Zero Punctuation: Top 5 of 2010

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 19 NEXT

Did not expect Just Cause 2 to be in any list. After 80hours I just figured there isn't anything new to do anymore and wiped that bastard. A remarkable engine.

That Guy Who Phails:

Optimystic:
So is he going to actually review Fable 3, or...?

He said in Extra Punctuation that he isn't.

Which one? I missed that.

Nice list, I wouldn't have placed Just Cause 2 as number one but I completely agree with your "worst" list.
Now I would like to see a real review again Mr. Croshaw. After you mentioned and showed Fable 3 here, I guess it's the game for next week.

About Bioshock 2, yes I agree, improved gameplay yes but for a game that's about the story it's horrible, I could have made a better sequel than that! I have to look at Bioshock 2 more of a spinn off, or else it would completly kill the awesomeness in Bioshock 1, I mean when the multiplayer is more true to the story than the SP you know there's something wrong. I actually enjoyed it very much until I found out more of the story... Thumbs up for the multiplayer, booh for the singleplayer.

For the rest of the list I pretty much agree, RDR is my GOTY because I'm a huge wild west fan :) and I want to put AC Brotherhood in there instead of Dead Rising ._. a game shouldn't have a time limit to complete it, it's cruel.

I honestly thought God of War was getting GOTY. Now I am disappoint!

teh_Canape:
I must be the only one who actually likes Bioshock 2

No, I'm another. Despite it's flaws it still was one of the *best*, not worst, games of 2010.

It wouldn't be a real critic's list if I didn't disagree with at least one or two of the games chosen. I still haven't played Red Dead Redemption - not a fan of the Old West genre. The zombies, though, tempt me.

teh_Canape:
I must be the only one who actually likes Bioshock 2

Fret not, for I am one of the Bioshock 2 lovers as well!

alex8039:
Review

Julian Daniel:
I don't get why People like Amnesia. I couldn't find anything scary about it. It's just boring.

It's not overtly scary. Most of the scariness comes from your own mind, that requires a certain level of intelligence.

Don't say that, you just come across as smug.

Anyway I just got bioshock 2 used for Christmas. I told my brother to get it and I'm prepared to have low expectations for the story. I'll treat it as non-canon if that's necessary.

Alex Fornino:

Srdjan Tanaskovic:
Well I didn't except Yahtzee to hate Other M that much

It's mainly because of Samus being a whiny bitch when Ridley shows up and being a pawn of society like anyone NOT in classic video games. The gameplay isn't anything new besides the need to spam the control pad when a boss breathes fire or something at her.

Well Samus freaking out makes sense if you have read the manga (but the game does the huge misstake of not telling us just why she panics)

and what you mean with "being a pawn of society " ?

Ah i was waiting for Just Cause 2 to win a GOTY, and now it has the most prestigious of all.
Thank you Yahtzee.

Honestly, Bioshock 1 was terrible as well.

The Brit needs to lay off the JRPGs which he has already said he is biased against in ways that defy description. It's like me reviewing war shooters when I tell people to turn on a documentary and hold a controller in their hands...for 9 hours.

alex8039:
Review

Julian Daniel:
I don't get why People like Amnesia. I couldn't find anything scary about it. It's just boring.

It's not overtly scary. Most of the scariness comes from your own mind, that requires a certain level of intelligence.

ZINGGGGGG!!!!!!

And also very true. I still haven't finished it because I'm too afraid to continue. What does that say about my IQ? :)

alex8039:
Review

Julian Daniel:

Hmm. You could rephrase that seeing as you don't need intelligence to percieve fear it's really only a matter of perspective. Such as the case right now my mom would be in full terror mode if dozens of flies made it into our house but I would be amused at the chance to crush said flies and not be afraid at all. One event triggered both our reactions to flies but only one turned it into fear.

Ouch ouch ouch... number one worst game - that hurts. I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one on this planet who didn't mind the nauseating Youtube camera style and had a good time with it.

You liked Dead Rising 2? Just...why? It was boring, repetitive, still had the (Artificial)Intelligence of a fucking howler monkey, and had a story so terrible i uninstalled just 2 hours in.

Just Cause 2 however was fucking amazing, and still is. The short missions, shorter story line and bad voice acting can be ignored because the gameplay is utterly awesome.

Srdjan Tanaskovic:

Alex Fornino:

Srdjan Tanaskovic:
Well I didn't except Yahtzee to hate Other M that much

It's mainly because of Samus being a whiny bitch when Ridley shows up and being a pawn of society like anyone NOT in classic video games. The gameplay isn't anything new besides the need to spam the control pad when a boss breathes fire or something at her.

Well Samus freaking out makes sense if you have read the manga (but the game does the huge misstake of not telling us just why she panics)

and what you mean with "being a pawn of society " ?

I haven't read the manga, so I guess it was related to the moment of a scene with child Samus facing Ridley.
A "pawn of society" is someone who follows a leader (as in Adam). You don't see Mario following some non-player's orders much in-game.

Great lists and hillarious, erm, review? Well still funny!

I refuse to play Bioshock 2 being a fan of the original however there were definitely some bad games out this year that must be worse than it.
Don't agree with GOTY but was happy to see DR2 getting a mention. Mass Effect 2 would have made a nice addition to this list.

