Critical Miss: Children of Steam #1

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Haha yea let's continue to badger the people that created some of the best games ever made, along with the most efficient and massive platform for video game distribution of our generation. Take your time with HL2ep3 Valve we can wait.

OT: Very funny comic :D

Is it ironic that I got The Orange Box (A hard copy) about 3 days ago?

TestECull:
Google --> Steam crack --> Download --> Scan with over 9001 antivirus programs --> Install --> Not out of any of my Steam games. I'm not worried about Steam shutting down or going dark at all.

Piracy with a purpose? i Like it!

OT: You had me at Lord Newell. XD

Well I'm going to give Gabe a pat on the back for being such a good sport about his asshole like fans...

You thought I would crack a fat joke didn't you? That is why you kept reading right? Wrong!

*wisper* Chicken Wings ha...*wisper*

I feel a great disturbance in the web, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and then suddenly ran out of steam.

Go ahead, shut all conectivity to XBOX, XBOX 360, the playstations and all the other consoles, I'm a PC gamer so they won't affect me.

Omega Pirate:
If they shut down steam..... I won't be effected at all. =) Truthfully I would love to get a steam account, but there are some hurdles. My PC is old and won't run most new games, and my laptop is Mac. Steam does not yet have many Mac games on it, when it does ill get it.

So is the fat guy the director of Valve?

Steam has had Mac games for a while.

Omega Pirate:
If they shut down steam..... I won't be effected at all. =) Truthfully I would love to get a steam account, but there are some hurdles. My PC is old and won't run most new games, and my laptop is Mac. Steam does not yet have many Mac games on it, when it does ill get it.

So is the fat guy the director of Valve?

Yep, Robin Walker.

Seriously, you play steam for the old games anyway. :P

The time taken to release Episode 3 by Valve (a company I previously had a lot of respect for) is a damming statement on the whole episodic release model.

It's the single reason why I wont be buying Starcraft until all the campaign content is release, if at all.

felixader:

My hurdle is that you can use PayPal, but then you have to use a Credit Card anway. What the Fuck?

No, you don't.

Really I have a switch/debit card connected with my paypal acocunt and that works just fine.

I really wouldn't care that much.

I would just want a whole lot of my money back :V

In the words of Luke Skywalker, "NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Woodsey:

They have a patch ready if Steam ever shut down.

I know, its mainly a "worst case scenario" thing. Nothing wrong with having backups in case the worst happens.

I think he meant its old and slow. So that it can't handle steam. Framerate issue ect

Wasn't it Eclair yesterday? Now it's donuts.

So would the fanboys still praise Steam or would there be some bizarre mass suicide?

TrogzTheTroll:

it was actually eclair this morning. i noticed that too. the only guess i have is that people couldn't figure out what an eclair is

True Nero:

TrogzTheTroll:

it was actually eclair this morning. i noticed that too. the only guess i have is that people couldn't figure out what an eclair is

Honest answer? I had to go in and change the strip (some really bad typos there, I don't know how they got through) and Photoshop refused to do the accented little E for eclairs.

Grey Carter:

True Nero:

TrogzTheTroll:

Honest answer? I had to go in and change the strip (some really bad typos there, I don't know how they got through) and Photoshop refused to do the accented little E for eclairs.

ohhhh. i see. So i guess we were just hoping this would go by unnoticed then, huh? =P thanks for the fact and keep up the great work ^.^

Going through the history of Gabe's Wikipedia page always makes me laugh.

I would be pissed
Really really pissed
Funny comic tho

I feel a little sorry for Valve, they can't even so much as breath without someone calling Gabe Newell a fatass or complaining about episode 3.

Jesus Phish:
I've often wondered what happens if Steam was to close. Would they release DRM removal kits to everyone before they closed, freeing up the games. Or would they hide behind legal stuff and try get out and leave us all to go online and look for cracks ourself.

No one ever reads the terms and conditions.
Take a quick read, My ed games design teacher showed us.
You don't own those games, you own the right to play them.

