Zero Punctuation: Top 5 of 2010

Pages PREV 1 . . . 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 NEXT

Srdjan Tanaskovic:

Lordpils:

Srdjan Tanaskovic:
Team Ninja didn't have anything to do with the story. And Just what makes it sexist? that Samus takes order from a man? by that logic the army is full of racist people

Fair enough Team ninja had nothing to do with the story, but you wanna know what makes it sexist? How about Samus going from silent protagonist who is effectively just an asskicker to a whining emotional wreck who won't do a fucking thing until she's told it's okay. A submissive character who won't shut the fuck up and who cracks under pressure at the first sign of conflict they not only retconned Samus they retconned her into something she is the exact opposite of. Other M's story was melodramatic bullshit Metroid prime 3: Corruption had an emotional moment at the end that put every line of dialog in Other M to shame. God dammit I want to stop talking about that piece of shit!

I could go on and say tha tyou are wrong. But I will not

To explain what Metroid Other M is, is it's not loudly sexist. What it really is, is a sick relationship. Samus feelings for her ex-commander were beyond right. Putting her life in danger for him, keeping her heat suit off untill he told her to turn it on, almost dieing.

He even shot her to get her attention, he could've killed her. No, he couldn't call her attention, he needed to shoot her.

This games plot was poorly made, and got worse because it was more written that Gameplay would get in the way of said story then help it. The heat world is proof of this, if the story was made to blend with gameplay, then that means the commander was watching her slowly die and waited 'till she nearly was dead before saying, 'okay, you can now turn your heat armour on.'

After the Kane & Lynch review it would be impossible to surprise me with your number one worst, I was however surprised with bioshock 2 over say Singularity, Alpha Protocol or Dante's Inferno.

ThatNintendoFanGuy:
And if he (and anyone, for that matter) didn't find video games this year to be too impressive, he's going to be more disappointed next year. I predict 2011 will be all about sequels to shooter game franchises (no matter how many sequels they've already produced) and a total focus on motion sensor games, whether it be Kinect, Move or Wii Motion Plus.

Oh how naive

Skyrim
Catherine
LBP2
Arkham City
Mass Effect 3
The Last Guardian
MVC3
Dragon Age 2
Homefront

Etcetera

Why is Red Dead Redemption on everyones top 10
-Its hella easy
-It gets boring after awhile
-The story made me yawn and not give a damn
-It is literaly Grand Theft Auto 4 but set in the wild west

I know everyone has their own opinions but really? Red Dead?
2010 was a crappy year, so crappy in fact Ive been playing old games because of the lack of originality in the newer games, Most new games are only fun because of multi-player support

Also dont reply or say anything about this comment. I wanna see how many Reply or talk about my comment

I'm not vain i just wanna see how many people do it

Just Cause 2 was really a game that decided to show off all the crazy you could do in a sandbox game. Unfortunately, the sheer size of the map kept me from going past around 40% completion, which is funny in it's own right because I think you get an achievement for getting something like 33% completion. In terms of giving you tools to cause mayhem, some great, actually colorful graphics (a rarity lately) and an actually workable interface, few sandbox games can actually hold a candle to Just Cause 2. A flaw I can really find is the lack of...traveling sound. I mainly used the grapple hook/parachute combo and it would have been nice to have something like a personal radio in order to listen to some funny talk radio, or corny Panauan music. Other than that though, a forgiving targeting system on normal that mixed great with a run and gun style of gameplay and a plethora of ways to achieve a massive level of destruction made for a rare game that many developers could seriously only hope to make.

Good lists, disagree with FFXIII but am a bit of a fan boy has to be said, really funny ending

MulticolorCharizard:
After the Kane & Lynch review it would be impossible to surprise me with your number one worst, I was however surprised with bioshock 2 over say Singularity, Alpha Protocol or Dante's Inferno.

I think it was the fact that it was not as good as the original and clearly a money spin that ticked him off :)

*raaaaaaage quit!* Other M was soo epix! To each his own, great list Yahtz!
Here's to another year of tearing the souls out of games!

Haha nice vid, some of your quotes are mmmm.

The baileys at the end caught me by surprise I must admit hahaha was hilarious XD

I have very different tastes to Yahtzee it seems.

But anyway, I think 2010 was a weak year. Mass Effect 2 was the only game that I really fell in love with (although I am still to play Call of Pripyat which I assume I will love). Red Dead Redemption was great, but not quite fantastic. As was Brotherhood...

