Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Best Popular Songs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

You totally missed out on claiming Flight of the Valkyries in Battlefield: Vietnam.
I mean what's cooler than flying a Huey while gunning down NVA's?
OR you could put Fortunate Son there and pretend you're in the opening scene for Forrest Gump.

Big improvement on last week. That was fun :)

i would of help you

i love lisa foiles... she makes rubbish tuesdays seem so much more worth getting up for. normally because the top 5 is something i agree with...

I did not made this far in COD black Ops, did not like it (taste is like an arse, everyone has it's own), I can't agree with you. Rolling Stones with Vietnam game was made waaay before in Battlefield Vietnam. The Cardigans on the other hand should be in first.

Also on side note. Your producers rock, keep'n real 2011!

Zer_:
Nice list, I really did like most of those picks. That part of Black Ops was great, the Borderlands intro was fantastic.

I'd like to bring to your attention (and to the attention of our fellow escapists) a fantastic piece of work. Homeworld is a RTS game from 1999. Now the game itself is known for its fantastic soundtrack, which was all non-licensed music except for one particular tune. Now this tune is called Homeworld, by Yes. It was composed by the band specifically for the game, and included in their album "The Ladder".

Enjoy.

Sound of My Frickin Childhood, also late teens, damn i bugged my Teachers with this playing while i worked in class XD

my fav licensed song is probably redemtion from Gackt (one of if not the greatest japanese singer ever) in Final Fantasy dirge of cerberus (say what you want about the game but when the song kicks in in the final chapter you know that epic things are going on)

the second for me would be Fly me to the moon in Bayonetta i never would have thought it could be this much fun beating up angels to this song (that sentance sounds deliciously evil)

Side note: Redemtion in Dirge of cerberus is the song that turned me into a Gackt fan (first time i heard Gackt was in the final chapter of the game and Ive been hoocked ever since)

What about the Waltz Of The Flowers in Bioshock?

What, no 'M4 Part 2' by The Faunts?

I haven't even played any of these games :( I liked the set up for this week, not so much the actual list.

Fallout and Bioshock made excellent use of licensed period music to set the 50s atmosphere. GTA too did a great job of using period music to great effect. The examples on the list seem kind of...lazy? Sympathy for the Devil is pretty cliched and in context a bit questionable (blitzkrieg!). Honestly though, I think my favourite songs in games are invariably original ones.

I didn't know that the Poe song was in Alan Wake... This may sound silly, but I might have to buy the game now. I was on the fence about it, but this may help tip the scale.

Xocrates:

Varewulf:
Still Alive doesn't count?

Key word "Licensed", which Still Alive isn't. (That goes for Portal and Mirror's Edge)

Also, if not for its Portal references and humor, would that song really be worth anything? That kind of occurred to me once I tried playing the song to someone who had never played Portal (or any Valve games for that matter).

ForgottenPr0digy:
nice List I really think all 5 of them were great.

Now I'm off to listen to Poe and cage the elephant

Am I the only one that thinks "All I Want" and Crazy Taxi should be on there?

or how about Return Fire playing Flight of the bumblebee every time you use the lightly armored jeep that has to dodge bullets

or when it plays flight of the Valkyrie whenever you take off in a helicopter?

This wasn't triumph...
I'm making a note here: EPIC FAIL
It's hard to overstate my frustration...

No still alive...
What have you done! What is happening to the REALITY?!

Good list and the intro should shut up the trolls.

Apart from QuakeII allowing me to insert a random CD that it selected songs from, I am partial to Rock'n'Roll Queen by the Subways in Saints Row 2. It's just a song on one of the stations but man did I ever destroy that town when that song was playing.

No Crazy Taxi? And no shout out to Rock And Roll Racing? For shame...

theriddlen:
This wasn't triumph...

No still alive...

That isn't a licensed song...

Methinks some people to need realise this.

I really liked this episode, best one yet.

Now that is a nice hook.

Give every Top 5 a little story of it's own, like the Sunday funnies. That way it won't seem like a random list.

Also, you're pretty damn good at fake-crying; I almost felt guilty... Almost.

Good list!
May I add The Saboteur?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7xKlOwbSpI

Daystar Clarion:

theriddlen:
This wasn't triumph...

No still alive...

Title says "Best Popular Songs".
Still Alive is more popular than songs listed in this video.

BORDERLANDS

CAGE THE ELEPHANT

YES.

That's all I have to say.

theriddlen:

Daystar Clarion:

theriddlen:
This wasn't triumph...

No still alive...

Title says "Best Popular Songs".
Still Alive is more popular than songs listed in this video.

And if you watched the video, you'd realise she was talking about licensed songs, because, you know, she says licensed songs.

Cardigans' My Favourite Game in a racing game seems to fit since their video for the song was of them playing chicken on the highway

these top 5's are actually really good. I've totally becomen a fan of Lisa Foiles in just a few days.
I look forward to next tuesday.

I like the nod to the Rolling Stones, but even better was Paint it, Black as the theme song to Twisted Metal: Black. I thought the song and the game fit together perfectly, and to this day I still always think of that game when I hear the song (and it is one of my favorites from them along with Sympathy for the Devil).

Wow, I can't believe that worked (those of who are supposed to know what i mean, already do)
This video was awesome, especially the skit at the beginning. Ms. Foiles color me a FAN.
And I love the shirt. I wish i had an RDR shirt. Heck i wish i had RDR :(

I agree with the No. 1, Borderlands has by far the best intro of any game. Though I'm disappointed by no mention of EAtrax as the whole soundtrack to SSX 3 was varied and awesome.

Man, I'm surprised. This was SUBSTANTIALLY better then any previous videos. Lisa actually came off as very likable and professional this time, and those were some really great choices.(Love the Borderlands intro) Keep up the good work!

Now that was some serious good choices!!

Many of your top 5 have been entertaining but didn't really seem to say much (top 5 shoes?)....but I totally agree with these choices especially your #1 pick. Borederlands really did rock hard with it's choice of music and the intro drew me into that game like none other.

Still no return of your cat, but loving your show:)

i didnt really like borderlands, so the no. 1 wasnt really all that special to me

Best use of licensed music:

(ok, so it's not released yet, but still!)

Woo! Still liking it, and this style's gotten a better reception in general. I agree that starting the show with your two friends (or whoever they are) is a good plan. Looking forward to next Tuesday.

Haha, was the intro and the ending, some feedback Lisa got about her work or something? Don't mind what people say about you. You keep doing what you are doing. People are either going to agree,disagree,like or dislike what you have to say on your top 5. That is what you want, right? I haven't played Borderlands yet, but I do want to now.

Fantastic shout.
I'd totally forgotten about that intro movie until you mentioned the song and I was like "oh shit, that was awesome." Made me want to play Borderlands again.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here