformers and sandbox games now. I don't like sandbox games. I find the lack of structure demotivating. By the same token, I find the excessive hand-holding linearity of a game like FFXIII really dull. I absolutely agree with his assessment of FFXIII wanting to be a movie, and that it wasn't a good game because of that.

I am a non-obsessive Halo fan and I thought Reach really did belong on the worst games of the year list. It was competent, but it felt like a huge step backwards in storytelling and character development from ODST. I also maintain that, single player-wise, ODST is the best game of the series. I would totally buy an ODST 2.

LackingSaint:
Yeah Yahtzee, "hastily made and not neccesary" are totally acceptable criticisms for video gam- OH WAIT SILENT HILL 2

Sooooooooo...you've played both Silent Hill 1 and 2 and came to that conclusion, or are you just talking?

I can't really comment on Bioshock 2 or any of the other games yet. I have Limbo and Red Dead Redemption to play (and I'm going to get Dead Rising 2 soon) but I've been playing PS2 games that I missed instead as of late.

Surprised Red Dead Redemption was so high and that Final Fantasy 13 wasn't higher as well. I do remember him loving Just Cause 2, though; I remember wanting to buy it after his review, because I don't normally hear him get so excited about a game.

I wander if he ever got to play Deadly Premonition? Seeing how he can ignore graphical and gameplay issues if the underlying story and characters are interesting enough, I'd kind of like to hear his opinions.

Giest4life:

alex8039:
Review

Julian Daniel:
I don't get why People like Amnesia. I couldn't find anything scary about it. It's just boring.

It's not overtly scary. Most of the scariness comes from your own mind, that requires a certain level of intelligence.

Is that in defense of the game? Because that is borderline retarded.

It's funny that he called you stupid; and you didn't notice, effectively proving him right.

Incedentally, I discover on later pages that the two of you settled your differences and I've only served to make myself look like a jackass. Sorry.

Dead Rising 2's dumb people are fun to have around analogy made me Lol. I actually expected it to win. Just Cause 2 surprised me. I though he'd put it in, but top? i dunno. I mean, the over the top fun is about the ONLY thing that game has going for it. Missions were unspectacular, The world was pointlessly massive (even though i can't say it was painful to get around or anything) and the characters and story were......well, what do you think!?

While I liked Bioshock 2, I'm not surprised it made the list. I am however, surprised to not see Fable III on the list. And surprised he hasn't reviewed it yet... I want to see him tear it apart!

face_head_mouth:

LackingSaint:
Yeah Yahtzee, "hastily made and not neccesary" are totally acceptable criticisms for video gam- OH WAIT SILENT HILL 2

Sooooooooo...you've played both Silent Hill 1 and 2 and came to that conclusion, or are you just talking?

I have in fact played both, and I mean obviously i'm not saying Silent Hill 2 is a bad game because like I said something being released quickly (2 years between Silent Hill 1 and 2, 1 less year than it was between Bioshock 1 and 2) isn't a legitimate criticism in 99% of scenarios (The only exception I can think of is L4D1 and L4D2 coming out too close to eachother, voiding L4D1's multiplayer and it's community, but that's a multiplayer thing).

Similarly, Silent Hill 1 left no 'build-up' or really 'opening' for a sequel, being, much like Rapture, this strange desolate world that seemed to have been explored by the end of the 1st game. And yet Silent Hill 2 came out and was frankly amazing. So how Yahtzee, who effing LOVES SH2, can say that Bioshock 2 is bad because of how quickly it was made and how little opening there was for a sequel kinds of confuses me.

Not to be too flamey though, I mean if he don't like the game he don't like the game, but those are kind of bullshit criticisms, and I think we all know Bioshock 2 is FAR from one of the worst games of 2010.

LackingSaint:
Silent Hill 1 left no 'build-up' or really 'opening' for a sequel, being, much like Rapture, this strange desolate world that seemed to have been explored by the end of the 1st game. And yet Silent Hill 2 came out and was frankly amazing.

