Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Best Popular Songs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Onyx Oblivion:

Umm? No Crazy Taxi?

YES! Awesome call. I was so angry when I saw the release on XboxLive didn't have any of the Offspring's tracks, it completely lost the wild feel for me and thus, I have yet to purchase it.

I will add with the mention of Umm? No Twisted Metal Black? The use of The Rolling Stones "Paint it Black" was both ironic and added to the creepy tone of the game's depraved and outlandish cast of characters so well. For me, it made the credits more fun to watch than half the games I've seen come out in the last year were to play.

I love your choices - I may pick up one or two of these just for the music...Stubbs should have been a bit higher imo, but otherwise nicely done. I actually took this episode seriously! :)

TheDarkestDerp:

Onyx Oblivion:

Umm? No Crazy Taxi?

YES! Awesome call. I was so angry when I saw the release on XboxLive didn't have any of the Offspring's tracks, it completely lost the wild feel for me and thus, I have yet to purchase it.

I will add with the mention of Umm? No Twisted Metal Black? The use of The Rolling Stones "Paint it Black" was both ironic and added to the creepy tone of the game's depraved and outlandish cast of characters so well. For me, it made the credits more fun to watch than half the games I've seen come out in the last year were to play.

Me too....what a total burn! I downloaded the xbla demo JUST to hear this song!! Assclowns put some new hip skater stuff in there instead. BOO!

Ugh, LOVE LOVE LOVE this list. I had totally forgotten about Stubbs music until I heard the name and it Immediately took me back to all the great music, and the police chief dance-off. So good.

And I too am extremely guilty of leaving Borderlands on the main screen just to let this song play.

all good although I would have put madworld with gears of war in there, awesome tralier, spawned a whole set of copy cat adverts and just rocked tbh.

SupahGamuh:

Aptspire:
right... 'licensed'
those are good songs
if you're gonna do 'original score', however, you may need a top 100
like:

You forgot to add in your MGS section this one, it gives me the willies whenever I hear it, very powerful song played in appropiate and emotional moments of the game.

that's because I tried to give an excerpt (If i put in all the songs I liked, there'd be 30 more SOTC songs o_O)

Agreed 100% with your #1 spot. I wasn't sure what to expect when I first bought Borderlands, but that opening sequence automatically assured me that I had made a worthy purchase!

Maybe it's been said, but are you sure it's wipeout that pioneered the licensed game music effort?

(technically those could be just covers though, I don't know)

Borderlands definitely as number 1 - good choice. Not too bad of a list in general I loved Stubbs the zombie.

I'm so with you on Cage the Elephant, awesome song to open an awesome game. Admittedly, it's the only song I've heard from the band, but I've heard the rest of their stuff aint that good. I would say that I think you got the wrong Stones song off of Black Ops. "Gimmie Shelter" is so much better, especially when it was used in the trailers.

Archetypal_Maniac:
So people like this shit? Probably spends more time on her make up than actually playing the fucking games. Jesus Christ.

Someone might want to start writing up the memorial post now.

Poe Old Gods Of Asgard in Alan Wake :D

Eh, it is heavily based on opinion, but that battle on the stage to Children of the Elder God was too good.
Also, I believe the song was written for the game; so it does not count here.

OH MY GOD SHE'S WEARING CLOTHING TODAY!

Anyway, I totally agree with your choice for Stubbs the Zombie. Christ that was my favrotie game back when X-Box was new.
Good times man, good times...

What's Brutal Legend with the heavy metal soundtrack? Still a half-assed adventure game.

Woo! The Cardigans!

I should sleep.

Glad to See Cage the Elephant and Poe.

But what about Rob Zombie's Dragula in Sled Storm?

Scrythe:

Or Lacuna Coil's "Swamped" on Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Don't Forget Lecher Bitch by the Genitorturers was on that soundtrack too

I still want to kick my ex bf's ass for stealing that game from me!!!!

Absolutely agree with your number one! When I first played Borderlands it was totally awesome because I was like: hey, I Know that song!

Defintely my favourite of this series so far. Lias's definitely finding her feet.

Plus it's much easier to watch and pay attention to without the cleavage, and the intro/outro were certainly a plus.

i agree with the whole top 5, great choices lisa

Zer_:
Nice list, I really did like most of those picks. That part of Black Ops was great, the Borderlands intro was fantastic.

I'd like to bring to your attention (and to the attention of our fellow escapists) a fantastic piece of work. Homeworld is a RTS game from 1999. Now the game itself is known for its fantastic soundtrack, which was all non-licensed music except for one particular tune. Now this tune is called Homeworld, by Yes. It was composed by the band specifically for the game, and included in their album "The Ladder".

