Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Best Popular Songs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

If it hasn't been mentioned yet (I didn't go through all 240+ replies), I'd like to add Paint it, Black by the Stones in Twisted Metal: Black. The title screen opens with just the first few bars, and that's all it needs to set the tone perfectly.

Canid117:
Yay Rogue Ale! The Oregon microbrewing industry gets a little free publicity.

Hells yeah! Northwest Represent!

(that said, I usually prefer Ninkasi to Rogue...)

KaiserBear:

Canid117:
Yay Rogue Ale! The Oregon microbrewing industry gets a little free publicity.

Hells yeah! Northwest Represent!

(that said, I usually prefer Ninkasi to Rogue...)

As long as it is from my sad little state it gets an inordinate amount of pride.

Just started Borderlands again (4th time) yesterday, and I agree with the song choice. The title is perfect. The sound creates exactly the vibe the game was going for. In a word, perfect.

Good songs, but you haven't play any FIFA game, Always had amazing songs.

I'm going to mention "Fly Me To The Moon" as redone in Bayonetta. The female vocalist really sells the style of the game and the character with that song.

Totally with you on COD and Borderlands. But my all time favourite is still Dreamer by Cast in Omega Boost.

copycatalyst:
If it hasn't been mentioned yet (I didn't go through all 240+ replies), I'd like to add Paint it, Black by the Stones in Twisted Metal: Black. The title screen opens with just the first few bars, and that's all it needs to set the tone perfectly.

I remember that! That was excellent.

Zer_:
Nice list, I really did like most of those picks. That part of Black Ops was great, the Borderlands intro was fantastic.

I'd like to bring to your attention (and to the attention of our fellow escapists) a fantastic piece of work. Homeworld is a RTS game from 1999. Now the game itself is known for its fantastic soundtrack, which was all non-licensed music except for one particular tune. Now this tune is called Homeworld, by Yes. It was composed by the band specifically for the game, and included in their album "The Ladder".

Enjoy.

That made my day, installing old Homeworld ASAP!

7 pages

>No Jet Set Radio Future
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVhmOp5DqWM

>No saints row 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdwnxcFYGXs

>No Osmosis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5U8bqFkpzc

whyyyyyyy

son I am so disappoint I registered to make this post

Major respect points for remembering My Favorite Game and that absolutely jaw dropping intro of GT2. I'm not a car fanatic, and even I got totally hooked.

And the Borderlands intro is, indeed, awesome.

US intro in GT2 is rubbish. Japan version is much better in every way including music - "Moon Over the Castle" is just fantastic.

I'm gonna totally agree with No. 1 and 5 on the list.

Really good list. Although I'm not a huge fan of CoDBlops, I was watching my brother play it when The Stones kicked in and it was a brilliant touch. I also think Gran Turismo games have been spot on with their soundtrack most of the time.

As for my what I'd add, I'll echo the Crazy Taxi comments and chuck in Rob Zombie's "Superbeast" being used in Twisted Metal (forgotten which of the series it appeared in now). Actually, "Paint It Black" by the Rolling Stones in Twisted Metal Black was brilliant as well (woot more Stones).

awesome 5 new songs for me :3

'Ain't No Rest for the Wicked' is the best evee. It instantly became my mobile ringtone when I heard the song in Borderlands.

Nice list, Ain't no rest for the wicked suited the game well.

....needs more fallout :P

Agreed! Haunted is the perfect tune for Alan Wake, so is No Rest For The Wicked to Borderlands.
I'd suggest "Late Goodbye" in the end of Max Payne 2 (wonderful song)... but I'm not sure if it was composed for the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atKv1JyQgV8

Im still bemused as to how Black Ops got Sympathy For the Devil yet they never licenced it to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas... Sometimes i hate this world.

Lordmarkus:

Zer_:
Nice list, I really did like most of those picks. That part of Black Ops was great, the Borderlands intro was fantastic.

I'd like to bring to your attention (and to the attention of our fellow escapists) a fantastic piece of work. Homeworld is a RTS game from 1999. Now the game itself is known for its fantastic soundtrack, which was all non-licensed music except for one particular tune. Now this tune is called Homeworld, by Yes. It was composed by the band specifically for the game, and included in their album "The Ladder".

