Zero Punctuation: Top 5 of 2010

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 19 NEXT

I played a just cause 2 demo and almost rushed out to buy a ps3 just because of that.

/agree with all of the good ones, I never played the bad ones

I think I'm the only person who didn't like bioshock 1.

oh no! i liked EVERY SINGLE GAME on his lists! i even liked 2 of his bad list more than one of his good list! my opinions are clearly at great fault if they directly contradict yahtzee's to such a degree.

Now you make me want to play Just Cause 2. I admit the demo was fun when you can use his hook to grab enemies, fly on helicopters, and do whatever on a big (limited) map. And also Dead Rising 2, but after seeing all the DLC the 360 got (Case Zero and Case West), it makes the PS3 version feel left out.

K&L 2 definitely deserved the number 1 shit list. you can tell if you saw his review and watch the full gameplay on YouTube. I almost thought of a different besides that, but when he said sequel, I got lost in guessing.

Giest4life:

alex8039:
Review

Julian Daniel:
I don't get why People like Amnesia. I couldn't find anything scary about it. It's just boring.

It's not overtly scary. Most of the scariness comes from your own mind, that requires a certain level of intelligence.

Is that in defense of the game? Because that is borderline retarded.

That's the foundation of any good psychological horror. Clearly this concept is wasted on you.

Did Zeppotron have anything to do with the production of this episode?

Ha I don't own a single game on either list. I guess I have no personality.

Sh1nobu:
I beleve everyone agrees that Bioshock 2īs place came as a suprise.

The really sad part is I actually expected him to do it. Which isn't the same as saying that the game deserves it.

To be perfectly honest, it saddens me a bit that much of the hate for Bioshock 2 has less to do with its quality and more to do with Bioshock fans who never even gave the game a chance by deeming it crap for the simple reason that it was both unnecessary and (arguably) not quite as good as the first.

Pretty solid lists. Though I did admittedly like Final Fantasy 13.

I gather Yahtzee's previous sweeping stance on sequels has changed somewhat.

burn e:
(but i was kind of hoping for assasin's creed brotherhood to be on the top 5 good side)

He hinted in an old XP column that AC2 was probably in his Top 5 for 2009, but I doubt Brotherhood had enough new interesting stuff to win for this year, even with compelling multiplayer. (Summoning your assassins to aid you was pretty sweet; having to send them off on Mafia Wars-style missions to level them up was a lame cop-out.)

alex8039:

Julian Daniel:
I don't get why People like Amnesia. I couldn't find anything scary about it. It's just boring.

It's not overtly scary. Most of the scariness comes from your own mind, that requires a certain level of intelligence.

I saw what you did there.

A very interesting show here. I figured Kane and Lynch would be there somewhere..*watches for people from Gamespot*

I like this new format. It's actually better than the awards ceremony idea.

I still have to bitch at him for putting Other M at 2nd worst but not for the whole story thing because I'm over that. But the gameplay is not shit. That's an even stupider complaint then the whole "sexism" load. I've played Other M and didn't have a problem with it. Crackdown 2 played worse than Other M.

But at least he didn't put Super Mario Galaxy at #1 worst just to piss off Nintendo fans.

I'm surprised he put Just Cause 2 on the Best Of list, let alone at the top because I was under the impression that his opinion was 50/50 on that.

Interesting music choices, Yahtzee.

While for some Bioshock 2's arrival on the crap end of the list is a shock, to me it doesn't surprise. The reasoning behind this is my uncle pre-ordered the game and has YET to open the package, prefering instead to play the shyte out of Fallout 3: New Vegas.

And yes, 2010 was a generally disappointing year for most things. Though, when it comes to games, I've come to realize and accept the fact that when developers have little to work with, the result can be surprisingly awesome (reference FFVI, Chrono Trigger and a host of other awesomeness from the SNES era) while the other end of that spectrum is also generally true (reference this video's 5 Worsts), given a few exceptions that you can place at the end of this sentence.

XD he had me going for a second with Halo Reach but in all honesty I completely agree with his top five worst games. However my top five of the year is probably not the same (and i canīt be bothered to think up a top 5 games i played this year) but i think Assassinīs Creed: Brotherhood would be up there along with Civ 5 (i have spent way too many hours "one more turn"-ing that game) but still have to agree with him (Dead rising never interested me so much cause from what I could see in game play videos the character controled like a tank i.e. realy stiff - could someone tell me if I am right on that suspicion or not)

Onyx Oblivion:
*is still in shock that Final Fantasy 13 wasn't considered his worst*

Just Cause 2 is something I can see at GOTY, though.

I did go for 100%, and then gave up around 45%. Huge game is huge.

I still liked FF13 and Bioshock 2, though.

do as i do, plug in, play 5 hours straight, realize you just made like %5 progress get out and forget about it for a month, then look at it again and think "damn, that game was fun!! iīll put it in again", play 5 hours straight, realize you just made...

you get my point haha, getion %100 is hard when you end up faffing about in the towns killing everything in sight, or stealing various flying vehicles to ram them as hard as you can to the floor right after jumping and saving yourselve by "hook shooting" you to the floor.

its fun and good, but progress that way is waaaay to hard hehe.

lol a great start to the zero punctuation series this year!

alex8039:

Giest4life:

alex8039:
Review

Is that in defense of the game? Because that is borderline retarded.

