The Big Picture: All The World Is Waiting

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

All The World Is Waiting

This week, Bob looks at the origins of our favorite Amazonian.

Watch Video

I feel like this show is finally getting good after a kind of crappy start. Also, I could do without any of the reverb/pitch shifting effects for emphasis--it's lame and unnecessary.

There's definitely an interesting story to be had here - it's a shame Warner Brothers can't be bothered with good writers and film-makers for their superhero gigs outside of Christopher Nolan.

I would so see that movie, Wonder woman, a feminist in the 40's, that would be a trip.

I'm guessing that William would be rolling in his grave if he knew what happen to Wonder Woman after his death and the current state she is in at the moment.

Hell they could make a great film just about Marston!

another reason she hasn't had a movie: that costume is just too damn silly when worn in live-action. If they went for a sort of centurion look that'd probably work.

BlueInkAlchemist:
There's definitely an interesting story to be had here - it's a shame Warner Brothers can't be bothered with good writers and film-makers for their superhero gigs outside of Christopher Nolan.

Pair Nolan up with Gaiman for a HBO/Band of Brothers like series dealing with The Sandman or American Gods. Even Neverwhere might do well in such a setting, even if it has been done as a BBC series before.

They have made a good movie out of her origin, it just happened to be animated and direct-to-DVD. But seriously, I highly recommend the recent Wonder Woman animated movie for anyone even remotely interested in the character. Also, Nathan Fillion plays Steve Trevor, so it has that going for it, too.

Escapist, I don't mind the huge border ads, I do mind not being able to go back and click comments without reloading the whole page.

Another fantastic topic with another fantastic video. I keep having to show these to my girlfriend (who is incidentally the comic geek between us; see maidofmight.net) and she devours them. Keep doing great work Bob!

Well Wonder Women is my favorite female super hero. But she better look out for Pepper Pots whom thanks to some handy work from Tony is now Iron Women.

P.S. I know her real hero name is "Rescue" but I just don't like it

Thank you for not playing the "Her new costume hates America" card. That was some of the weakest sauce I've seen people bring to a debate in a long time.

MovieBob:
All The World Is Waiting

This week, Bob looks at the origins of our favorite Amazonian.

Watch Video

Eh, I didn't mind the costume change.

The original idea of women's empowerment, at least through Marston's presentation, reads more like male wish fulfillment that pays lip service to women's rights. Basically, wrap the story around how women can be strong and cast of chains and blah blah blah... and use that as an excuse to put some eye candy in there for the dudes. An island full of (exclusively) beautiful women untouched by men? Loads of bondage? A superhero built out of legs and cleavage?

I really don't think comics have found the balance between presenting a woman's independent sexuality as power... and just exploiting the sexuality of women with superpowers. Just because a woman's boobs are the source of her power over us as men doesn't mean that they're the rightful symbol of her strength.

(Don't get me wrong. I like boobs. But I also understand wanting to match Wonder Woman's appearance to her alleged ideals.

Wasn't there a time when she was recon to not being a goddess of some sort, but to being some professional assassin/mercenary taught by some old man or something? Sadly Wonder Woman gets jerked around a lot. I hope one day they get around to doing a movie for her. Hell Even a Justice League would cover it just because she is one of the big three. Or even an animated series on Wonder Woman would be cool. I mean Superman had one and Batman has had like...a lot. At least they did that DC animated Movie for her but I wish there was more.

Then it happens, the Wonder Woman film is announced and the reigns are given to...

...and we weep...

Great episode, it was cool to find out about WW's creators.

I was hoping you go into some more about the symbolism of the rest of her gear!

Wonder woman indirectly was one of three reasons I got into comics, And Im WAY into comics (read number one focus of my finances) my father read three major comics that I found when I was young. One was Dr. Who, another Gruu, the last was wonderwoman. He also talked about her constintly, being raised by a ultra feminist father (mother worked) I grew to respect her, oddly never read her, probly cause she often miss handled of late (apparently there has been some really good runs recently.) but this prais of comics from my father got me into comics, and is the reason really I enjoy all things about the general gamer culture, video games, board games, Pen and paper, larp, the whole enchilada.

The reason there hasn't been a Wonder Woman movie is the same reason there hasn't been a good Superman game the characters don't fit the media. With Wonder Woman the costume is ridiculous and nothing outside the origin story makes a good film, with Superman and games it's Superman being Superman.