Enjoy.

Wait, Yes did a feature tune for a video game? Why wasn't I told?!

I seriously need to get Homeworld soon.

Yeah, a trailer of Homeworld came with The Ladder. There is also an interview video.

Poe is awesome.

I hated Borderlands, and I thought that the song felt out of place for the setting, but that into *did* kick vast quantities of ass.

The first minute and a half basically sums it all up!

ALSO where was BF: Vietnam?!

Wow the Borderlands intro is so awesome, hell, after seing them there i found out more about them, and we covered their song "In one ear" in a band im playing in, which is an amazing song too.

But i wanna pull out some more nostalgia, cuz nothing made my day more than the "Buck Bumble"- intro, which is a game for N94. I was only 10 back then though, but still^^

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0DDY299Ly4]

What, no Assassin's Creed 2? Jesper Kyd's a legend.

Zer_:

Enjoy.

Agreed Homeworld is fantastic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And On an unrelated note. I think Lisa misspoke on #2, the correct answer is actually "War" by Poets of the Fall. In fact, the 1 and 1/2 best licensed song would then be "Late Goodbye" by Poets of the Fall for Max Payne 2.

havass:
What, no Assassin's Creed 2? Jesper Kyd's a legend.

Because it isn't a licensed song. It's orchestral scoring and therefore doesn't qualify for the list.

God, I love that number one pick. I used to watch the intro over and over and over again, just to listen to that song.

And I never skipped it when I started the game. That has never happened before.

I kind of think Planetary (GO!) belongs on that list, but I'm motivated more by a general fanboyish adoration for MCR and less by an actual critique of the song's usefulness in building the game's atmosphere.

For a rolling stones song I prefer the use of painted black in twisted metal black than the one mentioned

Holy shit, I just remembered my favorite licenced song in a game.

Well, it was a trailer/cutscene before one mission but still, its beautiful.

Song is: "Shadow on the Sun" by Audioslave. (Great song too.)

Also, Black Ops using that Rolling Stones song IN the middle of battle just earned some major respect points from me. (Still need to rent that game.)

I love the Stubbs soundtrack! Nice picks.. you seem happier in front of the camera too, these are getting better. c:

Throughout the whole thing, my mind was going "Jet Set Radio! Jet Set Radio! Jet Set Radio! Jet Set Radio! Jet Set Radio! Jet Set Radio!"

Bit disappointed, it, in my opinion, has the single greatest soundtrack.

It was only after it ended I remembered that the songs were made for game and (as far as I'm aware) weren't licensed.

.. still.. jetsetradio..

Owlgravy:

It was only after it ended I remembered that the songs were made for game and (as far as I'm aware) weren't licensed.

Some of the songs were made for the game, some were licensed.

(Borderlands' end theme is better than the intro theme).

Keltrick:

aeric90:
Totally did not know Haunted was in Alan Wake. May have to check it out now. That album is one of my favorites of all time. Totally ahead of it's time and under rated. Listen to it while reading her brother's amazing book 'House of Leaves' and you will have nightmares. Perfect choice.

When it comes to the Stones though, Paint it Black as the intro to Twisted Metal: Black was more than awesome but that's just my opinion.

Totally agree on Borderlands too. I can't remember a game other than the TM:B where I sat through the intro each and every time.

Are you forgetting your avatar man ... I mean c'mon!

Varewulf:
no mention of Fallout? Ah well, taste figures into everything, I suppose.

Amen =/

Okay. I have to admit that "I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire" and "Kiss To Build A Dream On" will forever be associated to Fallout for me. Now here's the problem. I don't really love those songs. They're perfect for the game and fit really well with the retro-future aesthetic but they're not songs I really want to listen to. Pretty much everything else on the list is brain tunneling-ly catchy depending on your tastes. I have 3 of them on my iPod as we speak. I don't have either of the Fallout songs.

therandombear:
Haha, the scenes in the start and at the end reminded me of your sketches in All That! Could easily been one too though ;)

OT: I toally agree with nr.1, I love that game and the song. Ain't No Rest for The Wicked and In One Ear are my favourite songs by Cage the Elephant.

did you hear their new album, thank you happy birthday?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here