Zero Punctuation: Top 5 of 2010

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 19 NEXT

Freechoice:

Babitz:
Finally someone who didn't include Mass Effect 2. You didn't disappoint, Yahtzee.

Damn straight. Seriously, I get the impression that Bioware fanboys are worse than Halo fanboys. Yeah, you don't have to deal with the QQ and racism/homophobia on XBL, but the second you raise even the slightest dissent about ME2 not being the greatest thing ever, you immediately get the tards from out under the woodwork.

The original was superior in the story, the one thing that Bioboys will consistently cite as the overarching reason it's the awesomest thing ever. Plus it had Wrex. And a big, stupid jellyfish. And an Asari that would actually put out.

you're mistaking halo fans with multiplayer fans. sure halo has got it's hardcore fanboys and it's REALLY immature fanboys but what game doesn't. you'll find the same people playing halo playing black ops, or bad company 2. my school is full of that kind of person.

as for mass effect... i agree. i liked the first one 'cause i'm a scifi nerd, but the second was barely worth playing besides legion. also, hype can murder games as much as they make them; sadly, they only kill them after the money's out of your pocket. i say this because the cinematic trailer got me REALLY excited; only for me to play a mediocre at best game.

i don't know why i just randomly spouted my opinion here, i was going to be succinct, but oh well.

Eddy-16:

The Great JT:
I'd just assume every game was in his "Bottom 5." Nothing against Yahtzee, it's just his reviews make every game sound like they're not worth it and praise is very hard to find in his reviews. I know in his Batman: Arkham Asylum review he said everything he doesn't mention is fine and all, but even so it's kind of hard sometimes to distinguish between, "not mentioning it because it's fine," and, "not mentioning it because it's so wretched I can't bring myself to talk about it."

He says why he makes the reviews like this, in one of his early reviews I think he says something like People don't like it when he likes a game and gives it a positive review no one likes it as much as when he rips the crap out of a game.

I thought that only applied to cases where people didn't find it as funny when he wasn't tearing games a new one, a la the Angry Video Game Nerd or The Spoony One.

Xocrates:

Anaklusmos:
I never realized BioShock 2 got any hate...

Bioshock 2 got plenty of hate, although it seems to have died down in the months following release as the (anti-)fanboys seem to have moved on and everyone else came to realize the game was actually good.

I think it has more to do with how awesome Bioshock: Infinite seems right now. Before its debut, a lot of Bioshock fans worried the series was just going to get worse and worse.

Bioshock 2 was the beginning of a series heading straight for the shitter (not a bad game but definitely missing that special something that the first one had), and that was the reason for all the hate.

BS:I has brought a lot of hope back into the series, therefor no more hate is needed.

Haha! Okay, that was funny with the Halo: Reach thing

Even then, Halo: Reach is still my game of the year

Seems like this whole "Top 5" was just an attempt to be different from all the other reviewers, and whilst I do generally agree that he is...looking back on his review of JuseCause2, I never got the impression that he actually enjoyed the game let alone enough to be GOTY.

Also, I can't remember which video it was on, or possibly it was an Extra Punctuation, but Yahtzee mentioned a list of games he would play again from this year. And it was more than just DeadRising and JustCause.

nice. i don't really buy newest games often, but i got the top 2 (and none of the others) and i still play them all the time. more dead rising than just cause though. Even though theres more jokes in DR2, just cause is so over the top it makes Capcom's ridiculously corny writing seem like a realistic reenactment.

BobisOnlyBob:
So in order to appease Yahtzee you must make an indie horror sandbox action game. Gotcha.

yeah pretty much

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Top 5 of 2010

This week, Zero Punctuation's Yahtzee lists his top 5 best and worst games of 2010.

Watch Video

Three sandbox-style games in the top spots? I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down, good sir.

well overall not too bad.. personally 3 of your top 5 games i would rate above average but nothing that actually got me truly interested, but your worst list i can easily see why you picked each game

so overall, color me in the agreed section.

Holy crap!

Did not see his game of the year being Just Cause 2, though it makes sense when I think about it for a nanosecond.

Freechoice:

Babitz:
Finally someone who didn't include Mass Effect 2. You didn't disappoint, Yahtzee.

Damn straight. Seriously, I get the impression that Bioware fanboys are worse than Halo fanboys. Yeah, you don't have to deal with the QQ and racism/homophobia on XBL, but the second you raise even the slightest dissent about ME2 not being the greatest thing ever, you immediately get the tards from out under the woodwork.

The original was superior in the story, the one thing that Bioboys will consistently cite as the overarching reason it's the awesomest thing ever. Plus it had Wrex. And a big, stupid jellyfish. And an Asari that would actually put out.

"A lot of people like a game and I disagree.

TO THE INTERNET."

More seriously, ME2 had considerably better gameplay, a less-remarkable, though still engrossing story, a more balanced, but disappointingly more simple character management system, a more streamlined and less pointless equipment system where the million guns aren't just the same model with larger numbers attached, an even worse resource collection minigame, an even more pointless and difficult-to-drive vehicle (at least this one was in the DLC), the same awesome setting and attention to consistency, and it also still had Wrex, albeit more briefly. And there is an asari who will put out...