I get the strong impression that you haven't played Silent Hill 3, which is an actual sequel, the last great Silent Hill thus far, and clearly makes the first game's happy ending seem like sequel bait.

I was pretty sure Just Cause 2 was going to be one of his top five games of the year. I didn't think it was going to be number one though. I'm glad it got at least one game of the year award, it deserves it.

When I saw Halo:Reach pop up in the worst game position, I thought the Escapist forums would be overwhelmed with flame wars of fanboyishness. So I'm glad it was a joke. Also, I want to buy Just Cause 2 just a little more than I used to.

NOTE: I DO NOT THINK HALO FANS ARE FANBOYS, I ENJOY HALO AND I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE HAS TO SAY.

Well this is quite hopeful -- I haven't played any of the top 3 games, so I have a bit of a backlog now to add to the anticipated games list of 2011.

I like the list. Funny Zero punctuation.

I coulnd't agree more on Just Cause 2!! Tis my fave game of the year too. In fact im still palying it right now. 88 hours and barely 80% through. Yes sure it could take less to collect everything but where's the fun in just that, when you could happily drag bad guys along the sea whilst hunting for black boxes. Best value for money game to date!!

My wrost is actually Fable 3 simply because it was half the "man" Fable 2 was. Short, too easy, shit menus. Only redeeming quality was the voice acting.

LackingSaint:

I have in fact played both, and I mean obviously i'm not saying Silent Hill 2 is a bad game because like I said something being released quickly (2 years between Silent Hill 1 and 2, 1 less year than it was between Bioshock 1 and 2) isn't a legitimate criticism in 99% of scenarios (The only exception I can think of is L4D1 and L4D2 coming out too close to eachother, voiding L4D1's multiplayer and it's community, but that's a multiplayer thing).

Similarly, Silent Hill 1 left no 'build-up' or really 'opening' for a sequel, being, much like Rapture, this strange desolate world that seemed to have been explored by the end of the 1st game. And yet Silent Hill 2 came out and was frankly amazing. So how Yahtzee, who effing LOVES SH2, can say that Bioshock 2 is bad because of how quickly it was made and how little opening there was for a sequel kinds of confuses me.

Not to be too flamey though, I mean if he don't like the game he don't like the game, but those are kind of bullshit criticisms, and I think we all know Bioshock 2 is FAR from one of the worst games of 2010.

Well, there is a great Technical improvement from SH2 to SH1...
Anyway, the SH 2 story is independent of SH1. SH2 isn't a direct sequel to the events of the first game. And thats is god because "Silent Hill 1 left no 'build-up' or really 'opening' for a sequel".

Now BS2 (sigh). No technical advances. Direct continuation without much logic. Rapture not imploded in BS1? Oh! They imploded but some part stay intact so they could roll a sequel!

And the game is all rushed. I mean, everything in BS1 even the most mundane items are carefully placed. In BS2 everything is careless spread all over the place. At some point, I was all up to the maximum, inclusive money. This not even make sense! Money is never enough!

So, explore to find the recordings don't make sense because the story is not good. Explore to find items makes no sense because you're always full of everything (including money!). The plasmids are no longer needed (except to proceed in some areas) and the dynamics of Rescue/r@pe little sisters was fuck up. You see, even if sequences like Silent hill 2 or No one lives Forever 2 had been made in a week and Bioshock 2 had taken 10 years to be done it still feels rushed in comparison.

And you know why the game was rushed? Probably because they already working on BioShock Infinite during the production of BS2. So they let the development in the hands of team B.

Bioshock 2 it's a evil hastily sequel that exist only to buy more time to develope the real sequel.

Is there any reason Yahtzee hasn't reveiwed Fable III? I'd really like to see what he thinks about it :)

teh_Canape:
I must be the only one who actually likes Bioshock 2

I liked it too, altho I can see his points. Same for FFXIII. At first I was like DX then I saw the proverbial light.

im amazed he never put halo on the list. if even just to piss off fanboys.
well, great showdown as always, good sir, waiting for 2011!

spiggy:
Apparently, Yatzee only likes indie platformers and sandbox games now.