That's the foundation of any good psychological horror. Clearly this concept is wasted on you.

So say those who chew glass and claim it to be therapeutic within the right mindset. I'm glad the concept is wasted on me, because there must be something else that made me like this game. What's this, someone likes a game for a reason other than your own? *gasp*

Also Did he ever finish FF 13? Because he doesn't really have much right to put it on the list if he hasn't finished the game

Hey!

No bans on commmenting before watching the video? Is that a fi.... Actually better not say that.

Did love the burns though :)

wow amazing that he actually wanted to keep playing Just Cause 2 XD

HAZA, have the top 2, and didnt buy any of the worst games
though i do agree, Just Cause 2 was fun, but didnt deserve the top 5
Metro 2033 should have been on the list... did he review that game... *checks* ... dam... he might actually like that game...
shame limbo isnt on the pc, i kinda want it from what iv seen

I sort of agree with the list, except I don't think DR2 should have been that high up. When he said Fable 3 for the worst I was like that's pretty resonable, then he changed it :(

I'm somewhat perplexed at his rank for Just Cause 2... oh well.

I'm just gonna assume that everything on Top 5 Best is a must-buy, everything on Top 5 Worst is to be avoided at all cost, and everything not mentioned might be worth a look.

I was expecting FF13 to be higher actually. Ah well. Also I'm rather surprised by Just Cause 2, now I'm going to have to go learn more about it and see about picking up a copy someday. Someday far far in the future when I'm not buried under a backlog of Christmas and Steam Sale games, which includes Fallout New Vegas of which I've already played over 20 hours and it seems like that's nothing because I'm already thinking of making three saves of my first playthrough and beating it at least 3 or 4 different ways because I'm not sure what I really want to do.

Unhappy Crow:
And also Dead Rising 2, but after seeing all the DLC the 360 got, it makes the PS3 version feel left out.

The 360 and PS3 versions of DR2 got the same DLC, some costume packs. That's it. Case Zero and Case West are separate games that don't require DR2 to run, so they aren't really DLC for DR2. The only way you're missing anything by not having access to those games is in the same way you're missing things by not having Dead Rising 1 on the system: sure you're missing some story bits, but what you get on the DR2 disc is its own complete game with no pieces missing from its own experience.

Christ! You gave me a heart attack at the end...Twice!!

is anyone else having trouble making the link word?

Mechsoap:

Absolutely. I can't get any of them to work.

EDIT: Working fine now.

Mechsoap:

yeah i am
i really hope they fix this

I'd just assume every game was in his "Bottom 5." Nothing against Yahtzee, it's just his reviews make every game sound like they're not worth it and praise is very hard to find in his reviews. I know in his Batman: Arkham Asylum review he said everything he doesn't mention is fine and all, but even so it's kind of hard sometimes to distinguish between, "not mentioning it because it's fine," and, "not mentioning it because it's so wretched I can't bring myself to talk about it."

It took me about a dozen attempts before finally getting to see the video. The page was failing to load, just showing me the video title, program link and tags. Seriously, it was the only HTML that loaded on the page. Weird.

I have to say, I like the format. And I find it amusing the theme that was present in the top 5: all sandbox and/or horror/suspense.

The ending of that had me in most rambunctious chuckles! Heh. I nearly clobbered him when he said Fable 3, but then he burned me v_v

By the by, REVIEW FABLE 3, You indy-supporting integrity-retaining non-conformist glutus maximus.

The Great JT:
I'd just assume every game was in his "Bottom 5." Nothing against Yahtzee, it's just his reviews make every game sound like they're not worth it and praise is very hard to find in his reviews. I know in his Batman: Arkham Asylum review he said everything he doesn't mention is fine and all, but even so it's kind of hard sometimes to distinguish between, "not mentioning it because it's fine," and, "not mentioning it because it's so wretched I can't bring myself to talk about it."

That's a fair point, but you should understand that Yahtzee's reviews are not so much enjoyed when he's being positive. He realises this, admitted it, and is intentionally overly negative about everything. He is supposed to shine a dozen spotlights on every minute flaw of a game. Really, I tend to stop thinking of his videos as reviews and more like a paparazzi who just got pictures of a celebrity beating a small child with the chihuahua from her purse and is now spreading the bad press all over the net. If you watch his Infamous review though, you'll notice that sometimes he (albeit reluctantly) admits that he is looking for flaws too enthusiastically and acknowledges that the game is good. I tend to couple his review with another before judging a game.
I think he has to be highly negative to remain marketable, though.
Wow, now I sound like a Yahtzee fanboy.

I like the "the list is right/wrong" comments that should be "I think that" comments.

I was shocked that Batman wasn't the number one game seeing as it was awesome and Yahtzee gave it much love!

I haven't played most of those games, so I'm only going to say I enjoyed Other M. The overblast took a little getting used too and those sections where you had to look for something were atrocious but I had fun.

Just Cause 2 is the most fun game i have played throughout the year as well... :D

So is he going to actually review Fable 3, or...?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here