As one of my friends put it, ME2 is the gaming equivalent of a heist movie: almost the entire game is collecting team members, learning their backstories, and outfitting yourself for the coming conflict. Then there's a final scene where you put it all into action. But even beyond that, you're building a team for the larger conflict in ME3. The narrative of ME1 was plot and setting-driving much more than character-driven and ME2 just reversed that. And, while people complain that it wasn't done to their satisfaction, I found the carrying forward of decisions from ME1 to be enormously fun.

shame he never did review fable 3

We have the same games in the top 3, but mine goes:
1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Just Cause 2
3. Dead Rising 2

You can tell a lot about someone's taste in games by their top 5 in any given year. Best and worst, really. Because most of the time, someone's worst games are memorable enough to make a list like that precisely because they're something that the person would normally be expected to like, but done so poorly that their flaws are amplified, turned up to 11, and otherwise taken out of all proportion to the actual nature of the flaw (Cities XL 2011, enjoy your place as my Worst Game of 2010.)

Giest4life:

alex8039:
Review

Julian Daniel:
I don't get why People like Amnesia. I couldn't find anything scary about it. It's just boring.

It's not overtly scary. Most of the scariness comes from your own mind, that requires a certain level of intelligence.

Is that in defense of the game? Because that is borderline retarded.

I think he means, in less rude terms that the game's horror comes from the atmosphere in the game. I'm not sure, but maybe the atmosphere didn't have much of an effect on you, either due to you not "getting" it, or not immersing yourself enough. On the contrary what he said, intelligence has nothing to do with the atmosphere, you just need to let it get in your head.

Gotta be a little submissive dare I say for it to have an effect, if you don't let the atmosphere crawl over you, you won't be able to enjoy it properly.

Not gonna lie, I expected Final Fantasy XIII on there, but I thought it'd be higher up on the list. Just Cause 2 surprised me though.

D_987:
Final Fantasy XIII was a bad game because it has a terrible core design. Kane and Lynch 2 is just trying to look shit.

That doesn't mean that it's a good idea. A game shouldn't get any sort of free pass if it purposely tries to be horrible, that's like saying ET is suddenly less of a horrible game because they tried to make it horrible on purpose.

Ah yahtzee, your comparison abilities will be gladly recycled in birthday parties ashare.

Nomanslander:
I think it has more to do with how awesome Bioshock: Infinite seems right now. Before its debut, a lot of Bioshock fans worried the series was just going to get worse and worse.

Bioshock 2 was the beginning of a series heading straight for the shitter (not a bad game but definitely missing that special something that the first one had), and that was the reason for all the hate.

BS:I has brought a lot of hope back into the series, therefor no more need for hate with the second game.

If an unreleased game that we only still have sketchy details about is a better reason than the fact Bioshock 2 is a better game than loads of people give it credit for (seriously, had the games been released in reverse order we would all be complaining how Bioshock didn't live up to Bioshock 2) I will lose what little faith in the gamer community I still may have.

A bit more seriously though, Bioshock 2 had three major problems: 1) it tried too much to be like the first game 2) it lacked many of the tiny details that made the first one so atmospheric (probably due to a shorter development time) 3) It was completely unecessary.

That said, none of that justifies a label of "bad game". Heck I've seen argued by several respectable game journalists that it's actually the better game, even plotwise (it's certainly more meaningful), so I simply don't buy it that people saw it as "beginning of a series heading straight for the shitter". At most it can be seen as the point where they started milking the franchise, something that Bioshock Infinite should do little to appease.

dududf:

Giest4life:

alex8039:
Review

It's not overtly scary. Most of the scariness comes from your own mind, that requires a certain level of intelligence.

Is that in defense of the game? Because that is borderline retarded.

I think he means, in less rude terms that the game's horror comes from the atmosphere in the game. I'm not sure, but maybe the atmosphere didn't have much of an effect on you, either due to you not "getting" it, or not immersing yourself enough. On the contrary what he said, intelligence has nothing to do with the atmosphere, you just need to let it get in your head.

Gotta be a little submissive dare I say for it to have an effect, if you don't let the atmosphere crawl over you, you won't be able to enjoy it properly.

I actually quiet liked the game, I was merely remarking on the behalf of another user.

Little tear when i thought he put my beloved reach at the bottom spot, followed by lulz!

I liked this sooo much. "Drumroll, waiting, stalling tactic" serious LOL. He should do this every year instead of the awards

Defense:
That doesn't mean that it's a good idea. A game shouldn't get any sort of free pass if it purposely tries to be horrible, that's like saying ET is suddenly less of a horrible game because they tried to make it horrible on purpose.

Please point out where I said it was a good idea. I didn't. I agree with your point, I just didn't think I needed to explain that fact in as much detail as you provided.

You do know that yin is the black side and Yang is the white, right? Just thought I'd clarify.

