Critical Miss: Children of Steam #1

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Omega Pirate:
Steam does not yet have many Mac games on it, when it does ill get it.

It does, actually.
And they're making their own games compatible with Macs.
Go.
Go now.

Oh Gabe.
You are so silly.
I personally LOVE Gabe jokes.
And if Steam went down id be fine.
Now that i have an Xbox im good to go....as soon as i send it in for repairs....
its a friends old one and the disc drive wont open or close on its own, + it scratches discs easily

Children of Men reference! Nice! Good movie and good comment.

coldfrog:
SO Gabe's computer is called "Punishment"? bizarre.

Time spent on his PC is time spent away from food!

I trust in Valve well enough. They wouldn't just go dark without giving their customers some method of accessing their game libraries (and if they didn't, I'd start a torch-bearing mob).

Hey guys, cmon now. Its not cool to make fun of Gabe just cause he's abit on the chubby side.

Its cool to make fun of him because he has the attention span of a wet sponge.

matrix3509:
The detail you are all missing is I'm pretty sure authentification is not a word, and if it is, it is completely the wrong word to use in that situation.

/Grammer Nazi

Are you going to tell Gabe what is and what isn't a word? He can make his own words if he wants!

HankMan:
NEWEL IS STILL A FAT BASTARD!

Damn, you! You just delayed ep3 another day!! But, yeah, he kind of is.

Sounds like the beginning of a great story, can't wait to see how it ends up!

I remember reading somewhere that they have plans in case steam were ever to do down permanently. Of all the crap I don't actually want on my computer, I like it the most.

this comic was so terrifying i reflexively clicked on my taskbar steam icon after the 3rd to last panel. whew, still there.

This is what I have blizzard products for.

This is why I love you guys.

and that's why i always buy a retail :D

seriously?? with the hundreds of patches to make your games work withouth Steam, im surprised someone actually thinks Steam is big enough to cause something simmilar to the end of the world.

but i loved the parody, it stays thruthfull but relevant :3

Great comic, didn't actually expect anything like this. Looking forward to witnessing the end of the world.

Sadly, after a long fight I had to sell my soul to Steam when Civilization V required it(and it even wasn't that great >.< ).

This is the scariest comic I have ever read.

Fortunately for me, I only use Steam for demos. AND THIS IS EXACTLY WHY.

Omega Pirate:
If they shut down steam..... I won't be effected at all. =) Truthfully I would love to get a steam account, but there are some hurdles. My PC is old and won't run most new games, and my laptop is Mac. Steam does not yet have many Mac games on it, when it does ill get it.

So is the fat guy the director of Valve?

STEAM HAS MAC GAMES! e.g. Portal, Team Fortress 2. Their all you need.

Omega Pirate:
If they shut down steam..... I won't be effected at all. =) Truthfully I would love to get a steam account, but there are some hurdles. My PC is old and won't run most new games, and my laptop is Mac. Steam does not yet have many Mac games on it, when it does ill get it.

It has quite a few Mac titles actually and yeah the "fay guy" is Gabe Newell, one of VALVe's founders. I say you get a steam account now just for the future, besides there are 3 or 4 entirely free games on steam

Woodsey:

Irridium:
And this is why I always make sure to have some cracks for my games handy. Because if worst comes to worst, I'll still be able to play the games I bought.

They have a patch ready if Steam ever shut down.

Do you believe that? Really?

IF Steam shuts down AND they set up servers to freely distribute the patches, THEN I'll believe it. Until then, Steam will remain relatively high on my "dodgy business practices" list... although not nearly so high as Ubisoft.

Lawyer105:

Woodsey:

Irridium:
And this is why I always make sure to have some cracks for my games handy. Because if worst comes to worst, I'll still be able to play the games I bought.

They have a patch ready if Steam ever shut down.

Do you believe that? Really?

IF Steam shuts down AND they set up servers to freely distribute the patches, THEN I'll believe it. Until then, Steam will remain relatively high on my "dodgy business practices" list... although not nearly so high as Ubisoft.

Err... And what are sites like Fileplanet for, exactly? They don't need to host their own servers to distribute it.