And that's about it. The others I was either disappointed by or weren't my style of game.

I can't see how Just Cause 2 could be the game of the year, but each to their own.

Dear Yahtzee,

I registered this account to make this single post and let you know how much I liked your video. In a world of shit reviewers, dumbasses sucking up to big titles, and weeaboos deluding themselves into thinking games like Final Fantasy 13 and Metroid Other M have ANY redeeming qualities, you are the single beam of light where everything else is an ominous and encroaching dark cloud over my hopes for the gaming community. You have a very big fan in me.

Sincerely,
me

Hilarious, but... what about Brotherhood? It should have been 5th best game at least! Ah well, can't have everything, I suppose.

Well... At least Epic Mickey wasn't on the Bottom 5 list... Although maybe it's a really close number 6.

That's just awesome that Just Cause 2 won, I loved that game.

"not much of a year" indeed. I seem to remember you not giving those top two games particularly favorable reviews (even by your standards)

its good though. because I glanced at both of these games and went "wow! that could be fun!... though they could always find a way to make it not fun..." so now I will have to give them a go!

I'm more amused that a bottle of Baileys Irish Cream was reccuring theme. No surprise for Limbo, Amnesia and Dead Rising 2. I wouldn't mind seeing a best games of a century or something where as games are reviewed as far back as pong and lazer shooters, showing how much gaming has changed and how much better some of the older ones really are.

deserteagleeye:
I only saw a lets play of Amnesia through 1/4 of the game and it was pretty scary, but I was kind of disappointed that *SPOILER* the dog that he was running from could be killed so easily. That ruined my image of the rest of the game. Is it really that good?

It sounds as though you watched a Lets-Play of Frictionals' other game (that uses the same engine as Amnesia) "Penumbra." Amnesia didn't have any dog-enemies, let alone killing of an enemy. Litterally, there is no fighting. If you DO get into a fight, it's dramatically and gruesomely stacked against you. Like an abusive Nanny-Freddy-Kruger.

Amnesia is like an Adventure game from the Zork era of gaming, but with atmosphere. Maybe it'd be more reconiseable to reference Myst? Anyway, it's the kind of game where you find items, like a bucket, to use on a pool of water which fills it. Then you use bucket on lit fireplace to put out the fire to retrieve the iron key sitting in the coals (which you knew was there cause someone wrote a note about it earlier) which opens a door to the next area. That puzzle itself never actually happens, but there are many like it.

It's a great game. Don't let a video of its predecessor game Penumbra fool you. It is the single scariest game I have ever played, and I like to think of myself as a great big fangirl of the survival horror genre (before someone jacked it full of Action-Juice).

VampiresDontSparkle:
Hilarious, but... what about Brotherhood? It should have been 5th best game at least! Ah well, can't have everything, I suppose.

Brotherhood probably wouldn't have beat out Assassins Creed 2. At least, not by Yahtzees standards. I'll tell you why; I've noticed Yahtzee has a thing against sequels that don't bring much to the table. The advance of AssCreed from 1 to 2 was amazing! Like the devs really took notes from the players. Not only that, they made a gripping story that matched and rivals the original. If anything, AC2 deserves the stand, not Brotherhood. Brotherhood, as a sequel did considerably less than AC2, but uses the same engine. If anything, it deserves the Riding-Coat-tails award.

Personally, I'm surprised AC2 isn't on the list. When I was finished with AC2, I wanted MORE! I got 100% on the game, so there was litterally nothing else to be done. Brotherhood was the next best step.

if mass effect 2 were to change places with amnesia, i would both agree to the list and get a great laugh out of it.

if mass effect 2 were to change places with amnesia, i would both agree to the list and get a great laugh out of it.

teh_Canape:
I must be the only one who actually likes Bioshock 2

Nah, I liked it too, mainly because of the story and my 11 year old Sis loved Bioshock 2 to death....Hell I was so proud of her when she realized what a piece of crap Final Fantasy XIII was in which she responded "This isn't final fantasy" She made me tear up and feel like a real big brother for giving her an actual taste in gaming. :')

Jezzascmezza:
That's just awesome that Just Cause 2 won, I loved that game.

Same here, I loved it because....."Just Cause" ....2 ^_^ Damn you Yahtzee XD

NoCure:
I normally don't agree with Top # lists through and through, this one is pretty close though.