Anywho, Just Cause 2 was honestly one of the last games I'd expected him to choose for game of the year. I was expecting Dead Rising 2. Also, had he done the awards again, I had expected Bayonetta to get an award for most obvious over sexualization or something along that line. But hey, can't say no to any of them.

I loved the ending.

Yahtzee: Its Halo Reach!

Me: Well fuck you

Yahtzee: Just kidding, its Fable III!

Me: Well thats a little harsh

Yahtzee: Just kidding again, its Kane Lynch 2!

Me: Thats about right.

Loved Maple Leaf Rag in the background.

Anyway, I was SO shocked when he said Reach. In a split second, all the reasons I loved it and thought it was great flashed in my mind. Then he said he was joking and my blood pressure dropped like a lead balloon.

not played any of those games so can't really comment on the order but can comment on how they were delivered, liked it but the music in the background was kinda annoying.

I actually agree with this list! The best part is that Just Cause 2 can stand on its own parachute-grappling hook-plane legs with just its singleplayer. I must admit, I was surprised at how graphically detailed yet HUGE the game was. It took me literally 8 minutes with the fastest plane to get from one side to the other. The plot was nyeeeeeeh. The missions for the story though were fun as hell. And of course, the Michael Bay-style physics. Gotta love them, and you know why? Just 'cause!

BlueberryMUNCH:
I loved FFXIII.
even though it was kinda disappointing ><

Denial much?

I love the FF series too, but XIII was terrible

I'm just glad Star Wars will be safely back in the hands of Bioware for ToR

BlueInkAlchemist:

teh_Canape:
I must be the only one who actually likes Bioshock 2

Actually, I did too. Sure, it wasn't a necessary game or even all that original, but it still returned us to Rapture and expanded upon its people and society. It's like getting off a big steel roller-coaster and then traipsing over to its smaller, wooden cousin. It's not as good a ride and it's bumpier and more nauseating in places, but hey, it's still a ride!

OT: Nice use of music.

I actually really liked it. And I first thought it was worse than Bioshock 1, but after playing them back to back, I think Bioshock 2 wins because while its story and surprises weren't as good, it still had a good story, and much better gameplay, which I hear is important in videogames. Also the scene where you play as a little sister was fantastic.

A great video once again. Had me laughing the whole way through. I was surprised when you said Just Cause 2 because I've heard so many bad things about it, I thought no one liked it...but I guess I'm wrong and I'm glad I'm wrong. I will now have to buy it off steam. I personally liked Bioshock 2, although he's right in saying that it was uncalled for and a bad sequel if you compare it to the first...and I was really surprised when you said Halo: Reach as your worst game. Then you said Fable 3 and I shrugged and figured you would say it just 'cause you dislike Peter...but then you said Kane and Lynch and we had a good laugh and martini as we talked about how terrible that game was.

I have to admit, he got me with the Halo: Reach thing, lol.

Seriously though, Saints Row 2? Just Cause 2?

Anyone seeing a pattern? Apparently the formula for Yahtzee's love is a sandbox game that throws all conceptions of realism to the wind for stupidly chaotic and nonsensical fun.

Not that that's a bad thing, I was just surprised to notice the trend.

As much as I generally despise these types of comments:
Best video in a while.

The halo reach feign was just fantastic. Glad Samus's desicrated corpse made it into second place. Sure Fusion may have been a bit like that but it was story-light and didn't have TERRIBLE voice acting.

Jaime_Wolf:
"A lot of people like a game and I disagree.

TO THE INTERNET."
And there is an asari who will put out...

AND KILL YOU.

But seriously, it seems like the game was over-hyped and given too high a score. What was the average, like 96% on Metacritic? For all the reasons you stated, it was considered much better than the original despite having an equal or slightly lesser amount of problems. I also figure it didn't get any point deductions despite having the worse story and a very overused plot threat in the form of an ancient, omni-consuming race that just happens to have sentient life on its grocery list (Halo, SCII, I think Warhammer may have done it, but I dunno).

Kasumi DLC was the greatest aspect of ME2. Ambiance was masterful, music was beautiful and Kasumi is hands down the best character in that iteration of the series so far followed by Legion, but he loses points for having a loyalty mission that is basically a worse, less compelling version of the Rachni decision in the original. However, he gets points back for being voiced by Wesker.

Watch the stupid people be confused that he put games he complained about in his top spots, even though they were under the delusion that if you like a game you can't find fault in it.

That said; do people still like Final Fantasy? Really? How many brain cells do you have to lose at this point when you're defending a series the creators themselves no longer want anything to do with?

Think it's kinda funny Other M made the worst of list, since I had been doing so well in pretending it had never existed up until this point since whenever I think about it I can't manage to keep myself from getting pissed off. Curse you Japan, you schizophrenic, emotionally abusive bastards! Why can't I stop loving you!? ='(

Anyway, didn't really like Just Cause 2, but I agreed with the list besides that, which is kinda surprising, but whatevs.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here