I knew almost all of that, but it was still interesting to hear Bob's take on it (normally don't care much for anything other then his movie reviews tbh); and frankly I've always been more interested in the story behind the making of Wonder Woman then the Wonder Woman comics, she's an interesting character, but I only ever really cared when she was part of the Big Three (Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman) of DC (though the same could be said of Superman), the interaction between a immortal warrior, a super powered pacifist, and a paranoid genius always interested me.

www.cracked.com has it's own opinion about wonder woman. http://www.cracked.com/funny-839-wonder-woman/ and http://www.cracked.com/blog/if-wonder-woman-comics-were-more-honest-and-awesome/.

There is another that they show how wrong wonder woman went in the 70's, but I can't find it. Good video bob, really liked this one. One day I'd like a history lesson from you, u seem the kind of person who likes to read a lot.

So the 'Who Wonder Woman came to be" story is a lot more interesting that I would have ever thought // Thanks for the info Bob

-M

Diana got less weird over time?

Her current iteration is that she is Pygmalion, made of clay and was given the powers of Shazam, I mean the gods. This was after her mother got her soul from a caern of souls.

Back in world war two, she was a flesh and blood human that was just better than everyone else.

Huh?
I never would have guessed.

Maybe its because I'm more familiar with the Marvel universe than the DC one, but I always figured Wonder Woman was more of a token character.

More a of a gimmicky, "zomg, look shes a girl, but she's badass, so shes automatically cool".

I never would have guessed she was born under such unusual circumstances.

Not a bad vid, but nothing new--everything Bob said I already knew from at least two other Warner/DC DVD documentaries.

And no, Megan Fox would not make a good Wonder Woman. Donna Troy possibly, but Diana needs to be tall (6'+) and built like an Olympic athlete. She's an AMAZON for a reason.

Hollywood doesn't know how to do powerful female lead characters as far as I can tell (Ripley being the exception, although she had to become 'one of the guys' to be accepted) so they are probably never going to see it as a viable property.

Look what they did to Joss Whedon's 'girl power' icon Buffy, if my memory serves me right he had to go abroad to get the funding to make the series the way he wanted.

I actually LOVED that episode.

Moriarty70:
Thank you for not playing the "Her new costume hates America" card. That was some of the weakest sauce I've seen people bring to a debate in a long time.

Especially since her new costume is actually more patriotic.

Fr]anc[is:
Escapist, I don't mind the huge border ads, I do mind not being able to go back and click comments without reloading the whole page.

There is a Close button at the top right of the page.

OT: I think its a blessing that there hasnt een a WW movie due to the fact that it would prolly end up being much like the Catwomen movie and like the photoshop above they might cast someone horrible in the lead.

I always thought the villians were more important in making a good movie.

I don't know any wonderwoman villians.

Battle Catman:

And no, Megan Fox would not make a good Wonder Woman. Donna Troy possibly, but Diana needs to be tall (6'+) and built like an Olympic athlete. She's an AMAZON for a reason.

The problem which I think is what was being pointed out, is that Hollywood's not likely to follow that line of reasoning, and more likely to use WW as an excuse to slot in the "hottie of the week" to rope in the demographic rather than do justice to the character.

Though it does raise an interesting question as to who's actually qualified to take on the role. I'm not up on Hollywood starlets so I don't know who'd be in the running, but I didn't think there's a huge pool of tall, strong, well-talented, and sufficiently-attractive-in-Hollywood-terms actresses out there. (I'd love to be proven wrong if anyone has any suggestions.)

Nice. I didn't really know much about Wonder Woman, but then again, the same holds true for most other comic book superheroes.

Bob....You really need to take a course in DC history bub.

The first Wonder Woman was Queen Hippolyta who had traveled back in time to the 1940's and taken up her daughters mantle after her actions lead to Diana's death..

Also...WTF her bracelets, tiara, and lasso where forged by the gods to protect her and where givin as rewards for her beating out all other amazons in combat. They wherent chains.

Just goes to show, I think; you can make any character interesting if you give them a good writer who cares about telling the audience a great story.

There is nothing-absolutely nothing-wrong with Wonder Woman as a character. Now give her story to someone who gives a shit about her, pay them, and see what happens. I don't care if it's in animated format or a videogame or whatever. As long as the powers that be insist on dumbing her down, we will insist on not giving a fuck.

I'd have to say, no, this wouldn't work as a movie.

Simply because a live-action Wonder Woman would look ridiculous. She works as a comicbook character, she works as an animated character, but a live-action one? Hmm-no.
Why Superman does (barely) and she doesn't I don't really know. All I know is when I see a live-action Wonder Woman, I have unnerving flashbacks to the Masters of the Universe movie.

Maybe the reason she got that odd make-over was to make her more acceptable as a live-action character.

If they want to make a Wonder Woman movie, make it animated or not at all.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here