Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Best Popular Songs

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Top 5 Best Popular Songs

Recognize those songs in Call of Duty? Borderlands? Gran Turismo? Enjoy the sweet sounds of the Top 5 best uses of licensed music in games.

Watch Video

Totally agree with your No.1

I've left the main menu idle numerous times to listen to that song. It fits the game so well.

i sure hope ur t-shirt was a throw to the awesome music used to introduce the player to mexico! that for me should of been number 1. epic.

Need more of those two guys. The best humor is the type that makes fun of yourself.

Yeah, that song sets the mood for the rest of Borderlands so well that I initially thought it was made for it.

You should start every episode with a meeting of those guys. You did it in your first episode and you did it here. I loved them both. Something like that would be better than the cold opening you have now.

Nice list, I really did like most of those picks. That part of Black Ops was great, the Borderlands intro was fantastic.

I'd like to bring to your attention (and to the attention of our fellow escapists) a fantastic piece of work. Homeworld is a RTS game from 1999. Now the game itself is known for its fantastic soundtrack, which was all non-licensed music except for one particular tune. Now this tune is called Homeworld, by Yes. It was composed by the band specifically for the game, and included in their album "The Ladder".

Enjoy.

nice List I really think all 5 of them were great.

Now I'm off to listen to Poe and cage the elephant

So THAT'S the name of that song from Alan Wake! *Goes on Youtube to listen*

OT: Good episode.

Totally did not know Haunted was in Alan Wake. May have to check it out now. That album is one of my favorites of all time. Totally ahead of it's time and under rated. Listen to it while reading her brother's amazing book 'House of Leaves' and you will have nightmares. Perfect choice.

When it comes to the Stones though, Paint it Black as the intro to Twisted Metal: Black was more than awesome but that's just my opinion.

Totally agree on Borderlands too. I can't remember a game other than the TM:B where I sat through the intro each and every time.

Still Alive doesn't count? And no mention of Fallout? Ah well, taste figures into everything, I suppose.

Varewulf:
Still Alive doesn't count?

Key word "Licensed", which Still Alive isn't. (That goes for Portal and Mirror's Edge)

So, Sympathy for the Devil in Black Ops, but not Gimmie Shelter?

I haven't played the game, so is it just used in the marketing?

That jab at herself/the comments at the start has made me like this show even more. And I quite liked it to start with. Well, it took some getting used to, but... Whatever, that's another topic.

I'm surprised the Red Dead Redemption Mexico entrance music didn't make the list, but I liked it anyway. Kinda want to play Stubbs the Zombie and Alan Wake because of this. Think I've got the rest anyway...

Xocrates:

Varewulf:

Key word "Licensed", which Still Alive isn't.

Unless of course it's the Mirror's Edge Still Alive...

Zer_:
Nice list, I really did like most of those picks. That part of Black Ops was great, the Borderlands intro was fantastic.

I'd like to bring to your attention (and to the attention of our fellow escapists) a fantastic piece of work. Homeworld is a RTS game from 1999. Now the game itself is known for its fantastic soundtrack, which was all non-licensed music except for one particular tune. Now this tune is called Homeworld, by Yes. It was composed by the band specifically for the game, and included in their album "The Ladder".

Enjoy.

Totally agree with this one. This credit song made the ending even sweeter.

Varewulf:
And no mention of Fallout?

I agree with this, never has a licensed tune been so freaking haunting, atmospheric, and fitting to a grand game like Fallout.

FreelanceButler:
That jab at herself/the comments at the start has made me like this show even more. And I quite liked it to start with. Well, it took some getting used to, but... Whatever, that's another topic.

True that.

Yikes, it seems that Lisa has been reading the comments people leave her.

Well it serves them right. Despite what you may think of this show, no one has the right to bash her by saying all those mean things about her show not being serious.

Constructive and civilized criticism is fine, disrespecting the Escapist staff's creative work is not.

Couldn't agree more on #1. Good job!

zala-taichou:

Xocrates:

Varewulf:

Darn, seems my edit wasn't fast enough :P

Technically, I don't think it counts as licensed if it was made specifically for the game (wouldn't all music be licensed otherwise?).

Totally agree with most of the above (though I haven't played a few of the picked games), but I have to take exception that Fallout was left off the list. Although, I suppose Fallout would be the recipient of a "Lifetime Achievement Award" in the catagory.

I still have copies of The Ink Spots' and Louie Armstrong's 'Greatest Hits' albums from after I played Fallout 1&2... not to mention getting 'Butcher Pete' stuck in my head for over 3 months while playing Fallout 3. (Still haven't gotten Fallout:NV due to my ancient gaming rig being under the weather.)

Yes! "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" gets first place!

Why is Buzz Lightyear in a box :( He should be free!

On a more musical note...

That one has popped to my mind.

NFS:HP2 sound track was awesome :D

Xocrates:

zala-taichou:

Xocrates:

Darn, seems my edit wasn't fast enough :P

Technically, I don't think it counts as licensed if it was made specifically for the game (wouldn't all music be licensed otherwise?).

You're partially right. I know the Homeworld theme was specifically made for the game, but it was also included in Yes' album. It's kind of like a half-licensed song.

It has gotten to the point that whenever I hear a song from Cage the Elephant on the radio I want to go play Borderlands again.

Time to go and play Borderlands again.

Umm? No Crazy Taxi?

how about FlatOut?

that song IS FlatOut itself

AHHH. I'm going to have that damn song stuck in my head again. Took me months to get rid of!
'Cause there ain't no rest for the wicked...

DAMNIT!

Oh god I hate Change The Elephant. The singer makes me want to listen to destroy my radio. Oh Lisa Foiles, say it isn't so.

Does Simple and Clean count from Kingdom Hearts? I'm not sure if it was licensed or original. That song set the mood for the whole game.

Oh cool, I didn't realize that Alan Wake used the song "Haunted" (from the Poe album Haunted), a song in my own particular music collection (along with the rest of the album) that I particularly enjoy. It would have certainly been neat to discover that within the context of the game as I was playing it, but apparently Microsoft doesn't like the color of my money - oh well. But Poe's music is definitely cool - I've also enjoyed the work she's done with the Conjure One project so far.

I am left slightly disappointed by the absence of Iron Maiden's "Aces High" from Carmageddon 2 in this top 5 list though, as I thought the use of that track (and a bunch of other Maiden songs) was an inspired use of licensed music, but one can't have every thing.

Haha, the scenes in the start and at the end reminded me of your sketches in All That! Could easily been one too though ;)

OT: I toally agree with nr.1, I love that game and the song. Ain't No Rest for The Wicked and In One Ear are my favourite songs by Cage the Elephant.

I found more Black ops gunning scene was more to show emotions going out in that war and the wish to return home.

BTW: we do care for what you say (well i do).

Big thumbs up on this one, very balanced list overall! Definatly seems like "of all time" rather than just focusing on current games.

The intro and outro skits also have potential. :)

I still own wipeout.

Loved the Borderlands reference, couldn't agree more!

The Cardigans -- totally. I fracking love that song!!

being a little bitchy here But that shirt makes your arms look really long and thin..... There like skeleton arms, ahh!! creepy.

Those arms are going to creep me out now, everytime I watch.....

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here