Amnesia's an indie platformer now? When did this happen?

shimyia:
i haven't played: bioshock nor B2 so i dunno
ff13 still dunno
RDR, SW:TFU ... dunno
never heard of Metroid
limbo ... dunno
JC2 dunno
Dead Rising 2 love it :D
halo dunno

p.s. oh c'mon yahtzee where's Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood ????

That's a bit rich coming from someone who played only one game on his list.

What surprised me the most about this list is that out of all these games i've only played, like two. Limbo and Bioshock 2, and i haven't even finished them yet. But then again its been a stressfull year for me personally. Heres hoping that 2011 will be a little more calm, so i can catch up.

lacktheknack:

shimyia:
ff13 still dunno
never heard of Metroid
limbo ... dunno
JC2 dunno
halo dunno

well sorry that i don't have a super PC or a Cosole

shimyia:

lacktheknack:

shimyia:
ff13 still dunno
never heard of Metroid
limbo ... dunno
JC2 dunno
halo dunno

How are you playing Dead Rising? Or Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood?

Mass Effect 2 is nowhere to be seen? aww :(
Regardless, i feel Just Cause 2 deserved GotY.
Heres to another year of ZP!

this one was by far best ive seen for weeks from zero punctuation, i enjoyed very much, thank you.

lacktheknack:

deserteagleeye:
I only saw a lets play of Amnesia through 1/4 of the game and it was pretty scary, but I was kind of disappointed that *SPOILER* the dog that he was running from could be killed so easily. That ruined my image of the rest of the game. Is it really that good?

There's one sequence in the Church Choir area that wins my award for "Most Hostile Atmosphere in a Game... EVER".

Seriously, it gets incredible at the end.

But... easily killed dog? That's Penumbra: Overture, from the makers of Amnesia. In Penumbra: Black Plague and Amnesia, you can't kill anything at all, let alone easily. You've been watching the wrong LP!

Whoops! Thats embarrassing! Okay I'm going to try both games so I don't mistaken anything. But I swear that dog in "PENUMBRA" was really easily killed. I'll play it myself to find out :)

Horny Ico:

Giest4life:

alex8039:
Review It's not overtly scary. Most of the scariness comes from your own mind, that requires a certain level of intelligence.

Is that in defense of the game? Because that is borderline retarded.

It's funny that he called you stupid; and you didn't notice, effectively proving him right.

Incedentally, I discover on later pages that the two of you settled your differences and I've only served to make myself look like a jackass. Sorry.

Also, if you notice that the first post was not directed towards me---and that makes you look like a jackass.
Also, ignoring is not the same as not noticing. Which, in hindsight, I should have done with your post.

Fuck yes! Just Cause 2 was my game of the year, too.

I still haven't bothered to play the story campaign of the game because of the sandbox gameplay, and I bought that thing 8 months ago.

Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary was the "bad" music. Just to help you guys look it up.

I normally don't agree with Top # lists through and through, this one is pretty close though.

I just which Halo Reach would have been Bottom 1.
/I keed

Ham_authority95:
Fuck yes! Just Cause 2 was my game of the year, too.

I still haven't bothered to play the story campaign of the game because of the sandbox gameplay, and I bought that thing 8 months ago.

It only takes seven agency missions to actually complete the game. So it's worth getting it out of the way. Plus it's really easy

lacktheknack:

shimyia:

lacktheknack:

How are you playing Dead Rising? Or Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood?

DR2 with the worst graphics and ACB at a friends Xbox360

Good list, thugh I'm suprized that Super Meat Boy wasn't in there, that game was awesome, and a pic of a WoW box... a hint of things to come...? Or just him not having the patience to play the thing.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 . . . 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here