I love that song, although I can see it being left out of the top 5 as it *was* end-credits music.

Still, I agree with the Number 1. That song single-handedly sold me on Borderlands. Like an earlier poster wrote, I'll leave it on at the main menu (or even start a new character) just so the video plays again.

Does anyone else, even if you know what vicious monsters skags are, go "Wait, no, don't go on the road, don't go on the - Oh, why did you go on the road?" during that cinematic?

Was this paid for? Good list though, but I would have like Red Dead there or something.

Varewulf:
And no mention of Fallout

I'd say Fallout falls into the same category as the music in GTA and Bioshock. It's there and provides a nice contrast to the rest of the world, but it isn't as necessary to the mood and scene as the ones in this list. If you compare them, you see that they are all are either cutscenes or highly scripted, planned and timed events. This makes the music more important.

I wish you had put in Crazy Taxi with Offspring like to many others have suggested.

Great show! I have to admit, that fake crying I found endearing and cute. Nice jab at the comments of people who criticized the show.

I have the exact same PONG shirt! Freaking amazing! I bet you got that from Old Navy cause that is where I got mine.

YEAAAA!
This was the best one so far! Just seeing the Black Ops and Borderlands clips again gave me goosebumps!
I think honorable mention needs to be given to the new GT5 intro, for me I just sat there for about 5 minutes having a "crisis"

Zer_:
Nice list, I really did like most of those picks. That part of Black Ops was great, the Borderlands intro was fantastic.

I'd like to bring to your attention (and to the attention of our fellow escapists) a fantastic piece of work. Homeworld is a RTS game from 1999. Now the game itself is known for its fantastic soundtrack, which was all non-licensed music except for one particular tune. Now this tune is called Homeworld, by Yes. It was composed by the band specifically for the game, and included in their album "The Ladder".

Enjoy.

Wow man, lot of respect for the nod towards Homeworld, what an epic RTS and that sound track made the game in my opinion. Not that it wasn't great for other things but well you've played it so you know.

This is the first episode of top 5 i've watched i'll have to check out the other list now. Pretty amusing.

SantoUno:

Yikes, it seems that Lisa has been reading the comments people leave her.

Well it serves them right. Despite what you may think of this show, no one has the right to bash her by saying all those mean things about her show not being serious.

Constructive and civilized criticism is fine, disrespecting the Escapist staff's creative work is not.

It certainly seems like that. Jeans and a t-shirt instead of a cute frilly thing? A reference to the comment about her limited knowledge of gaming? (Very direct, too.) But I don't feel the quality of her show has been compromised. Personally, I'm really glad she's been listening to what people have to say. You can definitely see in the progression of this show, even though there aren't many episodes yet, that Lisa is an experienced actress. She can adapt to her audience without lowering the quality and personality in her show, which I think is a real sign of talent and experience.

Mad props for the top pick. The Borderlands intro just oozed style.

Thought not featured in the game, Set the World on Fire in a Fallout trailer and Beyond the Sea in a Bioshock trailer really helped to set the mood for both games.

My own personal pop song game moment: GTA San Andreas. I was riding a Harley bike on a mountain road, and Freebird came on the radio. Fuck. Yeah.

NOTHING EVEN CLOSE TO METAL???? >:O NOT EVEN EPIC SYMPHONY???? T_T

Including Stubbs on this list made my day. Love that game, and I love the music in it. Here is a couple of tasty morsels:

I didn't know whether to feel bad or laugh at the introduction, so I laughed but went "awww" afterward. As for the music, I unfortunately haven't played any of the games mentioned, mostly due to my complete lack of most console systems, evar, but it's quite nice to know that plenty of people are also lovers of music. After all, it sets the pulse of the game, and the rhythm does wonders to influence the mind/body of the person behind the controller. There were a couple points in Half Life 2 where cool music kicked in, and I quite enjoyed myself for a few minutes. And then the music subsided, and so, too, did my enthusiasm. But that's neither here nor there.

Side note: does Ms. Foiles or her production team actually read these comments? If yes, that's awesome. No, really. It's appreciated that the content producers are aware of the community, and are also able to sort of cater to it. You know, more so than producing videos that have at least a tangential connection to games.

Amazing number 1 choice. Much better than anything I would have thought of (Rock of Ages in Brutal Legend, Push It in NHL 2000).

Boring. Good job hiding your tits though.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here