I just which Halo Reach would have been Bottom 1.
/I keed

I was hoping Black Ops would be Bottom 1....but then I played the Zombie section and my faith was somewhat restored.

Nothing says redemption like playing as JFK, Fidel Castro, and Richard Nixon while shooting Zombies.

Srdjan Tanaskovic:

Lordpils:

Srdjan Tanaskovic:
Team Ninja didn't have anything to do with the story. And Just what makes it sexist? that Samus takes order from a man? by that logic the army is full of racist people

Fair enough Team ninja had nothing to do with the story, but you wanna know what makes it sexist? How about Samus going from silent protagonist who is effectively just an asskicker to a whining emotional wreck who won't do a fucking thing until she's told it's okay. A submissive character who won't shut the fuck up and who cracks under pressure at the first sign of conflict they not only retconned Samus they retconned her into something she is the exact opposite of. Other M's story was melodramatic bullshit Metroid prime 3: Corruption had an emotional moment at the end that put every line of dialog in Other M to shame. God dammit I want to stop talking about that piece of shit!

I could go on and say tha tyou are wrong. But I will not

Actually he's correct on every aspect. At what point in any Metroid game did you see Samus unable to handle a mission? NONE! But here they decide to throw all that bravery out the window, despite the fact that this takes place after Metroid Prime 1 in which she took on Pirates, Chozo Ghosts, Giant Plants and Rocks, Genetically enhanced pirates, Metroids, Ridley (The Monster that killed her Family) and even the Ultimate Metroid. All without having to monolouge a single flippin' thing or becoming emotionally distraught and needing the comforting voice of her bastardized boyfriend to tell her it's ok.

Basically Other M, turned Samus from a Badass into a little girl. SCREW YOU TEAM NINJA!!

alex8039:
Review

Julian Daniel:
I don't get why People like Amnesia. I couldn't find anything scary about it. It's just boring.

It's not overtly scary. Most of the scariness comes from your own mind, that requires a certain level of intelligence.

It does.

OP: Nice video, never played any of those games exept halo reach that you named, not a big fan of modern games but it would be fitting if CoD BO were between the shitty games.

The lists is nice and all. But it baffles me how Just Cause 2 and Dead Rising 2 can be in the top 2. And yet Mass Effect 2 is nowhere to be seen. He didnt even mention it in the video.

I'm sure opinions about the quality of Bioshock 2 differ greatly, but what I don't understand is why Yahtzee is so adamant that the first game didn't need a sequel. The developers have gone through the trouble to build this rich, fascinating world full of hundreds of potentially interesting characters, and he just wants to walk away from it? It'd be like baking a delicious cake and eating only a single slice.

What no Fallout New Vegas?

shimyia:

lacktheknack:

shimyia:
i haven't played: bioshock nor B2 so i dunno
ff13 still dunno
RDR, SW:TFU ... dunno
never heard of Metroid
limbo ... dunno
JC2 dunno
Dead Rising 2 love it :D
halo dunno

p.s. oh c'mon yahtzee where's Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood ????

That's a bit rich coming from someone who played only one game on his list.

well sorry that i don't have a super PC or a Cosole

Well OK, it's not as if everyone can be super-well-informed on games, I myself haven't played any on either of his lis-WAIT. Wait, you've never even heard of Metroid?? As in, you haven't heard of the entire series before? Or do you just mean Other M?

EDIT: Also, to everyone in this thread:

Yahtzee on Twitter:
The music in ZP this week is 'Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary' by Purcell. It is not 'the Clockwork Orange music'

A good use of Henry Purcell's music in this video I think.

Anyway, watch Just Cause 2's sales go way up now. I'm still not going to buy it because it looks freaking boring. I'm sick of sandbox crime games.

qft: Yeah I am getting real sick of sandbox games, they are either getting so large its on the side of ridiculous, and you get lost in the "too much to do", or so its small and curtailed with no freedom.....its called happy media game makers

Late response but I haven't played Kane and Lynch and despite all the hate I doubt I would hate it as much... again, as much.

As for Just Cause 2, good point. I actually found myself playing it a lot, perhaps the most this year... so of course a game can still be fun without being "cinematic, compelling etc".

Moffman:

MulticolorCharizard:

I think it was the fact that it was not as good as the original and clearly a money spin that ticked him off :)

I can understand that, It's a cash in, and the original was enourmously superior, but as a game, nothing more, it wasnt too insulting.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here