And yes, I believe it. Steam's been cracked a million times already so it's not like they'd have had to spend a long time on it, especially since they've got proper access to everything.

What's not to believe?

I love how suspicious people are of the studio most focused on it's community.

I admit I would feel upset too if Steam were to shut down. I've been a user for almost three weeks and so far, I'm enjoying it. I can finally play the games I've missed out or can't play.

*secrectly waiting for Episode 3 of Half Life 2*

How dare you make fun of Beloved leader Newell of the glorious PC Gaming Reich!

In this scenario, half of those 'lol fat Newell' jokes are part of a secret Stardock shadow campaign to force Newell's hand and make him enact the Freeman Protocols. Thus Stardock will be able to carry out a coup d'etat on the Fuhrer and Impulse will replace Steam as the primary digital distribution network of the PC Gaming Master-Race.

Ironically, all of Valves employees would be imprisoned in workcamps as political prisoners, forced to make endless Half-Life games on little to no food and Newell would actually lose tons of weight.

Mcoffey:
Ughhh, the very idea is scary for this poor soul with over 60 steam games. Admittedly most of them were sales, but that's still a big chunk of change now down the drain.

I have 187 on steam :)

GAH! no no no no no.... I have invested to much filthy dosh in this venture! And I intend to invest more, don't leave me!

Well so long as we can still at least play the games I'm fine. Most of the games I have on my laptop don't play through Steam anyway so it wouldn't be that much of a problem. And I also have my 360 with all the games for that, so I wouldn't really be all that bothered. My friend who has bought a shit ton of games of Steam on the other hand...

As soon as I read "Children of the Steam," I was like... waaaiit... will people on The Escapist get that reference? Looks like so far, nope.

The Hunger Games is sooooooo good.

Don't worry, Gabe knows better to bite the hand that feeds him, as he would associate it with his tongue...

Bad analogy. They have a plan if they stop making money on Steam, which isn't happening anytime soon.

I am not sure what my younger brother would do if Steam were to even go down temporarily.

I think I'd find him out on my porch, rocking back and forth muttering to himself about the possible Steam-deals he might be missing.

Moonlace:
As soon as I read "Children of the Steam," I was like... waaaiit... will people on The Escapist get that reference? Looks like so far, nope.

The Hunger Games is sooooooo good.

First two books were. Last book was like being hit over the head with a brick.

matrix3509:
The detail you are all missing is I'm pretty sure authentification is not a word, and if it is, it is completely the wrong word to use in that situation.

/Grammer Nazi

Authentification is actually the french variant of authentication. Gets used a lot in the UK.

Grey Carter:
First two books were. Last book was like being hit over the head with a brick.

Couldn't disagree more, but this isn't the place for a Mockingjay discussion. :)

Hmm, I have a theory why a threat to "postone" Episode 3 doesn't work ;-)

Nice comic by the way!

Jesus Phish:
I've often wondered what happens if Steam was to close. Would they release DRM removal kits to everyone before they closed, freeing up the games. Or would they hide behind legal stuff and try get out and leave us all to go online and look for cracks ourself.

They've stated before that they'll release a tool that allows you to free your games from Steam, in the unlikely event that they'll ever shut down.

If Steam ever went down, I'd just Pirate all the games I've bought of there.

I've already purchased the right to play them! Er... Right?
(If not then the self-justification will just have to do!)

I'd never have this problem with Good Old Games, (DRM Free, and already backed up onto my hardrive of storing +1).

alrekr:

Omega Pirate:

STEAM HAS MAC GAMES! e.g. Portal, Team Fortress 2. Their all you need.

To all that say that steam has Mac games, notice how I said "many". I am aware that they have Portal, Half-Life, Team Fortress 2, etc. However they only have, what, 155 games for Mac? Out of those 155 games I would only play a couple. I am not interested in indie games for that matter, I bought the Humble Bundle and that's enough of indie for me. When they start selling mainstream games for Mac ill consider it.

Also I already have the Orange Box for my xbox360, so I'm set with the Valve games.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here