Oh and Brotherhood. Just sayin'.

lol he didnt even review Fable 3 did he? Well i thought he would like it cuz it almost forces you to be evil, it really does have a good moral choice system.

I was afraid that the massively overrated Mass Effect 2 would be his GOTY, and I'm glad it wasn't. I'm a little disappointed by the lack of Bayonetta, but all the games on his list were good, so it's hard to complain.

BlueberryMUNCH:
Bwaaaaaah, when are we gonna get back to the new games xP.
Oh well, still hilarious and on top form, wheyheyyy:'].

Tbh though...true as ever.

Except FFXIII. I loved FFXIII.
even though it was kinda disappointing ><

13 is good, but the barrier for entry in the game (or re-entry if you play it twice), is that god-dang first 10-15 hrs, and the horribly restrictive "open-ended" skill system. So I have no complaints for it being on that list.

And personally, I actually support the idea of Fable 3 being #1 shittiest game. Molyneux needs to learn to stay out of view, as whatever job he has, I'm betting he wastes all that time he could be doing that to parade about in the media about how awesome his games are, when the last "awesome" game made was Fable 1.

Alex Fornino:

I haven't read the manga, so I guess it was related to the moment of a scene with child Samus facing Ridley.
A "pawn of society" is someone who follows a leader (as in Adam). You don't see Mario following some non-player's orders much in-game.

well a soldier has to follow his commander

and a bounty hunter has to follow the orders of the people who hire them

NicolasMarinus:
I still haven't finished it because I'm too afraid to continue. What does that say about my IQ? :)

Nothing.

I really liked the format of this video, actually, although I wouldn't consider Just Cause 2 the game of the year (I wouldn't buy it either, since the demo fulfills all my grappling/parachuting needs). I think it's strange that Yahtzee is so big on sandbox games, but didn't even mention Minecraft, which is easily one of the most successful and most innovative games of the year. Maybe he hasn't played it.

Dammit! I still want to know what Yahtzee thought of Fable 3!!

I'm surprised JC2 was his top game. I though I remember his review saying that the few fun parts were totally pulled down by all the crap and shallowness. Though, I have to agree. It is the kind of game that you just want to play, even though it's horribly stupid.

Might as well give that first place on the worst list to all three of those games, they are all equally shit and they all killed my intrest in their series. Thank god the halo bungie makes is actually staying down, but fable and K&L could still carry on. Wonderful.

Liking the fact that two of my favorite games got on the best list, Dead rising 2 and Red Dead but just cause 2 as the best? It was alright I guess, but I got more fun out of the other two personally and still do.

Also, I got a Charlie Brooker feel from this episode. The slow talk for the negtive part just really sounded like him. Even the negtive music used was is in his regular show Newswipe and the most recent show he did for Christmas.

jrcillian:
The Brit needs to lay off the JRPGs which he has already said he is biased against in ways that defy description. It's like me reviewing war shooters when I tell people to turn on a documentary and hold a controller in their hands...for 9 hours.

To be fair, most JRPG fans I've seen described FF 13 as "disappointing".

Well, I'm glad he appreciated RDR for what it's worth :)

I fear star wars will never die...
Games, movies, TV shows, comics, novels, toys will just continue to be released until humanity as a whole dies out.

To be fair I think even Yahtzee would conceed that Bioshock 2 wasn't that bad in most areas by virtue of the fact that it was almost identical to Bioshock 1. He just hated it because it had no reason to exist and wasn't as good as its predecesor.

Though personally I don't get the idea that there's no room for another Bioshock. The first game told a tiny, tiny, tiny portion of Rapture's story. There's so much more that can be told within the game's canon. So much so that, to me, it would seem absolutely bat-shit absurd to only have one Bioshock game. So I really don't get where Yahtzee is coming from at all. Having said that I hate both games because the combat is about as satisfying as eating cardboard.

Also I think FF13 should have been number 2 on the shit list. I want my 45 hours back...now! Getting cash for selling that game literally felt like I was getting compensation from an injury claim...

-jaw drop-

Just Cause 2....

Really?

Haha my brother got it for Xmas....was quite entertaining and listening to him say

"HELP HE GOT ME WITH HIS WIRE THING!" - to his fav video game liness....

TestECull:
Oooh, did anyone else catch that Garry's Mod reference?

I genuinely want to see a Gmod review.

I have to say, I am quite genuinely surprised when he mentioned it too.

"...An almost Garry's Mod-like bundle of free-roaming fun..."

I wonder if Garry watches Zero Punctuation.

But anyway, while I haven't tried out Just Cause 2 yet, I'm contemplating buying it for sure now.

This got me thinking:

Who else would like to see a list of all the game yahtzee has reviewed orderd by how much he enjoyed them?

It would give us a good idea of how good exactly yahztee thinks a game is.

I cheered when he said Just Cause 2. That game deserved way more praise than it got.

I spent a lot of 2010 finally saving up money to get PS3 games from the early days. So frankly, I didn't play very many 2010 games. But my favorite that I got to play were Sonic Colors, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, and Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. But the next game on my to-get list is Red Dead Redemption, so we'll see.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here