Lucifer dern:

Jesus Phish:
I've often wondered what happens if Steam was to close. Would they release DRM removal kits to everyone before they closed, freeing up the games. Or would they hide behind legal stuff and try get out and leave us all to go online and look for cracks ourself.

No one ever reads the terms and conditions.
Take a quick read, My ed games design teacher showed us.
You don't own those games, you own the right to play them.

Of course people don't read them. They're stupidly long and usually written in jargon that puts people off reading them. As someone else has said, Valve have gone on record to say they've something in place in case they ever went down.

RastaBadger:

edthehyena:
I can't decide if I find this hilarious or horrifying...

Horrifying. Definitely horrifying.

+1 for definitely horrifying.

I mean c'mon, a truck-sized soda o.O
(and here I wish the forums would preserve breaklines when formatting posts because the comical effect is lost without them).

True Nero:

TrogzTheTroll:

I know what an "éclair" is to me (a.k.a. a very tasty bakery product that is frakking hard to find where I now live), but what did you mean by "eclair" ?

wildpeaks:

True Nero:

TrogzTheTroll:

I know what an "éclair" is to me (a.k.a. a very tasty bakery product that is frakking hard to find where I now live), but what did you mean by "eclair" ?

People didn't know what an eclair was?

Really?

Fail.

UberaDpmn:

wildpeaks:

True Nero:

People didn't know what an eclair was?

Really?

Fail.

Never EVER underestimate the [stupidity and] lack of knowledge of people, it's an unlimited natural ressource.

Spend enough time in UX development and you'll fortunately lose all hope in humanity's survival.
Also: lolcats.

Guest_Star:
Meh... Steam, Schmeam.
Asides from a couple of stupid titles that DEMAND I remain connected to the Steam (even if I have the actual factual retail discs) I wouldn't be affected (and that is the reason we have cracks).
Most'a my games are from GamersGate or GOG anyways.

As opposed to all those non-factual retail discs out there. Hoo boy.

Anyways, if Steam shut down, I'd kind of be annoyed for awhile. I guess. It'd suck for awhile, but I think I'd get over it.

I doubt he'd shut down steam unless he was suicidal. Didn't even know of the guy who made Steam before this.

yes that would indeed be the end of the world for me. 160+ games goes kaputs! Id have to do go outside O.O oh the HORROR! x.X

steam should go down to teach people that drm in any form is unacceptable

Please let Steam close down soon. I hate the stranglehold they have on the PC market.

What's happening with Steam??

matrix3509:
The detail you are all missing is I'm pretty sure authentification is not a word, and if it is, it is completely the wrong word to use in that situation.

/Grammer Nazi

Every time someone calls Gabe Newell fat, he adds an F to a word in the english lexicon... and everyone else has to use it too!

redbeta22:
Please let Steam close down soon. I hate the stranglehold they have on the PC market.

To be fair they only have that stranglehold because no other competitor has ever managed to "get right" every aspect of value-added that steam has, so nobody has exactly earned the right to compete seriously. Most of the other entries in the field are tripe like Games For Windows Live, which is obviously the product of multiple different development teams whose management staff either lack teamwork skills or are outright in a feud with one another.

If someone was actually capable of scraping together a competitor that didn't fail significantly at something customers currently receive from Steam, we wouldn't have that issue.

It's not like there isn't enough venture capital out there for established players to develop such a thing, either. They're just not competent enough to develop one yet. There are several good alternatives that do fewer things and do them well, but they still do fewer things, so people are going to be drawn to where the features they want are consolidated together.

A monopoly is never a good thing, but we have the competition to blame for that. Even competitors like Microsoft, which is a company that has specialized in questionably legal anti-competitive practices (and been ruled guilty of many clearly illegal ones), hasn't managed to edge their way in, because the competition has been about the appeal of the product to the customer, rather than the typical tools of monopolism: crime and subterfuge.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here